New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Voyage of the Golden Dragon.

Curiosity glares at the corpse, at the situation, at the travesty that is this loss of life.

When he speaks his voice is cold and harder than one would imagine a Warfoged's voice could be, "Personal or political. Those are the only two kinds of deaths in this world. Our job is to determine which this is, and who is responsible.", he mutters to himself.

Fist clenched Curiosity excuses himself from the room. His internal monologue becoming a muttered external one, "This is just like that time, just like it. Was he hated or used? Which was it!"

Curiosity marches into the corridor intent on finding the Karnaathi and getting some answers. "There is no honor in politics. Ever."
    Last edited by unseenmage; 2013-10-14 at 08:20 AM.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Alkitho can not determine Gunter's cause of death, but the spilt wine glass is your first clue. The little bit of wine that remains has a foul odor that your druidic training lets you recognize as dark reaver powder, a deadly poison. There appears to have been no struggle or even convulsions. Gunter died quickly. The room seems to be otherwise undisturbed, nothing is missing and his letters are unmolested.

Rauhiss and Curiosity find Ambassador Avadarrn and his 5 guards just outside.

Hey, mate. Sorry 'bout your friend. What was 'e workin on that was so important as someone would kill 'em? Or do you think maybe you were supposed to be the target?

"There was nothing out of the ordinary, just standard correspondence. Most of it is due for Karrnath once we reach Stormreach. Gunter has been with me for years, he is a diligent scribe, but holds no more importance than that. I can think of no reason to kill this man. He was a friend, but he is little more than a clerk." Avadarrn stops short of speculating that he himself may have been the actual target, but the worry on his face proves that the thought had already occurred to him.

Lightning flashes outside the porthole, and the sound of rain on the deck above grows. There is a dangerous storm outside the ship. The magical announcement system chimes and you can hear the voice of Mazzia "This is the first mate. Due to heavy winds and torrential rains all persons are to remain below deck. No personnel should attempt to cross the main deck until the storm has cleared and the Captain has given the all-clear."

3. - Top - End - #243

"...Gunter has been with me for years, he is a diligent scribe, but holds no more importance than that. I can think of no reason to kill this man. He was a friend, but he is little more than a clerk."

"So why is an unimportant man dead in the next room?"
    "Who has what to gain by his death."
    "What end is his death a means to?"
    "Will he make a useful undead?"
    "Like turning a housepet into a handbag?"
    "Or worse, a living breathing man into a political tool?"

With each statement Curiosity's voice gets softer and he steps closer to the Ambassador's face. When the skeleton(s) inevitably intervene he turns on the first of them, "And what good were you in this? Where were you when a member of your delegation was slain? Is this your failure or your success?"

Whirling on Adavarrn, "I know your kind Adavarrn, living or dead, man or machine. A minion is just a minion to you. And a purpose just a purpose, death or no death."

"I had better not find that you killed a man just to create political opportunity Am-ba-sa-dor.", with exaggerated emphasis on the syllables of that last word Curiosity strikes out stomping after the Silver Flame delegation to give them the same sort of speech. After rounding a corridor he catches himself and stops to cool his temper.

Leaning against a wall, out of sight of the Karrnathi, he closes his eyes and contemplates the last few moments. Doing his best to visualize the Ambassador's reaction to his accusation. Memories of the Lord of Blades and certain incidents surrounding that figure rattle through his head, ruining his concentration as they'd ruined his composure.

Why must the political agenda's of the strong slay the weak in their wake? Curiosity bows his head in mourning for those pawns lost in the past and the present and steels himself for an official apology and the recriminations of his compatriots for his outburst.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Being no stranger to death, Baiorn is totally unphased by the body lying in the room.
    "I'm no good at talking to people, and I don't have a good eye for catching small details, but their is one thing I can do that we might find very useful! In my clerical training I learned how to speak with the dead. Of course I will need a night of prayer and concentration before I am ready to talk to any corpses. So tomorrow, let's meet back here nice and early and I will ask the corpse some questions."

5. - Top - End - #245

As he walks into the room Castor whistles, quite insensitively. I am afriad I may not be of much help here. Neither politics nor Investigations are my speciality. Any clues as to how he died?
    And treasure!
    Wait, that doesn't make any sense

6. - Top - End - #246

HalflingRangerGuy

The Ambassador takes curiosity's abuse with only a grief stricken face. Skarad however is furious at your accusations and when you storm off he begins to follow, until the Ambassador talks him down.

"Let him go, Skarad. Be still your anger."

