New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: FFXIV: A Realm Reborn

Quote Originally Posted by Razgriez View Post
    As for the level 26 GLA WS: Rage of Halone, it's awesome. a High potency combo finisher, that also boost enmity AND inflicts 5%/10% with trait bonus, Strength down Debuff? Yes please.
    I think things improved drastically with level 26. I did the maw and having two emnity combo attacks makes target switching bearable and useful. Things were a lot smoother, though I still hate the instance due to how much it constricts your sight line.
    Quote Originally Posted by JusticeZero View Post
    i'm not going to act like a complete idiot and cripple myself, either, just so that YOU can feel like you are awesomely powerful playing your crossbow barbarian or whatever.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rising Phoenix View Post
    I am referring to most mage gear looking absolutely ridiculous.

Also I am thouroughly enjoying the scholar, it certainly is a class that makes you think on how to use its abilities which is great.
    It's good to see you're in touch with your inner pixie. =p

But yes, I have to agree that most mage gear is not very aesthetically appealing. I usually keep my hat hidden.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

Some UI related questions:

1) Is there any way to hide the action bar numbers?

2) Is there any way to flip/reverse elements?

3) Is there any way to adjust the grid size?

4) Is it possible to get more than four vertical action bars?

5) Is there any way to bind Left Shift (by itself, not as a modifier key)?

4. - Top - End - #124

I got my pugilist to lvl 20 last night. Now Im back at work I don't get online until the majority of my ls has gone to bed, so I just play alone.

Damn pugilist is crazy, making sure to use its crit buff and keeping the buff up from cross classed straight shot, as well as standing in the right positions for each ability of course, I'm critting 9/10 times it feels like. I used to get mad in dungeons about pugs trying to solo their own mobs, but after doing some dungeons last night I realised that with how fast they go down when you stand in the right spots, it's quite easy to think everyone's on the same thing, then you turn around after it's dead and realise you just took it down yourself in the same time it took the rest of the party to kill another one together

I'm already enjoying PUG more than SMN, but then I only switch to smn when we're doing a 4 man that I let my other friend come as healer, and I didn't have any INT gear other than smn's af. Also, the pug class quests are hilarious.

3DS friend code: 0748-2783-1667
    Mii name: Sajiri

Ruya avatar by me!
    My Tumblr (more active than Deviantart these days)
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

5. - Top - End - #125

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sajiri View Post
    I used to get mad in dungeons about pugs trying to solo their own mobs, but after doing some dungeons last night I realised that with how fast they go down when you stand in the right spots, it's quite easy to think everyone's on the same thing, then you turn around after it's dead and realise you just took it down yourself in the same time it took the rest of the party to kill another one together
    Pugs that don't use mob markings? Ugh.

I always to make sure to mark 1/2/3/4/5 for a kill order. It's better that way because it eases the healer's job by reducing the incoming damage as fast as possible. Plus it also keeps the pugs focused on my primary tanking target leaving me to only need to manage emnity on the other mobs for the healer.

I'm level 28 on gladiator now so I think I'm well within striking range of unlocking paladin tonight.
    Last edited by Talderas; 2013-09-18 at 03:38 PM.
    i'm not going to act like a complete idiot and cripple myself, either, just so that YOU can feel like you are awesomely powerful playing your crossbow barbarian or whatever.

6. - Top - End - #126

Quote Originally Posted by Talderas View Post
    Pugs that don't use mob markings? Ugh.

I always to make sure to mark 1/2/3/4/5 for a kill order. It's better that way because it eases the healer's job by reducing the incoming damage as fast as possible. Plus it also keeps the pugs focused on my primary tanking target leaving me to only need to manage emnity on the other mobs for the healer.

I'm level 28 on gladiator now so I think I'm well within striking range of unlocking paladin tonight.
    Oh yeah, if there's marking I follow it. But it's rough when they dont, I wait a few seconds for them to grab everything, get on the one the tank is on, but then they switch and I dont realise, or other people are all fighting whatever and it gets rough. Think I need to make a macro to target the tanks target and just spam it.

Ruya avatar by me!
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    It's good to see you're in touch with your inner pixie. =p

But yes, I have to agree that most mage gear is not very aesthetically appealing. I usually keep my hat hidden.
    You can keep your hat hidden? Can you do the same thing with earrings? Please do share.

On another note: are you guys using multiple tunes or just the single one for all the classes?
    Awesome FE sprites done by Penguinator

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #128

You can keep your hat hidden? Can you do the same thing with earrings? Please do share.

