New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default FFXIV: A Realm Reborn

Post about server congestion on official forums. Basically, they are working quickly to increase the data centres and plan to be done early next week. There was a maintenance last night which may or may not have been for this, but it was at least in preparation for it.

I don't see a thread for it (it's 6am though, I wouldnt be surprised if Im just blind at this hour).

It's now officially released, so who else is playing?

On Hyperion server here, and glad to see last night when I logged on I got on first go, hopefully no more congestion issues with that.
    Last edited by Sajiri; 2013-08-28 at 02:44 PM.

3DS friend code: 0748-2783-1667
    Mii name: Sajiri

Ruya avatar by me!
    My Tumblr (more active than Deviantart these days)
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: FFXIV: A Realm Reborn

I'm on Behemoth, and I absolutely love playing it.

Sadly it seems the only time I get a chance to actually play it is the 30-40 minutes of eating time I have during lunch. Getting nothing but 'world is full' errors at any other time. Effectively only getting to play 2 days outta Beta 4 and pre-order sucks.

3. - Top - End - #3

I was on Behemoth in phase 3 beta. I kept getting world full errors until last night, suddenly I could get on no troubles.

Ruya avatar by me!
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

4. - Top - End - #4

I've been waiting to get online all day. According to what I can find, there is no AFK time out when logged on, nor is there a queue to log on. So. We have 100k people logged onto every server with a large majority of them never logging off and thousands of people (myself included) stuck in perpetuity on the character creation screen. So far, its the worst and most frustrating $30 i've ever spent.
    Current Sexy Reya Dawnbringer avatar by Edwin, thanks for the awesomeness.

"Come with me, and we'll be...
    In a world of total annihilation." .....Itnetlolor of Bay12 forums

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Celesyne View Post
    I've been waiting to get online all day. According to what I can find, there is no AFK time out when logged on, nor is there a queue to log on. So. We have 100k people logged onto every server with a large majority of them never logging off and thousands of people (myself included) stuck in perpetuity on the character creation screen. So far, its the worst and most frustrating $30 i've ever spent.
    There is actually a queue, its just that the explosion of people trying to log in means they had to manually lock and open. From my experience, every so often a queue starts up, it caps out with however many are on it, then people get the 'world is full' message. You might have to actually restart the client if you get that message to try to get in the queue.

When it's happened to me I just restart it a few times and within 10 mins Im in a queue.

Ruya avatar by me!
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

6. - Top - End - #6

My biggest issue with that, is that it means going through the character creation each time. As it wont let you finalize a character unless you have a server to log into with it. Soooo no saving or naming my character. Its left me in a very very sour mood... for someone who adores Final Fantasy.
    Current Sexy Reya Dawnbringer avatar by Edwin, thanks for the awesomeness.

"Come with me, and we'll be...
    In a world of total annihilation." .....Itnetlolor of Bay12 forums

7. - Top - End - #7

Ah really? I wasn't aware of that, my character was imported from 1.0 and I got to recreate her in phase 4. Not sure what server you are on but is it only peak hours you try?

Im on an NA server and during primetime on the weekend was awful, but when I get on after work when its died down its not bad. I've heard the japanese servers are less crowded if you aren't opposed to that, I know there's quite a few non-japanese forming communities on certain servers of theirs (I think Masamune was the unofficial international server)

Ruya avatar by me!
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

8. - Top - End - #8

JP servers got thrashed today by what I heard. Turns out the Japanese/East Asian population wasn't into pre-ordering.

You should be able to save character appearance without getting on a server. Should just be load>Birthday>Name>Server. Still annoying, but its less time.

Hopefully, this time next week it wont be an issue and then all will be fine and gravy. Until then though its just a bad taste in my mouth.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Waiting for Spoony's reaction

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

I thought about preordering since a few people I know got it, but they've had nothing but trouble trying to connect to servers. I keep seeing messages about spamming 0 and praying they get a queue, followed by a sudden client crash.

I'm willing to overlook server troubles though, so long as the game is actually any good. Is the game any good?

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Neftren View Post
    I thought about preordering since a few people I know got it, but they've had nothing but trouble trying to connect to servers. I keep seeing messages about spamming 0 and praying they get a queue, followed by a sudden client crash.

I'm willing to overlook server troubles though, so long as the game is actually any good. Is the game any good?
    The game is very good, aside from server issues. Give it a week or two and that should hopefully settle down.

Ruya avatar by me!
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

I figure I'll give it a few more days and see whether they've worked out the server troubles at that point.

I'm interested in playing an Archer, but I'm not particularly interested in the jobs available. Are they going to release more jobs, or is this pretty much it?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

I've been playing with a friend on Ultros.

Well, for a value of playing equal to "When I have time and the servers let me on"...

