New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Industrial Urban Fantasy 3.5 IC

The young woman and middle aged man that appear seem somewhat taken aback by Lance's outburst. The woman pauses for a moment, "Well, very well. I suppose we can do that." She glances at the man, as if for guidance, and he nods, "Certainly. But I must ask, how is it that you came to be here?" The woman moves toward Efan, "Er, do you require assistance?"

2. - Top - End - #602
    Ettin in the Playground

"Thank you," Efan says, pushing off of Kevorak and leaning heavily on the woman. He leaves it to Lance to answer the rest of the questions.

3. - Top - End - #603
    Titan in the Playground

Lance blinks as if in confusion. Why, we heard rumors of your services all around the city. I admit, I didn't believe them at first, but when the worst happened, well, desperate times. A nice guard outside let us in and gave us a hint on where to find the door--it took us so long to find it, I'd begun to worry.

But now that we've found you, we can finally get my poor friend patched up.
    He gives a pitiful glance to Efan before looking back to the man, waiting for him to move further into the corridor first.

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy: (1d20+30)[48]
    Bluff (with Glibness): (1d20+52)[63]
    Saber avatar courtesy of Prime32

4. - Top - End - #604
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The woman shifts slightly to accommodate Efan's weight, then helps him along. The man seems to weigh Lance's words, as if unsure whether to be concerned or not. After a moment, he says, simply, "Well, we can certainly help with that." With that statement, he begins leading the group down the hall.

Spoiler
    Show
    If you two are content to follow along until you reach your destination, just post here or OOC, and I'll make my next post.

5. - Top - End - #605
    Ettin in the Playground

Efan nods gratefully and tries to maintain an open expression as he follows along, keeping his hand still so it doesn't unconsciously stray to the spot where his bow usually is.

6. - Top - End - #606
    Titan in the Playground

Lance smiles gratefully and follows behind, expression the picture of relief. Kevorak also follows, face stoic as ever.

7. - Top - End - #607
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

As the group progresses, the hallway begins to slant downward, though not enough so to make walking difficult. After a few minutes of walking, it opens up into a high ceilinged room, with a large chandelier holding several candles hanging down from above, illuminating the area in dim, shadowy light. Off to the left side of the room, a section is curtained off. Another hallway leads off from the far side of the chamber and a wooden door sits in the middle of the right wall. It is to this door that the man gestures, while speaking to Efan, "Just inside that door. Go in there and lay down. There's a magic in the room to make you sleep, so that our doctors can treat you without difficulty. They'll be along in a moment." Efan notices a bead of sweat on the man's brow as he speaks, though the room is not particularly warm.
    Last edited by GameSpawn; 2014-11-23 at 09:32 PM.

8. - Top - End - #608
    Ettin in the Playground

"May my companion remain with me?" Efan asks. "I've never done anything like this before, and that was why he came with me, after all." He puts a hand on the doorknob, gripping it a little too tightly.

9. - Top - End - #609
    Titan in the Playground

I must insist that I remain by his side, Lance says, voice still amicable but firm. I promised to keep an eye on him, and though we're trusting you to heal him, that trust only goes so far. I do hope you understand.

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy: (1d20+30)[32]

10. - Top - End - #610
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Er...well." the man replies, "I don't know exactly how the magic works, but the doctors have always asked the patient be alone before. I don't think it's wise to go against their wishes. Of course, if we can offer you any token of insurance, that you will return to us when your companion returns healed, we will gladly do so."

11. - Top - End - #611
    Ettin in the Playground

"Ah." Efan sighs. "That's too bad. Maybe he could wait just here, outside the door? Speak to the doctors when they come, perhaps?"

12. - Top - End - #612
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, I would greatly like to speak with the doctors before they begin the procedure. It would put me at much ease.

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy: (1d20+30)[36]

13. - Top - End - #613
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Oh yes, certainly, that's quite reasonable," the man replies. He smiles at Efan, as if waiting for him to enter.

14. - Top - End - #614
    Ettin in the Playground

"Very well," Efan says, eyeing the door. "With luck, I will return as a whole man." He turns the knob and steps into the room.

15. - Top - End - #615
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The room Efan enters is small, about 20 ft. by 40 ft., and similar to the previous room and hallway in construction. There's some sort of table at the far end, with various markings on it, and a single torch on the wall bathes the room in dim light. After Efan moves through the door, it drifts shut behind him, as if the room is on a slight incline.

