New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: FFXIV: A Realm Reborn

Quote Originally Posted by Sajiri View Post
    It's funny all these people who stand in mor dhona shouting for relics only, full darklight gear at least, etc for speedruns because they want to kill that bit quicker, when if they just took the first people that wanted in they could have finished 1-2 runs already by the time they assembled a full DL/Relic group
    Joining the DF for a speed run doesn't make sense. Waiting for full darklight to do a speed run by assembling the group in Mor Dhana does make sense. Those individuals probably aren't interested in doing a single AK run. They're probably looking to chain 3 or more in quick succession so sitting around and waiting means overall lower time invested.
    Quote Originally Posted by JusticeZero View Post
    i'm not going to act like a complete idiot and cripple myself, either, just so that YOU can feel like you are awesomely powerful playing your crossbow barbarian or whatever.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Barbarian in the Playground

My biggest issue with end game groups (and this applies to a lot of games, not just FFXIV) is this infamous shout:

"Experienced Only"

Now I understand that dealing with people unfamiliar with a run or a game is frustrating at times.

You know what's more frustrating? Being that newbie with no one willing to teach you or help you. In turn, this means there are less people able to help out for these end game contents. An end game run, which is designed to farm items, so that people can then do more end game runs, easier.

*face desk*
    Final Fantasy XIV Dragoon custom avatar made by Iruka. Thanks Iruka.

3. - Top - End - #213

Quote Originally Posted by Razgriez View Post
    My biggest issue with end game groups (and this applies to a lot of games, not just FFXIV) is this infamous shout:

"Experienced Only"

Now I understand that dealing with people unfamiliar with a run or a game is frustrating at times.

You know what's more frustrating? Being that newbie with no one willing to teach you or help you. In turn, this means there are less people able to help out for these end game contents. An end game run, which is designed to farm items, so that people can then do more end game runs, easier.

*face desk*
    Thats why I specifically made my FC/LS to have a focus on getting people the experience and gear so they can get into endgame, rather than just taking the people that are already there (and really, relics and darklight don't mean they have experience. You can go into castrum and afk the whole fight to get your philo to buy DL, then buy the HM primal wins for relic, unfortunately).

The recruitment message says 'You're allowed to watch cutscenes' lol

3DS friend code: 0748-2783-1667
    Mii name: Sajiri

Ruya avatar by me!
    My Tumblr (more active than Deviantart these days)
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

4. - Top - End - #214

Awesome Sajiri

I remember the first time I ran Castrum, I used DF, and apparently was in a Speed run group. So half the time I was playing catch up because I had been watching the CS's.

And the final boss for that was... rather disappointing. No not because of difficulty, but because my self and 2 others were left behind outside the Sealed area, while everyone else went charging in, despite all of us shouting "DON'T GO IN YET!" They didn't listen, so we got to watch 5 party members fight against a boss, who you just want to beat on because of what they did in the story earlier.

Thank fully, for the Main Story's final dungeon (If you haven't done yet, GET TO IT AND RUN IT!!! It is one of the most enjoyable instances in the game right now with EPIC MUSIC OF HEROES playing through out) I did get a group led by a party leader who insisted "Let everyone watch the CS's, they've earned it". Aside from everyone in that run doing their jobs, and being friendly (and also because I got to have a B.D.Hero moment by being the one to pull off a last second Blade Dance Limit break right before a certain boss activated his "game over" instant death spell, killing the boss), it was easily some of the most fun I ever had thus far

I only regret that it was a DF group, and thus, I couldn't add half the people from the group as friends due to being on different servers.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

Awesome Sajiri

I remember the first time I ran Castrum, I used DF, and apparently was in a Speed run group. So half the time I was playing catch up because I had been watching the CS's.

And the final boss for that was... rather disappointing. No not because of difficulty, but because my self and 2 others were left behind outside the Sealed area, while everyone else went charging in, despite all of us shouting "DON'T GO IN YET!" They didn't listen, so we got to watch 5 party members fight against a boss, who you just want to beat on because of what they did in the story earlier.