What I have done is fun. Been mostly a Lancer, but I'm going to dip into Marauder for a fair bit, so I can get Dragoon. Might go Pugilist and Monk, though, later, 'cause what I've done of Pug is pretty fun too.
    Steam account. Add me to argue about philosophy whatever!
    Advertized Homebrew: Fire Emblem 4's Holy Blood as Bloodlines
    Extended Signature.
    Using a different color of text for sarcasm is so original.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Currently on Odin (EU), 15 levels in Conjurer, 25ish in Arcanist, working towards Scholar.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Heard some FFXIV news and wondered if it was true.
    Square enix bans any visual reviews of the game

If this is the case, how am I suppose to see if I want to commit the time and money in this MMO?

If a company sues any professional trying to review their game, what does that say about the quality of the game?

Reading the Materials Usage License it sounds like the Playground will get sued if anyone posts a picture of the game here. (since the forum has ad revenue)

EDIT: Maybe it's not true, or Square Enix has decided not to enforce it. I still see several twitch channels streaming, and collecting money for streaming (twich membership required paywall, ads, etc), and people earning money on youtube for FFXIV content. So perhaps I'm just overreacting.
    Last edited by Forbiddenwar; 2013-08-28 at 11:22 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16

@Neftren they just had another maintenance last night that was supposed to start working on server issues, as for jobs yes they've said they will add more. It's been stated at least one more job (not sure which class) will be released before the first expansion. Bard is actually pretty good, it's not played the way you would typically expect a bard to be played (it's still an archer, with a couple of situational buffs for others, and a really good ability everyone will want in endgame)

@Forbiddenwar I don't think that's the case. I mean, they had an NDA in place in beta with no video/streams, and there was at least one big youtube group that had permission to post videos they recorded for advertising, so I don't see why they'd ban it all when the game is fully released.

Anyways, I've unlocked scholar and summoner now. Scholar is pretty fun and I can see I will enjoy it but damn is it a lot of micro management, especially with that fairy's terrible AI. Hoping they do some changes to that.
    Last edited by Sajiri; 2013-08-28 at 02:31 PM.

Ruya avatar by me!
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Questions I have:

How viable is soloing across the level ranges? Sometimes I get on and I just wanna play without worrying about scraping up a group.

How easy is it for 2 people of different levels to do stuff together? Does someone need to work on a job they have underleveled, or are there "party level down" mechanics (such as GW2 had)?

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by huttj509 View Post
    Questions I have:

How viable is soloing across the level ranges? Sometimes I get on and I just wanna play without worrying about scraping up a group.

How easy is it for 2 people of different levels to do stuff together? Does someone need to work on a job they have underleveled, or are there "party level down" mechanics (such as GW2 had)?
    It is actually very easy to play solo or with others. It has level sync for dungeons and fates. Most of the open world content is designed to be solo (or you can team up if you want) to just run around, do your hunting log, fates, leves etc. I guess you might have a little trouble if you're a healer but you can always cross class skills from a different class. Then thanks to duty finder it's pretty easy to do the dungeons too, don't have to wait around and shout for groups, just let it organize it for you.

Ruya avatar by me!
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sajiri View Post
    @Neftren they just had another maintenance last night that was supposed to start working on server issues, as for jobs yes they've said they will add more. It's been stated at least one more job (not sure which class) will be released before the first expansion. Bard is actually pretty good, it's not played the way you would typically expect a bard to be played (it's still an archer, with a couple of situational buffs for others, and a really good ability everyone will want in endgame)
    For me, the flavor is much more important than mechanics. I just don't really have any interest in a bard. I'd rather see a true marksman type class. Also I want to see a ranged archetype without the stereotypical pet. On that count, WoW and GW2 both failed. The closest I've found is Demon Hunter, but the Battle.net lag inhibits me from playing Diablo 3 at the moment.

In any case, I'll pick up the game soon-ish. Probably this weekend.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Neftren View Post
    For me, the flavor is much more important than mechanics. I just don't really have any interest in a bard. I'd rather see a true marksman type class. Also I want to see a ranged archetype without the stereotypical pet. On that count, WoW and GW2 both failed. The closest I've found is Demon Hunter, but the Battle.net lag inhibits me from playing Diablo 3 at the moment.

In any case, I'll pick up the game soon-ish. Probably this weekend.
    Well, jobs are generally only useful for party play, so you could just stick as archer most of the time if you wanted. I found archer very fun. Since arcanist got 2 jobs right off the bat, all the other classes are meant to be getting at least one more job eventually, so they may add in Ranger or something eventually.

There also was the musketeer guild which was a class that was meant to be added in later in 1.0 but got shelved for the relaunch. There haven't been any mentions of it in ARR but there are npcs with guns still so it's possible they will still add it. There was a poll quite a while ago where they asked what type of class was wanted first, and pet classes won which is why arcanist was added instead of musketeer.

Ruya avatar by me!
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

I want it I want it I want it I want it I want it I want it I want I want I want it I WANT IT I WANT IT!

Sigh, but I have no ps3, and I'm an old-time FFXI Player(started playing FFXI around Late August/Early September 2003) originally on PC, but quickly switched to PS2. I don't think I could get used to the controls on a PC.