Moments after moving through the door, Efan smells the scent of blood. An unsettling feeling suddenly fills him, and he filled with the sensation of trying to recollect a nightmare, only to have it fade from his mind. The sensation is not unlike the one he felt in the garden just days ago.

Spoiler
    Show
    Will Save: (1d20+11)[14] (is that still correct? It looks like you didn't update your character sheet on leveling.) If that's right, you become Shaken.

Also, since this is referencing something that happened two days ago in game, but almost a year ago in real time, you might want to read some of the old posts, starting with #229 on page 8.
    Last edited by GameSpawn; 2014-11-26 at 09:27 PM.

16. - Top - End - #616
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Before Efan can react, he feels the creature's touch, calling to him, telling him to sleep.

Spoiler
    Show
    Will Save: (1d20+9)[22] (including shaken penalty).

He shakes it off, remaining awake and alert.
    Last edited by GameSpawn; 2014-11-26 at 11:57 PM.

17. - Top - End - #617
    Ettin in the Playground

Luckily, I come from a long line of insomniacs, Efan thinks. He glances around the room, muttering a word under his breath in the guttural Aelfin language. "Lance, could you come in here?" he calls, voice sounding strained, but keeping a lid on his panic for now.

Spoiler
    Show
    Activating Vision of the Omniscient Eye for +10 Spot. It's +40 Hide for being invisible, right?

Spot - (1d20+40)[52]

18. - Top - End - #618
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

As he brushes off the creatures touch, Efan notices something. In the area immediately in front of him, and just slightly to his left, the light is a little off, like the ripples in the air over hot pavement, giving away the presence of something.

19. - Top - End - #619
    Titan in the Playground

If Lance hadn't been suspicious before (which he definitely was), his doubts were confirmed when he heard Efan's strained voice. The proud man wouldn't call for help unless something were wrong, but Lance doesn't want to leave the two strangers unattended.

Kev, go to the door and toss our friend his tools. From his tone, I fear he may no longer be alone in that room and may be in need of assistance.

Before the other two can argue, Lance begins to sing--a soulful, enchanting tune that beckons the two to sit awhile and listen. Kevorak is unaffected, and simply walks over to the door, slipping his backpack off to prepare to throw Efan's bow into the room.

Spoiler
    Show
    Fascinate ability, using Subsonics to limit the sound to just those two: Perform check becomes the Will DC: (1d20+28)[43] It's mind-affecting, enchantment (compulsion) effect.

Spoiler: Open if Fascinate would not work
    Show
    If the situation would preclude Fascinate being able to work (because they're too on edge, or because they know the demon is in the other room and are alert), the following happens instead:

With a trilling vocalization that ends abruptly, Lance exerts his will upon the man with a Hold Person spell (DC 20 Will save to resist). He then says, Kev, go to the door and toss our friend in his tools. From his tone, I fear he may no longer be alone in that room and may be in need of assistance.

As Kevorak moves towards the door, Lance says to the woman, I must ask you to not move, miss. I would hate to have to kill you. A bit drastic sounding, yes, but it's not like he means it--and if it scares her into immobility, all the better.

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff: (1d20+52)[70] (assuming Glibness is still in effect)
    Intimidate: (1d20+14)[23], hoping for a bonus from the bluff. And as a tangent, why isn't Intimidate on the Bard class skill list? It makes sense, jeez.

20. - Top - End - #620
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Efan feels the touch of the creature once more, but his natural resistance keeps it at bay.

The man and woman turn to Lance, following his music with rapt attention, and make no move to stop Kevorak as he opens the door Efan had gone through just a moment before.

21. - Top - End - #621
    Titan in the Playground

To the woman, who is closer to Kevorak, a voice speaks softly to her, Why don't you close your eyes, to fully experience the music?

As Lance is Suggesting this, Kevorak takes out the bow and tosses it to Efan, before closing the door. The goliath had not been able to see anything to fight, and trusts the archer to take care of it now that he has his trusty bow.

Spoiler
    Show
    Suggestion Bardic Music ability on the woman to close her eyes; not an unreasonable request. Will DC 23 to resist.