Thank fully, for the Main Story's final dungeon (If you haven't done yet, GET TO IT AND RUN IT!!! It is one of the most enjoyable instances in the game right now with EPIC MUSIC OF HEROES playing through out) I did get a group led by a party leader who insisted "Let everyone watch the CS's, they've earned it". Aside from everyone in that run doing their jobs, and being friendly (and also because I got to have a B.D.Hero moment by being the one to pull off a last second Blade Dance Limit break right before a certain boss activated his "game over" instant death spell, killing the boss), it was easily some of the most fun I ever had thus far

I only regret that it was a DF group, and thus, I couldn't add half the people from the group as friends due to being on different servers.
    I was in a similar situation for the final dungeon, but I simply ignored everyone :).

Also remember that you can view cut scenes at the adventurers guild apparently.

That said. Welcome to the endgame and good luck with Titan hm.
    Awesome FE sprites done by Penguinator

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #216

I have yet to see the entirety of the cutscene right before the final fight in praetorium. I only do it when Im helping people for their story, and since I know they're going to watch cs's I decide to watch too, cause they are pretty awesome.

Every single time I've done it, a dd has gotten impatient and pulled final boss. I made it very clear throughout the dungeon, anyone pull before people are done watching, we arent healing/tanking for whoever did it. But thanks to all the voicing and text bubbles coming up during that last fight, they show over the cs and it ruins it =_= so I just cancel and help. I know I can watch it in the inn, I just never get around to it.

Ruya avatar by me!
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

7. - Top - End - #217

Hopefully you see it Sajiri. Its worth watching (especially for Legacy players who played the original Path of the Twelve story line)

Anyways, I'd like to take this moment, to begin the first, in what I hope to be a string of advice post to correct common mistakes I see in game.

INTRODUCING(Now with corrections!):

Spoiler: Yer Doin' it WRONG!!! ''\''(>_<)''/'' Vol.1: Lv 1 to 35 Class and Job Mistake corrections. Version2.0 A Guide Reborn
    Show
    1. CNJs/WHMs: Don't Spam Medica as your go to Healing spell. I see this mistake often in the late 'teens, early 20 Dungeons. It may seem like a good idea, but it's not. Medica is best used when you need to heal the entire party right after a boss monster's AoE, or to make sure everyone's topped up to get ready for the impact of a Primal's Signature Attack. INSTEAD: Keep your main target the Party Tank, and use Cure I and II. It's more MP efficient, and you'll keep your hate gain down.

2. Speaking of which: Don't heal someone who's above 90% HP.95% except to prepare for a Primal's Limit Break, or versus large group fights This ties into the mistake of wasting MP/Overgaining Enmity with Medica. If you've been investing your attribute points into Mind, you have no reason short of a really powerful attack from a boss level enemy to be healing a party member who's above 95% in battle. The Tanks have the HP/Defense to take the hits, and the DPS often have ways of moderate healing, such as Second Wind, and Life Surge.Additional: As you get into higher levels it becomes more imperative to try and keep the party as healed to full as possible.

3. BARDS: Keep the noise down when the Mages' MP is above 75-80%. Mages Ballad is a nice ability to have in the party. It makes mages (well, except arguably the THM/BLM, since Umbral Ice recharges it quickly, and burn through MP quickly when in Astra Fire stance) life easier. However, activating Mage's Ballad too early will burn out your own MP when it might be critical in the later stages of a fight, and it'll reduce your Damage output when your party might be better suited to reducing the foe(s) HP down as fast as possible.

4. DoTs Stack, even multiples of it. Some players, for reasons unknown, seem to not apply a DoT if someone else has applied that same DoT. Unless you are gaining too much enmity from the tank, or doing something vital, you should ALWAYS try to keep any DoTs you have on your action bar active on the current primary target. More DoTs, the quicker foes die.

5. Mark Kill order! Unless you're with a group of veterans who knows your play style, use the Target Marking tool to designate kill orders. This let's the party know what to target. Though in boss fights with adds... don't bother with it, and just let the DPS kill the adds

6. Use AoE attacks sparingly and cautiously. Similar to the Medica issue, AoE attacks are great way to get in trouble as a DPS or Tank. At best, you'll be out of TP/MP from abusing it. At worst, you'll be messing up the kill order, tank's enmity hold, or the Sleep/Repose/Bind that others may have cast on adds or the secondary targets in an enemy mob, causing a party wipe. The best time to use AoE's are when a boss summons multiple, weak, adds, (I.E. Garuda's feather plumes) or trash mobs. If you're on a Physical DPS class/job, consider using the Lancer's "Invigorate" ability as a Cross Class skill.