Anyways, I got a chance to try it out today while I was over at a buddy's place, and omg...it's like FFXI on crack! Only got to play for about half an hour, but I definitely fell in love with it.

22. - Top - End - #22

I'm on Lamia, I think. You can feel that it was designed with a controller in mind; I've started playing with a 360 controller plugged into my PC. The only issue I'm having is that the targetting system is pretty bad. Other than that it's pretty cool so far.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, jobs are generally only useful for party play, so you could just stick as archer most of the time if you wanted. I found archer very fun. Since arcanist got 2 jobs right off the bat, all the other classes are meant to be getting at least one more job eventually, so they may add in Ranger or something eventually.

There also was the musketeer guild which was a class that was meant to be added in later in 1.0 but got shelved for the relaunch. There haven't been any mentions of it in ARR but there are npcs with guns still so it's possible they will still add it. There was a poll quite a while ago where they asked what type of class was wanted first, and pet classes won which is why arcanist was added instead of musketeer.
    As a fellow Arcanist, did it ever bug you that you couldn't join the Duty finder as a healer? I solo healed everything up to and including Ifrit without any problems. The only extra healing ability Conjurers get is the AoE heal, at least at low levels (<15).

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    As a fellow Arcanist, did it ever bug you that you couldn't join the Duty finder as a healer? I solo healed everything up to and including Ifrit without any problems. The only extra healing ability Conjurers get is the AoE heal, at least at low levels (<15).
    I actually didn't WANT to heal as arcanist, but I ended up doing it most times anyway. Either ending up in groups with no healer/healer dcing and I had to heal while we waited, or we formed groups within my FC and I always ended up as healer anyway.

Either way, currently sitting outside Brayflox waiting for my husband to get on so I can heal that as scholar

Edit: Healing Brayflox on scholar sucks. Majorly.
    Last edited by Sajiri; 2013-08-29 at 05:26 AM.

Ruya avatar by me!
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    Anyways, I got a chance to try it out today while I was over at a buddy's place, and omg...it's like FFXI on crack! Only got to play for about half an hour, but I definitely fell in love with it.
    I've been waiting to hear feedback a bit before getting into FFXIV, but this has me sold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    I've been waiting to hear feedback a bit before getting into FFXIV, but this has me sold.
    Yeah, I was around when the first FFXIV tanked, I remember the flood of people that came back to FFXI. I even got a chance to try the original FFXIV. This new version is just so far above and superior to the old it's not even funny. I spent like 30-45 minutes playing it, had no problem getting used to it, the battle controls are very intuitive(though the targeting system is a bit annoying, but if you ever fought Faf or anything of the like during prime-time hours, you'll have no issues ^^). Even funnier, I was able to teach my buddy an old trick, the lock-on ability by pressing the left analog stick down(a holdover from FFXI). He's already thanked me a dozen times, saying it's made things much easier for him.

Really, I can't give the game enough praise,and I've barely been able to play it! I'm seriously considering selling a few of my old SNES games just to buy a PS3 and FFXIV, and that's saying something, as I'm quite proud of my rare game collection.

27. - Top - End - #27

Excalibur here and returning 1.0 Legacy. Glad to be back in Eorzea

If I may offer some information and advice to folks looking to join the game or just beginning/returning.
    Edited October 28, 2014 to reflect changes since 2.0, up to 2.4
    How many classes and roles are available in the game?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite a fair amount. (20 to be exact, +10 Advanced Jobs for the battle classes) FFXIV uses a system much like it's predecessor, Final Fantasy XI, in that you can play every class on one character (No need for Alts to get full enjoyment out of the game!). However, unlike in FFXI, you can freely switch classes at a moments notice, simply by changed what Weapon or Tool you wield in your Main hand slot. Also, where as in FFXI you had to select a Sub job to use more commands, here, classes offer Cross Class abilities and skills to use that you may freely select

The classes are as follows:
    Battle Roles: There are 8 base classes, + the 9 Advance Jobs (I.E. Prestige Classes) designed for battle. All are designed for either Tank, DPS, or Healer/Support, though a few can do a little bit of another party role in a tight spot. We'll discuss the Jobs in another section

Disciples of War (Physical types):
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Archer (ARC)= As the name implies, this is a Bow using Ranged Damage dealing class. The Archer relies on DoT applying attacks, and many of it's attacks will either recharge another powerful attack, or boost the critical rates for a short duration, or even allow for using Weaponskills with no cost to the TP gauge

-Gladiator (GLA)= A Tanking Class that fights using Sword and Shield. Thanks to their combination of plate armor, shield and sword, when it comes to outright preventing from taking damage in the first place, there is virtually no one better than a Gladiator

-Lancer (LNC)= A pole arm wielding DPS class, the lancers like to deal mass amounts of damage, often applying DoTs, while either slowing down an enemies attacks, or striking multiple foes at once with it's AoEs.

