New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default What are you??? (Dungeon 3B)

As you pass through the Velvet Door you are greeted by the familiar darkness of the Velvet World. Being the only one who is new to this, James starts to feel like he is swallowed by the darkness. The others are surprise that the darkness is no longer so thick as it was the last time. After checking his surroundings Benjamin takes a closer look at the Velvet Door.
    "No hostiles in the area, and we are in the right place, that's a good start."
    "Understood. No unusually activity at the moment, you are clear to proceed."
    "Cool. I will contact you if we need something."
    He turns off his communicator, no need to bother Alexander, and turns towards the group.
    "You guys are very lucky, you will get to see one of the rare pretty sight in the Velvet World. And no, I am not going to tell you what, it's gonna be a surprise. Now, if you are ready, we can proceed."
    Last edited by Philemonite; 2013-12-24 at 06:03 AM.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xhosant View Post
    This is evil, evil GMing. Brilliant, good sir!

LGBTAitP
    Philemon avatar by the awesome Morbis Meh.
    Suikoden Tabletop-Work in progress

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: What are you??? (Dungeon 3B)

James is rather unsettled by the experience, not being fond of the "swallowed" feeling.

Oh, uhuh, um, sure. Let's get going.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Davis was visibly disgruntled at the mention of a "surprise", he just had a hunch this would not end well. He tried to focus his eyesight, as his brain was still going on overdrive from too much coffee, but it really didn't help, as his gaze darted and drifted about after a while.

Shaking his head for a moment, the youth adjusted his communicator, and drew his velvet card from his pocket.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    So please, by Anthony Bourdain's left nut, do not call gravy blood.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekkin View Post
    the only way to get it into space was to build the atmospheric stages on top of it like a 400-ton hat made of fire and structural inadequacy.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Soga got his spirits up from the transition. No drowning feeling, and no sleepiness (despite his lack of sleep). The transfer was basically pleasant, and he couldn't help but wonder if he was getting the hang of things.

"An actual field trip, you say? That should be interesting indeed." His interest was piqued, his imagination already racing. To look pretty in here, it had to be shinny. Probably starlight-esque, that would blend in well with the scenery...

Noticing how James looked a bit out of it, he leaned towards him."It feels distressing, but it's nothing to worry about. Plus, apparently you'll grow a resistance to it. Hopefully."

"I'd draw my card out if I were you, it's light comforts you more than what the darkness' fading justifies."

He fished for his own through his pockets, palming it and siding it in his sleeve. In the process though, he touched the borrowed Evoker (a slightly unsettling sense), as well as his mobile. Well, well, well. Maybe we'll get a souvenir of this sight...
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    "What's this? A railroad? Well, we better cross it now, or the train will come along and sweep us down the tracks!"

*kills important NPC, avoids entire planned out plot*

5. - Top - End - #5

AssassinGuy

When Soga mentions his excitement James perks up. Does coming to another dimension not count as a field trip for you then?

He then nods and pulls out his card.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

"Pest control meets military training is one thing. We're talking sightseeing! Just imagine how something called a 'sight' here must look like, in this empty void. It ought be truly exceptional."
    "What's this? A railroad? Well, we better cross it now, or the train will come along and sweep us down the tracks!"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Emmerson had pretty much been her usual self. Well, no, that wasn't quite right. She was even more anti-social than normal since the first mission, which is apparently possible. The contact with her "other self" truly shook her to the core, and she was doing her best to try and forget all about it, with no luck whatsoever. Emmerson had strongly considered not even returning today, and just putting all this Velvet World stuff behind her.

Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on your perspective, she simply could not do that. The girl, though seemingly quite young and fragile, had made a promise to herself. Even if it was painful to keep going, she wanted to continue attempting to protect people. She wanted to be stronger. She wanted to show that she wasn't... Well, a kid.

