New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: FFXIV: A Realm Reborn

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    I'll probably get it then =)
    One thing I am curious about(less a buy it or not buy it sort of thing, more just something I'm interested in); are over world zones instanced(in the style of Guildwars 2, Neverwinter, and EQ2), Dungeons(ala DDO) or Open World(in the style of World of Warcraft, or single player sandbox games[TES, Fallout, and such])?
    There's a loading screen between different zones if that's what you mean? I can't quite remember GW2 or Neverwinter but I think it's like them, while the dungeons are instanced like in WoW

3DS friend code: 0748-2783-1667
    Mii name: Sajiri

Ruya avatar by me!
    My Tumblr (more active than Deviantart these days)
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Non-dungeons are not instanced (there's not different instances of the same area).
    World areas are separate zones with loading screens, a-la Everquest (am I showing my age?).
    Dungeons are instanced.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ettin in the Playground

I think I get the style then(I hadn't quite been sure how to describe it, but EQ/EQ2-esc seems like a good description)
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

4. - Top - End - #274

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sajiri View Post
    That may be true but for enjoyment duty roulette is amazing. It gives a bonus at the end if you're overleveled for it, it's still better to do whatever dungeon fits around your level but not that much better that its not worth it at all to do the old ones. I'd rather take a little hit to my exp and do random dungeons rather than burn myself out on the same one over and over..even though thats kind of what Im doing with brayflox right now. Why won't that body drop >_<
    Gear is the primary reason, at least in my opinion. I know that if you have a lv50 already gear @ 50 is trivial to acquire. For example I have a full Darklight set plus Garuda weapon (all iLv70) for dragoon which is at level 35. Getting relatively up to date gear as you're leveling to 50 makes thing so much smoother.

Higher item level gear also can be traded for more GC seals.
    Last edited by Talderas; 2013-12-26 at 11:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JusticeZero View Post
    i'm not going to act like a complete idiot and cripple myself, either, just so that YOU can feel like you are awesomely powerful playing your crossbow barbarian or whatever.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Talderas View Post
    Gear is the primary reason, at least in my opinion. I know that if you have a lv50 already gear @ 50 is trivial to acquire. For example I have a full Darklight set plus Garuda weapon (all iLv70) for dragoon which is at level 35. Getting relatively up to date gear as you're leveling to 50 makes thing so much smoother.

Higher item level gear also can be traded for more GC seals.
    Man, speaking of gear, I was bummed.

So, my SMN's in full darklight (except jewelry).

I'm in Crystal Tower, and get the crimson hat, yay!

Except in order to wear the hat and have it not be a downgrade in int, I need either crimson robe (maybe next week), summoner's doublet (holding onto the tomes for weapon when I finally beat titan HM), or to craft the weaving-made chestpiece.

...or be running coil for allagan, which I'm not.

I dislike the "cannot wear head" chestpieces.

Edit: I'm also jumping through hoops to get the older nintendo wifi to work on my computer, so I can get the crimson robe in FF 3 DS, either to "increase drop rate" in FFXIV...or just because I like the idea of having the same item in 14 and the game it came from.
    Last edited by huttj509; 2013-12-26 at 11:48 AM.

6. - Top - End - #276

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by huttj509 View Post
    Man, speaking of gear, I was bummed.

So, my SMN's in full darklight (except jewelry).

I'm in Crystal Tower, and get the crimson hat, yay!

Except in order to wear the hat and have it not be a downgrade in int, I need either crimson robe (maybe next week), summoner's doublet (holding onto the tomes for weapon when I finally beat titan HM), or to craft the weaving-made chestpiece.
    The differences between Crimson Circlet / Demagogue Half Robe and Darklight Cowl of Casting....

Darklight, +1 vitality, +2 intelligence, +43 accuracy, -19 critical hit, -21 determination, +6 spell speed

Crimson Circlet & Demagogue Half Robe is a higher DPS combination than the Darklight Cowl of Casting (8 determination = 1 intelligence) and the higher crit on crimson/demagogue is awesome as well. The only question is whether or not you can afford to lose 43 accuracy.
    Last edited by Talderas; 2013-12-26 at 01:08 PM.
    i'm not going to act like a complete idiot and cripple myself, either, just so that YOU can feel like you are awesomely powerful playing your crossbow barbarian or whatever.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

The differences between Crimson Circlet / Demagogue Half Robe and Darklight Cowl of Casting....