-Marauder (MRD)= A Great axe wielding Tanking classes, these mighty warriors like to keep enemies attention on them by being the meanest, most frightening thing charging across the battlefield while working themselves into a battle frenzy

-Pugilist (PGL): taking the phrase "Hand-to-hand combat" almost literally, Pugilist are another DPS class wielding a variety of fist weapons. They are the masters of chaining combos together by constantly changing stances. Every time they complete a chain of the three stances of Opo-Opo, Raptor, and Coeurl, they build up a stack of momentum called Greased Lightning that boost their damage and reduces Weapon Skill global cooldown time, allowing for faster combo chains

-Rogue (ROG): Hailing from Limsa Lominsa, the Rogue is a DPS class that is sworn to keep the pirates in check from the shadows, and make sure they aren't violating the three main rules of the code. They use stealth abilities to open the battle with significant damage attacks with their matched daggers, using venoms to enhance them, throwing daggers for range, and acrobatic maneuvers to keep them mobile and dodging

Disciples of Magic
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Arcanist (ACN): Wielding Grimoires of various magical calculations, this Support DPS type caster is able to call forth Carbuncle as a magical familiar to aid them in battle. While their pet inflicts damage for them, the Arcanist can provide various means of crowd control, and debuffing effects to lower a foe's defense and inflict DoTs, or provide additional healing for the party to help supplement the main healers

-Conjurer (CNJ): Calling forth the elements of nature to aid them, Conjurers use these powers to help defend the party as a Healer and buffer. However, by switching to a more battle capable Cleric Stance, they can provide additional damage dealing spells to the party

-Thaumaturge (THM): Calling upon the powers of destruction, a Thaumaturge is a DPS Blaster class, evoking the destructive nature of Lightning to inflict constant DoT, While Fire Spells evoke the nature of Astral Fire to dramatically boost damage. When their MP get's low, they call forth Umbral Ice to damage their foes and regain their Aethyric power to continue on with destroying their enemies

Non Battle Classes
    : These classes are used to gather items used in crafting, and the crafting classes them selves:
    Disciples of the Land: (Gathering classes)
    -Botanist (BTN): Used to Harvest plants and chop wood
    -Fisher (FSH): Do you need to even ask?
    -Miner (MIN): Ditto here.

Disciples of the Hand (Crafting Classes): These classes are used to make, and repair, items for other players
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Alchemist (ALC): Makes potions and some materials for other crafts
    -Armorer (ARM): Makes Metal armors (Scale, Plate, and Chain)
    -Blacksmith (BSM): Makes Weapons and Tools
    -Carpenter (CRP): Makes a variety of wood based items, including weapons, tools, and likely in the future, furniture for player housing
    -Culinarian (CUL): Makes food and drink items to provide 30 minute boosts to stats for all the classes
    -Goldsmith (GSM): Makes primarily accessory items (Necklace, Earrings, Bracelets, Rings, and some belts), can also make some items for Weapon and armor making, or make them it self in a few cases
    -Leatherworker (LTW): Uses pelts and skins earned from battles to make Leather clothing/armor, and many times Belts and shoes/boots
    -Weaver (WVR): Makes Cloth based items, typically used by lighter armor classes, crafting classes, and is also the primary provider of Sashes for the Waist item slot

GO GET A JOB!: Explaining the Job system in FFXIV
    Spoiler
    Show
    Jobs are best looked at as FFXIV's version of a DnD Prestige Class. After completing the Level 30 War or Magic Guild quest on a class, and by having a Sub job who's ability will also be used by the job at level 15 or higher, you can take on a Job Quest. Completing this quest earns you two things: a new equipment item called a Soul Stone, and your first ability in the Job. By equiping these Soul stones, your base class becomes the associated Job (Don't worry, you can freely equip and unequip the soul stone at will to switch between the Base class, and the job). What are the Pros and Cons you ask? Well let's check it out:

PROS:
    -Enhances and/or Expands the role of the base class
    -Grants 5 Exclusive Abilities that can only be used by that job and are often some of the most powerful
    -Able to equip some of the most powerful, and awesome looking gear in the game

CONS:
    -Reduces number of Cross Class Skills from 10 to 5 (at level 50)
    -Restricts Cross Class Skills/Abilities to only 2 base classes
    -Because of the two above restrictions, in some rare cases, trying to fill out the 5th Cross class skill may be a toss up between several skills, or a skill that will not be often used

Overall, the Pros out weigh the Cons, especially in party play (Where there is often almost no excuse to not be using your class's Job). But in Solo play, not having as easy access on to some skills, notably defensive skills like Stone Skin, Protect, Raise/Resurrect, and Cure/Physick, or DoT/Debuff/Damage boosting Skills/abilities can be slightly harder, but not too badly.

In short, it's generally more beneficial to be on a Job than just sticking it out only on a Base class, Plus the respective Job armors are a great Spring board to equip your self for the current endgame raids (and the future expansions as they happen), to get even better gear!

