New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: SW Saga Edition Thread 2: The Sith Lords

I think that I have settled on what I want. Knack as a talent just seems too darn versatile to pass up. Although Personalized Modifications and Security Slicer was right behind. I don't know how important the ship's weapons things is because it SEEMS like I will be a dedicated engineer type, so I thought Skill Focus in Use Computer might end up being more important than heavy weapons. Especially with 8 Str.

Speaking of 8 str...is there a way to help out with carrying capacity in that regard? Macguyver was never lugging around a huge backpack, but this character might have to.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Spellblade View Post
    I think that I have settled on what I want. Knack as a talent just seems too darn versatile to pass up. Although Personalized Modifications and Security Slicer was right behind. I don't know how important the ship's weapons things is because it SEEMS like I will be a dedicated engineer type, so I thought Skill Focus in Use Computer might end up being more important than heavy weapons. Especially with 8 Str.

Speaking of 8 str...is there a way to help out with carrying capacity in that regard? Macguyver was never lugging around a huge backpack, but this character might have to.
    Utility belt is your best friend. Read what it has on it.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Stick tiny repulsorlift engines on all your stuff?
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Stick tiny repulsorlift engines on all your stuff?
    May be a bit out of our broke Firefly-esque free trader engineer. Utility belt is good, I'll look at that for sure.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Pixie in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

I ultimately decided on going Scout 1, Jedi 1, Soldier 3 for my first five levels.

25 pt build
    Str: 10
    Dex: 12
    Con: 10
    Int: 10
    Wis: 16
    Chr: 13

Skills: Use the Force, Pilot, Use Computer (background), Initiative, Perception, Mechanics

Feats: Scount feats (no shake it off), (L1)Force Sensitivity, (H) Force Training, (Jedi 1) WP: Lightsaber, (Soldier 1) AP: Light, (L3) Force Training, (Soldier 2) WP: Heavy

Talents: Evasion, Force DR 10 (I might replace this one), Armored Defense, Improved Armored Defense

By lvl 3 I'll be able fly, use ship weapons, swing a lazer sword, wear armor and throw big rocks at people. From there I'll just work on re-enforcing the theme with some more kinetic force talents and maybe some other ship related feats. Money is going to be the big strain on the character conept at first. I'll need to buy a lightsaber (probably long handled) and I want to get a set of advanced armor (read: stormtrooper armor stats). I don't know how hard it's going to be to scrounge up 12k credits by lvl 3.

I dropped the yang ti monk (sp) from the plan. Teleporting a ship around the galaxy would be cool, but I looked into the actual DC's and it would be DC 30 (with a force point, 40 otherwise) just to move a small transport. That's something that won't be feasable for some time. Tossing force lightning around would be cool too, but I can live without that.

I considered taking scoundrel rather than scout for my first level, the feats are better for this character, especially since I won't get shake it off, but the skills and HP were too pass up. Not to mention evasion. I'm also thinking about swapping the DR 10 talent with one that gives me more access to move object since that is probably going to be my main attack. I suppose I'll give it some more thought.

Oh, and I found the erratta. The original site I was looking at didn't mention the range 12. But I found the actual document.

Next up, a soldier backup character in case I need an alternative or I get splattered.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ahrimon View Post
    My advice would be to not get too hung up on prestige classes that match your character and instead focus on how you can mold your character with all of the classes available.
    Yeah, my experience is primarily with D&D 3.5, so I'm no stranger to dipping. Too bad part of me was hoping I wouldn't have to track down a copy of this...

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

My wife finally got some time to read the rules and will be DMing a SAGA campaign for us soon.

But she would've liked to have a small mini published adventure for characters that are level 1 so we can have a proper start in the system. (Also she is still unsure how to prepare encounters but we have the encounter 101 pdf from the internet).

The main problem is that most forums link to wotc and well they deleted everything from their pages about SAGA. As well as actually finding stuff that isn't in some weird .ASP format that runs on scripts that seem to only work for MacOS.

Any recommendations where we can look for something like this?
    (EDIT: The PC's will most likely be more dark sidey, Attributes will be rolled with 4d6b3 but in order)
    Last edited by Krazzman; 2013-09-19 at 03:50 AM.
    Have a nice Day,
    Krazzman

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

This should help you alot.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Pixie in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

There is a free adventure path still out there. Dawn of darkness I beleive. mI'm sure you can find it if you google it. I downloaded it the other day but I don't have the link handy.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vertharrad View Post
    This should help you alot.
    Thanks, will look it up when I'm home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahrimon View Post
    There is a free adventure path still out there. Dawn of darkness I beleive. mI'm sure you can find it if you google it. I downloaded it the other day but I don't have the link handy.
    I saw that one but afaik she wanted something short and introductionary. It's basically a testplay anyway due to Rolling stats in Order. Maybe she will spin something out of that or restart with a new campaign once we have some deeper grasp of the system.
    Have a nice Day,
    Krazzman

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Don't worry, Krazzman. It's harder to really screw up than you might think. The most important thing for the GM to do is find out what sort of fun the players want to have, and then provide it.