7. Tanks: Learn Flash, and make it easy to use on your action bars. Both the Gladiator/Paladin, and the Marauder/Warrior benefit a lot from this spell. Cross Classed on MRD/WAR, it's a great TP saving alternative to Overpower, and can help save time from having to reposition as much to get all the mobs in Overpower's Cone AoE. On GLA/PLD, it's additional Inflict Blind trait will make your Healers happy at the reduced cure burden. To maximize this effect, try to only use Flash, when the blind effect is about to run out. Once the mobs resistance builds, use it when you need to keep the secondary targets attention on you.

8. If you aren't the tank, don't be leading the group in dungeons while exploring. Additionally, tanks, try to lead off the charge by pulling the mobs with your Throw provokes. It's a good early establishment of enmity, and will draw the mobs within range of your Flash/Overpower.

9. Arcanist: Don't always presume tanks want Topaz Carby (or SCH's Titan-Egi) Try to ask first. If your party is decent at enmity control, it may be a better choice to use your DPS summons. If you ARE using Tank summons, and no one's on Sleep duties, send your summon to attack secondary targets to get some heat off the Tank. That said, ALWAYS call Topaz/Titan if things start going really bad (I.E. Healer/Tank/both are down)

10. YES! You should push the Big Shiny Red Button labelled "Limit Break".... if you're a DPS with 2 or more bars filled, or healer/archer when the party is at/below 50% after a nasty attack. In most low level dungeons, the Physical Melee DPS Limit Breaks are typically the best option in final boss fights. If there is no Melee DPS, the Magic DPS classes AoE's are a sufficient back up (And even better choice in final boss battles that feature a lot of adds, READ: Haukke Manor). As an emergency back up, Archers and Healers should be ready to use the Healing Limit Breaks if the party as a whole got knocked down into critical status, but this should be more of a last resort option. Unfortunately for Tanks, the Defender Limit Breaks aren't as useful, as in most cases, the short duration party damage reduction isn't that vital if everyone else is dodging the AoEs and watching their Enmity gain. Besides, you have Rampart and Foresight to aid you.

Additional: It becomes vital for later fights to know when to trigger Limit Break and which ones. If you're fighting say: Ifrit or Titan, it's vital to save the LB for a DPS (Typically a Mage DPS for Ifrit, and Melee DPS for titan) their "Charge up" phase. If you're facing a boss that has a "Rage" mode near the end, you'll need to decide whether you want to burn it down fast, or save the LB for a last ditch healer LB rescue
    Last edited by Razgriez; 2014-01-03 at 11:06 AM.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

Hopefully you see it Sajiri. Its worth watching (especially for Legacy players who played the original Path of the Twelve story line)

Anyways, I'd like to take this moment, to begin the first, in what I hope to be a string of advice post to correct common mistakes I see in game.

INTRODUCING:

Spoiler: Yer Doin' it WRONG!!! ''\''(>_<)''/'' Vol.1: Lv 1 to 35 Class and Job Mistake corrections
    Show
    1. CNJs/WHMs: Don't Spam Medica as your go to Healing spell. I see this mistake often in the late 'teens, early 20 Dungeons. It may seem like a good idea, but it's not. Medica is best used when you need to heal the entire party right after a boss monster's AoE, or to make sure everyone's topped up to get ready for the impact of a Primal's Signature Attack. INSTEAD: Keep your main target the Party Tank, and use Cure I and II. It's more MP efficient, and you'll keep your hate gain down.

2. Speaking of which: DON'T HEAL SOMEONE WHO'S ABOVE 90% HP. This ties into the mistake of wasting MP/Overgaining Enmity with Medica. If you've been investing your attribute points into Mind, you have no reason short of a really powerful attack from a boss level enemy to be healing a party member who's above 90% in battle. The Tanks have the HP/Defense to take the hits, and the DPS often have ways of moderate healing, such as Second Wind, and Life Surge.

3. BARDS: Keep the noise down when the Mages' MP is above 75-80%. Mages Ballad is a nice ability to have in the party. It makes mages (well, except arguably the THM/BLM, since Astral Fire prevents MP regen, and Umbral Ice recharges it quickly) life easier. However, activating Mage's Ballad too early will burn out your own MP when it might be critical in the later stages of a fight, and it'll reduce your Damage output when your party might be better suited to reducing the foe(s) HP down as fast as possible.

