New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: FFXIV: A Realm Reborn

Dont buy gear (aside from maybe grand company gear), you get enough free from quest rewards/dungeons on your first character. If you dont need the gear from quest rewards, always take the allagan pieces and sell them to npcs.

Also if you're playing conjurer, I suggest lvling thaumaturge to 26 at some point for swift cast, though you dont need to do that immediately.

Edit: Someone found a japanese player on chocobo with blue bird and tender lamb minions which thus far nobody else has been able to find...Im glad to know they're in game but gah! How do I get that bird?! There was a rumor it was from Binding Coil but they guy doesnt seem geared well enough for that yet...unless he bought it I guess
    Last edited by Sajiri; 2013-10-01 at 03:34 PM.

3DS friend code: 0748-2783-1667
    Mii name: Sajiri

Ruya avatar by me!
    My Tumblr (more active than Deviantart these days)
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Take that you bloody Demon Wall!! Hurrah!

I am slowly accumulating Dark Light Gear... I haven't even dared try Titan yet. But now that I have a strategos chest I think I will upgrade my jewelry to darklight and give a go at the murder house that Titan is.
    Awesome FE sprites done by Penguinator

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Arcanist level 30 class quest.

Soooooo satisfying. I was grinning.

4. - Top - End - #184

Finally got into a group that beat titan..I had to, erm, lie my way in, they wanted people who had beaten him before but they seemed desperate for a sch so I got in. I was panicking so bad I'd get caught out, but the whm (the guy who formed the group) wiped us 3 times in a row right away. He wasn't bad, just some silly stuff happened, but we managed to laugh it off and win in the end. So tomorrow I have to do 3 more AK runs then I can afford my af+1 body, then just a couple CM/prae runs after that and I can get the last item for my relic weapon now Titan's down.

I also learnt I am capable of solo healing titan at least until post heart stage, providing I have a bard for ballad if I have to throw raises around.

I'm moving up in the world!
    Last edited by Sajiri; 2013-10-02 at 04:19 AM.

Ruya avatar by me!
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sajiri View Post
    Finally got into a group that beat titan..I had to, erm, lie my way in, they wanted people who had beaten him before but they seemed desperate for a sch so I got in. I was panicking so bad I'd get caught out, but the whm (the guy who formed the group) wiped us 3 times in a row right away. He wasn't bad, just some silly stuff happened, but we managed to laugh it off and win in the end. So tomorrow I have to do 3 more AK runs then I can afford my af+1 body, then just a couple CM/prae runs after that and I can get the last item for my relic weapon now Titan's down.

I also learnt I am capable of solo healing titan at least until post heart stage, providing I have a bard for ballad if I have to throw raises around.

I'm moving up in the world!
    Woo!

What was your gear set up when you did him? I am assuming that you were largely donned in darklight?

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #186

Quote Originally Posted by Rising Phoenix View Post
    Woo!

What was your gear set up when you did him? I am assuming that you were largely donned in darklight?
    Pretty much all DL, but AK body and head. Skill/positioning is way more important in titan than the gear though, you could do it with less gear than what I had (unless you're a tank..especially war tank..need to be pretty well decked out if so). So long as you have about 3.2k min HP to avoid getting one shot if you get unlucky and stand inside an aoe, you should be alright. Bringing some good food is a big help too.

Edit: all the gear I was wearing is on here http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodest...racter/104571/

at least for the next 24ish hours ^^;

Just did another AK run, thought I can squeeze one in before bed. Even chose 'join in progress'...we had 14 mins left on the clock before we finished, because the war tank in full AF kept wiping us, wouldnt listen to advice, then ragequit at the end when we said 'dont want to waste this run, we can get it done this time.' We were a random DF group..being supportive...and he quit on us. Thankfully we got a pld with relic +1 join then, 5 minutes later we were done finally
    Last edited by Sajiri; 2013-10-02 at 06:11 AM.

Ruya avatar by me!
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

Pretty much all DL, but AK body and head. Skill/positioning is way more important in titan than the gear though, you could do it with less gear than what I had (unless you're a tank..especially war tank..need to be pretty well decked out if so). So long as you have about 3.2k min HP to avoid getting one shot if you get unlucky and stand inside an aoe, you should be alright. Bringing some good food is a big help too.