Darklight, +1 vitality, +2 intelligence, +43 accuracy, -19 critical hit, -21 determination, +6 spell speed

Crimson Circlet & Demagogue Half Robe is a higher DPS combination than the Darklight Cowl of Casting (8 determination = 1 intelligence) and the higher crit on crimson/demagogue is awesome as well. The only question is whether or not you can afford to lose 43 accuracy.
    Ok. I've been having trouble finding stat conversions like that. I was just told "any int gain is better than other stuff." Which is apparently not correct.

Something else I've been unable to find: Does crit affect Summoner Dots at all? I know DoTs don't crit, but some other games rolled crit chance into overall dot damage to compensate for that, and keep gear roughly equivalent between classes that are dot-heavy and those that aren't.

Also, I've found conflicting information on Accuracy caps (Why SQenix didn't go the route of converting ratings to percentages in the character sheet UI, I dunno, I'm of the opinion that mechanics and stat conversions should not be hidden at all, if it's the sort of thing the fanbase will be able to decipher anyway). Now, I'm not doing Coil, and have no plans to. Outside of Coil, does any content have the higher Accuracy cap?

I swear there's some easy reference site somewhere, but I keep finding the FFXIV forum with a lot of blather, confused information, wrong information, occasionally deliberately wrong information (as one guy was called out for in a BLM rotation thread), and such.

8. - Top - End - #278

NecromancerGuy

Ok. I've been having trouble finding stat conversions like that. I was just told "any int gain is better than other stuff." Which is apparently not correct.

Something else I've been unable to find: Does crit affect Summoner Dots at all? I know DoTs don't crit, but some other games rolled crit chance into overall dot damage to compensate for that, and keep gear roughly equivalent between classes that are dot-heavy and those that aren't.
    DoT ticks crit but do not display a ! indicating that a crit occurred. DoTs also are concerned with any buffs that would increase damage when you cast the DoT and not when it ticks. All DoTs tick on the same timer which happens to be every three seconds. So what it means that if you have a DoT that says 20s duration you'll either get 6 or 7 ticks depending on how long after the last DoT tick you cast the spell.

Also, I've found conflicting information on Accuracy caps (Why SQenix didn't go the route of converting ratings to percentages in the character sheet UI, I dunno, I'm of the opinion that mechanics and stat conversions should not be hidden at all, if it's the sort of thing the fanbase will be able to decipher anyway). Now, I'm not doing Coil, and have no plans to. Outside of Coil, does any content have the higher Accuracy cap?
    Accuracy cap varies between physical and magical damage dealers. Accuracy cap also varies by content. To do coil turns 1-4 as a paladin I need 472-475 accuracy. To do turn 5 I need 485.

The bigger problem is in accurately identifying which stats have tiered bonuses rather than consistent. For example, parry is not a tiered stat. 1 point of parry does provide an increased chance to parry (~0.076%-0.078%). However dexterity is a tiered stat and you need to reach X value of dexterity to increase the amount of damage reduced by parrying. That's the big reason I prefer Sea Wolf over Highlander (+5 Str, +6 Vit vs +6 Str, +5 Vit). The odds that I need 1 strength to reach the next tier of strength for blocking are very low and even though the bonus is low it's still an extra 14.5hp over the highlander.

I swear there's some easy reference site somewhere, but I keep finding the FFXIV forum with a lot of blather, confused information, wrong information, occasionally deliberately wrong information (as one guy was called out for in a BLM rotation thread), and such.
    The big thing is to figure out the theory crafters. Valk is one but so far as I can tell he hasn't really delved into magic based damage as much as mitigation, physical damage, and healing.
    Last edited by Talderas; 2013-12-27 at 07:25 AM.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ettin in the Playground

What class combinations are needed for bards and scholars?
    I figured I should find out ahead of time.
    I know archer is part of bard... But that's about all.
    Last edited by Togath; 2013-12-27 at 08:20 AM.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

10. - Top - End - #280

NecromancerGuy

What class combinations are needed for bards and scholars?
    I figured I should find out ahead of time.
    I know archer is part of bard... But that's about all.
    Bard is a job for the archer class. It requires lv30 archer and lv15 pugilist to acquire and also gains access to lancer cross class skills.

