New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

View Poll Results: I prefer... (a la mode critique)

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Elfwood

0 0%
  • Pretty Pretty Princess

1 3.85%
  • Giantitp

16 61.54%
  • Dndorks

1 3.85%
  • Bob and George

0 0%
  • Errant Story

1 3.85%

0 0%
  • AMD

3 11.54%
  • Slightly Damned

0 0%
  • Something Awful

4 15.38%
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default The Merits of Criticism

I prefer...

I think this subforum is approaching Pretty Pretty Princess levels (I made it up, didn't have a name. Maybe the forums for Civilization). Critique is like outlawed, nearly.
    What can critique do to us? We 'm still love it right? Our love for the art can take it, right?
    Last edited by Moechi_Vill; 2006-12-24 at 04:27 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: The Merits of Criticism

Hmm? Last time I checked people are not afraid to voice their opinions, however non-mainstream these may be. In fact people go "I love Erfworld" and "I hate Erfworld" all over the forums in roughly equal amounts. Am I missing something?

3. - Top - End - #3

Nah, this was a bit over the top. It almot feels like Sinfest the way people hack down on anything stereotyped.

What I noticed is that if people say 'this is bad' without specifying personal ops then other people get angry and tell them not to involve themselves if they've only negative things to say. Might this have something to do with the whole 'you're not a fan, so there' attitude? I haven't seen people with positive opinions make disclaimers all the time either though. :)

Mmmmyes, u're right.

Erfworld is fantastic but I think it could stand some assimilation of constructive criticism nonetheless.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

What you're probably witnessing is a backlash against posts like "OMG Erfworld is a pile of sh*te. The author must be a retarded monkey and the artist obviously has no hands. Anyone who reads this is an idiot.". A similar twist to this is the more familiar "Yeah... I've read a few pages and its not OotS. That makes it crap and I'll never read it again."

The vehement hatred that some users apparently have for Erfworld, perhaps because it dares sully the same webspace as OotS, is something that I find somewhat astounding. I don't need Nietzsche to point out that its inevitable that such posts will solidify the opinion of those that do like the comic and who are pained by people insulting it, its creators and its readers. That some people believe its somehow acceptable to do the latter because "its my opinion" cannot help either.

Incidentally, with the exception of GitP, I have no idea what any of the above options are.
    The Omnians were a God-fearing people. They had a great deal to fear.
    -Terry Pratchett

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, AMD is a CPU-maker, so I'll pick that!
    (<_<)

There isn't really any vehement hatred of Erfworld, just a tremendous sense of dissapointment that is common among a few.
    (Does 'few' undermine my use of the word 'tremendous'?)

I can't recall any excessively negative posts, though there are the scant few obligatory ones (the same thing happens to virtually everything newly released. However, though there's a significant difference between "I've read a few pages and its not OotS" and "I've read a few pages and its not as enjoyable as OotS", and one that's not immediately obvious given there's only three more words in the latter, so I imagine that many of them (and their general sentiment) are misinterpreted as supporting a more extreme view than they are.

That said, the backlash is in the same boat. The excessive opinions are few in either direction.
    But it only takes two people to form a conspiracy, and people are more likely to remember a negative, conflicting view than they are to remember a positive, helpful view or a neutral, unconcerned view.
    Belkar's Bad to the Bone.
    Dispossible a fetter hein and bemay kine a sinder's tock.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

I don't have an objection to people not liking it; I'm not a huge fan of it at this point, either.

I'm just annoyed by people who are saying "It sucks" when what they mean is "I don't like it."
    The Cranky Gamer
    Nexx's Hello
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *"I" is an English pronoun in the nominative case of first person singular. It does not indicate the actions or writings of anyone but the first person, singular.
    *Tataurus, you have three halves as well as a race that doesn't breed. -UglyPanda
    *LVDO ERGO SVM

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

I don't understand the question.

But SA FTW!
    <Rexatar
    Spoiler
    Show

Fiscal Mereor, by NecroPaladin.

Spoiler
    Show

Kyrian, describing my very own Fourth Empire...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyrian View Post
    ...god damned moron organizations full of morons...

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Tormsskull View Post
    Even better. Boy from Turkey and girl from UK wake up in Vegas married to one another. We'll call it Dude, Where's My Country?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Am I missing something?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drakuul View Post
    Am I missing something?
    Yes you are...dont ask me what it is because I missed it too but apparently yes we are missing something.
    In memory of lord Shojo

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Om View Post
    What you're probably witnessing is a backlash against posts like "OMG Erfworld is a pile of sh*te. The author must be a retarded monkey and the artist obviously has no hands. Anyone who reads this is an idiot.". A similar twist to this is the more familiar "Yeah... I've read a few pages and its not OotS. That makes it crap and I'll never read it again."

The vehement hatred that some users apparently have for Erfworld, perhaps because it dares sully the same webspace as OotS, is something that I find somewhat astounding. I don't need Nietzsche to point out that its inevitable that such posts will solidify the opinion of those that do like the comic and who are pained by people insulting it, its creators and its readers. That some people believe its somehow acceptable to do the latter because "its my opinion" cannot help either.

Incidentally, with the exception of GitP, I have no idea what any of the above options are.
    Yes, I botched the poll options. Bad me. :( oh well
    the main message got through. So there has been a few real skirmishes.. thnx for the heads-up.

Yes, 'few' undermines 'tremendous'. Try putting it in front of tremendous, that way it seems like a quantifier rather then whitewash - possibly. Good post.

Thank you all for all your input and I'm glad if not grateful I didn't get flamed for such a vague product. Not that I shouldn't maybe take it for granted, but I'm still ... glad. :) Thank you.
    Last edited by Moechi_Vill; 2006-12-26 at 10:21 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Demented View Post
    I can't recall any excessively negative posts, though there are the scant few obligatory ones
    There's been a good few. Check out the OotS/Erfworld poll in the OotS forum for some choice gems. Unfortunately the likes of "Erf world is stupid " were not nearly the worst of the posts. The origin of the Erfworld Idiot badges came from a post that suggested that both the creators and anyone who likes the comic were actually idiots.

Personally I can't understand it. No one has a problem with someone thinking that the comic "sucks" but there seems to be no shortage of those willing to put the boot in with additional barbs.
    The Omnians were a God-fearing people. They had a great deal to fear.
    -Terry Pratchett

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Om View Post
    No one has a problem with someone thinking that the comic "sucks" but there seems to be no shortage of those willing to put the boot in with additional barbs.
    Yeah. Lots of people don't find the comic funny or find it annoying or don't like the art or can't follow the story and say so and that's fine, but the people who as well as saying that they don't like it start getting rude or dismissive get my goat rather...