Still, despite working up the courage to enter the Velvet World again, Emmerson is in fact goddamn terrified. She was staying near the back of the group, nervously keeping a very tight grip on her Evoker's handle. Benjamin's words didn't encourage her much, frankly. Even if there are some things not-so-horrifying in this place, she cannot forget the threats this place holds. The nightmares it'll be sure to give her for many nights to come.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

"Pest control meets military training is one thing. We're talking sightseeing! Just imagine how something called a 'sight' here must look like, in this empty void. It ought be truly exceptional."
    "Absolutely, it is the most beautiful thing I have seen in the velvet world. Shadows and other creatures also think that. It's a good thing they can't get near to it."
    Show

LGBTAitP

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asteron Questar View Post
    "Absolutely, it is the most beautiful thing I have seen in the velvet world. Shadows and other creatures also think that. It's a good thing they can't get near to it."
    "When you say "they", are you talking about those... Whatever the hell that knock off we met the other day was, in addition to your average shadow? Or can the copycats still approach it?"
    the only way to get it into space was to build the atmospheric stages on top of it like a 400-ton hat made of fire and structural inadequacy.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

"Do you mean 'flying above a chasm' can't get near, or 'sprayed with shadow repellent' can't get near?"

11. - Top - End - #11

AssassinGuy

I hope it's behind a pit of tigers can't get near.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dethkruzer View Post
    "When you say "they", are you talking about those... Whatever the hell that knock off we met the other day was, in addition to your average shadow? Or can the copycats still approach it?"
    "The mirror selves? We are not sure, we have never seen one there. It is possible they can approach it. The best way we can define shadow selves is as part Shadows and part humans. I'm not sure which part applies her. It doesn't matter, they should all be annihilated anyway."

"Do you mean 'flying above a chasm' can't get near, or 'sprayed with shadow repellent' can't get near?"
    "Shadow repellent sounds more appropriate. You will realize once you see it."

Quote Originally Posted by andiemus View Post
    I hope it's behind a pit of tigers can't get near.
    "Then we wouldn't be able to get there ourselves.
    All jokes aside, keep your eyes opened, or you will miss what is right in front of you. Look through the darkness, and you will understand."

You see a figure in the distance, but the darkness is too thick to recognize it.

"I was wondering how long will it take. Your perception is a bit off, isn't it?"

"Not at all. I was just hoping my friends here will notice you, but I guess their senses are not so sharp yet. Plus, I was trying to figure out what are you. Do you wanna come any closer, so I can have a better look?"
    Show

LGBTAitP

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

If we have such a safe zone, why not settle in it? Why not link a door there and make a forward camp?, he thought to himself.

Turning to the source of the voice, Soga strains his eyes to see through the darkness. Regardless, it seems so thick as to not only prevent recognision, but even clinging to the sound and make it a tad more indistinguishable.

Taking a cautious few steps towards the figure and straining his eyes, just as he feels a hint of adrenaline rushing through him, Soga calls out to the figure, card clenched in hand.

"Are you friend or foe?"

14. - Top - End - #14

AssassinGuy

If he's foe I'd expect that he wouldn't talk to us.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

The voice is what Davis detcts first, making him freeze where he stood. He snapped out of the worst of his caffeine-overclocking, allowing his eyes to find the figure almost hidden by the darkness. Almost by reflex, his knees bent back to a slight flex, the boy leaned forth slightly, clutching his velvet card. Tanhkfully enough, logic did have time to kick in before he did anything stupid, as he remembered what happened the last time the group had considered the first thing encountered as an enemy.

Davis remained silent for now, although it didn't take much to notice he was ready for some explosive action.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

"Are you friend or foe?"
    "A friend? Such a foolish concept. You humans really are lesser beings."
    A sinister laughter echoes through the darkness of the Velvet World.

Quote Originally Posted by andiemus View Post
    "Intimidation can be a very powerful tool, if used correctly. Don't fall for it."

"Faking superiority? That might work on the new kids, but I know what you are, and I am not afraid."

"Then you are a fool. You will learn to tremble in my presence."
    Show

LGBTAitP

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

"You'd be surprised. People around here seem to have a thing for the dramatic.", Soga whispers.

"A friend? Such a foolish concept. You humans really are lesser beings."
    "You mean you guys, whoever you are, do without people to trust and enjoy their presence? No offense, but it must suck to be you..."

"Regardless, question stands. Are you here to trade friendly words and be on our merry way, or must one mop the floor with the other?"

18. - Top - End - #18

AssassinGuy

James' shoulders slump in mock despair.

I hope not, I hate cleaning.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

"You mean you guys, whoever you are, do without people to trust and enjoy their presence? No offense, but it must suck to be you..."

