New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld 9; the discussion thread

Well I didn't get the o rly? joke cause I have never seen that owl before now but I still liked the owl in the comic cause he looked so confused and cute. I know it's early to tell for sure but Jillian might very well become my favorite character. I'll have to wait to see a little more but that's how things are looking so far.
    Sweet Batpony avatar by Kairaven.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Banned

It took a moment for the orly thing to register. But then, that may be because that particular bit of geek-culture trivia has been buried in the bottom of my mental filing cabinet with all the other repressed memories. However, I like the orlies. Even if the humor is a little obscure, it's just kind of fun to figure out where the reference comes from. That goes for Erfworld as a whole. If you don't like it, you don't have to read it.

Also, I don't think Erfworld is based on a particular strategy roleplaying game. I think it's just supposed to mimic all the odd things about those games that anyone but a veteran gamer would think strange. Seriously, have you ever tried to explain what you were doing in-game to one of the uninitiated? What relationship does a "turn" or a "move" have to real-life military strategy? Very little at the end of the day. So I think one of the points of Erfworld is to kind of poke fun at both the games and at us in a quirkily humorous way.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

I like Jillian too. And that other girl. Mostly because they are the competent ones while the male characters seem to be irredeemable dunderheads. Gogo Independent-woman-beam!

4. - Top - End - #64
    Halfling in the Playground

Planetar

I am starting to really like it. This one pieced more of it together. I know the owls, but didn't laugh, since they seemed a little 'odd one out' but they were okay too.

with Erfworld, I felt a little lost and confused at the begining, as most would do, trying to understand a new setting. Has more to do with me, than the comic/graphic novel.

So I am looking forward to get it really started, and just read it with an inate understanding of the world and the works...

so all I can say is:

YA RLY

...Idless
    Former Public Relations Manager of the Miko Fan Club!

Why does it seem like 40% of all GMs have the sig indicating they are a part of the 22% that didn't start their first campaign in a tavern?

Fav Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

#1: The leperchaun costume... not so much"
    #2: :shojo: Good Gods, they teach you how to Detect Evil, but not sarcasm??
    #3: Oh, that always struck me as plan A"

To the fans out there: Keep Flying

5. - Top - End - #65
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I'm still trying to get into Erfworld. The cutesiness was the first turn off, and then having a world where we don't understand the 'rules' (like everyone knew that OOTS was following D&D-based rules and thus could relate and understand its jargon).

Now someone had previously mentioned that this might be a war between action and turn-based genres. Which makes sense, and then the 'O RLY' owl I didn't see coming.

I'm not a huge fan of Erfworld, but after the last strip I'll hold out a bit longer for it to come together.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: the owls

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenwind View Post
    Well, considering what a tired, shopworn internet meme this supposedly is, I've only seen the "o rly" statement used online in the last month. . . .

. . . and still have no idea what it's in reference to, or why it was meant to be funny. Some kind of toy, I think?

And I'm a fairly heavy net-user. While I don't think it's funny, because I don't get the base reference, I'd just like to point out, that there are some people out there for whom the reference will still be fresh.

If obscure.
    All I can say is I find this whole series very confusing. I keep trying to see if I am going to suddenly "grok" it or something. Thus far, I guess I am NOT the target audience...?

7. - Top - End - #67
    Pixie in the Playground

Maybe it's just the forums I frequent, but I see the O RLY?? owl on an almost weekly basis. We're good friends, he and I. We have quite the conversations, considering his somewhat limited vocabulary.
    "Rest, my sweet prince, for once you awake there will be no respite for your noble bones. Only bloody war and the iron claws of fate..."

8. - Top - End - #68
    Dwarf in the Playground

I try to avoid any forums in which the owl is a frequent visitor.

It's not about the owl, it's about the people it hangs around with.