New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

View Poll Results: What do you think about Erfworld after reading the first few pages?

Voters
501. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like it primarily because of the art style

163 32.53%
  • I like it primarily because of the "childlike" aesthetic

65 12.97%
  • I like it primarily because of the humor and/or dialogue

196 39.12%
  • I like it primarily because the story/plot seems interesting

184 36.73%
  • I don't like it primarily because of the art style

36 7.19%
  • I don't like it primarily because of the "childlike" aesthetic

93 18.56%
  • I don't like it primarily because of the humor and/or dialogue

80 15.97%
  • I don't like it primarily because the story/plot seems boring/confusing/bad

99 19.76%
  • I will continue reading it regularly (as long as nothing changes for the worse).

253 50.50%
  • I will check it out from time to time, when I remember or OOTS is late

153 30.54%
  • I will not continue reading it at all.

28 5.59%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Default First Impressions

OK, as the proprietor here, I would be remiss if I didn't do a little customer reasearch. I mean, I ignore feedback on my own work, but I have a better feel for that. I'm trying to see what you guys think of Erfworld after (essentially) one scene.

This poll is allows multiple responses, so please vote for every aspect you like or dislike. If you are "meh" on an aspect of the comic, just don't vote on that aspect. And try to only select one of the three last choices.

I'm looking both for positive and negative feedback here, so if you love it or hate it, let me know.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: First Impressions

So far it is ok. I am sure it will take some time to get into it. The only issue I have with it so far is that if each update only includes 1 screen (which looks to be 3 panels) then it would seem like the story would take a very long time to progress. If the updates regularly include 6 screens, then that would be cool, but I'm guessing that's not the case.

Either way, it can't hurt having it here. Some people will love it, and read both. Some people will hate it, but continue to read OotS.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

I've said this elsewhere, but I'll sum it up here. It's not OotS, but it doesn't try to be. I like it.

It's deeper (and thus also slower moving), than OotS - the jokes do indeed take a while to develop, but are just as much appreciated. And I think there's something perhaps a bit "mythic" going on with the storyline, the childish characters, the incompetent leaders - hard to pull off, but a good start.

Artwork is not my favorite (I'd prefer a Heavy Metal edgier style best, if I had my druthers), but I do like it and it works well with both the tone and content of the plot so far. The writing is solid, and the jokes aimed at all levels, from pure scatalogical (latest panel, or one of the very next ones of the next page) to double entendre and obscure puns and cultural references- again, nice.

I'll reserve final judgement for once I've let it soak in for a few weeks, but for now, I'm in!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Over all I liked it but it seemed to be going for cheesy funny instead of smart funny a few times. I think something can have a child like aesthetic and still be smart funny. (power puff girls, Dexter's lab)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm really on the fence about it right now, there are some parts that look good and others that look like they could be an issue. I'll read it because I'm here anyway. If it was its own site that I would have to check on its own then it is much less likely. If I make specific visits to check for the updates will take a while to see how everything develops before I know for sure.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGirl

It seems too early to tell what it is going to be like. I like the art. However I think it will be difficult to get into the story because the plot will take too long to progress. I'm excited about though. It will be something to hold me over between OOTS.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Okay, I didn't notice it was up 'til the sixth strip was up ... but I'm in love!!

*grins* Findamancers and Croakamancers and Titans that look like Fat Elvis? Give me more!!
    Bwaha! I have deep-seated emotional problems! Die! Die! Die!

Games Workshop: Miniatures First. Rules Second. Clarity Last

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Tormsskull View Post
    So far it is ok. I am sure it will take some time to get into it. The only issue I have with it so far is that if each update only includes 1 screen (which looks to be 3 panels) then it would seem like the story would take a very long time to progress. If the updates regularly include 6 screens, then that would be cool, but I'm guessing that's not the case.

Either way, it can't hurt having it here. Some people will love it, and read both. Some people will hate it, but continue to read OotS.
    Every update will be a full comic page. Sometimes it will be 9 panels, sometimes 4 like page 3, but every update will be a full page of stuff. Most of the pages will have 9 or more panels or more.
    Jamie Noguchi, artist and co-creator of Erfworld and evil monkey responsible for Angry Zen Master.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Where is the "WTH?" option?

I don't pretend to understand, but maybe that comes with time. Or am I missing something. You've certainly got me interested.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Its far too early to say I will never read it again, but certenly won't be bookmarked. The only reason I'll really read it is because its linked next to OOTs. I love the art style in great lengths, the story seems okay and plausable, but the humor needs to be more consistent. I love that PM joke.

I like it primarily because of the art style
    I don't like it primarily because of the humor and/or dialogue
    I will check it out from time to time, when I remember or OOTS is late

Though I will read it because it has much potential. And because the Dwagons.
    I will reap your cheese!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

This poll is interesting.