"Regardless, question stands. Are you here to trade friendly words and be on our merry way, or must one mop the floor with the other?"
    "Trust? Let me guess, you are one of the new kids? Your commander should have thought you not to trust anyone. Including him, of course.

If you are so inpatient, why don't you come here and ask me directly?"
    Show

LGBTAitP

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Soga felt anger starting to flare up in him. Damn, what's with their dodging all the time. What must one do to get answers?

All right, if you want me to confront you, you'll have it.
    he thought with a sigh.

"Actually, I will. I'll walk up to you, slowly, and offer to shake hands. You claim to be wise and superior. You know striking me down would get you in a needless fight, even just a minor inconvenience of one."
    He took a step forward, hands still in his pockets, clenching his card.

"I trust you won't bother to do that just to spite me."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

At this point Davis takes half-a-step forward, before speaking. "Soga-senpai, are you sure this is a good idea?"

22. - Top - End - #22

AssassinGuy

If we're fighting, I suggest getting to it.

James cracks his knuckles.

There is a question I have, though before we begin. If our commander is supposed to tell us not to trust them, then how can we believe them when they say not to trust someone else?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

"Yes Alexander, they are here, we are in the middle of a conversation. Yes, I will send them back. No, I will not be returning with them. Because I have some clean up to do. I will be back soon, I just need to do this without you yelling at me. Goodbye."

As he turns towards you you notice something different in is eyes, but you can't really define it.

"Unfortunately, our little school trip is canceled, and you kids need to go home. Now. This is going to get really messy, and I don't want you here to distract me."
    Show

LGBTAitP

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

"Unfortunately, our little school trip is canceled, and you kids need to go home. Now. This is going to get really messy, and I don't want you here to distract me."
    What the-. Ugh, dammit!

Soga was split for a second, knowing an order like that couldn't be uncalled for, but he still didn't like the prospect of dropping all the answers that could be at hand. His eyes dart between Benjamin, the figure and the door.

"Damn it.", he says under his breath, his blade manifesting in his hand. If they were willing to change plans so suddenly after bringing them all the way here at this time, things were actually dangerous. He swiftly back-stepped towards the group, keeping the velvet-black sword defense-ready.

"Don't you dare die on us before explaining, Sunshine!", he shouts at Benjamin, taking position where he could cover the others' retreat if blows erupted before they crossed.
    Last edited by Xhosant; 2014-01-27 at 09:26 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Davis seemed a tad unsure on how to react to the situation, something that seemed to happen way too often lately. A block of non-descript material shimmered into existence on his open hand, and he began flicking the butterfly knife open and shut in a nervous fashion.

He slowly backed away, keeping his eyes on... whatever this thing is, althoughconstantly taking a look over his shoulder to see if the way to the door was clear.He lifted up the hand in which he kept his card to light the way before them.

"We should get going. Who knows when Shadows might starts showing up."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

"Tareso, I need to focus on this, so I can't have any distractions. That means you have to take your team and leave. Now. This is a direct order, I will not repeat myself."

Before he even finishes a group of butterflies appears from the darkness. You find it strange that their color is similar to the color of the door. They circle around the team for a few moments before they change their course and leave in the direction of the door.

"Now he decides to help. Didn't expect anything different." Benjamin mumbles to himself.

"Follow." He whispers before drawing both of his cards and charging into the darkness.
    Show

LGBTAitP

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Soga is about to say something, but when the butterflies show up, any idea of conflict left his mind.

For a split-second he stood there mesmerized by them. Not because of their sudden appearance, not because of how different they are to what he'd expect in here and not because of their otherworldly, subtle luminescence. At least, not primarily because of it.

They seemed important. They held the color of the door, the same their cards glowed with. He knew they were a piece of the puzzle, and an important one.

A moment later, he snapped out of their influence, realizing the situation once more.

"You heard him, go! This might actually be dangerous."

He still stood guard between the team and Benjamin, waiting to ensure everyone had passed before he'd move through the door.

28. - Top - End - #28

AssassinGuy

James is one of the first through the door back outside and immediately makes his displeasure known.

Ok, you get me up early to go on a field trip to another freakin' world with shadows and danger and monsters, then kick me out because it's dangerous and now there are blue butterflies and goddammit I haven't even had breakfast yet somebody owes me an explanation!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

"Save your breath, rookie, that won't do you any good." Davis says to James before stepping out through the door.