4. DoTs Stack, even multiples of it. Some players, for reasons unknown, seem to not apply a DoT if someone else has applied that same DoT. Unless you are gaining too much enmity from the tank, or doing something vital, you should ALWAYS try to keep any DoTs you have on your action bar active on the current primary target. More DoTs, the quicker foes die.

5. Mark Kill order! Unless you're with a group of veterans who knows your play style, use the Target Marking tool to designate kill orders. This let's the party know what to target. Though in boss fights with adds... don't bother with it, and just let the DPS kill the adds

6. Use AoE attacks sparingly and cautiously. Similar to the Medica issue, AoE attacks are great way to get in trouble as a DPS or Tank. At best, you'll be out of TP/MP from abusing it. At worst, you'll be messing up the kill order, tank's enmity hold, or the Sleep/Repose/Bind that others may have cast on adds or the secondary targets in an enemy mob, causing a party wipe. The best time to use AoE's are when a boss summons multiple, weak, adds, (I.E. Garuda's feather plumes). If you're on a Physical DPS class/job, consider using the Lancer's "Invigorate" ability as a Cross Class skill.

7. Tanks: Learn Flash, and make it easy to use on your action bars. Both the Gladiator/Paladin, and the Marauder/Warrior benefit a lot from this spell. Cross Classed on MRD/WAR, it's a great TP saving alternative to Overpower, and can help save time from having to reposition as much to get all the mobs in Overpower's Cone AoE. On GLA/PLD, it's additional Inflict Blind trait will make your Healers happy at the reduced cure burden. To maximize this effect, try to only use Flash, when the blind effect is about to run out. Once the mobs resistance builds, use it when you need to keep the secondary targets attention on you.

8. If you aren't the tank, don't be leading the group in dungeons while exploring. Additionally, tanks, try to lead off the charge by pulling the mobs with your Throw provokes. It's a good early establishment of enmity, and will draw the mobs within range of your Flash/Overpower.

9. Arcanist: Don't always presume tanks want Topaz Carby (or SCH's Titan-Egi) Try to ask first. If your party is decent at enmity control, it may be a better choice to use your DPS summons. If you ARE using Tank summons, and no one's on Sleep duties, send your summon to attack secondary targets to get some heat off the Tank. That said, ALWAYS call Topaz/Titan if things start going really bad (I.E. Healer/Tank/both are down)

10. YES! You should push the Big Shiny Red Button labelled "Limit Break".... if you're a DPS with 2 or more bars filled, or healer/archer when the party is at/below 50% after a nasty attack. In most low level dungeons, the Physical Melee DPS Limit Breaks are typically the best option in final boss fights. If there is no Melee DPS, the Magic DPS classes AoE's are a sufficient back up (And even better choice in final boss battles that feature a lot of adds, READ: Haukke Manor). As an emergency back up, Archers and Healers should be ready to use the Healing Limit Breaks if the party as a whole got knocked down into critical status, but this should be more of a last resort option. Unfortunately for Tanks, the Defender Limit Breaks aren't as useful, as in most cases, the short duration party damage reduction isn't that vital if everyone else is dodging the AoEs and watching their Enmity gain. Besides, you have Rampart and Foresight to aid you.
    I agree with this for the most part. Except for the "don't heal someone on 90% health). At end game difficulties it is pretty essential to keep everyone at 100% hp. Especially the tank and yourself. If either the tank or you fall- it's gg. If a dps falls it's not that bad.

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Razgriez: Regarding #4, I can think of one reason I've fallen prey to to not keep dots up. Not realizing the icon you see up there isn't yours.

In the heat of combat, distinguishing white numbers from green numbers can easily be missed, especially if you didn't realize the scholar had some downtime and tossed some dots up on the boss.

I really wish the UI sorted your debuffs better, especially in big fategroups.