It has 29 voter as of the time I am posting this message, which is 1 below the standard number for this to have any empirical signifigance to interpret.

This wont stop me.

The interesting part, to me, is the so called "childlike" options. It is the least selected choice among those that like the new comic, and one of the highest among those that don't. I think this may have to do with the fact that this is a primarily DnD focused forum, and therefore attracts DnD players.One misconception about games in general is that they are meant only for the very young. This misconception stretched over DnD, and could be the explanation for the negative reaction to the "childlike" perception of the comic. Since that misconception of DnD made some players sensitive to such criticism, they seek to disassociate themselves from anything they might feel as "immature" or "child-like".

Yay Freud!(or maybe Jung?)

Personally, I think the so called "cute speak" is no different than the "cool speak" many associate with fantasy stories. It is like a sentence that a regular, mature () , "cool" fantasy might have a "spiked golden dragon of the Ninety Nine Gods belched indigo flame at the mighty city of White Lotus" where as this comic could have "a big Dwagon prfft'ed a flaming load at the city of Great White Landowners"

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Looks cool so far. The story has some potential as well.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

It seems ok so far, random with the jokes which is something I like, because you never know when the next one will show up. Puns, while considered the lowest form of humor, is something I love, especially a very well made one. There are thinking jokes, puns, ennuendos, wordplay, and just clever use of visuals (while some on the forums seem to have not gotten the joke, the Elvis thing with the gem was great). All in all it makes for a very nice comic.

I am neutral towards the child speak, as most call it, as I see speach as something that is completely dictated by ones environment, to us, it's cutesy kids speak, because thats how kids talk when they can't quite pronouce a word correctly, however in the context of the story and world, these are not cute words, they are real words spoken by adults in a serious manner. So while I don't mind it, while I read it is sometimes difficult reading a word like dwagon, and not hearing my son or little girl when she was younger saying it in my head.

I voted that I wouldn't read it all the time, only when oots was late or what have you, but the real reason is I'd rather read it in installments as I did this time with 6 pages. I do this with another comic I read as well, mostly because as story driven comics, reading them in finished batches works better for me as a whole than reading them one page at a time (which reminds me, I need to check out that other one it's been about a month).

All in all keep it, I've enjoyed what I've seen so far.
    Alynn the Yellow Eyed

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

so far i am not impressed at all. I'll give this another look once a bunch of them have piled up and i can read through them all at once, maybe the plot will seem less stupid that way.

15. - Top - End - #15

I gotta say I hate it. I hate the art work. I hate the characters. I hate the dialogue. It lacks humor, drama, or anything else that would make it interesting. I'm sure this comic has its place...probably on an anime site somewhere where the only people they need to please are the SCRUBBED. They seem easy to please. But here, where you have the incrdible OOTS, we expect better.

Voice of Mod: Perhaps, but here we also expect better than to allow posters to flame large classes of people who almost certainly include people posting on this very thread who have said they liked it. Infraction for flaming.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Closed Account

Whoo! I'm so easily pleased! Cause I just love it!

My next character is gonna be a predictamancer rather than a diviner as usual.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I've actually rather liked it thusfar. Its a very different style from OOtS, but, well... its supposed to be. So thusfar it's started out relatively interesting. I'll have to see how much I like it as it goes.
    Tallest member of the fanclub.

Orc-y member of the Therkla fanclub.

Spoiler
    Show
    \"Run away!\"&&-------------Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Kill Pelor. Problem solved!"----Mewtarthio

"Voldemort: Avad-- chhkttt
    Vader: I find your lack of hygiene disturbing.
    Voldemort: *dies*."---Tirian

Quote Originally Posted by Bears With Lasers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    How many hit points would an earth-sized planet have?
    All of them.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Thumbs down Re: First Impressions

I don't really like the new Erfworld. Or, at least not as much as Oots, for a couple of reasons.
    1. The artwork kinda bugs me. If this is supposed to be a humerous comic, it looks too serios.
    2. There isn't a whole lot of unique stuff. It may be too early to say for sure, but it looks like there isn't any thing too special about it.
    3. This is the one I absolutely hate: The names for spell crafters. It looks like the author took some words that have a little to do with the type of magic, and put mancer at the end. This was probably supposed to be funny, but I just think it is stupid.
    4. This is my last one. The story goes way too fast for me. I just hope he slows it down a little.
    Like I said, it may be too early to say, but those are my first impressions. I'll keep my eyes peeled, and I'll keep reading but I hope for some better comics too come.
    Last edited by Torpedo Ted; 2006-12-10 at 04:40 PM.
    Thog keep signature short. Thog hate long signature! THOG SMASH LONG SIGNATURE!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Let's see....

