New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 62122232425262728293031
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Stupid House Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Dagroth View Post
    Now you're creating a difference based on Capitalization.

What is the difference between a "celestial elf" and a "Celestial Elf"? In reading that sentence, without any outside context, the only difference is the capitalization.

In this sentence: "He is a Celestial Elf and his wife is an Elf so his son is a Half-Celestial Elf."; everything makes perfect, logical sense. When you take that sentence and apply the D&D templates for the terms Celestial & Half-Celestial, it does not make sense.
    I deliberately used the capitalization to help differentiate, yes, but to claim that I'm MAKING the distinction based on the capitalization is a reversal of cause and effect.

Put all the "c"s in my post as lower-case (save where sentence beginnings would make them capitalized anyway), and the meaning and truth of my post is unchanged. The distinction is between the noun "celestial" and the adjective "celestial." They are related, but distinct, words. "A grave error" and "a grave in which you are buried" are also examples of the same phoneme and letter-construct being used as different words, one of which is an adjective and the other a noun.

A celestial creature is not a celestial, any more than a grave error is an error in which one inters a corpse.

If you want to say that, genetically, the half-breed offspring would have greater potential, you are correct. However, the base results (applying both templates to a 1 HD being) do not show that.
    I don't think anybody is making that claim.

You are all arguing from the stance of "these words are defined in this way in D&D". I am arguing from the point of "without the arbitrary definitions supplied by D&D, the terms should indicate that a Celestial is greater than a Half-Celestial".
    Even that doesn't actually hold true, though it is the intent. A celestial is meant to be greater in power than its half-celestial offspring. Again, though, a celestial creature is NOT a celestial. It's a creature to which the adjective "celestial" is applied.

(I say that it still doesn't work out because I think you can find celestials that are weaker than half-celestials; lantern archons, for instance, are arguably weaker than a half-celestial human. Except, perhaps, for the whole greater teleport at will thing.)

If you replace the term Half-Celestial with Half-Angel (Angel being a creature type in D&D), then it makes sense, since Angels are more powerful than "Half-Angels".
    That is more or less what's being done, except that not all potential parents for a half-celestial are of the Angel type. Archons are not Angels, but Archons can be the parents of half-celestials.

2. - Top - End - #902

Rename the Celestial Creature template to Celestialish Creature, problem solved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

3. - Top - End - #903
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    I deliberately used the capitalization to help differentiate, yes, but to claim that I'm MAKING the distinction based on the capitalization is a reversal of cause and effect.

Put all the "c"s in my post as lower-case (save where sentence beginnings would make them capitalized anyway), and the meaning and truth of my post is unchanged. The distinction is between the noun "celestial" and the adjective "celestial." They are related, but distinct, words. "A grave error" and "a grave in which you are buried" are also examples of the same phoneme and letter-construct being used as different words, one of which is an adjective and the other a noun.

A celestial creature is not a celestial, any more than a grave error is an error in which one inters a corpse.

I don't think anybody is making that claim.

Even that doesn't actually hold true, though it is the intent. A celestial is meant to be greater in power than its half-celestial offspring. Again, though, a celestial creature is NOT a celestial. It's a creature to which the adjective "celestial" is applied.

(I say that it still doesn't work out because I think you can find celestials that are weaker than half-celestials; lantern archons, for instance, are arguably weaker than a half-celestial human. Except, perhaps, for the whole greater teleport at will thing.)

That is more or less what's being done, except that not all potential parents for a half-celestial are of the Angel type. Archons are not Angels, but Archons can be the parents of half-celestials.
    Again, you're missing my point, so I'll come at it from another angle.

A Celestial is a being from one of the Outer, Good-Aligned Planes. A Celestial Elf is an Elf from one of the Outer, Good-Aligned Planes. It is Not an Elf who has lived on one of said planes for a long time and developed those traits because Celestial is not an "acquired" template. Therefore, there is no semantic difference from a Celestial who is an Elf and a Celestial Elf. However, there is a game mechanic difference.