So what are the jobs? As it currently stands, there are nine Jobs for the eight classes (Most classes have only one job currently, though Arcanist has two.) (EDIT: I've corrected some of the class information, as it was partly outdated with 1.0 knowledge. Some classes have been changed to alternate roles now, and have different Cross Classes than before)

Spoiler
    Show
    -Bard (BRD)/ Main Class: Archer. Sub class: PGL and LNC: The Bard Job expands the Archer's role into some Party Support abilities, and able to use MP to cast magical songs that aid the rest of the party by either boosting everyone elses MP regen, TP Regen, or Reducing enemies Elemental resistances. It also adds another AoE Weaponskill for use: Rain of Death, which lowers the target of the attack Damage dealing abilities by 10% and may allow for your next Quick Nock to be used with no TP cost

-Paladin (PLD)/ Main Class: Gladiator. Subclass: CNJ and MRD= By Combining White Magic with Battle skills, a Paladin boost the ability to reduce damage not just for themselves, but can now also cover a party member that has accrued too much Enmity from a foe, or render themselves nearly invincible to attacks for a few brief moments. They can also channel their spiritual strength into a deadly strike that will silence foes.

-Dragoon (DRG)/ Main Class: Lancer. Sub-class: MRD and PGL= Using the techniques of the dragonslayers of Ishgard, these Dragon knights can skewer any foe with a variety of high speed Jump attacks (Comes in Standard, Spine Shattering, and explosive fiery hot Dragonfire Dive flavors ) or cause a foe to lose interest in attacking them with a mobility restoring, and enmity reducing Elusive Jump

-Warrior (WAR)/ Main Class: Marauder. Sub Class: GLA and PGL= Warriors are famed for being two things: Defiant untill death, and being really quick to anger! By entering the HP and Enmity boosting Defiance stance, Warriors begin building up stacks of Wrath by using certain weaponskills and abilities, boosting chances for a Critical hit, and improving the effects of Cure spells on them. When they gain 5 stacks of Wrath, they become Infuriated, and can unleash their rage in one of three devastating ways upon the foe who dare invoke their fury.

-Monk (MNK)/ Main Class: Pugilist. Sub class: LNC and MRD= Based on the once famed Ala Mhigan order of warrior monks, these master of the martial fists further expands the ability to string together combos, with often reducing the foe's ability to defend it self from the follow up blows of the Monk and his or her allies.

-Ninja / Main Class: Rogue. Sub Classes: ?. = A style of combat imported to Eorzea courtesy of the Doman refugees fleeing the Garlean Empire, the Ninja combines the finesse of dual wielded daggers and short blades, with mystical Ninjitsu arts to cast elemental spells for a variety of situations.

-Summoner (SMN)/ Main Class: Arcanist. Sub classes: ARC and THM= By binding the elemental forces of the Beastmen tribes Primals, the Summoner calls forth a deadly elemental creature that can take on aspects of a Primal summon. This study in the primals, also enhances the Arcanist's Debuffing and damage dealing abilities

-Scholar (SCH)
    / Main Class Arcanist. Sub: CNJ and THM= With the aid of mystical fairies, Scholars have become extremely versed in healing and defensive spells and techniques, capable of now even being a full Main healer, while still providing crowd control abilities of the Arcanist

-White Mage (WHM): Main Class: Conjurer. Sub: ACN and THM= Keepers of the art of mystical succor, White Mages are the masters of healing, soothing the wounds with enhanced healing magic. Though, for those a White Mage finds profane can be smited with the power of Holy

-Black Mage (BLM)/ Main: Thaumaturge. Sub: ARC and ACN= Throwing the gates of the abyssal void wide open, the Black Mage can call forth the most dangerous of magical power to manipulate the most powerful versions of frost and flames, and manipulate the Aethyric energies that flow around them to protect themselves or others from those who seek to use thunder, fire, or ice against them.

The Bonus Attribute Point Allotment System. OR: "Where do I put these bonus points on my class?!".
    Spoiler
    Show
    So as you level up, you'll notice that you'll begin gaining "Bonus points" to spend on the 6 primary Attributes. The game provides a detailed description as to what each stat and attribute does, but in case you haven't seen yet, or want to know what they are, here they are:
    Spoiler
    Show

-Strength (STR): Melee ATK power, Improves Parry/Block Damage reduction
    -Dexterity (DEX): Ranged and Rogue/Ninja Physical Damage/ Chance to Block/Parry,
    -Vitality (VIT): Max HP boost
    -Intelligence (INT): Attack Magic Potency
    -Mind (MND): Healing Magic Potency
    -Piety (PIE): Max MP boost

So then, how should you spend your bonus points? Well in most cases, you should invest all or almost all of the 30 bonus points you'll gain by the time you reach 50 into your primary Damage (Or Healing for those who focus on it)

In short, here's what each of the classes should focus in (All points invested in a class, are also used for when they switch to a Job soul stone, and vice versa)

Spoiler
    Show
    -Archer= DEX
    -Gladiator= VIT, STR,
    -Lancer= STR
    -Marauder= STR, VIT
    -Pugilist= STR
    - Rogue/Ninja= DEX
    -Arcanist= INT and/or MND (Due to the nature of it's two Jobs, Arcanist can use both stats. Info courtesy of Sajiri), if you're planning to play as both Summoner and Scholar often, it may pay to focus more on MND over INT.
    -Conjurer= MND
    -Thaumaturge= INT

"Wait a moment, Razgriez. Why not "X"?
    You may be wondering why I don't mention VIT for any of the classes minus the two tanks, or PIE for MP in magic casting or say DEX for Marauder parry ability. Put simply, there are other ways to make up for these stats, namely, via equipment, and Materia Melding. Or, your class might have a way to quickly restore these.