Edit: all the gear I was wearing is on here http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodest...racter/104571/

at least for the next 24ish hours ^^;

Just did another AK run, thought I can squeeze one in before bed. Even chose 'join in progress'...we had 14 mins left on the clock before we finished, because the war tank in full AF kept wiping us, wouldnt listen to advice, then ragequit at the end when we said 'dont want to waste this run, we can get it done this time.' We were a random DF group..being supportive...and he quit on us. Thankfully we got a pld with relic +1 join then, 5 minutes later we were done finally
    So Strategos really is better than the robe. I have the chest piece I need to get the hood :/

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

Do attribute increases transfer between classes? If I'm increase my mind as a conjurer does it affect my archer? What about the white mage job or the scholar job?
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Had fun yesterday.

Me (Arcanist) and a friend (Bard) needed Haukke manor. Another friend logged on (Scholar), so we tagged her in. She wanted to know if there was room for her husband (Dragoon).

We decided to go for it.

Between Topaz Carbuncle, Bard kiting, Scholar healing, my backup healing (really only used it to help keep Carby up at times), Dragoon dps, my dps, Scholar dots, and Bard dps, it went more smoothly than my prior group had done in there.

Only one wipe, and that's mainly because I was silly and forgot about a couple of patrolling ghosts who jumped on us at the pull.

Topaz Carby is great for offtanking. Dps can pull off his threat easily, but he can generally hold one guy off the healer, 2 with micromanagement ("Ok, you have that one, now attack the other and hope the first doesn't come off").

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
    Do attribute increases transfer between classes? If I'm increase my mind as a conjurer does it affect my archer? What about the white mage job or the scholar job?
    For your first question no.

For your second question yes. For e.g. Scholar (and jobs in general) is basically an add on to Arcanist and they use the same stat pool. Likewise, any attribute increases on your conjurer will have no effect on your scholar.

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

I've been really frustrated by these mandatory dungeons as part of the story progression. Playing as a bard, I have to wait around an hour to even get a queue pop, if I'm lucky. So basically I spend an hour alt-tabbed until I get a pop and then pray I can finish the instance in time.

I did hit level 38 last night though, so that was cool. At my current pace, I'll probably hit 50 in two weeks or so.
    Last edited by Neftren; 2013-10-02 at 11:14 AM.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Neftren View Post
    I've been really frustrated by these mandatory dungeons as part of the story progression. Playing as a bard, I have to wait around an hour to even get a queue pop, if I'm lucky. So basically I spend an hour alt-tabbed until I get a pop and then pray I can finish the instance in time.

I did hit level 38 last night though, so that was cool. At my current pace, I'll probably hit 50 in two weeks or so.
    Ouch. For me, dps queues have generally been half an hour, and I've occasionally been able to snag a dps or healer guildie to vastly speed things up.

And hey, in 5 levels of Conjurer, I'll BE that healer guildie to help, cause Scholar will be unlocked.

13. - Top - End - #193

So Strategos really is better than the robe. I have the chest piece I need to get the hood :/
    Well, technically, darklight cowl is better than strategos, but nobody will complain if you dont have it. But af+1 body is better than darklight, for scholar at least, af+1 has 4 less mind than DL, but even with af/strategos head, it will be better than DL because DL doesnt let you have a hat. Heck, even strategos body + af+1 head is better (or on par with) DL body, I just felt it wasnt worth it to spend the tomes on DL body, at least for healer.

Ruya avatar by me!
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok I think that I am finally ready for Titan... After wiping 12 or so times to him I found a group via duty finder that made it through the heart phaze we all lived which meant that my healing and the white mages healing was adequate, however, our dps was inadequate. As such I am confident that if I find a good group I can do this!

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #195

NecromancerGuy

Got my Ifrit weapon after only a night of running it although I did do one Ifrit run Sunday night to test the waters. It was extremely satisfying since the party make up was PLD/PLD/DRG/DRG/DRG/BRD/WHM/WHM. Between having to role against the other PLD for the weapon and having three melee DPS with no BLM/SMN LB, I wasn't really expecting the group to kill Ifrit.
    Quote Originally Posted by JusticeZero View Post
    i'm not going to act like a complete idiot and cripple myself, either, just so that YOU can feel like you are awesomely powerful playing your crossbow barbarian or whatever.

