New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default The merit of a good story vs. Comedy

There has been much discussion about the merit of Erfworld based on the comedy (or seeming lack thereof). I, for one, have been highly unimpressed with the comedy, save for the Hoffa bit, and the introduction to the Cloth Golems. Many, many people argued that this comic was not based on chuckles and laughs, and I hadn't bought into that. Until now.

I just finished reading episode 393 of OOTS. There were a few good gags near the beginning of the comic, but nothing that made me even come close to spewing my beverage all over my monitor (believe me, that has happened, I've considered getting one of those plastic shields for it similar to what you see at an all-you-can-eat buffet, but I digress).

Despite the absence of big time laughs, this was flat out, this was one of the best things I have ever read. If I'd been in a theatre experiencing something like this, I likely would have jumped up and cheered, it was that great. What was great about it? Well, a few things. First, the delivery was perfect. Rich did a fantastic job of building tension and excitement leading up to todays comic. The dialogue was beyond incredible, and Nale threw in a wonderful twist that I didn't see coming (a rarity for me, being a writer I'm always looking ahead at possible plot lines that I would come up with, and far too often I see things coming, which can be a huge disappointment).

The true driving force behind this issue however, was the story. A story that has taken a very long time to develop. Without going back and retracing all the steps, how many issues have been dedicated to, or support today's comic? Far more than ten. I would suggest that number would even be far more than twenty. We have to establsih Nale's evil nature and homicidal tendancies towards his brother. We have to establish Elan's innocence, his transformation from a bumbling bard to a debonaire swashbuckler. We have to learn of Elan's feelings (as confused as he may be by them) towards Haley, and of Haley's feelings towards Elan. We need to know why Haley is struggling to speak. I'm sure I could find another dozen items that we needed to know to make this one comic the success that it was, and it was a success of epic proportions.

What is the point, then? , you may be asking. Why am I writing such a lengthy post about OOTS in the Erfworld forums? Because Erfworld is beginnnig as a story based comic. It may not have grabbed me right away, but I feel I would be doing it a grave disservice to not give it a chance. A proper chance won't be a mere ten episodes.

I'm not a fan (yet), but I will remain open to becoming one.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: The merit of a good story vs. Comedy

I've nothing to add - you've got it exactly right.
    Libros virumque cano, ...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Read the very first OOTS comic. Then go to www.nuklearpower.com and read the first comic there. Then read the very first Erfworld comic.

Notice how the first two grab you in with jokes right away and want you to read on. The first two have wonderful character developments and plot lines in the long run, although I have to admit, OOTS does a better job than 8-bit theater with that. Now notice that even if you assume there will be great plots and character developments coming, why does the first few comics of Erfworld make you confused and are completely unhumorus and at some times painful to read? If the first few comics aren't good, heck if by the first ten I'm still waiting for a plot or at least a decent joke, I can't expect the rest to be any good either.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Zander View Post
    Read the very first OOTS comic. Then go to www.nuklearpower.com and read the first comic there. Then read the very first Erfworld comic. Now notice that even if you assume there will be great plots and character developments coming, why does the first few comics of Erfworld make you confused and are completely unhumorus and at some times painful to read?
    Counterpoint: They didn't make me confused. They made me laugh out loud, and were the opposite of painful (enjoyable!) to read. I love it!

"I feel" . . . that Erfworld rocks

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

I don't understand why people assume that just because Erfworld is hosted by giantitp.com and Rich likes it, it must be just like OotS. It's a different comic, people, it has different style. Yes, there are people who like OotS and are not impressed by Erfworld at all. In fact, there probably are people that would love Erfworld, but hate OotS with passion. We just don't get to hear from them yet, because Erfworld is new and its audience consists entirely of OotS fans. Give it time...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Maurog View Post
    I don't understand why people assume that just because Erfworld is hosted by giantitp.com and Rich likes it, it must be just like OotS. It's a different comic, people, it has different style.
    Wait- maybe Rich doesn't like it, and he put it up just so he could see all the people posting "Erfworld Stinks! Oots is better!"
    This whole thing is just an ego stroke for the Giant! You have been used, Jamie and Rob.

(waits for the inevitable debate about whether this post is sarcastic or not)
    Spoiler
    Show

Yee.
    Hah.

I'm in ur ideosphere, propigatin' ur memes!
    I do not understand me.
    English translation of Japanese translation via Babelfish of #408

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

I've found these first ten strips nearly as entertaining as OotS.
    Just my 2 gp.
    The above post made a lot more sense in my head.

Epic avatar by Mr. Saturn. Thanks Mr. Saturn!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Have any of you read 'ADVENTURERS!'? It's crudely drawn, and its opening jokes aren't that funny. But it has a large fanbase, and ended in October with about 1250 comics. By the time Karashi joined the party, it had improved.

Erfworld isn't crudely drawn, and it can be quite entertaining (that's right, I LIKE the ORLY's, so there). People are just critizing it because it isn't OOTS. But it won't EVER be OOTS. It's a different kind of story, a different kind of art, and a different kind of comedy. I like 'em both. I bet you that Erfworld will also improve as time moves on.
    Creator of the "It's Xykon, not Xylon, Zykon, Zylon..." Association. To join, copy-paste this into your sig and give urself a title.

Legendary Hero of the Church of Link's Hat

Bard of the Azure City Resistance!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

No, it's not OOTS and I wouldn't expect it to be. I gave it an unbaised chance when I started reading it and I still dislike it. Now I'm not saying it should be removed or anything, there are plenty of people who enjoy it and I doubt anyone will stop reading OOTS because they dislike Erfworld. I'm just putting in my opinions of the webcomic on the forums because I am a loney and bored kid who has nothing better to do than to voice his opinions all over the internet even though nobody cares.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

So EW is not OOTS?

I feel so cheated!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

What you say Jack Zander?!?!? Don't let them get to you, you have a right to express your opinions! Attica! :)

I still love Erfworld far more than I will ever OOtS after they posted their six pages. But then again I don't really like the OOtS... tho' it's amusing at times.

Waaaait, I like Miko! Even if it might be because so many hate her.