The skeleton returns but turns on Rauhiss "And what about YOU! I heard you admit to the murder of a number of clerics at dinner! You even stated one is supposed to be on this ship! Well not everyone from Karrnath is an 'evil necromancer'. If I find out you had anything to do with this I will skin you and eat you alive!"

"Enough, Skarad! I am sorry, Rauhiss, we are all grief striken. Skarad channels his grief ...er...differently. I think I need a drink. If you have no more questions, I shall retire to the House of Chance."

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ettin in the Playground

"And what about YOU! I heard you admit to the murder of a number of clerics at dinner! You even stated one is supposed to be on this ship! Well not everyone from Karrnath is an 'evil necromancer'. If I find out you had anything to do with this I will skin you and eat you alive!"

Aye, mate. If it turns out I was involved, i'll help ya' do it, too. But tha clerics I be fightin' are consortin' with fiends, not skeletons. I have no problem with tha' undead, and I have no reason to kill a man like Gunter. When we find out who did this, I'll be right next to ya' strikin' 'em down.

"Enough, Skarad! I am sorry, Rauhiss, we are all grief striken. Skarad channels his grief ...er...differently. I think I need a drink. If you have no more questions, I shall retire to the House of Chance."

"I'm no good at talking to people, and I don't have a good eye for catching small details, but their is one thing I can do that we might find very useful! In my clerical training I learned how to speak with the dead. Of course I will need a night of prayer and concentration before I am ready to talk to any corpses. So tomorrow, let's meet back here nice and early and I will ask the corpse some questions."

You all go off an' do what ya' gotta do. I'm stayin' right here tonight. I'm na' exactly thrilled with guardin' a dead body, but it'll be hard to ask 'im questions if the murderer comes back tonight and dumps his body off the ship. So I'm stayin' right here, and anyone who wants to stay will be rightly appreciated.
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2013-10-15 at 11:21 AM.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy Check on Skarad to try and improve his disposition towards me

(1d20+9)[10]

9. - Top - End - #249

Curiosity shuffles back to the scene of the crime, literally dragging his feet. He is embarrassed by his outburst and how much harder it must have made things for his new allies.

He finds the others still searching and investigating, "Everyone, I apologize for my outburst. I will try to refrain from letting my past command my passions so in the future. I assure you." Curiosity hangs his head in shame, his clumsy apology hanging in the air like a damp cloth.

Peering down the hallway, "Does anyone know where the ambassador has gotten to, I need to go attempt the daunting task of begging his and that skeleton's forgiveness. I may not be very good at it but it must be done nonetheless."

"Before I go though...", Curiosity removes the mechanical spider from the back of his hand, "...this is Skitter. He can search out treasure and hidden things like you wouldn't believe. And he can get into spaces that we larger creatures cannot." Skitter flourishes a bow.

Curiosity speaks to the spidery device, which looks like it's just a mechanical eye with legs that's about the size of a small mouse, "Skitter, I want you to search this room for anything hidden be it a door, a drawer, or a page. Anything suspicious you bring to Sir Henry here or at least bring to his attention; understood?"

With that the Spider Thief nods, with it's whole "body", and Curiosity releases it into the room. "This way I can assist you even while I deal with my hideous faux pas."

Spoiler
    Show
    The Spider thief is intelligent and so can interpret my orders if it needs to.
    However, it has a +0 to Search so it is taking 20 for a, you guessed it, 20.
    Here's an Appraise check just in case it needs to make a decision about anything it finds, cuz that's how it sees the world: (1d20+4)[24]

10. - Top - End - #250
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

You all go off an' do what ya' gotta do. I'm stayin' right here tonight. I'm na' exactly thrilled with guardin' a dead body, but it'll be hard to ask 'im questions if the murderer comes back tonight and dumps his body off the ship. So I'm stayin' right here, and anyone who wants to stay will be rightly appreciated.

"Be right back." Baiorn says as he runs out of the room in a hurry.

Baiorn heads to his room and grabs his combat equipment and yanks off his bed sheets and pillow, leaving the room in a mess. Baiorn then heads back to the room everyone is in.

Trying to keep a grip on all his equipment along with the bedsheets and pillow, Baiorn almost runs into Rauhiss.

"Seeing as I am no good on the investigation front, I feel the least I could do is guard the body with you, friend." Baiorn says, letting his stuff fall out of his hands, making a large crash and an equally large mess.
    "It'll be like a sleepover, like kids have!" Baiorn chuckles.

Baiorn turns to Castor and pats him on the back and says,
    "Excuse me friend Castor, but you are an Artificer right? Does that mean you are able to make scrolls for spells?"