Scholar is one of the jobs for the arcanist class (the other is summoner). It requires lv30 arcanist and lv15 conjurer to enter and also gains access to thaumaturge cross class skills.

In general, I don't think there are any cross class skills above level 34. Cross class skills aren't bound by level. So if you have a lv34 conjurer and stoneskin from it, you can use stoneskin at level 1 as long as you have a cross class slot and the ability to cross class stoneskin.
    Last edited by Talderas; 2013-12-27 at 08:51 AM.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

DoT ticks crit but do not display a ! indicating that a crit occurred.
    Wow, that's news to me. I hadn't noticed that at all. Admittedly, I just mainly see a flurry of faint red numbers around my target, and dots don't show up in the combat log. I should go find a target dummy and just cast Bio 2 for my own edification. (See earlier comment about obscured mechanics)

Edit: Confirmed. Most of my Bio 2 were ticking for 68-73, suddenly one popped up for 100.

Accuracy cap varies between physical and magical damage dealers. Accuracy cap also varies by content. To do coil turns 1-4 as a paladin I need 472-475 accuracy. To do turn 5 I need 485.
    What's the cap for non-coil content? Is it just "low enough that you're over it unless you're actively trying to avoid Accuracy"? Like, 200 or something?
    Last edited by huttj509; 2013-12-27 at 10:31 AM.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Barbarian in the Playground

So, this happened this week:
    Spoiler
    Show
    *Spins the Duty Roulette as a 43 BRD, get lucky, and receive Sunken Temple of Qarn which I needed for the new story quests*

WAR: "Hi"
    SCH: "Hello!"
    Me (BRD): "Hi everyone."
    Archer (wait, what?!):"Hey"
    WAR: "Not going as Bard, [Archer]?
    Archer: "No. I think Bard sucks. What good is it?"
    Me(BRD): "Well, for starters, just simply equipping a Soul Stone provides a decent attribute boost to those vital to your class/job."
    Archer: "I didn't know that actually.
    WAR: "Also the songs are vital to keeping casters, especially healers, MP up during long fights, and Physical DPS/Tanks TP as well for similar situations.
    Me: "There's also Rain of Death, a vital AoE attack, and part of the Bard/Archer's AoE Chain that grants a chance at free AoE attacks.
    Archer: "oh..."
    WAR: Also let's you equip BRD only gear, for example, your AF, and AF+1/Mythic Choral/Bard gear.
    Me: And your Artemis Bow Relic.
    WAR: Basically, it's what gets you invited to parties for end game"
    Archer: "So I'm going to go unlock Bard after this then, thanks for letting me know."

Anyways, replying to the question time:

At Huttj, Regarding Accuracy: If you're north of 375 for the the stuff around 50ish item drop mark, you should be ok (I.E. WP, AK, Castrum/Praetorium, etc) After that, I'd aim (pardon the pun) for the low half of the 400s for the stuff where ILV 60 gear drops (Hard mode Copperbell/Haukke). somewhere around or above 430 for Pharos/CT, and then onwards from there. Granted this is for a Melee DPS (DRG) that I can speak with certainty on, but should roughly be about the same story for all classes.

In truth, you won't really have to go out of your way to acquiring Accuracy+ gear. So long as you are updating your gear to the best you can get at the time, you should be alright. The 55, 60, 70 (Darklight/steel with materia), CT/Relic 80, Zenith/Mythic/AF+1/Allegan 90+ gear sets all tend to come with significant enough Accuracy buffs.

While we're on the subject of gear, for Melee DPS and DL, I prefer the Striking series of accessories, with the exception of the Rings (Use Philosophy Tomes to get both Maiming and Striking rings). Most of the Striking gear comes with Accuracy (albeit at a lower rate than the Maiming version), while providing significant boost to other secondary stats.