16. - Top - End - #196

Ok I think that I am finally ready for Titan... After wiping 12 or so times to him I found a group via duty finder that made it through the heart phaze we all lived which meant that my healing and the white mages healing was adequate, however, our dps was inadequate. As such I am confident that if I find a good group I can do this!
    Really shouldn't do Titan through DF, you don't need two tanks, it's a wasted spot. Most groups replace the other tank with a dd, or sometimes a 3rd healer (whm and 2 sch's, the sch's use cleric stance and help with dps during heart)

Got my relic and af+1 body last night, so happy @_@ Now I just need to upgrade my headgear and a ring, and I think I'm set with scholar gear, since I dont want to farm AK for 6 months to buy ALL myth tome gear

Ruya avatar by me!
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

Really shouldn't do Titan through DF, you don't need two tanks, it's a wasted spot. Most groups replace the other tank with a dd, or sometimes a 3rd healer (whm and 2 sch's, the sch's use cleric stance and help with dps during heart)

Got my relic and af+1 body last night, so happy @_@ Now I just need to upgrade my headgear and a ring, and I think I'm set with scholar gear, since I dont want to farm AK for 6 months to buy ALL myth tome gear
    I now have a set up more or less identical to yours. We made it to the heart stage all members alive, but our dps was insuficient... le sigh. B

At least now I know that it is doable.

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #198

I now have a set up more or less identical to yours. We made it to the heart stage all members alive, but our dps was insuficient... le sigh. B

At least now I know that it is doable.
    I don't know if you are, but bring in at least 2 of monk and/or dragoon for LB. If one dies you've got another one to handle it. If you have issues with dps, try telling everyone to hold back and just build LB up at first, everyone just auto attacks and dodges landslide. Get 1/2-1 full bar before you start fighting titan for real, I think if you build 1 bar at first you can potentially get 3 bar LB for heart phase (if you hold out til time is nearly up, but you have to know when heart will be over).

If you're having dps issues on heart though, it will make the post heart phase even harder. His tumults start adding an extra stomp each one, so your healers really have to be on the ball for that. Make sure you get succor up and on everyone BEFORE tumults start to absorb a bit of damge, then start spamming succor/medica throughout it.

Ruya avatar by me!
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't know if you are, but bring in at least 2 of monk and/or dragoon for LB. If one dies you've got another one to handle it. If you have issues with dps, try telling everyone to hold back and just build LB up at first, everyone just auto attacks and dodges landslide. Get 1/2-1 full bar before you start fighting titan for real, I think if you build 1 bar at first you can potentially get 3 bar LB for heart phase (if you hold out til time is nearly up, but you have to know when heart will be over).

If you're having dps issues on heart though, it will make the post heart phase even harder. His tumults start adding an extra stomp each one, so your healers really have to be on the ball for that. Make sure you get succor up and on everyone BEFORE tumults start to absorb a bit of damge, then start spamming succor/medica throughout it.
    We did and the dragoon died in the process of activating...draining our gauge...*cries in the corner*.

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

So, I just got summoner and titan. I figured "let's see the new stuff!"

Is Titan-Egi just a reskin of topaz carbuncle? Same health, same abilities, can't see strength stats afaik, but is there a hidden bonus titan gets, or just appearance?

21. - Top - End - #201

Quote Originally Posted by huttj509 View Post
    So, I just got summoner and titan. I figured "let's see the new stuff!"

Is Titan-Egi just a reskin of topaz carbuncle? Same health, same abilities, can't see strength stats afaik, but is there a hidden bonus titan gets, or just appearance?
    I think the egi's have higher stats than carby, also some different abilities (probably to the same effect as carby's though)

Although, summoner's lvl 50 ability is what lets the egi use it's ultimate attack, which carby doesn't have, so there's that.

Ruya avatar by me!
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

My...My team beat Titan HM... And I survived ALL THE WAY TO THE END. I AM SO PLEASED with myself and my team. Especially considering we won after 7.5 hours of straight play...needless to say I friended all of them.

The team setup:

Blackmagex2. (~3300 hp)
    Bard x 1 (~3400 hp)
    White Mage x2- (3300 hp and 3800 (We got a good friend to help))
    Scholar x 1 (me- 3460 hp)- Selene fairy
    Monk x 1 (3800 hp)
    Paladinx 1 (5400 hp)

We failed so many times but on the one we did kill him in- the two black mages got killed and it basically became a heal race for 10 minutes and between Medicas, Succors, Sacred Soils and Mage Ballad we pulled it off. Selene's speed spell buff certainly helped in pulling an extra medica and succor in during the stomp phase. The paladin also used stoneskin and heal on himself and that extra minor buff saved him at least 3 times.