11. - Top - End - #251
    Barbarian in the Playground

After losing track of "skitter", a thought comes to Sir Henry. He quietly excuses himself from his room, takes a look at his copy of the ship's manifest, and finds his way to the Cardinal's room, where he asks one of the guards to see the Cardinal, referring only to the reason as "a matter of great urgency".

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy to gain access without revealing the precise reason: (1d20+22)[37]
    Current Characters:
    Colonel Sir Henry ir'Narthen, LN Human Marshal/Archivist/Mythic Exemplar in The Voyage of the Golden Dragon
    Whitefoot, CG Tibbit Rogue/Craftsman/Trapsmith, in Ruins of Mayca

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ettin in the Playground

"Everyone, I apologize for my outburst. I will try to refrain from letting my past command my passions so in the future. I assure you."

I've been there, mate. I lose m' temper from time to time as well. Sometimes ya' get so angry ya' just lose control....

"Does anyone know where the ambassador has gotten to, I need to go attempt the daunting task of begging his and that skeleton's forgiveness. I may not be very good at it but it must be done nonetheless."

He 'n that skeleton fella' went to the gamblin' hall up in the bow of the ship. If you're gonna go there bring Baiorn an' me back an ale if ya' will. It's gonna be a long night.

"It'll be like a sleepover, like kids have!"

It'll certainly be an interesting night, I reckon. Let's just hope that corpse knows some useful information in tha' mornin.

Rauhiss intently watches the mechanical spider as it searches the room. When it gets close to him, he reaches out to touch it, but it flees his hand, determine not to be interrupted in its task.

That little critter seems mighty useful. I wonder where you would get one of those?

13. - Top - End - #253

HalflingRangerGuy

Skitter goes to work on the room with diligence as Baiorn and Rauhiss prepare to spend the night camped out in the hall.

-------------

Alkitho joins Sir Henry and the two of them make their way to room 8n. Where the Thane Ambassador resides. Your manifest tells you that the Paladins actually sleep in room 8o, right next door. They are however in the hall, and after your request they let you through, but watch closely. You knock and the cardinal welcomes you in. "Welcome, what brings you, friends?"

----------------

Curiosity joined by Glimbur and Castor, have no trouble finding the Ambassador in the House of Chance. He is having a discussion with Skarad and seems to have just realized that IF he was the target, perhaps another drink is not the best plan. The four other skeletons are surrounding him. The House is packed as Paldrith and his guard are still here drinking and getting rowdy. The three sisters are at their table and are very friendly with the men. You can also see Halas Martin and another passenger each keeping to themselves. There are four Medani guards observing the crowd. Just as you enter a goblin spills a drink on the unknown passenger, and a short argument ensues. "Careful you sniveling snot!" "My apologize sir, let me get you a free ale." "Aye. You better!" Disgruntled but appeased he sits back down.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, Dwarf, we have a long night ahead of us, and naught but the ale Curiosity is bringin' us, so I guess we better get aquatinted. What beings you to "The Great Golden Dragon"?

On that note, you Clerics should get on researchin' a Create Ale spell, don'tcha think?

15. - Top - End - #255

Curiosity shuffles up to the Ambassador and his guard, "Excuse me Ambassador?I would like a word if I may.Specifically I would like to apologize to you and Skarad here for my outburst earlier.It was unfair of me to berate you all for my issues with figures of authority and the death that surrounds them."

"No offense meant Skarad."

The words escape him like venting steam, urgent and without pause.

"I assure you I will do my best to resolve the matter at hand", his head never lifts as he's apologizing; as though he were some massive mechanical child avoiding a scolding.

After saying his piece Curiosity stands awkwardly, head down, shoulders slumped. He simply stands and listens for the inevitable recriminations to come.

Spoiler
    Show
    In case it's needed, here's a Diplomacy check: (1d20+3)[14]
    Last edited by unseenmage; 2013-10-16 at 08:00 PM.

16. - Top - End - #256

HalflingRangerGuy

Before the Ambassador can even respond to Curiosity the sound of another crash and breaking glass is heard behind you. The man who was just drenched with a spilled ale has again moved up from his table, and he has the offending goblin by the neck.

"Where is it you dirty thief!" He shouts as he picks up and slams the creature on a nearby table spilling more glasses.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am going to combat rounds in the House of Chance at this point, the two are openly fighting and whether you jump in or not, you have to act in rounds.

