New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 213637383940414243444546
Results 1,351 to 1,353 of 1353
  1. - Top - End - #1351
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Worldbuilding Talk Thread

As I reformulate my setting I've made this general language map, since language is a BFD (Big Freaking Deal) in all my world builds.

This Language map shows the extent of linguistic patterns on the Vesperian Islands. Once a possible future colony of the Empire of Kyr-Saroth, the Empire suffered a gruesome and sudden cataclysmic end leaving its early colonists stranded there.

Of the aboriginal languages you have Siéafhe, Galáthac, Cumbraek and Caledonag. Though Vesparos is also a language of the Isles, it emerged from the High Sarothos language of the colonists. Cumbraek and Caledonag are very similar languages and in the borderland near the Mariners Peril that splits the two big Islands, speakers of the languages can actually understand one another better than a North Cumbraek speaker could understand someone from the southern most end of the South Island for example. Galáthac is much older and is the language of the remaining True Elves on the Isles or those living near or under their rule. Siéafhe is distantly related to Cumbraek and Caledonag, but has more roots with the Dark Elves whose sunken cities are still out there in the isles. All four have a Sylvic origin from a very distant time when Elves ruled over humans on these Isles but gradually interbred and mostly vanished save for the primitive "Little Elves" still seen here and there.

Vesparos is a creole language between the native languages and Sarothos. Nuirn is a bit newer as its the language of mercenaries brought in by South East princes that formed in the power vacuum left behind by Kyr-Saroth. Theirs has no connection directly to the Isles but does borrow some words.

2. - Top - End - #1352
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tzi View Post
    As I reformulate my setting I've made this general language map, since language is a BFD (Big Freaking Deal) in all my world builds.

This Language map shows the extent of linguistic patterns on the Vesperian Islands. Once a possible future colony of the Empire of Kyr-Saroth, the Empire suffered a gruesome and sudden cataclysmic end leaving its early colonists stranded there.
    when i was working on my bantu setting, rather than creating my own languages, i decided to use real world languages to represent fantastic languages - if i'm going to make my players learn new vocab, it might as well be useful, right?

3. - Top - End - #1353
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tantric View Post
    when i was working on my bantu setting, rather than creating my own languages, i decided to use real world languages to represent fantastic languages - if i'm going to make my players learn new vocab, it might as well be useful, right?
    Unless the Language is really easy or simple, I usually do that, but I have access to a ready supply of conlangs so I use them for naming.

Cumbraek for example I can just use Welsh. In fact the person who made it more or less made a Dialect of Welsh that just went crazy with it.

Sieafhe is just going to be Scots-Gaelic.... ect.

And Vesparos will likely be Latin.

ect. I tend to use the conlang names and maybe use them for naming languages but revert back to an IRL language for actual gameplay or naming NPC's and Characters.