I'm not saying there has to be. I'm saying that linguistically there should not be.

The game (and you) says that the offspring of a Celestial who is an Elf and a regular Elf is a Half-Celestial Elf.

So what is the offspring of a Celestial Elf and a regular Elf? If, game-mechanic wise, it's a Half-Celestial Elf... then why is the offspring so much more powerful than the protegenor?

4. - Top - End - #904

The game (and you) says that the offspring of a Celestial who is an Elf and a regular Elf is a Half-Celestial Elf.

So what is the offspring of a Celestial Elf and a regular Elf? If, game-mechanic wise, it's a Half-Celestial Elf... then why is the offspring so much more powerful than the protegenor?
    No, no, no.

The offspring of a Celestial Elf and an elf is probably a Celestial Elf, or maybe a regular elf.

The offspring of a planetar and an elf is a Half-Celestial Elf.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

5. - Top - End - #905
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Rename the Celestial Creature template to Celestialish Creature, problem solved.
    That is an abomination of language, and I want to cry.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

6. - Top - End - #906

Again, you're missing my point, so I'll come at it from another angle.
    Okay.

A Celestial is a being from one of the Outer, Good-Aligned Planes.
    True.

A Celestial Elf is an Elf from one of the Outer, Good-Aligned Planes.
    True.

It is Not an Elf who has lived on one of said planes for a long time and developed those traits because Celestial is not an "acquired" template.
    True.

Therefore, there is no semantic difference from a Celestial who is an Elf and a Celestial Elf. However, there is a game mechanic difference.
    And there's the logical leap that makes your conclusion wrong.

A "celestial elf" is not "a celestial."

Let me reframe what I've quoted you as saying to illustrate the fallacy:

"A crow is a bird with predominantly black feathers, i.e. a blackbird."

"A raven is a bird with predominantly black feathers, i.e. a blackbird."

"Therefore, there is no semantic difference from a crow who is raven and a raven."

The conclusion is obviously flawed when framed like this. To put it as clearly as I can, there is no such thing as "a celestial who is an elf," any more than there is "a crow who is a raven" nor "an orc who is an elf."

"A celestial" is a specific category of creature. Celestial elves are not part of that category. Both celestials and celestial elves are creatures from upper, good-aligned planes, but not all creatures from upper, good-aligned planes are celestials.

(Just as both crows and ravens are blackbirds, but not all blackbirds are crows.)

As I hope is now clear, that is not what I'm saying, nor (I believe) what the game mechanics are saying. The offspring of a celestial elf and a regular elf would probably be either a celestial elf or a regular elf, depending on the DM's whim and sense of how much celestial influence remains.

Because the offspring of a celestial elf and a regular elf is not a half-celestial, because the kid doesn't have a celestial for a parent.
    Last edited by Segev; 2017-03-07 at 11:44 AM. Reason: One line got cut off in the middle, somehow.

7. - Top - End - #907

BlackDragon

No, no, no.

The offspring of a Celestial Elf and an elf is probably a Celestial Elf, or maybe a regular elf.

The offspring of a planetar and an elf is a Half-Celestial Elf.
    What I am saying is that you are correct, according to game rules.

What I am also saying is that, linguistically, using the exact same word for two entirely different things leads to linguistic confusing.

All oranges are not orange and not all orange things are oranges.

By defining the child of a Planetar (a type of Celestial) as being fundamentally different from (and severely more powerful than) the child of a theoretical 30th level Celestial Elf makes the English Language cry.

Replacing the terms "Celestial" and "Fiendish" for the templates with the term "Planar (Good)" or "Planar (Evil)" fits both the terminology and the linguistic usage.

Then you can say a Planetar is a Celestial being as well as a Planar (Good) being, while an Elf from the Seven Heavens is only a Planar (Good) being.

8. - Top - End - #908

What I am saying is that you are correct, according to game rules.

What I am also saying is that, linguistically, using the exact same word for two entirely different things leads to linguistic confusing.
    Yes. We know.