For example, THM can cast Ice Spells to activate the Umbral Ice buff to rapidly regenerates MP. So PIE, which is easily gained via THM spec gear and materia, would only increase the number of Astral Fire enhanced fire spells able to be casted before switching to Umbral Ice.

Also, plenty of gear comes with VIT boosts as standard. And for Tanking jobs, you can always put on DEX or Battledance Materia to enhance your parry rate
    Last edited by Razgriez; 2014-10-28 at 08:34 AM.
    Final Fantasy XIV Dragoon custom avatar made by Iruka. Thanks Iruka.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

I actually didn't WANT to heal as arcanist, but I ended up doing it most times anyway. Either ending up in groups with no healer/healer dcing and I had to heal while we waited, or we formed groups within my FC and I always ended up as healer anyway.

Either way, currently sitting outside Brayflox waiting for my husband to get on so I can heal that as scholar

Edit: Healing Brayflox on scholar sucks. Majorly.
    I finally got the Scholar soul last night and I really love the two faeries it unlocks but how do I get them to stop autocasting their really important spells? It's really annoying when one of them has a 120 second cooldown and the sily fey pops it 2 seconds into a fight when no-ones taken any damage. =/

29. - Top - End - #29

I've only played for a tiny bit on Arcanist, but I believe there's a pet command you can use that tells your pet to not use it's abilities unless commanded to, Succubus

EDIT: Ok I checked today, on the Pet Command hotbar, I believe it's called "Obey" which puts your Summon into an aggressive stance, but restricts it's special actions usage to only when you command it
    Last edited by Razgriez; 2013-08-30 at 07:56 PM.
    Final Fantasy XIV Dragoon custom avatar made by Iruka. Thanks Iruka.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    I finally got the Scholar soul last night and I really love the two faeries it unlocks but how do I get them to stop autocasting their really important spells? It's really annoying when one of them has a 120 second cooldown and the sily fey pops it 2 seconds into a fight when no-ones taken any damage. =/
    Did you figure it out yet? You have to put them on steady and they'll just spam embrace on lowest hp party member until they're above 70% hp

Quote Originally Posted by Razgriez View Post
    Excalibur here and returning 1.0 Legacy. Glad to be back in Eorzea

If I may offer some information and advice to folks looking to join the game or just beginning/returning.

How many classes and roles are available in the game?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite a fair amount. (19 to be exact, +9 Advanced Jobs for the battle classes) FFXIV uses a system much like it's predecessor, Final Fantasy XI, in that you can play every class on one character (No need for Alts to get full enjoyment out of the game!). However, unlike in FFXI, you can freely switch classes at a moments notice, simply by changed what Weapon or Tool you wield in your Main hand slot. Also, where as in FFXI you had to select a Sub job to use more commands, here, classes offer Cross Class abilities and skills to use that you may freely select

The classes are as follows:
    Battle Roles: There are 8 base classes, + the 9 Advance Jobs (I.E. Prestige Classes) designed for battle. All are designed for either Tank, DPS, or Healer/Support, though a few can do a little bit of another party role in a tight spot. We'll discuss the Jobs in another section

Disciples of War (Physical types):
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Archer (ARC)= As the name implies, this is a Bow using Ranged Damage dealing class. The Archer relies on DoT applying attacks, and many of it's attacks will either recharge another powerful attack, or boost the critical rates for a short duration, or even allow for using Weaponskills with no cost to the TP gauge

-Gladiator (GLA)= A Tanking Class that fights using Sword and Shield. Thanks to their combination of plate armor, shield and sword, when it comes to outright preventing from taking damage in the first place, there is virtually no one better than a Gladiator

-Lancer (LNC)= A pole arm wielding DPS class, the lancers like to deal mass amounts of damage, often applying DoTs, while either slowing down an enemies attacks, or striking multiple foes at once with it's AoEs.