-------

Bosun Velgram Linntorm the massive half-orc approaches Baiorn and Rauhiss in the hall. "I hope you are not planning on staying here all night. The captain tells me you are welcome to guard the body, but the Ambassador needs a place to sleep. Cap'n instructed me to move the body to the cargo hold until we reach Stormreach, I can set up a few cots there for you, if you like."

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ettin in the Playground

"I hope you are not planning on staying here all night. The captain tells me you are welcome to guard the body, but the Ambassador needs a place to sleep. Cap'n instructed me to move the body to the cargo hold until we reach Stormreach, I can set up a few cots there for you, if you like."

Mate, where that corpse goes, we go. It's evidence, an' I'm not lettin' my eyes off it till we can ask it some questions in tha mornin. But some cots would be rightly appreciated, I reckon.

Either way, that body isn't being moved until that little critter there is done searchin. When it gives the all clear, you can take it. But I don't want you disturbin anything before he takes a look at it all.
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2013-10-16 at 10:17 PM.

18. - Top - End - #258

"Welcome, what brings you, friends?"

"Ill tidings. I'm afraid there has been a murder."

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense motive to see if he knew about this (and/or if he knows more than he lets on about this when he next speaks): (1d20+14)[16]
    Diplomacy (to avoid offending him with any inferred implications) [roll]1d20+22[/roll}
    Current Characters:
    Colonel Sir Henry ir'Narthen, LN Human Marshal/Archivist/Mythic Exemplar in The Voyage of the Golden Dragon

19. - Top - End - #259

HalflingRangerGuy

"Oh dear. A Murder you say? Are you asking if I will perform last rites? Who was the unfortunate soul? Have they caught a culprit?" He grabs his holy symbol and places it around his neck. He looks both surprised and concerned for the deceased, and you detect no hint of deception. "What can I do to ease this unfortunate passing?"

20. - Top - End - #260

HalflingRangerGuy

The three other goblins rush to the aid of their comrade wielding serving trays like shields and beer bottles like daggers. The man throws the first goblin across the room where he lands on the table with Malinko and his gang and begins to fight off the other 3 goblins.

Four Medani Sentries draw blades as Malinko and his gang stand and reach for weapons. This is turning into a genuine barroom brawl. Jenks jump behind the bar and a stray mug flies across the room and hits a goblin in the head as Halas Martain jumps up on a table and shout with merriment Haha! A good barroom brawl and at sea! So many cliques! I LOVE this ship!" He wades into the melee with gusto.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Orc in the Playground

Back in the Karrn ambassador's room, Alkitho sniffs the spilt wine and informs the others, "Gunter was poisoned. Smells like dark reaver powder."

------------

She then accompanies Sir Henry to Cardinal Bethenade's room. She stays silent as Sir Henry asks the two paladins to allow them inside, but when the Cardinal asks the identity of the murder victim, she speaks up with uncharacteristic boldness. "Gunter Hegerin, Ambassador Avadarrn's scribe. He was poisoned." As she speaks Gunter's name, she stares at the Thrane, trying to sense the man's reaction. "You won't be needed for any last rites. We're still searching for the poisoner, but I'm sure we'll find him soon. Let us know if you see anything."

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive: (1d20+4)[23]
    Spot for anything suspicious in the room: (1d20+6)[20]
    Last edited by sunwukong; 2013-10-18 at 05:43 PM.

22. - Top - End - #262

A worry crosses Curiosity's mind and he darts his gaze back and forth across the room, looking for anyone who looks like they're taking advantage of the confusion or who might be using the brawl as a diversion. 'That's what I would do after all.'

He prepares himself to take the brunt of any aggressive magic and does his best to watch the brawl only. His senses trained on the shadows as he does his best to count heads and keep track of where everyone is. He watches to see if anyone slips away...

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot: (1d20+5)[10]

23. - Top - End - #263

HalflingRangerGuy

Alkitho scrutinizes the Cardinals face but detects no sign of malice. She does detect a hint of satisfaction, clearly he is not unhappy to hear this news. "So why then have you come? Do you think I might be a target as well?" His face goes ashen as he realizes his own life may be in danger.

------

Captain Alastair and Velgram Linntorm charge into the House of chance. "Belay this folly on the double!" The massive half-orc booms. The combatants sheath any weapons and stand down. "What is the meaning of this?" The captain demands.

