New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Pirates of the Aether II

"Aye, cap'n," says Saltfoot.
    The night watch goes smoothly. However, the crew murmur their misgivings.

"What are we still doing over this floatin' graveyard?"
    "What's the cap'n thinkin'?!"
    "We nearly all got killed!"
    "Hey, we shouldn't question our orders. The captain probably has a good reason... right?"
    "I'm not sure. I heard that Barty guy didn't come back, and we've picked up some refugees."
    "Why don't we hitch get a ride from the blue guys?"
    "The cap'n would go down with his ship. He loves it."
    "That's what I thought he felt about us, but a bunch of us just died. The bodies had to be burned..."

6 hours past. The first light of dawn slowly makes it way across the ship.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Troll in the Playground

Bellamy wakes early despite the busy day before and a restless night. As usual he goes to see Bruce first and chats to the giant bat while smoking his pipe in the rigging, "Bruce, old boy, this ship is a fine vessel, the crew is loyal and skilled but we've had a string of bad luck. She needs repair and some time to recover and so does her crew. How should we keep her safe, old boy?" As usual the bat doesn't answer but just talking through the problem was often a great help to Bellamy, "I'm worried about the lads, Brucie. You can't see your mates cut down one day after the other without it getting to you but their sailors, not trained warriors, not druids or sorcerers with special powers. How do we keep them self, eh, so they can do their jobs?" He talks for a half hour or so about the various issues as he sees them, stopping to groom the giant bat and feed him. When Bruce is done and he's run out of words he climbs down and goes to see the captain in his cabin.

"Morning Captain, a word, if you will?" Once inside he explains about the feeling he's getting from the crew and their losses, "They need time, Cap, or they'll break. My suggestion is that we repair the ship enough to limp into the first harbour that we find for a full overhaul. Once we're underway we need to start training the crew. If any are interesting in the druidic path I'll take them on as apprentices. The priests should do the same. Any of the officers with magical skills can and should teach anyone with an aptitude. The warriors need to run practice drills and get the crew fighting fit if they're going to be in the line of fire in the future. It isn't fair to take untrained men into battle and battle has had a way of finding us recently. We'll lose a few men who can't see the benefit but it's better to replace them than let them die and damage the morale of everyone else."

"That's a mid term problem. The first order of business is to get the ship in working order. It would put the crew's minds at rest if they knew what the plan was. Where are we heading? How are we going to get ship shape again? Are the crew going to be in danger and what are we doing to keep that from happening?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    The bat hangs in the rigging or from a spar so Bellamy's morning chats are anything but private. In this case the intent is that he's overheard so that the remaining crew know that officers are concerned about their welfare.

Essentially we need some sort of plan so we can put the crew to work for a common goal. As I see it we need to raid the island for parts, either wood from the forest or spares from the ships left in dock. The crew can't help with that and it gives the higher level officers something valuable to do while the crew get on with fixing things (which isn't exciting).
    I didn't choose the life of a murderhobo, it chose me.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

Kieran usually wakes at the first light of day, but today he sleeps until shortly before he hears Bellamy's knock on his cabin.

'A moment please'.

Kieran welcomes Bellamy in, and listens to his thoughts.

'Yer offer tae train the crew in - druidism? Is much appreciated. Indeed, it's been on me mind lately that we are short on casters'.

'Lost our ship mage tae spellplague, jus' after we left Serzai. Maia an' the Chaplin bought it in the fight with the pirates - an' now it seems Barty's lost too'.

'I have asked Mage Officer Aimari, but fer some reason she isnae able to take apprentices, and Melanie's gift doesn't appear tae be something that can be passed on'.

'That leaves us with ye, the healers, Melanie, an' Aimari'.

'As fer combat training - please organise what drills ye see fit. As ye say, we need tae keep the crew busy'.

'I too, am concerned about the state o' the ship'.

Kieran close his eyes for a moment. He looks incredibly tired.

'The most important thing is tae keep the crew safe. I dinnae see how we can repair this ship. Erin an' Master Stoneforge have done their best, but we needed a full week at least in dock. I dare not return tae the surface of the island'.

'I fear we may have tae take up the offer our new friends made the other day - either arrange fer them tae salvage an' repair the Gambit, or at least give us an' our paychest passage. Only thing that worries me...I'm nae entirely sure I trust them'.

Kieran strokes his moustache.

'What was your readin' o' them?' he asks Bellamy.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

Raif Clearsight, Human Cleric, A Thorn in the Hand.
    http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=420661

Kieran Swiftsure, Human Rogue, Pirates of the Aether.
    http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=422092

4. - Top - End - #244
    Troll in the Playground

"Well, look at the size of me. I trust them as far as I can throw them. They have an agenda that doesn't necessarily benefit us and I'm one for maintaining our independence. Make alliances and trade resources with them, sure, but I wouldn't want to get too cozy with them." Bellamy paces around the cabin, idly looking at maps or out of the porthole. "There's a port down there with ships in the docks. Damaged ships, to be sure, wrecks even, but they built ships and repaired them every day. The tools and resources we need are just sitting there waiting for us. Without living humans to boost their numbers the undead can't reproduce so every one we kill permanently weakens them."