10. - Top - End - #220

INTRODUCING:

Spoiler: Yer Doin' it WRONG!!! ''\''(>_<)''/'' Vol.1: Lv 1 to 35 Class and Job Mistake corrections
    Show

2. Speaking of which: DON'T HEAL SOMEONE WHO'S ABOVE 90% HP. This ties into the mistake of wasting MP/Overgaining Enmity with Medica. If you've been investing your attribute points into Mind, you have no reason short of a really powerful attack from a boss level enemy to be healing a party member who's above 90% in battle. The Tanks have the HP/Defense to take the hits, and the DPS often have ways of moderate healing, such as Second Wind, and Life Surge.

3. BARDS: Keep the noise down when the Mages' MP is above 75-80%. Mages Ballad is a nice ability to have in the party. It makes mages (well, except arguably the THM/BLM, since Astral Fire prevents MP regen, and Umbral Ice recharges it quickly) life easier. However, activating Mage's Ballad too early will burn out your own MP when it might be critical in the later stages of a fight, and it'll reduce your Damage output when your party might be better suited to reducing the foe(s) HP down as fast as possible.

6. Use AoE attacks sparingly and cautiously. Similar to the Medica issue, AoE attacks are great way to get in trouble as a DPS or Tank. At best, you'll be out of TP/MP from abusing it. At worst, you'll be messing up the kill order, tank's enmity hold, or the Sleep/Repose/Bind that others may have cast on adds or the secondary targets in an enemy mob, causing a party wipe. The best time to use AoE's are when a boss summons multiple, weak, adds, (I.E. Garuda's feather plumes). If you're on a Physical DPS class/job, consider using the Lancer's "Invigorate" ability as a Cross Class skill.

I agree with most of these, with some exceptions.

2. Depending what you're doing, you might want to keep everyone at 100% as best you can. If something hits hard, even if they're over 90%, you can start casting cure and have it go off right after they've taken a hit. Although, I think it's better if you have the time/mp to spare, throw stoneskin (or adloquium if sch) up when they're mostly full hp, gives you time to not worry about them.

3. Unfortunately most bards dont even bother with their songs, but they should always use requiem, most dont seem to realise that skill doesnt come with the personal damage debuff

9. ACNs and SMNs should NEVER use tank summons in a group, unless instructed otherwise. They're great for solo, and if your tank goes down it can help, but overall they're too uncontrollable compared to a player. It's just like any other dd trying to solo adds- its better for everyone to focus the same mob down, to reduce number of adds quicker, and make it easier for the healer.

10. Dont be trigger happy with the DD limit break. A lot of fights have specific points you should use it. Some phases need to be brought down right away, such as nails in Ifrit, or heart in Titan, others have points where it gets better use, like Toto-rak when the boss's tail is broken and it takes increased damage

Ruya avatar by me!
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

3. Unfortunately most bards dont even bother with their songs, but they should always use requiem, most dont seem to realise that skill doesnt come with the personal damage debuff
    Foe Requiem really burns mana, so it's not very good right now, except at the start, and at the end of a fight.

(I'm not level 50 yet though)

12. - Top - End - #222

Quote Originally Posted by Neftren View Post
    Foe Requiem really burns mana, so it's not very good right now, except at the start, and at the end of a fight.

At lvl 50. If you have multiple bards (most groups seem to) it helps to make a rotation on who goes when

Ruya avatar by me!
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

13. - Top - End - #223

Quote Originally Posted by Rising Phoenix View Post
    I agree with this for the most part. Except for the "don't heal someone on 90% health). At end game difficulties it is pretty essential to keep everyone at 100% hp. Especially the tank and yourself. If either the tank or you fall- it's gg. If a dps falls it's not that bad.
    Noted,agreed, and will be corrected (or mentioned in a latter high level advice guide) though in my defense, I was aiming this towards low level dungeons (Where being at 100% isn't as critical, except versus boss monsters

Quote Originally Posted by huttj509 View Post
    Razgriez: Regarding #4, I can think of one reason I've fallen prey to to not keep dots up. Not realizing the icon you see up there isn't yours.

In the heat of combat, distinguishing white numbers from green numbers can easily be missed, especially if you didn't realize the scholar had some downtime and tossed some dots up on the boss.

I really wish the UI sorted your debuffs better, especially in big fategroups.
    Agreed. That advice was not aimed at those who make that mistake (we've all done it). It was more aimed at those who just don't apply them ever, or those who figure that two of the same DoTs (and certain debuffs) from two different players don't stack

I agree with most of these, with some exceptions.