On another note: are you guys using multiple tunes or just the single one for all the classes?
    On your character sheet, top left just above the character image, there are three little icons. One is show heazd gear, one is show weapons and one is draw weapons.

Can't hide earnings atm to my knowledge. Which is annoying, because my Laf white mage has a set of giant sapphire blue drops dangling in the breeze in every cut screen.

I have one *toon* for everything. Only reason i would make another one is to see the main story a second time and i didn't really like the story the first time round.

On an unrelated note, started crafting last night, think i might give it a miss in this game. While i like some of the mechanics, i just find it slow and boring. Especially after GW2 crafting.
    Aside from "have fun", i think the key to GMing is putting your players into situations where they need to make a choice that has no perfect outcome available. They will hate you for it, but they will be back at the table session after session.

9. - Top - End - #129

Crafting used to have time limits, had to be fast about it (kinda).

I wish I could see my earrings, but my hairstyle covers them pretty well ):

Ruya avatar by me!
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

10. - Top - End - #130

NecromancerGuy

Oh yeah, if there's marking I follow it. But it's rough when they dont, I wait a few seconds for them to grab everything, get on the one the tank is on, but then they switch and I dont realise, or other people are all fighting whatever and it gets rough. Think I need to make a macro to target the tanks target and just spam it.
    If the tank isn't marking, just mark it for him.

--

Quote Originally Posted by Kaun View Post
    I have one *toon* for everything. Only reason i would make another one is to see the main story a second time and i didn't really like the story the first time round.
    Well, the main story does branch at two points. There's the initiate branches before they converge, where it's based off your starting city. Then you get the airship pass and shortly thereafter things merge. Then each grand company has its only main quest.

The other advantage to multiple characters is actually in leveling... as strange as that may sound. Once you exhaust quests then the only way you get lots of xp in short order is FATEs, leves, and dungeons. From what I've gathered, quests will be mostly exhausted by the time you start your 3rd class to 50.

So look at it this way. Each job only has three classes from which it can draw skills. Seeing as you will almost certainly have exhausted every quest by the 4th class you level there is an argument to be made that if you want a 2nd job which has 2 or 3 classes that you did not need for your first job, then it might make sense to level another character and also get the nice side benefit of a new race. Paladin, dragoon, and black mage would see all 8 classes leveled to 50 with only one of the classes shared between two (marauder).

There's also some logistics reasons that would make multiple characters advantageous for crafters. Right now, I believe you only get two retainers. Organization of items is, frankly, not good at the moment. So it could make sense to have one character which has blacksmithing, armorsmithing, and mining and holds mineral related materials while another character holds the bulk of materials for another group of crafting. If you need materials between characters then you just send a mog mail with the items you need to avoid over cluttering.

Additionally, since you only get two retainers there's an argument to be made for a second character just to get a third retainer. This would allow you to have a retainer linked to each of the major cities and shuffle around what you're selling to get the most favorable tax rate without actually needing to visit the cities to link your retainer to a new city.

Multiple characters is definitely for making various things simpler and more convenient.

--

Crafting used to have time limits, had to be fast about it (kinda).

I wish I could see my earrings, but my hairstyle covers them pretty well ):
    Elezen and miqo'te have an advantage since their ears always extend past their hair styles. It's also a bit easier for falafels as well due to their larger ears, though I believe they do often have hairstyles that would still cover it.

--

Can anyone confirm this ratio for me. I play a male miqo'te but as far as I can tell it feels like the vast majority of miqo'te players are female. I don't think a ratio of 20 females to 1 male is out of the question. I also don't see very many falafels.

--

Edit:

On an unrelated note, started crafting last night, think i might give it a miss in this game. While i like some of the mechanics, i just find it slow and boring. Especially after GW2 crafting.
    Get a crafting class to level 10. That unlocks quick synthesis which helps with mass producing a lot of materials. It's a terrible thing to use if you're trying to avoid waste or going for high quality items but it does things rather quickly.
    Last edited by Talderas; 2013-09-19 at 07:34 AM.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

If the tank isn't marking, just mark it for him.

--

Well, the main story does branch at two points. There's the initiate branches before they converge, where it's based off your starting city. Then you get the airship pass and shortly thereafter things merge. Then each grand company has its only main quest.

The other advantage to multiple characters is actually in leveling... as strange as that may sound. Once you exhaust quests then the only way you get lots of xp in short order is FATEs, leves, and dungeons. From what I've gathered, quests will be mostly exhausted by the time you start your 3rd class to 50.