Ranged touch attack to land the bow in Efan's square: (1d20+9)[24] with any range penalties you figure it should have.

22. - Top - End - #622
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The woman nods absently in response to Lance and obediently closes her eyes. When Kevorak passes the bow to Efan, neither man nor woman responds, and Efan catches his bow, if not gracefully.

23. - Top - End - #623
    Ettin in the Playground

Energy sparks in the air as Efan releases a barrage of arrows, lancing through the air like lightning bolts towards the ripples he detected in the square.

Spoiler
    Show
    Full attacking with Rapid Shot.

Attack 1:
    Miss Chance: (1d100)[54]
    Attack Roll: (1d20+22)[32]
    Damage: (2d6+26)[35]

Attack 2:
    Miss Chance: (1d100)[46]
    Attack Roll: (1d20+22)[23]
    Damage: (2d6+26)[36]

Attack 3:
    Miss Chance: (1d100)[1]
    Attack Roll: (1d20+17)[37]
    Damage: (2d6+26)[34]

Attack 4:
    Miss Chance: (1d100)[40]
    Attack Roll: (1d20+12)[26]
    Damage: (2d6+26)[36]

24. - Top - End - #624
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Though Efan's first bolt flies clear, the rest of his barrage apparently hit something, as they're stopped in midair. Following his attack, the aura of the creature fades from the room.

25. - Top - End - #625
    Ettin in the Playground

Efan walks over to the door and hands the bow back to Kevorak. Seeing the entranced strangers, he speaks in a low voice to Lance. "It was another of those bastard demons, the like of the one that sent Kev to sleep in the park. I think I sent it back to hell, but it might just be biding its time. I think I should wait in the room for the doctors and pretend everything's normal, see what they do, but it might be dangerous. Can you make these traitors forget what happened?"

26. - Top - End - #626
    Titan in the Playground

Listening intently to the bowman as he concentrates on his performance, Lance gives a short nod. With another Suggestion, he requests that the man close his eyes as well.

Weaving spells within his music, he attempts to charm them before erasing their memories of the past few dozen seconds. He gestures for Efan to go back into the room, waiting for him to go before ending his performance.

Yell if you need us, Kevorak says softly as he takes the bow back begrudgingly and stores it. He doesn't like their friend going into potential dangerous territory unarmed yet again.

Spoiler
    Show
    Charm Person on both (Melodic Casting lets me cast while using Bardic Music); Will DC 19 to resist.

Modify Memory on each to negate the memory of the Fascination--will take about 4 rounds total or so. Will DC 22. I'll burn another Bardic Music use of Fascinate to keep them focused if I have to.

27. - Top - End - #627
    Ettin in the Playground

"I will," Efan replies, and heads back into the room. He moves over to the table, to examine the markings he couldn't see clearly before, and stands next to it until someone enters the room.

28. - Top - End - #628
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The man closes his eyes in response to Lances request, but when he attempts to charm the woman her eyes pop open, "What are you doing?", she asks softly, still focusing on Lance.

29. - Top - End - #629
    Titan in the Playground

Without missing a beat or showing even a hint of surprise, Lance smiles and sings, I'm singing to keep my friend calm while he waits in the room, all by himself. I can only imagine how nervous he is right now while he waits. As he continues singing actual lyrics, he hopes that Efan can get the hint to get back into the room and close the door. He also lays a Suggestion to her into the song: focus only on me, and nothing else.

Kevorak looks between Lance and the woman nervously, unsure whether to try to hide Efan or distract her. In the end the goliath shifts his eyes from Efan to the door and back, as if trying to help but not doing much.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perform (Sing) to sing that bit, even if it's dialogue (not really necessary, but still): (1d20+28)[29] (good thing I wasted the natural 1 on that)
    Bluff to lie to her: (1d20+52)[55]
    Bluff to send a secret message across to Efan (DC 15 or 20, depending on complexity): (1d20+22)[32]
    The Suggestion Will DC is 23
    Last edited by Thokk_Smash; 2014-12-19 at 01:57 AM.

30. - Top - End - #630
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The markings aren't especially meaningful to Efan, but as he examines them, he notices that the table can rotate around one point on the outside edge, allowing it to swing "open", if he so chooses.

The woman nods at Lance's lie, then stares at him intently as she falls under his suggestion. She begins nodding her head in time to the music.