We managed to pull of two limit breaks against him a level 3... and a level 2... yeah it's crazy how much hp the guy has...

So my tips for titans are:

Get at least 3300 hp if your a healer, 3500 if your a dps and 5500 or 6000+ if you're a tank depending on your class. Two scholars alone cannot provide the amount of healing required, it's simply impossible, but two white mages can pull it off.

Run the damn thing 20 or so times on duty finder with randoms and let it get hard wired into you that avoiding>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>dps. And also learn his attack sequence.

Turn HUD off in graphics, it prevents lag.
    Change the camera to the other option so that you run with any button and so that it doesn't reposition behind you (omg that was so annoying until I figured out)

Watch videos on how to move. If you get targeted by an imprison run towards the titan as it makes it easier for melee dps to reach you and be ready to move as soon as you are free.

Once those basics are ingrained. Go to Mor Dhona and find a group. Be very polite but be sincere- if the group doesn't work say so, ask for things and be sure to respond to requests, use team speak or vent- it helps ****tons, have the tank macro call earth plumes, above all however be very patient. This boss requires not good, not excellent, but sublime team work. You will fail a lot and bad things happens like dcs... and lag hits... plume stacks with no where to run...

If you find a group with which you synergies well friend them and try again the next time they are online. That's how I got it done after five days of trying.

....Now I have to get 900 tomes for the damn relic weapon, but I am so happy that I don't have to do titan ever again...I shudder at the thought of how difficult Bahamut is going to be....
    Last edited by Rising Phoenix; 2013-10-06 at 04:59 AM.

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #203

Hey for any Australians out there looking to sub this game take a look at THIS article on Reddit.

Currently using the auto renew option with CC fees for foreign currencies the game may sting you as much as 20AUD a month. (based on the cost of 13€. From memory its like 12.99€ or something like that for a one month sub.)

Apparently the option suggested in the reddit thread will get that down to about 15AUD (which is still a bit high IMHO).

Anyway, i haven't done it myself, I am just not sure if i want to sub this game as yet but i figured it might help some of you out.
    Aside from "have fun", i think the key to GMing is putting your players into situations where they need to make a choice that has no perfect outcome available. They will hate you for it, but they will be back at the table session after session.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaun View Post
    Hey for any Australians out there looking to sub this game take a look at THIS article on Reddit.

Currently using the auto renew option with CC fees for foreign currencies the game may sting you as much as 20AUD a month. (based on the cost of 13€. From memory its like 12.99€ or something like that for a one month sub.)

Apparently the option suggested in the reddit thread will get that down to about 15AUD (which is still a bit high IMHO).

Anyway, i haven't done it myself, I am just not sure if i want to sub this game as yet but i figured it might help some of you out.
    Another option I've heard is to use Crysta, though I haven't tried that yet.

Edit: That worked.
    Last edited by Rising Phoenix; 2013-10-06 at 06:42 PM.

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #205

After getting my relic and new body I dont know what to do now. The game's still new and it takes time for the content to come out, I'm sure when it's been out for a while there will be more than enough to do, if it goes like XI did. But currently all I have left to do is cap my myth tomes each week, at least until I finish raising monk, but ugh I dont wanna go through buying all the darklight again @_@ (it's supposed to get cheaper in the future). I suppose I need to start getting into binding coil.

Currently Im just going into the instances nobody does now unless they need them, story primals, cape westwind etc, to help people out since I know its taking them a long time in the queue. Can't wait for Crystal Tower and housing though.

Ruya avatar by me!
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

26. - Top - End - #206

*snip*
    I was a bit the same, i hadn't really bothered with my relic as i wasn't loving my white mage, i had just moved on to leveling other jobs. When it came around to paying for the next month of subscription i decided i would let it laps. It was a combination between my fanning interest in the game and the high sub fee.

If the game has added some interesting stuff in a couple months and some of my mates are still playing i may give it another go. For the moment though i think im gona spend my time elsewhere.
    Aside from "have fun", i think the key to GMing is putting your players into situations where they need to make a choice that has no perfect outcome available. They will hate you for it, but they will be back at the table session after session.