At Talderas.
    Regarding DF and Party Make up: I partially agree with your sentiments. The two issues I have with DF party making is the following:

1. It uses a "1 Size Fits All" logic. This is normally ok, except for one problem: One size fits all fits alright for most, but not perfect for all situations. What I would like, is a DF option that lets me select either "Standard" (2 Tanks, 2 healers, 4 DPS), or "Player Favored" (What's the most common Role set up)

2. The changes to the Limit Break gauge building, didn't factor in DF.
    So on one hand, as a Legacy player (Where there was no Party Limit Break) who dealt with the cookie cutter party build of WAR, WHM, WHM, BRD,BRD, BLM, BLM, BLM (or some variant of that), I'm glad that SE has taken steps in ARR to avoid this. But now with the 2.1 ARW update, there's a bit of an unintended consequence with DF. Sure, with PF, I can modify the requested roles and which jobs I need/want. But with Duty Finder, I'm stuck with what I get. DF drops me in a party with 3 DRGs, 2 WHMs, 2 PLD, and some other DPS? There goes efficient LB building.
    Final Fantasy XIV Dragoon custom avatar made by Iruka. Thanks Iruka.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ettin in the Playground

smile Re: FFXIV: A Realm Reborn

I'm planning on getting this game tomorrow, any tips for a newbie?
    I've played mmos before(wow, ddo, and guildwars 2 mainly), so I understand things such as tanks, healers, and dps, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask for tips specific to ffXIV.
    Last edited by Togath; 2013-12-28 at 11:28 PM.
    Meow(Steam page)

14. - Top - End - #284

I'm planning on getting this game tomorrow, any tips for a newbie?
    I've played mmos before(wow, ddo, and guildwars 2 mainly), so I understand things such as tanks, healers, and dps, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask for tips specific to ffXIV.
    Dont buy gear for your first class, you get lots of gear from your main story quests.

Speaking of, keep up with those. You have to do dungeons and the like as part of it, and its designed that you have quests at each level to do

Ruya avatar by me!
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ettin in the Playground

Started it up an enjoying it so far..
    Anyone have tips for improving fps? I'm not sure what about half of the options on the settings menu mean...
    I'm currently at a stable 13-15fps, but I'm also in Gridania(I'd assume it's likely a more processing intensive area given the trees?)
    Last edited by Togath; 2013-12-30 at 01:33 AM.
    Meow(Steam page)

16. - Top - End - #286

Started it up an enjoying it so far..
    Anyone have tips for improving fps? I'm not sure what about half of the options on the settings menu mean...
    I'm currently at a stable 13-15fps, but I'm also in Gridania(I'd assume it's likely a more processing intensive area given the trees?)
    You should be able to turn off battle effects somewhere, Im not actually sure how though, but I imagine that would help.

Ruya avatar by me!
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ettin in the Playground

I've gotten my framerate to about 17-19 fps now.
    With that out of the way(enough for now anyway); are there any benefits to having had a copy of 1.0? I know there was something about importing old characters and certain items, but I don't know much more than that.
    Meow(Steam page)

18. - Top - End - #288

NecromancerGuy

Got Gold on Odin. So now I've added Zantetsuken to my Sleipnir barding.

19. - Top - End - #289

I've gotten my framerate to about 17-19 fps now.
    With that out of the way(enough for now anyway); are there any benefits to having had a copy of 1.0? I know there was something about importing old characters and certain items, but I don't know much more than that.
    It's the same game in the end, it was just if you played during 1.0 you got to keep your old characters which would now have a special tattoo on their back, a different cutscene at the start and some slightly altered dialogue in the main quest (pretty much just people saying 'you look familiar') I think if you managed to buy the 1.0 collectors edition now you could still get the special items from that, but other than that no there's no benefit to it now.

Ruya avatar by me!
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ettin in the Playground

Question Re: FFXIV: A Realm Reborn

Is there a page I enter the registration code for my copy of the original? Do I need to find my old account and sync it somehow?
    Last edited by Togath; 2013-12-30 at 09:57 PM.
    Meow(Steam page)

21. - Top - End - #291

Is there a page I enter the registration code for my copy of the original? Do I need to find my old account and sync it somehow?
    Not sure but it's probably just on your SE account management page wherever your put in codes for any other stuff.