I have already provided the solution - call them Celestialish and it will be clear what you mean. I don't see what further use there is to argue this point.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

9. - Top - End - #909

BlackDragon

Yes. We know.

I have already provided the solution - call them Celestialish and it will be clear what you mean. I don't see what further use there is to argue this point.
    All I'm saying is I made an off-hand comment (that you have agreed is true) and then defended said comment from a barrage of "you're wrong"s.

10. - Top - End - #910

All I'm saying is I made an off-hand comment (that you have agreed is true) and then defended said comment from a barrage of "you're wrong"s.
    Then let's agree to let it go and get this thread back on track.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

11. - Top - End - #911
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Here's a stupid houserule for you:

"Clerics and Paladins are obliged to use their deity's Favoured Weapon."

-- uttered by the Co-GM of a game I used to play in. I was going to bring in a Paladin of Abadar as a replacement for my Cleric of Erastil, and he actually wanted to shoehorn me into fighting with a crossbow. A crossbow!
    I was prepared to duke it out with him if he'd turned out to be serious about enforcing it, but I never found out, because the entire game collapsed due to scheduling issues. Dodged a bolt, you might say.
    Let me give you a brief rundown of an average Post-3E Era fight: You attack an enemy and start kicking his shins. He then starts kicking your shins, then you take it in turns kicking until one of you falls over. It basically comes down to who started the battle with the biggest boot, and the only strategy involved is realizing when things have gone tits up and legging it.

12. - Top - End - #912

Quote Originally Posted by Firechanter View Post

-- uttered by the Co-GM of a game I used to play in. I was going to bring in a Paladin of Abadar as a replacement for my Cleric of Erastil, and he actually wanted to shoehorn me into fighting with a crossbow. A crossbow!
    I was prepared to duke it out with him if he'd turned out to be serious about enforcing it, but I never found out, because the entire game collapsed due to scheduling issues. Dodged a bolt, you might say.
    Ironically - and not to justify being REQUIRED to do this, mind - I played a paladin who wielded light crossbows. Dual-wielded, even, using TWF and rapid shot together, and having a bunch of loaded crossbows on hand that he drew with quick draw. He just dropped the empty ones; they were all on leather straps hooked to the inside of his heavy cloak. He wasn't stealthy, but he was a fun play on Derringer Meryl's fighting style.

13. - Top - End - #913
    Firbolg in the Playground

This could work if 1.) they gained free proficiency (or focus if they'd have proficiency anyway due to it being on the class's base proficiency list or them taking the war domain) and 2.) they weren't required to use it exclusively, just to always carry it.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

14. - Top - End - #914
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

We already have a term for "something touched by thing"... called "planetouched". Asimaar are not "Celestial", they're "Planetouched".
    Show us on the doll where the bad plane touched you...
    Last edited by Calthropstu; 2017-03-18 at 09:35 PM.

15. - Top - End - #915
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MesiDoomstalker View Post
    Some bad houserules for a 4e game:

1. You must know the alphabet of your fantasy languages. Yes, even the ones without any official alphabet produced. Your expected to be able to recognize characters from your character's languages on sight, without reference, and be able to read them, without reference. And the translated message may not be in English.
    2. You must RP activation words for magical items. Most magical items are activated using a language besides Common. Yes, you have to speak in Elvish to activate your Boots of Elvenkind. (this got REALLY fun when we found some Polygot gems, since the activation words were in the languages the Gem's granted )
    3. You must RP your powers every time you use them. Every time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Works for every power and item. Yes, even that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by MesiDoomstalker View Post
    Oh another player tried this. The GM recognized what he was doing instantly, shut it down. He didn't get any loot that session for "not taking the game seriously". Theres a reason why we swapped to a new campaign, with a new GM. And a new system. Which she finds particularly boring. Not like telling your players to stop playing their character's right isn't boring. Nope, not at all.
    This reminds me, I actually made up a table of random mystic gibberish from various sources awhile back for randomly generating verbal components

Spoiler
    Show

01.) Ashonai.
    02.) Ebiris.
    03.) 0Urshoring.
    04.) Kvanti.
    05.) Pythan.
    06.) N'gurad.
    07.) Feringomalee

