The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Favorite Vintage RPG

What is your favourite tabletop RPG from the early days of the hobby (1974-1989)?

My favorite is probably Basic D&D. It will never be my go-to RPG, but it does the "fantasy Vietnam" thing very well. The rules are pretty fast and tight for the era, and the grittiness of the system contrasts with the lighthearted tone in a way that is somehow very appealing.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Favorite Vintage RPG

I don't really have much that old. Vampire: The Masquerade is 1991, and while I do have AD&D1e books I've never ran or played a campaign.

While RuneQuest has been around since 1978, I'm just looking at it now and so that probably doesn't count either.
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

My favorite is either Basic D&D, it's what I got started on and I'll always have fond memories of, or 2e which I've only played rarely but introduced me to Planescape, Spelljammer, and Dark Sun, three settings I still love to this day (one of which is the only official setting I've really played).

Also isn't this in the wrong forum? Wouldn't you get more people in the Role-Playing forum instead of the Homebrew one, or are you specifically looking for the opinions of people who homebrew?
    Last edited by Zaydos; 2013-09-05 at 12:45 AM.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydos View Post
    My favorite is either Basic D&D, it's what I got started on and I'll always have fond memories of, or 2e which I've only played rarely but introduced me to Planescape, Spelljammer, and Dark Sun, three settings I still love to this day (one of which is the only official setting I've really played).

Also isn't this in the wrong forum? Wouldn't you get more people in the Role-Playing forum instead of the Homebrew one, or are you specifically looking for the opinions of people who homebrew?
    I accidentally posted this on the wrong thread.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

2e AD&D. I still play it regularly, and it's the first system I ever played. I also like that it better forces Role-Playing as the primary method of accomplishing goals, as opposed to mechanical abilities. My games and characters all try to recapture that feel to this day.

(Can we get a mod in here to move the thread to the proper location?)

My Homebrew:
    The Eldritch Stalker, Warlock/Rogue Gish PrC
    The Divergent Elementalist, an arcane casting PrC based on the Fire/Ice duality/opposition
    The Arcanist, a Metamagic Focused Arcane Base Class
    Paladin Fix
    Divine Crusader Fix (Abandoned)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Definitely World of Hârn respectively HârnMaster. I still find it astounding that in the 26 years since the first publication, Hârn has constantly remained one of the most detailed and most importantly most consistent of all RPG settings - and while the setting has been expanded and grown over the decades, I am not aware of any retcons to the original HârnWorld publication or other contradictions.
    An while 1st edition HârnMaster is not the greatest system, it does what it is supposed to do without being too esoteric or complicated.

When it comes to best rule systems, well, the first edition of Gurps was also published in 1986. There have been several reworks of he rules, but the question of the best set of rules is actually solved since then.