"Then there's that witch that Melanie tangled with. I'm sure she got away but I don't know if she abandoned the place or not. She might choose to do anything. I don't know much about undead but it could be that they're maintained by or tied somehow to her power. Do you think that Melanie could track her down? What I propose is that we get a list of what we need from Master Stoneforge scout what's left of the docks for it. We kill as many undead as we can. We need a raft or small boat for transportation so we can load up and return here. Bruce can only carry so much and we need to make one trip if possible. Divinations can make it faster for us to get in and out. Maybe we could explore the old man's mansion for whatever he had too." He runs off several ideas without really stopping to think. He's conscious of the fact that he could just climb onto Bruce's back and fly away but nobody else on the crew has that option. He doesn't want to abandon them. Having patched up half the crew on the way here he'd quite like to see them live a little longer.

"The important thing, captain, as I see it, is to have a plan and be seen to be working towards it. The crew need to know that we're on top of things, even though we've taken a licking. If we need a flux capacitor or a new catalyzer or whatever then we go and get one and get the men to prepare for installing it. They'll have confidence that we're doing our jobs and they'll stay busy doing their's."
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

Kieran thinks for a moment - trying to take in all of Bellamy's ideas.

Could we really save the ship?

'As tae makin' landfall - Melanie can fly, yer pet can carry two, an' we have the little death-trap Master Stoneforge built. The Protector's Eyes I think he calls it. He should have the thing repaired by now. With all that together, we can get five to land, there an' back'.

'Before the wights attacked, the old man was askin' me tae retrieve somthin' from the surface. Apparently, there's a lost factory down there - they had technology that exceeds our ain. Unfortunately, he disappeared before he could give me the location. I think we ought tae find him if we can. The man kenned more about aethercraft than any other I've ever met...except maybe me last engineer'.

'Alright, sounds as though we have the beginnin's o' a plan. Could ye get a list form Master Stoneforge, an' see if he's fixed his contraption? It'd also be good if ye could check on the supplies with the quartermaster - see how long we can last'.

'Meanwhile, I'll get the crew tae work on repairin' what they can, an' find someone who can put them through some weapon drills'.

'As tae our new friends, I think we'll have tae have a word with them, at least. They could blow us outa the sky in a heatbeat, so we have tae keep them sweat as best as we can'.

'Alright, let's get to it. I'll make an announcement tae the crew shortly. Meanwhile, if ye see Erin, Melanie, or Aimari, please could ye send 'em tae me?'

'Oh, one las' thing'.

Kieran looks across at Bellamy.

'Did ye find anyone las' night, when ye searched fer survivors? Any sign of Master Virto, or Master Scrounger?'

Meanwhile, Kieran thinks about the remaining crew, trying to remember who has the most weapons experience. Most of them are scrappers, who'll weigh in to a fight, but there's a world of difference between a dockside tavern brawl and a merciless fight to extinction with a souless undead beastie.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

6. - Top - End - #246
    Troll in the Playground

Happy to be doing something worthwhile Bellamy gets up ready to leave. Kieran's question stops him at the door though, "Survivors? There may be isolated pockets scattered around but unless they're fool enough to stand on a roof or out in the open we'll not find them. I'm thinking that we should leave trail signs or even written instructions on when and where survivors should meet up for a rescue but I can't see how the undead won't be able to follow whatever instructions we leave too. Even if we told people and got them to pass it on all it would take is one being killed and turned and the plan would unravel. Our best bet is that any survivors organise themselves and seek us out."

"I'll check on Stoneforge. That new crew member, Skye? She might have some information on the old man. She might know something about his machines too. I'm not sure where she got to actually." He offers a sharp salute and heads below deck to the engine room to quiz Master Stoneforge. He offers friendly greetings to officers and crew on his way there, taking his time to listen to what the crew has to say and relaying any messages that he picks up. He stops to chat to the few who've expressed an interest in druidism and arranges a time to talk to them about the details.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

Erin nods to Bellamy as he leaves the Captain's cabin, snapping a short salute.

"If you need my help in anything Bel, let me know."

Afterwords, Erin knocks once on the Captain's door, and invites himself in. He gives a quite respectful salute and then begins.

"I've come to the conclusion that I have some personal business with the meldshapers Captain. I've come to realize that I've outgrown my weapon. It's a fine blade, and one I'm proud to say I made with my own hands, but there are other techniques I wish to explore. Certain warriors of the Dragon God exhibit dazzling displays of bladework, and are known for being nigh unstoppable holy warriors. There's also a specific sort of reticulating blade I wish to look into."

Erin pauses for a moment, and then continues.

"Now, I know we need many things to get the ship back in order, but I was wondering if you wished me to bequeath my blade to one of the crewman and train him in it's use and I'll ask for some of my wage to pay for the blade, or if I should use it in trade to acquire the blade I am looking for."

Erin waits for an answer, but then, in a moment of impatience unlike him, interrupts and continues.