I finally got my bard to 50 and got around to trying Crystal Tower the other night. I seemed to keep getting lumped with another healer that was afk half the time and only threw out a cure once every 10 seconds or so. But I got the crimson robe for smn since I started late in the week and no healer gear had dropped.

Also finally got to go to T4 in coil. Group I was in changed their days to a day I cant make it but I have this week off work so they brought me along. Didn't get to try T5 since the guy leading it had to leave. Afterwards, I decided to take some selfies.

(Possibly minor spoilers since they're from rather late cutscenes, but you probably wouldnt know whats going on if you hadn't reached that point anyway)

Spoiler
    Show

Ruya avatar by me!
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ettin in the Playground

Looking at the support pages, all I've found so far is that it seems I may have wasted 25$... I'd assumed I needed to buy a new copy of the game...
    Not to insult square/enix too much, but why isn't the "you don't need to buy it again if you had 1.0" thing not on the front page?
    Meow(Steam page)

23. - Top - End - #293

Looking at the support pages, all I've found so far is that it seems I may have wasted 25$... I'd assumed I needed to buy a new copy of the game...
    Not to insult square/enix too much, but why isn't the "you don't need to buy it again if you had 1.0" thing not on the front page?
    They were very clear on it when ARR came out, but I guess they havent kept up on it since for people who are returning later :/ Although since you dont need the reg codes for ARR if you had 1.0 (I didnt realise that or I would have said so) you could potentially just resell it or give the codes to a friend.

Ruya avatar by me!
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah.. bother..
    And aye, I haven't really kept up with it...
    I've already used my code(for arr)...
    I suppose it's not a total waste though, I can't get the legacy marked character with my new account, but I did grab the collector's edition of ARR, so I suppose that's a plus.(and looking at the pricing, an upgrade to collector's edition is 20$, so I only paid 5$ more than if I'd used my old account, and got a free month thrown in)
    Meow(Steam page)

25. - Top - End - #295

NecromancerGuy

Also finally got to go to T4 in coil.
    At Turn 4. The part that makes healers cry and tanks soil their pants.

Didn't get to try T5 since the guy leading it had to leave.
    At most, only two members can be under 4,200 hp and those that are under 4,200 hp probably need to be around 3,700 hp or more as they will require stoneskin or adloq in order to get a shield to push them above 4,200 effective hp. This is not a recommendation but a requirement for dealing with mechanics of the fight.

Afterwards, I decided to take some selfies.
    The second one makes me think "Look at how big that is!"

26. - Top - End - #296

At Turn 4. The part that makes healers cry and tanks soil their pants.

At most, only two members can be under 4,200 hp and those that are under 4,200 hp probably need to be around 3,700 hp or more as they will require stoneskin or adloq in order to get a shield to push them above 4,200 effective hp. This is not a recommendation but a requirement for dealing with mechanics of the fight.

The second one makes me think "Look at how big that is!"
    I probably wont get a chance to go again for a while, only time I've done coil is with those guys and havent been keen to go with pugs yet. I didn't find t4 all that bad, though we did wipe a few times with the other healer not seeming to know what he was doing..that guy usually goes bard or dagoon I think.

Ruya avatar by me!
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

27. - Top - End - #297

Well today, I got job number 4 to 50, another DPS.

Achievement Unlocked: "You Spoony Bard!!!" (Actually it's a different name in game, but why break tradition?)

On the down side, to get the last level and a quarter I needed, involved a bit a trying Duty Finder Aurum Vale run.