So look at it this way. Each job only has three classes from which it can draw skills. Seeing as you will almost certainly have exhausted every quest by the 4th class you level there is an argument to be made that if you want a 2nd job which has 2 or 3 classes that you did not need for your first job, then it might make sense to level another character and also get the nice side benefit of a new race. Paladin, dragoon, and black mage would see all 8 classes leveled to 50 with only one of the classes shared between two (marauder).

There's also some logistics reasons that would make multiple characters advantageous for crafters. Right now, I believe you only get two retainers. Organization of items is, frankly, not good at the moment. So it could make sense to have one character which has blacksmithing, armorsmithing, and mining and holds mineral related materials while another character holds the bulk of materials for another group of crafting. If you need materials between characters then you just send a mog mail with the items you need to avoid over cluttering.

Additionally, since you only get two retainers there's an argument to be made for a second character just to get a third retainer. This would allow you to have a retainer linked to each of the major cities and shuffle around what you're selling to get the most favorable tax rate without actually needing to visit the cities to link your retainer to a new city.

Multiple characters is definitely for making various things simpler and more convenient.

--

Elezen and miqo'te have an advantage since their ears always extend past their hair styles. It's also a bit easier for falafels as well due to their larger ears, though I believe they do often have hairstyles that would still cover it.

--

Can anyone confirm this ratio for me. I play a male miqo'te but as far as I can tell it feels like the vast majority of miqo'te players are female. I don't think a ratio of 20 females to 1 male is out of the question. I also don't see very many falafels.

--

Edit:

Get a crafting class to level 10. That unlocks quick synthesis which helps with mass producing a lot of materials. It's a terrible thing to use if you're trying to avoid waste or going for high quality items but it does things rather quickly.
    On my server I'd say the ratio of cat people is about 45% male, 65% female and 50-50 for hobbits. I have yet to see a female player Roegadyn.

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #132

Cat people are always the most played, and in 1.0 you couldn't be a male miqo'te, so there were plenty of people playing catgirls. ARR comes around and while a good portion of them remade as male, as well as other races, like my husband who was a highlander in 1.0 and switched to miqo'te, there were still lots of people that just couldnt bring themselves to change to male.

Although, it's generally if you see any female character that is either miqo'te or highlander (particularly highlander) you can be sure it's really a male player.

Usually, not all the time, but usually lol.

Ruya avatar by me!
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

13. - Top - End - #133

NecromancerGuy

Cat people are always the most played, and in 1.0 you couldn't be a male miqo'te, so there were plenty of people playing catgirls. ARR comes around and while a good portion of them remade as male, as well as other races, like my husband who was a highlander in 1.0 and switched to miqo'te, there were still lots of people that just couldnt bring themselves to change to male.

Although, it's generally if you see any female character that is either miqo'te or highlander (particularly highlander) you can be sure it's really a male player.

Usually, not all the time, but usually lol.
    Highlander? I would have though it be midlanders. Also, Brynhildr is one of the post launch servers that was added so it doesn't have the legacy character issues. I've only seen handful of people with a class over 40 when I do searches and I've only ever seen 1 50 by virtual of his magitek mech mount.
    Last edited by Talderas; 2013-09-19 at 02:41 PM.

14. - Top - End - #134

Highlander? I would have though it be midlanders. Also, Brynhildr is one of the post launch servers that was added so it doesn't have the legacy character issues. I've only seen handful of people with a class over 40 when I do searches and I've only ever seen 1 50 by virtual of his magitek mech mount.
    Highlanders are much more, erm..voluptuous, than midlanders. Midlanders are pretty flat in comparison. Also, despite I play a midlander, they're pretty boring...there were weird and bad looking textures on all but one of the face choices, which is what everyone uses, so they all more or less look the same. Not to mention they all use the same hairstyles- I've only seen maybe 2 other people using the hairstyle I use.

Generally all the actual female characters played by real females I've met are lalafell, elezen, and midlander to a lesser extent
    Last edited by Sajiri; 2013-09-19 at 02:50 PM.

Ruya avatar by me!
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

15. - Top - End - #135

NecromancerGuy

Generally all the actual female characters played by real females I've met are lalafell, elezen, and midlander to a lesser extent
    Well, like I said, on Brynhildr it looks like most miqo'te are females which makes me glad I chose male gladiator. It's like a repeat of WoW.... where I played a male blood elf paladin when everyone went female. And I'm not sure why it matters whether the player is male or female.
    Last edited by Talderas; 2013-09-19 at 02:53 PM.