The depth of the humor (as revealed in the threads so far) is incredible, and the jokes are mildly amusing.
    The art is very intelligible, but the comic relies more on everything else. (Says the stick-figure comic devotee.)
    The childlike aesthetic is part of the humor and story. Quirky, yet sensible, yet not, however strangely, groundbreaking.
    The story: Irrelevant. We still need to meet all the characters!

As far as I am concerned, the comic is still getting rolling, and I'm hesitant to judge an engine before it's running. As it is, I'll be sticking around out of sheer curiosity and to see just how the comedy dares go. And, it's irresistably cute.
    Belkar's Bad to the Bone.
    Dispossible a fetter hein and bemay kine a sinder's tock.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

I found it wierd and confusing. I'll probably check back after the New Year and read a bunch to see if it starts making sense and starts tickling my funny bone.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGirl

I've voted, but I'd love to see the Giant check back in with us after we've had more than six pages to form opinions. I'm mostly *intrigued* by all the aspects currently, but can't say whether or not I truly *like* them until I see where it's all going.

I'm definitely enjoying it so far!

-Alana

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

I liked it, but I've gotta wonder, is it going to be mostly from the perspectives of the badguys? I mean, I've liked the art style, but so far the characters have been hatable and annoying. If they turn out to be the comic relief pawns of the BBEG and it introduces the heroes later... I'll be happy, but wonder why they chose to do it that way instead of the other way around (heroes get introductions, a little development, then expose the crisis that they need to deal with)

I'm going to continue reading of course, since 6 pages is only the comic drawing its first breath, and I can't think of a single comic that sold itself inside of 6 pages. I'm also going to remain cautiously optimistic.
    A review of the best scifi/fantasy book you will have read, and a review of the even better sequel.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    You do your avatar proud

Member #29 of the Tin-foil Hat Alliance

23. - Top - End - #23
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Jerthanis View Post
    I liked it, but I've gotta wonder, is it going to be mostly from the perspectives of the badguys? I mean, I've liked the art style, but so far the characters have been hatable and annoying.
    He-he... Try reading Glen Cook's "Black Company" books. Now there is a story told from bad guy's perspective.

And I don't see too many complaints when action switches to Xykon or Linear Guild. Bad guys can be good too.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

I liked it entirely. While I was admittedly skeptical at first about another webcomic diluting the purity of the blessed OotS website, I will now happily state that Erfworld is, in fact, awesome.

The art is great, and conveys a sort of tone to the strip that fits it perfectly. The humor is brilliant (that first panel of the first strip was genius), and the story looks like it has a lot of potential.

Great work; it gets an A+ from me.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

The childish aspect irks me, and the big heads drive me nuts. Overall, the dialoage and humor seemed overtried and weak. The jokes seemed bad or punny and I don't really care for the humor style.

I'll check it everyone in a while to see if it picks up, but I will stick to OoTS otherwise.
    Cekiatar

26. - Top - End - #26

Chimera

Ill read it because it's there!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

First Impression: Story seems interesting enough, and I'll keep reading it for the time being.
    "You know that a conjurer gets no credit once he has explained his trick; and if I show you too much of my method of working, you will come to the conclusion that I am a very ordinary individual after all." - Sherlock Holmes to Watson

28. - Top - End - #28

I find the way the characters are drawn a bit annoying. Also, movement and expression are a bit hard to interpret from this style. The jokes, while certainly original, just aren't that funny. As for the art in general, while I like the attempt at forced perspective, it doesn't seem done very cleanly and so can leave your brain scrambling for how things are arranged and spaced in the world. The comic doesn't seem very good in bite-sized, single-strip doses, but as a whole the work may turn out just fine.
    Proud dictator of the miko fan club
    If you wanna be cool and join the Miko Fan Club,
    just put Miko in your sig and make up a position!
    Ambitious lieutenant of the Miko Mafia
    nuclear physicist of the Hinjo fan club

29. - Top - End - #29

I really like the comic and I look forward to more. I only have two criticisms:

1. I hope the kidspeak that was identified is only a way of making unique names rather than a way of actually speaking. So far, that theory seems to hold up.

2. If several pages are posted at once, I would rather have them merged into one page that flows better as one part of the story. I understand splitting them up for archive purposes (Goblins does that) but for the most recent post all of the panels should be on one page.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm ambivalent about the aesthetic and the dialogue.

That's not to say that they're mediocre, but that they have aspects of them that are neat and aspects that were getting old by the end of the preview. For example, the references to croakomancers and predictomancers -- amusing, but I'm not enthralled with it as a running gag.

I do like the art style, but it's not a major reason for me to read the comic. The story, however, sounds interesting, and I suspect that the other quirky aspects of the strip will fade to the background over time, so I expect to keep up with it for a bit.