Short version: attempt 1 against Coincounter: I "Alpha striked/Nova" with all 6 of my buffs (one of which being Quelling strikes), plus the normal typical rotation for Bards of Straight Shot, Blood Letter, Venomous Shot, Windbite, and Flaming shot, got enmity, died, party wipe

Attempt 2: WHM get's focused on by one of Coincounter's special attacks, and runs to where my self and the other Bard was, and we get hit by that sweep AoE laser attack. Party Blames me again. Also the Paladin ran in without Shield Oath on

Attempt 3: I spend 20 seconds at the beginning only doing Auto attack, that's it. After waiting, I tried staggering my actions again, and only used Quelling Strikes, Blood for Blood, and Internal Release (make note, two of those are Cross Class skills with only 10% buffs, weaker than Raging Strike/Hawk's Eye on Bard). Didn't use Flaming arrow, slowed down my action usage.... and still got enmity from the tank. Party blames me, and rage quit. Thankfully 3 replacements showed up, and completed Aurum vale with no further problems
    Last edited by Razgriez; 2023-04-19 at 07:23 AM.
    Final Fantasy XIV Dragoon custom avatar made by Iruka. Thanks Iruka.

28. - Top - End - #298

Quote Originally Posted by Razgriez View Post

Achievement Unlocked: "You Spoony Bard!!!" (Actually it's a different name in game, but why break tradition?)

On the down side, to get the last level and a quarter I needed, involved a bit a trying Duty Finder Aurum Vale run.

And in honor of my latest 50 achievement, I shall try to live up to the task of being a warrior skald, and tell what happened somewhat in character! (also because it'll hopefully be a better spin than just transcribing the rants of some angry people playing the blame game)

Spoiler: The Tale of Aurum Vale
    Show
    From the cold frozen lands of Coerthas, I entered the cave, and greeted 3 fellow adventurers from foreign lands, and alternate worlds. Amongst our group consisted a Paladin, a White Mage, and a fellow bard! With weapons drawn and strung, and courage at the time, we entered the poisoned deaths, of the Aurum Vale.

We cleared the first chamber with ease, and took down the Vale's first Master with arrow, blade and magick. From there, we cleared the passages of 'mites, and encountered the second Master of the vale, the gigas known as CoinCounter. With the Rage of my patron of the twelve, Halone, I focused the power into a mighty burst of speed and frenzy, unleashing arrow after arrow into the foe. Alas it would seem, I fired too often, for the gigas turned his baleful eye to my efforts, and chased after me, and smashed my body into the floor, along with the 3 others, of our party of four.

Taking pity upon us, the Mother Crystal sent us back, so that we could challenge the dread gigas again. but before we did, the Paladin bid I stagger my fury. But the shield warrior chimed in: "Make sure you use your Quelling Strikes"

Slightly annoyed that I had use such a skill, I politely said I did, and would try to hold back. Again we charged forth at Coincounter, when the White Mage gained the attention this time, and brought the Gigas over to swipe at all the ranged warriors.

Revived again, rather than take the blame, the Mage and the Paladin blamed it on me again!. I protested, and pointed out I had staggered my power that time, and began to wonder aside to my Linkshell, whether the Paladin was better at gaining the enmity of myself, rather than our foes.

A third time we charged, and to avoid the blame, for 20 seconds long, I did the most basic of attacks. After 20 seconds elapsed, I turned on my Quelling Strikes, Blood for Blood, and Internal Release, as well as a normal rotation, but without the aid of flaming arrows. Despite these measures, again I took the enmity of our foe, and soon after, the same repeated amongst the others.

With fingers pointed at me, now all three sent provokes and blame at me. They accused me of not knowing how to fight, despite 3 examples in spite. And with rage they quit the vale, leaving me to ponder how it was my fault, to no avail. Thankfully after a few moment rest, 3 other adventurers came, and helped complete the quest. Thus ends, the Tale of the Vale

Or the Short version: attempt 1 against Coincounter: I "Alpha striked/Nova" with all 6 of my buffs (one of which being Quelling strikes), plus the normal typical rotation for Bards of Straight Shot, Blood Letter, Venomous Shot, Windbite, and Flaming shot, got enmity, died, party wipe

Attempt 2: WHM get's focused on by one of Coincounter's special attacks, and runs to where my self and the other Bard was, and we get hit by that sweep AoE laser attack. Party Blames me again. Also the Paladin ran in without Shield Oath on