08.) Azerath
    09.) Metrion
    10.) Zinthos

11.) Tatra
    12.) amistrobin
    13.) azarta,
    14.) tatis
    15.) manor
    16.) manziz
    17.) hounaz,
    18.) ansobar
    19.) saman
    20.) darobza
    21.) dahir
    22.) saika
    23.) danz
    24.) deroza,
    25.) kandar

26.) Kunda.
    27.) Astratta.
    28.) Montosse.
    29.) Canda

30.) klaatu
    31.) barata
    32.) nikto

33.) N'gai
    34.) n'gha
    35.) 'ghaa,
    36.) bugg-shoggog,
    37.) y'hah

38.) Abra
    39.) kadabra
    40.) alakazam
    41.) Aajaye
    42.) Shemhamforash
    43.) hocus
    44.) pocus

45.) mecca
    46.) lecca
    47.) hi,
    48.) hiney
    49.) ho

50.) sim
    51.) sala
    52.) bim

52.) Bibbidi
    53.) Bobbidi
    54.) Boo

55.) Shazam

56.) Cei-u

57.) Yu
    58.) Mo
    59.) Gui
    60.) Guay
    61.) Fai
    62.) Di
    63.) Zao

64.) FUs
    65.) Ro
    66.) Da

67.) Feim
    68.) Zii
    69.) Gron

70.) Joor
    71.) Zah
    72.) Frul

73.) Wuld
    74.) Nah
    75.) Kest

76.) Nahl
    77.) Dal
    78.) Vus

79.) Slen
    80.) Tiid
    81.) Vo

82.) Lok
    83.) Vah
    84.) Koor

85.) Hun
    86.) Kaal
    87.) Zor

88.) Od
    89.) Ah
    90.) Viing

91.) Laas
    92.) Yah
    93.) Nir

94.) Ph
    95.) Nglui
    96.) Mglwnafh
    97.) Wgah
    98.) nagl

99.) Ni
    100) Peng
    101) Nee-wom

(somatic components could in turn be adapted from this)
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

16. - Top - End - #916
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    (somatic components could in turn be adapted from this)
    That is awesome, I love it. Combined with the verbal components and add some random material components (use some M&Ms or something they must eat every time they cast a spell) and it could become something fun to try... albeit only for a little while.

17. - Top - End - #917

What would happen if you were a cleric of Tiamat? Her favored weapon is a claw.
    The False Balance Fallacy

The tendency to interpret the rules, not based on any validity with RAW or logic, but that which makes the game (in their eyes) more balanced.
    This tendency is often fueled by the incorrect belief that the game is balanced or the desire for it to be.

18. - Top - End - #918
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Tainted_Scholar View Post
    I guess in this context, Tiamat would only accept clerics who were dragons/draconic-descended in some fashion, thus having natural claw attacks?

19. - Top - End - #919
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tainted_Scholar View Post
    Quick question - which book is this information from? The Draconomicon has her favored weapon listed as Heavy Pick (Bite).

Interestingly, all the draconic deities in that section are listed as having a favored weapon like that - a humanoid weapon, followed by the natural attack it is supposed to represent for them, which actually neatly avoids the problem you're curious about.
    Dark Red, the Voice of the Dragon

Extended Signature Link

Quote Originally Posted by Quiver View Post
    How much terrain does the forty foot long, flying, fire breathing lizard which may or may not have magic consider its domain?

As much as it god damn wants.

20. - Top - End - #920

Quote Originally Posted by Draconium View Post
    Quick question - which book is this information from? The Draconomicon has her favored weapon listed as Heavy Pick (Bite).
    I was using Deities and Demigods, but Draconmicon should take precedence due to being 3.5 rather than 3rd.
    The False Balance Fallacy

The tendency to interpret the rules, not based on any validity with RAW or logic, but that which makes the game (in their eyes) more balanced.
    This tendency is often fueled by the incorrect belief that the game is balanced or the desire for it to be.