2. Depending what you're doing, you might want to keep everyone at 100% as best you can. If something hits hard, even if they're over 90%, you can start casting cure and have it go off right after they've taken a hit. Although, I think it's better if you have the time/mp to spare, throw stoneskin (or adloquium if sch) up when they're mostly full hp, gives you time to not worry about them.
    See first answer. I should've made that advice more clear in hindsight. Unfortunately several real life issues have kept me busy lately

3. (Razgriez: I'll answer this one below)

9. ACNs and SMNs should NEVER use tank summons in a group, unless instructed otherwise. They're great for solo, and if your tank goes down it can help, but overall they're too uncontrollable compared to a player. It's just like any other dd trying to solo adds- its better for everyone to focus the same mob down, to reduce number of adds quicker, and make it easier for the healer.
    Partly agree with this counter point. Overall in most parties, DD summons are better. However, there are certain advantages to having tank pets do some off tanking in 4 member parties, so long as everyone's on the same page. (Otherwise you have Tanks freaking out at why they're losing hate). Though you are correct, in most cases, DPS pets are the better choice for ACN/SMN

10. Dont be trigger happy with the DD limit break. A lot of fights have specific points you should use it. Some phases need to be brought down right away, such as nails in Ifrit, or heart in Titan, others have points where it gets better use, like Toto-rak when the boss's tail is broken and it takes increased damage
    True, though in the "Easy mode" forms, this isn't as critical. I'll update this in the future. Now then, back to three.

Quote Originally Posted by Neftren View Post
    In truth, Foe Requiem is probably the worst of the three Bard songs. As Neftren mentions, it' eats up a Bards MP very fast (In theory, you can keep Mage's Ballad running between fights as the base refresh rate out of battle for most Bards is faster than it's usage. Foe Requiem however, WILL drain your MP if you don't manage when you have it on and off.) It's very limited (only affects Elemental damage inflicted, compare that to a much more generally useful MP refresh, or TP refresh). And finally, really, the 20% isn't too bad, if you set up your Cross class with a few additional Damage buff abilities (I.E. Blood for Blood, Internal Release), on top of your Eagle Eye and Raging Strikes

At lvl 50. If you have multiple bards (most groups seem to) it helps to make a rotation on who goes when
    Ok there is this that fixes the MP issue. Still, unless you have sufficient SMNs, or THM/BLMs, you're better off still with Army's Paeon and Mage's Ballad
    Last edited by Razgriez; 2013-10-16 at 03:55 PM.

14. - Top - End - #224

So the hotfix game some new stuff to smn/sch/acn..kind of

Can now control pets while casting your own spells. Yay!

Your dot's now always appear on the left of everyone else's, to make it easier to see your own when there's a mass of people on the same thing. Double yay!

Small fixes, but great ones.

Ruya avatar by me!
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

15. - Top - End - #225

Definitely liking that Ongoing Status effect icon hot fix. Making my life much easier.

Time to read off some accomplishments: In one day I completed the following

-Earned Bard 40 and Army's Paeon unlocked
    -Completed my first runs of Wanderers Palace and AK fairly smoothly (For all the fear and disgust I've heard about Demon Wall, my party killed him in one go... though I still took the massive drop of death right at the end of the fight)
    -From those two, I got a number of DPS class related gear upgrades, notably for my DRG, MNK, and BLM
    -Completed Gae Bolg Relic quests of Chimera through Hydra, in one night. Onwards to Hard mode Primals!
    -Gained my first piece of DL armor (in conjunction of the DL accessory I already have) with a pair of DL Legs

Aside from the lack of sleep I've got, it was a good day overall

Now then... off to farm a couple thousand more Tomes!

16. - Top - End - #226

Definitely liking that Ongoing Status effect icon hot fix. Making my life much easier.

Time to read off some accomplishments: In one day I completed the following

-Earned Bard 40 and Army's Paeon unlocked
    -Completed my first runs of Wanderers Palace and AK fairly smoothly (For all the fear and disgust I've heard about Demon Wall, my party killed him in one go... though I still took the massive drop of death right at the end of the fight)
    -From those two, I got a number of DPS class related gear upgrades, notably for my DRG, MNK, and BLM
    -Completed Gae Bolg Relic quests of Chimera through Hydra, in one night. Onwards to Hard mode Primals!
    -Gained my first piece of DL armor (in conjunction of the DL accessory I already have) with a pair of DL Legs

Aside from the lack of sleep I've got, it was a good day overall

Now then... off to farm a couple thousand more Tomes!
    I haven't done AK yet since the fix, but apparently demon wall has been made a bit easier somehow, like he might be attacking slower.