16. - Top - End - #136

Well, like I said, on Brynhildr it looks like most miqo'te are females which makes me glad I chose male gladiator. It's like a repeat of WoW.... where I played a male blood elf paladin when everyone went female. And I'm not sure why it matters whether the player is male or female.
    It doesnt really matter, so long as it doesnt turn out as a repeat of XI where there were a lot of 'girl' mithra standing around town advertising, erm, services, and working their way into endgame LS's, becoming the gf of the leaders, getting all they want then leave, then it turns out they werent a girl after all, leaders leave out of humiliation. I guess that's the problem when one race in particular has it's armour show as much more revealing than when any other race wears it. Or maybe I'm just still in a weird mood since I befriended someone ingame I was so sure was a girl, then it turned out not to be (he readily admitted it, so my fault for assuming, but still, shattered what I thought I knew)

I know that sort of thing happens in any game, and girls will do it too, it just seemed the worst in XI.

With that said though, I'm totally okay seeing more female miqo'te than male, since lore-wise the males are meant to be pretty rare. The race just gives birth to more female than males, while the males are supposed to be more solitary.

Edit: And now I feel bad, I will say I really don't have anything against what character someone chooses to play, I've played both male and female myself, so long as they're honest about it and dont try to deceive anyone.

I kind of have grudges against it all I guess, when I played FFXI I was in a small LS that focused heavily on lowmanning endgame, one member started hooking up with a mithra girlfriend I warned him not to get with, he did it anyway. She came into the LS, he was so aggressive about getting her gear to keep her happy, that I had to wait on the sidelines despite already being an established member because she chose to play dancer (my main class) for the pure reason that 'the gear looked sexy.' Took everything she could get, admitted she was actually a he, then left. That scenario repeated FOUR times, with that member bringing in girlfriends that weren't really girls, who used and left the LS, after I kept warning him not to, in the end he was so humiliated and defensive he actually blamed it on me saying that I was setting these people up to come after him <_>

Considering the races in XIV are basically the same as XI with different names, I'm always wary when I meet someone playing particular races...and now I think that makes me a game racist
    Last edited by Sajiri; 2013-09-19 at 03:16 PM.

Ruya avatar by me!
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

17. - Top - End - #137

NecromancerGuy

With that said though, I'm totally okay seeing more female miqo'te than male, since lore-wise the males are meant to be pretty rare. The race just gives birth to more female than males, while the males are supposed to be more solitary.
    They're rarer because the females have a higher mortality rate as anytime someone discusses physics a female miqo'te dies.

18. - Top - End - #138

the quest thing doesn't worry me so much.

I got my WHM to 50 and i only did the class quest and the main quest. I am just coming up on 30 for my BLM and i have not done anything aside from the class quest.

Apparently the next major patch is going to add repeatable quests.

Im not opposed to the idea of alts in the game, i just don't think i will bother.

On a side note, i started fishing last night which i had some fun with. Got up to level 16
    Aside from "have fun", i think the key to GMing is putting your players into situations where they need to make a choice that has no perfect outcome available. They will hate you for it, but they will be back at the table session after session.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

They're rarer because the females have a higher mortality rate as anytime someone discusses physics a female miqo'te dies.
    Rotlf!

But seriously people get into virtual relationships? Seriously?! . That's sad.

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #140

But seriously people get into virtual relationships? Seriously?! . That's sad.
    WoW had/has a better success rate then many match-making/dating websites.

Just saying.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

WoW had/has a better success rate then many match-making/dating websites.

Just saying.
    Is this real life relationships or purely virtual ones? If that's the case people who slay together lay together :P.

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #142

Is this real life relationships or purely virtual ones? If that's the case people who slay together lay together :P.
    Whats your definition of 'virtual relationship'? Cause that sounds like 'fake relationship.' I met my husband through a mmo, and I've made some amazing friends that way too.

Its only sad when people get into these relationships and are ready to throw everything at this person, giving away passwords, personal info, and making life plans, without so much as a phone call or webcam chat to be sure the person they're falling for is at least the same age/gender/hot person in photos they undoubtedly sent as what they claim.

Ruya avatar by me!
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

23. - Top - End - #143
    Orc in the Playground

Before this thread gets of topic too far, anyone have some good tips for a Gladiator level 21? Especially tips regarding the first few dungeons would be appreciated, because I still need to do these for the Main story questline.

A more general question, are there people here that play on the PS3? I know it is by far not optimal for an typical MMO, but I think SE did a fine job to stream line the UI for PS3 users, even if it takes some time prepare and to get used to it.
    Homebrew:
    The inFAMOUS Conduit base class. Wow I actually finished it...
    The Darksiders base class, based on the videogame with the same name.