-Marauder (MRD)= A Great axe wielding Tanking classes, these mighty warriors like to keep enemies attention on them by being the meanest, most frightening thing charging across the battlefield while working themselves into a battle frenzy

-Pugilist (PGL): taking the phrase "Hand-to-hand combat" almost literally, Pugilist are another DPS class wielding a variety of fist weapons. They are the masters of chaining combos together by constantly changing stances. Every time they complete a chain of the three stances of Opo-Opo, Raptor, and Coeurl, they build up a stack of momentum called Greased Lightning that boost their damage and reduces Weapon Skill global cooldown time, allowing for faster combo chains

Disciples of Magic
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Arcanist (ACN): Wielding Grimoires of various magical calculations, this Support type caster is able to call forth Carbuncle as a magical familiar to aid them in battle. While their pet inflicts damage for them, the Arcanist can provide various means of crowd control, and debuffing effects, or provide additional healing for the party to help supplement the main healers

-Conjurer (CNJ): Calling forth the elements of nature to aid them, Conjurers use these powers to help defend the party as a Healer and buffer. However, by switching to a more battle capable Cleric Stance, they can provide additional damage dealing spells to the party

-Thaumaturge (THM): Calling upon the powers of destruction, a Thaumaturge is a DPS Blaster class, evoking the destructive nature of Lightning to inflict constant DoT, While Fire Spells evoke the nature of Astral Fire to dramatically boost damage. When their MP get's low, they call forth Umbral Ice to damage their foes and regain their Aethyric power to continue on with destroying their enemies

Non Battle Classes
    : These classes are used to gather items used in crafting, and the crafting classes them selves:
    Disciples of the Land: (Gathering classes)
    -Botanist (BTN): Used to Harvest plants and chop wood
    -Fisher (FSH): Do you need to even ask?
    -Miner (MIN): Ditto here.

Disciples of the Hand (Crafting Classes): These classes are used to make, and repair, items for other players
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Alchemist (ALC): Makes potions and some materials for other crafts
    -Armorer (ARM): Makes Metal armors (Scale, Plate, and Chain)
    -Blacksmith (BSM): Makes Weapons and Tools
    -Carpenter (CRP): Makes a variety of wood based items, including weapons, tools, and likely in the future, furniture for player housing
    -Culinarian (CUL): Makes food and drink items to provide 30 minute boosts to stats for all the classes
    -Goldsmith (GSM): Makes primarily accessory items (Necklace, Earrings, Bracelets, Rings, and some belts), can also make some items for Weapon and armor making, or make them it self in a few cases
    -Leatherworker (LTW): Uses pelts and skins earned from battles to make Leather clothing/armor, and many times Belts and shoes/boots
    -Weaver (WVR): Makes Cloth based items, typically used by lighter armor classes, crafting classes, and is also the primary provider of Sashes for the Waist item slot

GO GET A JOB!: Explaining the Job system in FFXIV
    Spoiler
    Show
    Jobs are best looked at as FFXIV's version of a DnD Prestige Class. After completing the Level 30 War or Magic Guild quest on a class, and by having a Sub job who's ability will also be used by the job at level 15 or higher, you can take on a Job Quest. Completing this quest earns you two things: a new equipment item called a Soul Stone, and your first ability in the Job. By equiping these Soul stones, your base class becomes the associated Job (Don't worry, you can freely equip and unequip the soul stone at will to switch between the Base class, and the job). What are the Pros and Cons you ask? Well let's check it out:

PROS:
    -Enhances and/or Expands the role of the base class
    -Grants 5 Exclusive Abilities that can only be used by that job and are often some of the most powerful
    -Able to equip some of the most powerful, and awesome looking gear in the game

CONS:
    -Reduces number of Cross Class Skills from 10 to 5 (at level 50)
    -Restricts Cross Class Skills/Abilities to only 2 base classes
    -Because of the two above restrictions, in some rare cases, trying to fill out the 5th Cross class skill may be a toss up between several skills, or a skill that will not be often used

Overall, the Pros out weigh the Cons, especially in party play (Where there is often almost no excuse to not be using your class's Job). But in Solo play, not having as easy access on to some skills, notably defensive skills like Stone Skin, Protect, Raise/Resurrect, and Cure/Physick, or DoT/Debuff/Damage boosting Skills/abilities can be slightly harder, but not too badly.

In short, it's generally more beneficial to be on a Job than just sticking it out only on a Base class, Plus the respective Job armors are a great Spring board to equip your self for the current endgame raids (and the future expansions as they happen), to get even better gear!

So what are the jobs? As it currently stands, there are nine Jobs for the eight classes (Most classes have only one job currently, though Arcanist has two.)

Spoiler
    Show
    -Bard (BRD)/ Main Class: Archer. Sub class: CNJ and LNC: The Bard Job expands the Archer's role into some Party Support abilities, turning them into secondary healers, and able to use MP to cast magical songs that aid the rest of the party by either boosting everyone elses MP regen, TP Regen, or Reducing enemies Elemental resistances

-Paladin (PLD)/ Main Class: Gladiator. Subclass: CNJ and MRD= By Combining White Magic with Battle skills, a Paladin boost the ability to reduce damage not just for themselves, but can now also cover a party member that has accrued too much Enmity from a foe, or render themselves nearly invincible to attacks for a few brief moments. They can also channel their spiritual strength into a deadly strike that will silence foes.