It's not a difficult boss, it just relies on knowing his rotation. Usually when you first do him, it's a bit overwhelming to know where to stand with all the aoe going on and adds

Ruya avatar by me!
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

17. - Top - End - #227

NecromancerGuy

I haven't done AK yet since the fix, but apparently demon wall has been made a bit easier somehow, like he might be attacking slower.

It's not a difficult boss, it just relies on knowing his rotation. Usually when you first do him, it's a bit overwhelming to know where to stand with all the aoe going on and adds
    I'm not 100% sure of what they did to fix demon wall. I don't think it was a damage reduction. I still take about as much damage as I did before. My suspicion, which I can't verify because I never was in a group with such pitiful DPS before, is that demon wall will repel five times before you're stuck in the purple at the end rather than four times.

Since I refuse to try or pay a lv50 weaponsmither to make an aeolian scimitar and meld battle dancer to it in order to continue on my relic quest, I'm in process of raising my weaponsmither to 50. However I've decided to get mining/botony/fishing to lv50 before I do this due to the shared equipment for those three classes. I've briefly contemplated doing the same for DoH but I believe that to be too much of a delay in the goal. The increases experience rewards for DoL classes is very nice. While I'm not getting materials using leves to level mining and botony it's very fast leaving me with only the need to gather the materials required for the class quests. Fishing is stupidly easy to level. 75k xp to level and nearly with 1000-1500xp average for a NQ fish and 4000-6000xp average for a HQ fish. I might consider using leves for it as well since I understand you can turn in a leve up to 3 times for a single allowance and the reward for the level are dependent on NQ vs HQ fish.
    i'm not going to act like a complete idiot and cripple myself, either, just so that YOU can feel like you are awesomely powerful playing your crossbow barbarian or whatever.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Pixie in the Playground

Heyo fellow playgrounders. I just started playing this game last night after having watched a friend play this. I'm rocking a level 6-7 MAR on Hyperion. I'm hoping I can get into my friend's FC that he's said calls themselves "casual core" instead of hardcore. My buddy is playing a WHM so he said he'll party with me when I start rolling in those dungeons. I just need to remember not to get caught up in the Hunter's Log and FATEs like I have been.

19. - Top - End - #229

No, DO Get caught up in the Hunting logs, and the F.A.T.E.s They are both great sources of XP, and exploration. FATEs also provide a decent, quick source of income.

Another way to get some gear (I.E. Aetherial gear) Do Levequests.Occasionally, you'll see blue treasure chest which give Aetherial gear, while some Battle leve's give gear as a reward. Until you get to the mid 40 levels, Aetherial is roughly around the same power as named gear.

Anyways, made my first attempt at Hard Mode Titan this past weekend for Relic. And, failed. My party managed to get Titan's Health to just under 30%, but the AoE Spam started picking us off. There is a reason why Darklight gear is highly advised to be wearing for all armor slots possible for the fight. Not just for the fact that they often boost key Damage/Healing attributes, but also because it adds quite a lot of VIT for the HP pool needed to survive.
    Last edited by Razgriez; 2013-10-28 at 03:07 PM.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Pixie in the Playground

Thanks for the advice. I managed to get to level 9 but the issue I'm having now is I keep getting this Error R6025 whenever I try to go in the starting city. I don't know if this is something anyone else has gotten. I sent a bug report into SE and it looks like I'm not the only one getting it. Some of the posts I've seen make it sound like it's something SE is going to have to fix rather than an issue with my PC.

21. - Top - End - #231

NecromancerGuy

Got my relic last night. For those who aren't tanks... you have no idea how frustrating that fight is from a tank perspective. Of the three primals, only Garuda is a check for tanks but Titan is a dps/healer check. It's literally just a dumbass detector for tanks. There's nothing practical that a tank can do to help success for that fight. As long as the tank pops his cooldowns for mountain buster he's good. So I'm sitting there for all these agonizing Titan runs (some DF and some preassembled with only 1 tank) and I have to watch these dps and healers make the same mistakes over and over and not listen to how to avoid it.