27. - Top - End - #207

NecromancerGuy

After getting my relic and new body I dont know what to do now. The game's still new and it takes time for the content to come out, I'm sure when it's been out for a while there will be more than enough to do, if it goes like XI did. But currently all I have left to do is cap my myth tomes each week, at least until I finish raising monk, but ugh I dont wanna go through buying all the darklight again @_@ (it's supposed to get cheaper in the future). I suppose I need to start getting into binding coil.
    The nice thing about Darklight is that you can earn ToPs on any class to purchase the gear. If you're doing AK to cap out ToMs then you're getting 640 ToP.

I do feel for any DPS trying to queue into AK though, at least early in the week. As a tank I was getting to the front of the queue but I still had to wait about 14-18 minutes for the instance to get reserved.
    i'm not going to act like a complete idiot and cripple myself, either, just so that YOU can feel like you are awesomely powerful playing your crossbow barbarian or whatever.

28. - Top - End - #208

I'm annoyed at the mindset some people are getting. A guy in my FC decided to queue alone in DF for the first time the other day (We usually take him with us) and got ranted out of multiple groups. He was on blm with 2? pieces of DL gear and a couple AK accessories (I think), the rest was AF. In AK people told him he was undergeared and made him leave. Okay, that's AK, we've done it with him in worse gear but I can sort of understand that. Then he decided to do CM alone, in a DF group, and people told him he was undergeared for THAT, he needed full DL and a relic. The tanks dropped, immediately everyone else dropped, because he wasnt in full DL and relic in the dungeon that fresh 50s are supposed to do to unlock the rest of endgame to get geared. Sigh.

Ruya avatar by me!
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

29. - Top - End - #209

NecromancerGuy

I'm annoyed at the mindset some people are getting. A guy in my FC decided to queue alone in DF for the first time the other day (We usually take him with us) and got ranted out of multiple groups. He was on blm with 2? pieces of DL gear and a couple AK accessories (I think), the rest was AF. In AK people told him he was undergeared and made him leave. Okay, that's AK, we've done it with him in worse gear but I can sort of understand that. Then he decided to do CM alone, in a DF group, and people told him he was undergeared for THAT, he needed full DL and a relic. The tanks dropped, immediately everyone else dropped, because he wasnt in full DL and relic in the dungeon that fresh 50s are supposed to do to unlock the rest of endgame to get geared. Sigh.
    People demand iLv70 gear for people running a dungeon that drops iLv60 gear. They're pissy that Square killed off the speed run method for AK and so only want people who can kill stuff fast. Since I was queuing as a tank when DPS jumped into AK saying they wanted a speed run, I told them nope. Feel free to drop and enjoy the queue times.

I'm actually more frustrated by idiot DPS. Final boss of AK. I pull and immediately run to the corner. All the frontload threat I push out is enough to keep the healer safe from an incidental healing that might be needed until the mob is positioned (seriously, positioning mobs is a PITA with how many stationary attacks they have). What does the bard do? Open up immediately then bitches about threat.

Seriously, I can count on one hand the number of competent bards I've seen that haven't managed to annoy me.
    Last edited by Talderas; 2013-10-08 at 03:11 PM.

30. - Top - End - #210

Quote Originally Posted by Talderas View Post
    People demand iLv70 gear for people running a dungeon that drops iLv60 gear. They're pissy that Square killed off the speed run method for AK and so only want people who can kill stuff fast. Since I was queuing as a tank when DPS jumped into AK saying they wanted a speed run, I told them nope. Feel free to drop and enjoy the queue times.

I'm actually more frustrated by idiot DPS. Final boss of AK. I pull and immediately run to the corner. All the frontload threat I push out is enough to keep the healer safe from an incidental healing that might be needed until the mob is positioned (seriously, positioning mobs is a PITA with how many stationary attacks they have). What does the bard do? Open up immediately then bitches about threat.

Seriously, I can count on one hand the number of competent bards I've seen that haven't managed to annoy me.
    It's funny all these people who stand in mor dhona shouting for relics only, full darklight gear at least, etc for speedruns because they want to kill that bit quicker, when if they just took the first people that wanted in they could have finished 1-2 runs already by the time they assembled a full DL/Relic group

Ruya avatar by me!
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)