"I want you to remember Captain, if there's anything I can do to help with the ship or it's crew, you need only call on me."

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

'Hmm. I see'.

Kieran takes a moment to think.

'Well, Erin, we've certainly had to depend on your sword arm a great deal lately - far more than I'd like... It doesn't look like that'll be changing soon, so it's best we have ye as well equipped as we're able'.

'What's yer readin' on these meldshaper folk? I'm hopin' that we can get the resources we need tae patch up the ship from them...but I dinnae ken if we can trust them'.

'How much gold d'ye think ye'll be needin' fer yer sword? I was goin' tae distribute pay tae the officers...before the wight attack...so ye're welcome tae that'.

'As tae the ship, please do what ye can tae help Master Stoneforge make repairs...an' I may need ye fer another fight against the wights, if it comes tae it - d'ye ken what the situation is with that flyin' contraption he built? D'ye ken if we can use it safely?'
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

Erin doesn't even hesitate, familiar with the craft.

"The whip-blade I'm looking to acquire would cost about 350 gold pieces, subject to any haggling on the seller or my part. My blade, which I personally crafted to be considered a master smith by the dwarf that apprenticed me, is valued on the market at 335 gold pieces, again subject to haggling."

On the matter of the meldshapers, and the ship, he is less certain. His wings tuck slightly, almost ashamed at his lack of knowledge.

"I've been helping Stoneforge do the repairs, and he's requisitioned many things that required my woodworking and metalworking skills... I don't know the full details though. It does look a lot better than when we were scooping up the wreckage, but I just don't know...

On the shapers, I think we can trust them. We do need to be sure to keep a very watchful eye on them. They've admitted that their motives are different than ours, and we must keep that in mind. As allies though, I think they'll do fine, and we definitely should trade with them to get those parts we still need.

Assuming what you mean by needing my sword against the wights means what I think you mean, I suggest we proceed into the docks with all of the care in the world, and take only those we think might withstand more than a single blow from the creatures. Most men's bodies seem to fail after only a single touch."
    Last edited by Techwarrior; 2014-05-04 at 03:44 PM.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

The Lady's Gambit

While the crew recovers from the wight attack, a small ferry brings over Anjou. "I wish to speak to the captain," she says curtly to the nearest crewmember. Nearby, Aimari is burning the bodies of the fallen.
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

'Well Erin, I think we can certainly spring fer 350 gold pieces - though it'll have tae come out o' yer share o' course'.

'If any o' the crew want tae learn the use o' yer blade, then I'll gladly reimburse ye the 325 out o' the ship's coffers - so in all likelihood ye'll end up spendin' nae more than 25 o' yer ain gold'.

'I agree we need tae be careful raidin' the docks - I wouldnae take anyone but ye, me, Aimari, Melanie, an' maybe Bellamy if we can spare him from his duties aboard ship. Believe me, it isnae me favoured option - but I dinnae see that we have much choice'.

'Still, perhaps the shapers might be willin' tae be a bit more upfront with us in the light o' day'.

'Alright - anything else Erin?'
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

Erin Lantin, Weaponmaster

Erin nods thankfully to the Captain.

"That would be more than fair I believe Captain. I'll put out the word that I have an extra blade on hand and see if any of the crew is interested."

With that Erin prepares to leave, but then pauses.

"Should I take anyone else with when I speak to the Azurin on this matter, and is there anything you wish me to clear with you before I also speak to them about the supplies we need?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    By this point, I'm assuming Erin has a relatively accurate (likely the most accurate) list of the supplies we need for the ship and the relevant costs.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

'Aye, I'll come with ye - if ye could leave the sword until after ye've dealt with the supplies that would be much appreciated'.

'By the way, d'ye ken if anyone's checked on the food stocks with the quartermaster? Best if we ken the full tally of what we need before we start tryin' tae drive a hard bargain'.

'Ah well, let's go an' meet our new friends'.

Kieran rises and moves to step outside the cabin. As he opens the door, he notices Anjou.

'Ah, the very person I'm looking for. Commander, could I trouble ye fer a moment o' yer time? Perhaps ye'd like tae join me an' Master Lantin in me cabin'.

How in Lady's name did they let her aboard without at least givin' me a warnin'? Though I suppose there's nae much that we could'ha done tae stop her...still, it's bad discipline.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

Erin nods respectfully to Anjou.

"Ma'am, I don't believe we've been officially introduced. I am Erin Lantin, Weapons Master of the Lady's Gambit."

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

The Lady's Gambit

She stops abruptly, and her suit of armor ceases it's clanking. Keeping her brilliant, blue eyes on the bodies, she does a slight bow. "Anjou Orleans. Chardin de Chevalier. Enchanté," she says quickly. "Erin, I need to speak to your captain. I fear you may outstay your welcome with the gracious residents of the island."

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

Erin is rather gruff and undiplomatic at the hinting that he should leave.

"The last several times I've left my Captain alone with a strange woman, his life has been imperiled by said woman. Forgive me if I find myself unwilling to leave you alone with him now."