New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254041424344454647484950
Results 1,471 to 1,479 of 1479
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Personal Woes and Advice 3

The answer here is that they are lying to you and that's basically it. By saying "oh we turned away people with 20 years of experience" they where leading you into thinking, regardless of you conciously thinking it or not "oh they must think I'm at least comparable to that".

It's basically bull**** and they're just doing it because they know they can't afford to keep you on without giving you some sort of benefit that you'd be owed. The correct answer to their "this job wouldn't help you" is "yes it would it would give me money, so that I am capable of looking for more lucrative jobs in this field."

Possibly adding "you ass holes." at the end in your head.

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    The answer here is that they are lying to you and that's basically it. By saying "oh we turned away people with 20 years of experience" they where leading you into thinking, regardless of you conciously thinking it or not "oh they must think I'm at least comparable to that".

It's basically bull**** and they're just doing it because they know they can't afford to keep you on without giving you some sort of benefit that you'd be owed. The correct answer to their "this job wouldn't help you" is "yes it would it would give me money, so that I am capable of looking for more lucrative jobs in this field."

Possibly adding "you ass holes." at the end in your head.
    Except they have hired university students multiple years in a row without a problem. If they had to give people benefits for working multiple years and couldn't do that, they wouldn't have kept the university students on either.

And there's also the matter of them apparently considering keeping me on a month ago, which they wouldn't have done had this been the reason.
    Last edited by Dire Moose; 2015-08-29 at 02:05 AM.
    LGBTitp

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dire Moose View Post
    Except they have hired university students multiple years in a row without a problem. If they had to give people benefits for working multiple years and couldn't do that, they wouldn't have kept the university students on either.

And there's also the matter of them apparently considering keeping me on a month ago, which they wouldn't have done had this been the reason.
    People are fickle. Maybe it has to do with how long or how much work you've done. I don't know all the specifics, but the stuff I am bringing up are all possible reasons.

Suffice to say, good luck man, this sounds awful.

4. - Top - End - #1474
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dire Moose View Post

Might just be some money thing going on behind the scenes, they lost some funding, didn't get high attendance, whatever. I know there are multiple government programs that heavily or entirely subsidize university student employees, which could be why they are able to keep them while cutting down on other staff.
    Devoted artificer of the church of Scorching Ray.

5. - Top - End - #1475
    Bugbear in the Playground

I already knew they couldn't keep me for the fall. What they just told me today was that they would not hire me again for next summer if I applied. They mentioned nothing about funding or anything money related when I asked either.
    LGBTitp

6. - Top - End - #1476
    Ogre in the Playground

Seems to me their policy is "we generally don't re-hire non-students for multiple years in a row, unless they have really, really impressed us."

Since there's a lot of competition for these positions, it's possible to be good or even very good, yet not outstanding enough to justify an exception to their general rule.
    Offer good while supplies last. Two to a customer. Each item sold separately. Batteries not included. Mileage may vary. All sales are final. Allow six weeks for delivery. Some items not available. Some assembly required. Some restrictions may apply. All entries become our property. Employees not eligible. Entry fees not refundable. Local restrictions apply. Void where prohibited. Except in Indiana.

7. - Top - End - #1477
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

It's also possible that the person who described the exit interview to you wasn't aware of their policy regarding rehiring non-students. That seems like the simplest explanation to me - they give the same description to everyone, most of the people they talk to are uni students, they didn't think to modify it for you. Not everyone who works at an institution knows all their administrative policies, and it is honestly not a big deal if they make a small mistake in the description of what a future interview will cover, so I would not expect people to work hard to avoid such mistakes.

(As an analogy, I'm a junior professor at a university. I have previously said to students things like "Well, have you thought about trying out the tutoring program?" and then later found out that a tutoring program wasn't available for the particular class they were having trouble with, due to low enrollment numbers. This does not mean I was taunting the student, or that they lost eligibility for the tutoring program for some mysterious reason between that conversation and when I next talked to them, or that I'm lying about the low enrollment numbers - it means I wasn't aware of a relevant restriction on the tutoring program until the second time we talked.)

It might have been something you did, and they may be trying to spare your feelings. For future reference, if you think this is going on, sometimes asking "Was there any other factor, besides my non-student status? If I did anything wrong, I'd like to know so I can correct it in my next job" will get past people's natural tendency to want to avoid hurting you. (And they may feel that since you're not coming back, criticizing your work now would come across as too-late and pointlessly hurtful.)

As far as things you might have done wrong, "doesn't take feedback well" seems like the one thing that stands out to me (forgetting a backpack on the first day seems trivial, unless they thought it was part of a general pattern of ill-preparedness). It could just be a matter of how they perceived your reaction - you say you changed what you were doing when corrected, but if you did it grudgingly or complaining, rather than with "Oh, wow, thanks for telling me, I'll fix that right away", that might have been an issue. Likewise, you might have been missing hints of "this is not the best way to do it" that fell short of actually saying "Dude, you're doing this wrong, do it this way instead".

That said, given you asked your supervisor and they had nothing negative to say, I'd bet on "whoever told you about the content of the exit interview wasn't thinking about their policy on rehiring non-students, either because they didn't know about it or they just forgot".

EDIT: Or yes, as lio45 said, they might mention to non-students that the question might be asked, even knowing that most of them won't get the option, because a few will (the most outstanding) and it's good to have an answer in mind.
    Last edited by Ifni; 2015-08-29 at 11:26 AM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    I must not argue on the Internet.
    Internet argument is the mind-killer.
    It is the little death that brings total aggravation.
    I will face my annoyance.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    When it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path.
    Where the irritation has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

8. - Top - End - #1478
    Ettin in the Playground

New thread time. If no-one makes one I might.
    I've started streaming again.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

9. - Top - End - #1479
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TechnOkami View Post
    New thread time. If no-one makes one I might.
    I'll take care of it.

NEW THREAD
    Last edited by Skeppio; 2015-08-30 at 01:27 AM.