IE, if they want to blast stormtroopers, don't give them a four hour political intrigue.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

It is difficult to screw up SWSE, but if you're deliberately trying to do so then rolling stats - never mind in order - is a very good way to start. Especially for a Dark Side-y game where intraparty conflict is assumed by default.

Phil the Piratical Platypus avatar by Serpentine

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Krazzman View Post
    Thanks, will look it up when I'm home.

I saw that one but afaik she wanted something short and introductionary. It's basically a testplay anyway due to Rolling stats in Order. Maybe she will spin something out of that or restart with a new campaign once we have some deeper grasp of the system.
    Oh by the way Krazzman old WotC forum goers transferred over there when it was found out WotC was axing the SWSE forums.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Barbarian in the Playground

I am running a Dawn of Defiance game just now. It's a pretty good resource, especially since it will take the heroes all the way from 1st to 20th level, but there are bits that don't quite make sense or aren't as much fun as they could be. I would recommend reading through each chapter well before you start and thinking about how you could tweak it here and there. A simple example is that the encounter maps are pretty empty, and could use some extra terrain/cover. There is an old thread on WotC called "Enhancing DoD" which has some great ideas for how to make it better.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh by the way Krazzman old WotC forum goers transferred over there when it was found out WotC was axing the SWSE forums.
    I send my wife the link of one of them that has the errata in it and... well I suppose she will read it and look over it.
    Have a nice Day,
    Krazzman

16. - Top - End - #136
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

BAD NEWS EVERYONE! Looks like my ship's Engineer is not going to work for this campaign. The GM assures me that it will work for the next one, but not this one. So I am shelving her, and instead looking at something else.

I have learned that the game will be between levels 3-8. Thinking more about a "Gun Tank" type character that uses ballistic weaponry and goes straight Soldier. Indomitable, Tough as Nails, The Armor Tree, etc.

Things that I can see good for this build: Sport Hunter feet, to turn my slugthrower rifle into a 2d12 weapon. This makes Rapid Shot pretty darn good, doing 3d12 for a -2 to hit. Are there any other offensive feats I should be looking at for a Slugthrower rifle? Burst Fire is a possibility, but that -5 to hit would be too steep for this character, atleast at 3rd level.
    Last edited by Spellblade; 2013-09-22 at 09:41 PM.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Spellblade, get a shotgun and inform the galaxy that it is your boomstick. :)

Also, has anyone seen decent deckplans for a Doomtreader transport?

18. - Top - End - #138
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alejandro View Post

Have you looked through the links in this thread?

19. - Top - End - #139
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

There are shotguns? Also, I decided to just play the Moneybags character that gambles away everything.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

There are shotguns? Also, I decided to just play the Moneybags character that gambles away everything.
    There are indeed shotguns (in the galaxy at war book) but letting it count as a slugthrower rifle for the purposes of Sport Hunter would however be a houserule and as such should not assumed to de default (so remeber to ask your gm if you want to do it)

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Waar View Post
    There are indeed shotguns (in the galaxy at war book) but letting it count as a slugthrower rifle for the purposes of Sport Hunter would however be a houserule and as such should not assumed to de default (so remeber to ask your gm if you want to do it)
    Even if they don't, a shotgun is an excellent onboard-ship weapon, because the projectiles will not reach any velocity capable of doing real hull damage (assuming you have a GM that cares about this, I do and mine does.)

22. - Top - End - #142
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Good to see another SWSE thread to continue the excellence! :)

On a personal note, I was wondering does anyone know of any SWSE games going on in the San Antonio area?

Also, what do you think of having force powers in a tiered system? Here is what I am talking about:

Spoiler
    Show
    The Tiered Force Power List
    Abbreviation key- [DS] Dark Side, [LS] Light side, [TK] Telekinetic, [MA] Mind Affecting, [LF] Lightsaber Form, [SAGA] In the Core SAGA Book, [FU] Force Unleashed, [KOTOR] Knights of the Old Republic, [CW] Clone Wars Campaign Guide, [LE] Legacy Era Campaign Guide, [JATM] Jedi Academy Training Manual.