Attempt 3: I spend 20 seconds at the beginning only doing Auto attack, that's it. After waiting, I tried staggering my actions again, and only used Quelling Strikes, Blood for Blood, and Internal Release (make note, two of those are Cross Class skills with only 10% buffs, weaker than Raging Strike/Hawk's Eye on Bard). Didn't use Flaming arrow, slowed down my action usage.... and still got enmity from the tank. Party blames me, and rage quit. Thankfully 3 replacements showed up, and completed Aurum vale with no further problems
    I always feel like bard gets a whole lot more enmity than other classes for some reason. Quelling Strikes comes far too late :/

Attempt one sucks, but usually if its a single target/boss the tank shouldnt have issues holding it, it's usually when there's multiples that the bard will pull hate so I dont know what was going on there. Second one looks like they just had an easy option to pass blame (unfairly). Third time I'd wager if you really took that long just doing basic attacks, the tank was probably intentionally not building enmity and waiting for you to take hate so he could leave and blame it on someone else.

Ruya avatar by me!
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Razgriez View Post

And in honor of my latest 50 achievement, I shall try to live up to the task of being a warrior skald, and tell what happened somewhat in character! (also because it'll hopefully be a better spin than just transcribing the rants of some angry people playing the blame game)

Spoiler: The Tale of Aurum Vale
    Show
    From the cold frozen lands of Coerthas, I entered the cave, and greeted 3 fellow adventurers from foreign lands, and alternate worlds. Amongst our group consisted a Paladin, a White Mage, and a fellow bard! With weapons drawn and strung, and courage at the time, we entered the poisoned deaths, of the Aurum Vale.

We cleared the first chamber with ease, and took down the Vale's first Master with arrow, blade and magick. From there, we cleared the passages of 'mites, and encountered the second Master of the vale, the gigas known as CoinCounter. With the Rage of my patron of the twelve, Halone, I focused the power into a mighty burst of speed and frenzy, unleashing arrow after arrow into the foe. Alas it would seem, I fired too often, for the gigas turned his baleful eye to my efforts, and chased after me, and smashed my body into the floor, along with the 3 others, of our party of four.

Taking pity upon us, the Mother Crystal sent us back, so that we could challenge the dread gigas again. but before we did, the Paladin bid I stagger my fury. But the shield warrior chimed in: "Make sure you use your Quelling Strikes"

Slightly annoyed that I had use such a skill, I politely said I did, and would try to hold back. Again we charged forth at Coincounter, when the White Mage gained the attention this time, and brought the Gigas over to swipe at all the ranged warriors.

Revived again, rather than take the blame, the Mage and the Paladin blamed it on me again!. I protested, and pointed out I had staggered my power that time, and began to wonder aside to my Linkshell, whether the Paladin was better at gaining the enmity of myself, rather than our foes.

A third time we charged, and to avoid the blame, for 20 seconds long, I did the most basic of attacks. After 20 seconds elapsed, I turned on my Quelling Strikes, Blood for Blood, and Internal Release, as well as a normal rotation, but without the aid of flaming arrows. Despite these measures, again I took the enmity of our foe, and soon after, the same repeated amongst the others.

With fingers pointed at me, now all three sent provokes and blame at me. They accused me of not knowing how to fight, despite 3 examples in spite. And with rage they quit the vale, leaving me to ponder how it was my fault, to no avail. Thankfully after a few moment rest, 3 other adventurers came, and helped complete the quest. Thus ends, the Tale of the Vale

Or the Short version: attempt 1 against Coincounter: I "Alpha striked/Nova" with all 6 of my buffs (one of which being Quelling strikes), plus the normal typical rotation for Bards of Straight Shot, Blood Letter, Venomous Shot, Windbite, and Flaming shot, got enmity, died, party wipe

Just checking. Are you aware coincounter has a threatdrop?

30. - Top - End - #300

Not only does he have a threat drop he'll just use special attacks all willy nilly at others with no regard to proper threat management.

I hate AV with a passion. The first time I ran it my fairy kept dieing to the debuff, and I had one of our DDs eating all the fruits as soon as he got one stack of it. -.- It was so annoying. Done it since the patch and it wasn't so bad since the fairy didn't take the debuff anymore, but still an annoying dungeon to heal through.