-----

Suddenly Skitter runs out of the Ambassador's room in a mad dash. Grasped in two claw-like appendages he seems to be tugging on a golden necklace with a bright green gem set in its seat. Before you can get a good look at it however he "skitters" off down the hall in the direction Curiosity took to the House of Chance, the gem at the end of the golden chain bounces and rattles on the wooden floor as he drags it behind.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Orc in the Playground

"I wouldn't know," Alkitho replies, coolly. "Never hurts to be careful, though." Inwardly, she is furious at the Bethenade's satisfaction at hearing of a Karrn's death, but she knows better than to antagonize Thrane's Ambassador to Breland. "Let's go," she says to Colonel Henry.

In the hallway, Alkitho turns to Henry and suggests, "Let's go talk to the goblins." She heads towards the House of Chance once again, and walks into yet another confrontation. This one seems to have broken out into open violence before it was defused. Alkitho takes up a position next to Captain Alastair, intending to back him up with her presence.

25. - Top - End - #265

"I would recommend that your guards stay alert, but you yourself need not worry too much. If you see anything further, or have any further requirements, do let us know. We are, after all, here to ensure your safety."
    Sir Henry then follows Akitho.

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy to reassure the Cardinal: (1d20+22)[42]
    Current Characters:

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ettin in the Playground

Rauhiss sees the creature run out the room with a strange necklace in its claws.
    Hey, mate, lemme see that

He reached for the necklace, but the creature evaded his grasp and ran down the hall

Hey, get back here! Where are you going? Stupid spider!

Rauhiss turned to Baiorn

Look, Dwarf, you just stay with tha body, They can bring it to tha' cargo hold if they want, but make sure you go with 'em. I'm going to make sure that necklace gets to Curiosity safely, then i'll meet ya' down there

Rauhiss runs off after the spider thief.

Spoiler
    Show
    A spider thief has a run speed of 20, and I have a speed of 30, so I should be able to keep up with it easily. All I want to do is keep it in my sights until we reach Curiosity, to make sure the necklace isn't compromised on the way.
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2013-10-23 at 08:14 AM.

27. - Top - End - #267

HalflingRangerGuy

"I am sorry captain, I am the cause of this tussle. This dirty goblin stole my missives, and I reacted...er...poorly." The man responds "I am Logar Vericrosst, a currier for house Orien. I carry the messages with me everywhere I go to assure their safety. I had them just before this greenskin drenched me, and then they were gone. Give them back you Rat!" He begins to nurse a growing bump and cut on his head.

"Violence, for any reason will not be tolerated. Return to your quarters Logar." He points to two of the Medani guard. "You two, assure Mr. Vericrosst remains confined to his stateroom until we reach Stormreach."

Fury flashes across Logar's face but quickly fades. "I will comply, Captain, but I demand in the name of House Orien, that you find my correspondence and punish this goblin!"

"I am the Captian of this vessel, sir. You may 'demand' nothing of me! Take him away!" The Medani guards jump to and escort the Orien currier to his stateroom. Captain Alistair turns to Curiosity and Alkitho, the look on his face betrays the request you know he is about to make of you.

"Please do your best to get to the heart of this matter. Be thorough, but discreet. I have no desire to face the wrath of House Orien. The Medani guards are far to keen on proving themselves after the party. They can not handle this matter." Another flash of lightning is followed immediately by a booming clash of thunder, the ship lists and you have to readjust to avoid loosing your footing. The Captain's face hardens, and you can see he is clearly under a great deal of stress. "Please excuse me. I am needed on the Bridge."

As he leaves skitter rushes in followed by Rauhiss. He runs up Curiosity's leg and presents the necklace to him before retiring to his embedded nest.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Orc in the Playground

Alkitho follows Captain Alastair as he heads towards the Bridge. When she is reasonably certain that they are out of earshot of any potential eavesdroppers, she asks, "Cap'n, yesterday, when the hobgoblins tried to take over the ship, you were using a crystal ball in the Bridge. Do you think I could use that, to try to solve both of the...problems I'm working on?"

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Spot check to avoid being followed/eavesdropped on: (1d20+6)[8]

29. - Top - End - #269

HalflingRangerGuy

The captain hesitates at your question "The scrying device is limited to the ship and the immediate area surrounding it. I don't see how it will be of any assistance, and it is needed for operations. How long will it take? What are you hoping to find?"

30. - Top - End - #270
    Orc in the Playground

"I was hoping to listen in on a few of the...uh...suspects. I know that sort of thing isn't usually allowed, but considering the circumstances..." Alkitho is not an eloquent speaker, but she hopes that the Captain's obvious anxiety about this voyage going better than his last one will lead him to bend the rules for her. "I don't know how long it'll take. I don't want to mess with the ship flying, of course. Maybe just a quick look?"