I'm one of the best geared paladins on my server that isn't running Coil right now. That's good to know.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm somewhat interested in the game.. one thing I have been wanting to ask though; is there a free trial?
    I'd assume it's "re-release" means it's now free to play.. but I can't find any information on the subject for some reason.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ettin in the Playground

You have to buy the game, which comes with a month of play. You then have to pay a subscription fee.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ettin in the Playground

is there any bonus/free time for people who bought the first release?
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

25. - Top - End - #235

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    is there any bonus/free time for people who bought the first release?
    There is I think, unless it was just the first couple weeks were free period. If there's free time, it's not as long as new users, it's like 2 weeks free time I think.

Ruya avatar by me!
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

So...anyone doing coil? I got an allaga head peace for my scholar a few weeks back but since then...no luck...

Also Warriors are HORRIBLE tanks...

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #237

I wouldn't say Warriors are terrible, they are good, just that right now they tend to get stuck in the off tank role due to weaker stunning ability due to their stun having a longer cool down compared to PLD. If I recall correctly, Yoshi in a recent Producer's letter (the same one mentioning the changes to DRGs jumps, and trying to improve "up-time" for Melee DPS) made note that part of the dev team's data noted that WARs were burning their Defiance stacks almost as soon as they got enough for their ability/WSs, rather than stay in the full 5 "Infuriated" mode for the healing boost as being a possible issue.

Anyways, anyone want to start making Class/job guides? (For any Discipline of War, Magic, Hand, or land)? I'm going to be posting one eventually for DRG, and curious if anyone else would like to post guides for their favorite classes/jobs

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

I wouldn't say Warriors are terrible, they are good, just that right now they tend to get stuck in the off tank role due to weaker stunning ability due to their stun having a longer cool down compared to PLD. If I recall correctly, Yoshi in a recent Producer's letter (the same one mentioning the changes to DRGs jumps, and trying to improve "up-time" for Melee DPS) made note that part of the dev team's data noted that WARs were burning their Defiance stacks almost as soon as they got enough for their ability/WSs, rather than stay in the full 5 "Infuriated" mode for the healing boost as being a possible issue.

Anyways, anyone want to start making Class/job guides? (For any Discipline of War, Magic, Hand, or land)? I'm going to be posting one eventually for DRG, and curious if anyone else would like to post guides for their favorite classes/jobs
    Actually, stunning is generally the offtank role, as they don't have mitigation/threat to worry about as much and can focus on getting the stuns off without being animation/GCD locked.

Paladins have better aoe threat that includes mitigation (blind added to flash for paladins), more defensive cooldowns that reduce incoming damage, and better damage reduction in general.

Warriors have more health.

As an extreme example, if tank A took half as much damage as tank B, but B had twice as much health as A, A would be much easier to keep alive. The same holds true when it's more like 20% up/down.

Now, warriors can definitely tank plenty, but they could really use some tweaks/buffs in threat generation and mitigation. Whether this is best achieved by direct number modifications, or by tweaking abilities, I can't say. I play a SMN/SCH myself primarily, so don't know a lot of War/Pld details. I just have some friends in my FC who were discussing it (In the sense of "what are you doing that I'm not that makes me so much more squishy?")

My main SMN guide? "Don't keep using Bane when the tank's been shown to have issues holding the group dangit. #notintheface"

Man, going from my FC "well geared solid threat hold all the things" to general random tanks...I tank a lot with my face.

29. - Top - End - #239

Well, I made the early SCH guide, but I hadn't updated it or anything since honestly I haven't played in quite a while. Got distracted with other things and half the people I was playing with quit temporarily over titan drama.

I think just yesterday Yoshi spoke a lot about what was going to be done with warriors. I havent seen it myself, but my husband said he posted a few times on the forums about it.

Ruya avatar by me!
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

Prior to end game content they are fine.

However, in endgame content they are less preferred. E.g. caduceus can one shot them after two stacks of scales: even with stone skin and aldo!

Healing them is much harder than the Paladin and thus healers dislike them also.

That being said 2.1 is posed to make them a lot better if not better than Paladin...

In other news my team has bean titan HM in 7 mins and 39 secs!

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show