Tier I
    Assured Strike [LF][JATM], Barrier of Blades [LF][JATM], Battle Strike [SAGA], Blind [TK][JATM], Circle of Shelter [LF][JATM], Contentious Opportunity [LF][JATM], Corruption, [DS][FU], Dark Rage [DS][SAGA], Dark Transfer [DS][LE], Deflecting Slash [LF][JATM], Disarming Slash [LF][JATM], Drain Energy [JATM], Draw Closer [LF][JATM], Falling Avalance [LF][JATM], Farseeing [SAGA], Fear [DS][MA][KOTOR], Fluid Riposte [LF][JATM], Force Blast [FU], Force Disarm [TK][SAGA], Force Scream [DS][KOTOR], Force Slam [TK][SAGA], Force Thrust [TK][SAGA], Force Track [JATM], Hawk-Bat Swoop [LF][JATM], High Ground Defense [LF][JATM], Inertia [JATM], Ionize [KOTOR], Makashi Riposte [LF][JATM], Mind Trick [MA][SAGA], Obscure [MA][LE], Pass the Blade [LF][JATM], Prescience [LE], Pushing Slash [LF][JATM], Rend [DS][CW], Resist Force [KOTOR], Rising Whirlwind [LF][JATM], Saber Swarm [LF][JATM], Sarlacc Sweep [LF][JATM], Shien Deflection [LF][JATM], Slow [TK][KOTOR], Surge [SAGA], Swift Flank [LF][JATM], Tempered Aggression [DS][LF][JATM], Thought Bomb [MA][JATM], Twin Strike [LF][JATM], Unbalancing Block [LF][JATM], Unhindered Charge [LF][JATM], Valor [LS][KOTOR], Vornskr's Ferocity [DS][LF][JATM] Wound [DS][KOTOR].

Tier II
    Ballistakinesis [TK][LE], Cloak [CW], Combustion [LE], Convection [JATM], Crucitorn [JATM], Cryokinesis[JATM], Detonate [TK][LE], Energy Resistance [KOTOR], Force Grip [TK][SAGA], Force Light [LS][JATM], Force Shield [TK][FU], Force Storm [DS][FU], Force Storm [DS][JATM], Force Stun [SAGA], Force Whirlwind [TK][KOTOR], Hatred [DS][JATM], Inspire [LS][JATM], Intercept [TK][JATM], Kinetic Combat [FU], Mind Shard [MA][JATM], Move Object [TK][SAGA], Negate Energy [SAGA], Plant Surge [JATM], Repulse [TK][FU], Stagger [TK][LE], Technometry [CW], Vital Transfer [LS][SAGA].

Tier III
    Enlighten [LS][MA][LE], Fold space [JATM], Force Lightning [DS][SAGA], Levitate [TK][CW], Lightning Burst [DS][LE], Malacia [LS][CW], Memory Walk [DS][MA][JATM], Morichro [CW], Phase [CW], Rebuke [SAGA], Sever Force [LS][SAGA], Shatterpoint [CW].

I found this idea at:
    http://adrianrp.wikispot.org/Star_Wa...s_of_the_Force

What do you think are the pros and cons of having a system like this? I feel if implmented the preponderance of force powers should be Tier I of course, with the strongest/most abusable by players in Tier II or III. That being said which force powers do you feel need to be in Tier II or III?

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Did you just say San Antonio? I'd like to help you but our group hasn't had a SWSE game in quite a while. What side of town are you from?

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

We did Char generation this weekend.

We will be playing around 1000 vsy or something like that and the party will consist of:

Twi'lek Scout
    Arcadian Scoundrel (could be mixing these two up)
    Zabrak "Sith" (Sister of X)
    Saurok "Sith" high STR facebasher
    Human "Sith" Mechanic.

Houserules: everyone gets 2 extra skills trained. Darkside Score = Wis Score.

We currently shall give our DM a backstory, thinking about it is harder than I thought but I will manage that.

From what I can say so far: too many options. I went for Skillfocus UTF and the Block Talent and will probably take Force training soon, if not at first level.

Thinking about taking Armor Profiency or Martial Arts 1 or Improved Defenses but I have still time for that.
    Have a nice Day,
    Krazzman

25. - Top - End - #145
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Did you just say San Antonio? I'd like to help you but our group hasn't had a SWSE game in quite a while. What side of town are you from?
    We are going to be moving there in a couple months. NE side of San Antonio around Randolph AFB area.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

I'd be happy just to know about a PbP game so I can try the system out, but I can't seem to find any here or on Plothook or Myth-Weavers, so I'm out of ideas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

27. - Top - End - #147
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

My character is bad and I feel bad. My highest stat is 16 (to 22 of one of my co-players), I am built towards armor and have none, and my hit points are lowest in the group, despite my character built as a tank. I am literally eaten alive by the envy.
    Let's see how it goes.
    Last edited by Hyena; 2013-09-24 at 10:17 AM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Xaragos - military? If so I bid you welcome for when you get here. North side of town shouldn't be much of a problem to find gamers. SWSE gamers...I couldn't tell you if there are any playing currently, or looking.

Hyena - Why do you not have armor? And why do you have the worst hp as well? Being a soldier I'd think you'd have decent hp and have gotten armor if your going to spec in it.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

Why do you not have armor?
    Can't afford it.

And why do you have the worst hp as well
    Well, let's say I have some bad luck with dice rolls.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hyena View Post
    Can't afford it.

Well, let's say I have some bad luck with dice rolls.
    Why can't you afford armor? What level are you and what armor are you holding out for?

Ouch, yeah that would explain that. Toughness is your friend...