I also draw some stuff here, Gamespectre on Deviantart

24. - Top - End - #144

Quote Originally Posted by RoyVG View Post
    Before this thread gets of topic too far, anyone have some good tips for a Gladiator level 21? Especially tips regarding the first few dungeons would be appreciated, because I still need to do these for the Main story questline.

A more general question, are there people here that play on the PS3? I know it is by far not optimal for an typical MMO, but I think SE did a fine job to stream line the UI for PS3 users, even if it takes some time prepare and to get used to it.
    I dont play PS3, but I do play with gamepad because I find it more comfortable than keyboard. I can say with certainty that the gamepad UI in this game works very well, just cycling through targets is a bit of a pain.

Ruya avatar by me!
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

25. - Top - End - #145

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RoyVG View Post
    Gladiator shifts drastically at level 26 with strike of halone. However, for instances before that point I would recommend the following.

1. Always use the mob markings to designate the attack order.
    2. Use a 1->2 attack with Fast Strike leading into the emnity generating strike unless you need MP. Use the fast strike in cyclical order against the target which isn't primary and use the 2nd strike against the primary target.
    3. Throw a periodic flash down to help build additional emnity on the 2nd/3rd targets.

--

The other reason why I hate the heavy iron armor and others like it which consume two gear slots.... it compares stats only against the item in the slot it replaces. So if the heavy iron armor has 90 defense, your current chest has 65 defense, and your helm has 35 defense, it will say the heavy iron armor is better because it's 90 against 65 and not 90 against 100.
    Last edited by Talderas; 2013-09-20 at 06:39 AM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

Whats your definition of 'virtual relationship'? Cause that sounds like 'fake relationship.' I met my husband through a mmo, and I've made some amazing friends that way too.

Its only sad when people get into these relationships and are ready to throw everything at this person, giving away passwords, personal info, and making life plans, without so much as a phone call or webcam chat to be sure the person they're falling for is at least the same age/gender/hot person in photos they undoubtedly sent as what they claim.
    I was mainly referring to your second paragraph, but I am skeptical about online dating in general. (and let's not derail the thread further with regard to that)

Am a level 39 Scholar now and am I correct in assuming that the main story line is coming to a close?

As for advise for the first few dungeons I am willing to help you in game if you are on Malboro.

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #147

I was mainly referring to your second paragraph, but I am skeptical about online dating in general. (and let's not derail the thread further with regard to that)

Am a level 39 Scholar now and am I correct in assuming that the main story line is coming to a close?

As for advise for the first few dungeons I am willing to help you in game if you are on Malboro.
    The main storyline goes right up to lvl 50, you'll have two (really cool) plot dungeons to do as soon as you hit 50 providing you keep up with your quests. My recommendation though, do your final job quest and get all your AF and a lvl 50 weapon (if you can) before attempting it, and don't let jerks try to force you to skip the cutscenes.

Ruya avatar by me!
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

28. - Top - End - #148

Been working on my Relic weapon most of the day, we're now up to Garuda HM.

I've beaten her before but since then we just have such horrible luck with groups. We had a group we formed for Hydra tonight, who all decided to carry on together to Ifrit, all went well, then we got to Garuda...it wasnt that the group was bad, but seemed every fight people started DCing. On our final attempt when everyone's lag seemed fixed, we made it past the 2nd stage (which always seems to be the worst), thought we were in the clear aaaand then my PC crashed =_=

Unfortunately being that I was one of the healers, wasnt really a situation they could just deal with like a missing DD. Going to try again tomorrow, but I doubt we're ready for Titan after that.

On the other hand, I got all my darklight accessories now and replaced my AF legs with an AK drop. Have to farm some more tomestones and buy some more darklight methinks.

Ruya avatar by me!
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

I just completed the dungeon before Garuda... gods that was intense. Even with level appropriate gear I was struggling to keep people alive... It didn't help that I kept getting hit by the AoE and getting paralyzed despite clearly moving out of the area (damn lag). Also I am eternally grateful to the summoner who helped me heal...

Well we did kill the dragon on the 5th go and we were all noobs to the dungeon so it was a happy ending at least...

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #150

Tried Garuda HM again tonight with 6 people from LS. Amazingly, despite half of them had never done it before, it was probably the best attempt I've had since I last beat it. We probably could have done it, but there was some confusion since our BLMs were new and didnt know when to LB. The the random monk we DF'd complained on our second attempt because of when we chose to LB...and would not stop complaining. Our third attempt we came very close to winning, but were thwarted by unfortunate timing on lag and tank went down. By then our newbies knew what to do, but people were tired and wanted sleep, so we're holding off til next week.

Ruya avatar by me!
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)