-Dragoon (DRG)/ Main Class: Lancer. Sub-class: MRD and PGL= Using the techniques of the dragonslayers of Ishgard, these Dragon knights can skewer any foe with a variety of high speed Jump attacks (Comes in Standard, Spine Shattering, and Really big Explosion flavors!) or cause a foe to lose interest in attacking them with a mobility restoring, and enmity reducing Elusive Jump

-Warrior (WAR)/ Main Class: Marauder. Sub Class: GLA and PGL= Warriors are famed for being two things: Defiant untill death, and being really quick to anger! By entering the HP and Enmity boosting Defiance stance, Warriors begin building up stacks of Wrath, boosting chances for a Critical hit, and improving the effects of Cure spells on them. When they gain 5 stacks of Wrath, they become Infuriated, and can unleash their rage in one of three devastating ways upon the foe who dare invoke their fury.

-Monk (MNK)/ Main Class: Pugilist. Sub class: LNC and MRD= Based on the once famed Ala Mhigan order of warrior monks, these master of the martial fists further expands the ability to string together combos, with often reducing the foe's ability to defend it self from the follow up blows of the Monk and his or her allies.

-Summoner (SMN)/ Main Class: Arcanist. Sub classes: ARC and THM= By binding the elemental forces of the Beastmen tribes Primals, the Summoner calls forth a deadly elemental creature that can take on aspects of a Primal summon. This study in the primals, also enhances the Arcanist's Debuffing and damage dealing abilities

-Scholar (SCH)
    / Main Class Arcanist. Sub: CNJ and THM= With the aid of mystical fairies, Scholars have become extremely versed in healing and defensive spells and techniques, capable of now even being a full Main healer, while still providing crowd control abilities of the Arcanist

-White Mage (WHM): Main Class: Conjurer. Sub: ACN and THM= Keepers of the art of mystical succor, White Mages are the masters of healing, soothing the wounds with enhanced healing magic. Though, for those a White Mage finds profane can be smited with the power of Holy

-Black Mage (BLM)/ Main: Thaumaturge. Sub: ARC and ACN= Throwing the gates of the abyssal void wide open, the Black Mage can call forth the most dangerous of magical power to manipulate the most powerful versions of frost and flames, and manipulate the Aethyric energies that flow around them to protect themselves or others from those who seek to use thunder, fire, or ice against them.

The Bonus Attribute Point Allotment System. OR: "Where do I put these bonus points on my class?!".
    Spoiler
    Show
    So as you level up, you'll notice that you'll begin gaining "Bonus points" to spend on the 6 primary Attributes. The game provides a detailed description as to what each stat and attribute does, but in case you haven't seen yet, or want to know what they are, here they are:
    Spoiler
    Show

-Strength (STR): Melee ATK power, Improves Parry/Block Damage reduction
    -Dexterity (DEX): Ranged Physical Damage/ Chance to Block/Parry
    -Vitality (VIT): Max HP boost
    -Intelligence (INT): Attack Magic Potency
    -Mind (MND): Healing Magic Potency
    -Piety (PIE): Max MP boost

So then, how should you spend your bonus points? Well in most cases, you should invest all or almost all of the 30 bonus points you'll gain by the time you reach 50 into your primary Damage (Or Healing for those who focus on it)

In short, here's what each of the classes should focus in (All points invested in a class, are also used for when they switch to a Job soul stone, and vice versa)

Spoiler
    Show
    -Archer= DEX
    -Gladiator= VIT, STR, and DEX
    -Lancer= STR
    -Marauder= STR, VIT
    -Pugilist= STR
    -Arcanist= INT (NOTE! May also need MND for Scholar job. Someone who is more versed in Arcanist/Scholar, please let me know)
    -Conjurer= MND
    -Thaumaturge= INT

"Wait a moment, Razgriez. Why not "X"?
    You may be wondering why I don't mention VIT for any of the classes minus the two tanks, or PIE for MP in magic casting or say DEX for Marauder parry ability. Put simply, there are other ways to make up for these stats, namely, via equipment, and Materia Melding. Or, your class might have a way to quickly restore these.

For example, THM can cast Ice Spells to activate the Umbral Ice buff to rapidly regenerates MP. So PIE, which is easily gained via THM spec gear and materia, would only increase the number of Astral Fire enhanced fire spells able to be casted before switching to Umbral Ice.

Also, plenty of gear comes with VIT boosts as standard. And for Tanking jobs, you can always put on DEX or Battledance Materia to enhance your parry rate
    Sch needs mind instead of int for heals, but you don't get new stats/resets when you change. Someone did a test, I think the difference at lvl 50 between all bonuses in int, and all in mnd is only about 30-40hp when you cast physick, however mnd also affects the fairy. I currently have all points pre 30 thrown into int, everything I get after 50 is mnd, until I get to 50 and I'll probably reset to all mnd.
    Last edited by Sajiri; 2013-08-31 at 04:34 PM.

Ruya avatar by me!
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)