New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Industrial Urban Fantasy 3.5 IC

Lifting his eyes upward while holding his tongue, Efan rises in a few moments, walking reverently towards the fist until he is directly behind the man who made the gesture. His keen eyes sweep across the worshiper's garments, calculating the wearer's likely employment.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot: (1d20+31)[48]

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Lance's eyes widen and brows furrow at the man's surname, but a quick and firm squeeze of Kevorak's hand stops the veritable onslaught of words that had almost begun, mostly pertaining to the man's brother's integrity and choice of sexual partners.

Taking his large friend's unsubtle hint, Lance shakes the man's hand and gives a big smile. Pleased to meet you, Norry. I've heard of your brother, but only in passing; you must be the brother that works behind the scenes, huh? he asks with a little wink.

As for why I'm here, it's the political climate, mostly. It'll make for one hell of a story down the road, wouldn't you say? And to have firsthand experiences with the happenings would only make the story that much better. And since I'll be the one telling it, that'll make it the best tale ever told, he ends with a confident smirk, lounging back in his seat.

And what of you? Your brother sits on the city council; what is it that you do, Norry?

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff to cover up his slight emotional slip-up: he's got Wisdom 9, so sometimes he thinks before he speaks. Good thing Kevorak knows him so well: (1d20+22)[32]

Diplomacy (not really trying to make him do anything; just stay on his good side): (1d20+30)[47]

Gather information (perhaps modified by the Diplomacy check?): (1d20+11)[28]
    Last edited by Thokk_Smash; 2013-10-03 at 11:54 PM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

While the two worshipers are dressed as common laborers from the coal mines, Efan notices that their clothes don't have any of the grime one would expect from such a profession. Their boots, however, are covered with thick black dirt.

Ellwood doesn't seem to notice Lance's momentary slip. "Not so much that I work behind the scenes, as I work a different scene from my brother. While the common folk have heard much about him, I deal more closely with the business people of Badheim, making sure businesses are run safely, and not engaged in anything illegal. And what have you heard of my brother? I hope the commoners haven't poisoned your opinion of him." He smiles softly as he speaks, as if he knows some private joke.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Lance's eyes narrow at the man's last few sentences, but he keeps a friendly smile on his face. The image of Byron and Addison being accosted by the Hextorite springs to mind, but he easily sets it aside as he says, Oh, my opinion is clean as fresh-fallen snow, m'friend. He's a councilman, he sits on the town council; that's about the extent of my knowledge of your brother. Why would the commoners have reason to poison my mind?

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff: (1d20+22)[41]

Diplomacy: (1d20+30)[49]

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

Efan leans the slightest bit forwards, keeping his eyes on the fist, and whispers directly into the man's ear, "Why, brother. I do believe you are not concentrating fully on our divine savior's glory." Straightening, he directs his amber eyes back towards the ceiling and mouths the words to a few snatches of prayers.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Ellwood once again seems not to notice Lance's deception; he shrugs in response Lance's question, "Oh, you know. Some people are resentful of the council. They feel the council should be doing more to assist the citizens of Badheim. Never exactly clear how though. That's the problem. The council does it's best, of course, but there are plenty of other forces at work here. Of course, it helps to have powerful allies." He lowers his voice. "I do have one other task I sometimes do for the council: talent acquisition".

The first man says nothing, but when the current prayer ends, he nudges his companion, and the two get up to leave, moving towards the temple entrance, perhaps a touch too quickly, and they avoid coming too close to Efan. Although a few of the other devoted get up, most remain at their prayers.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

Efan trails behind, watching them and waiting, a hungry expression on his face.

Spoiler
    Show
    Trying to creep them out and make them nervous. Intimidate I guess? (1d20-2)[7]

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Lance raises an eyebrow. Talent to use for what purpose? he asks curiously.

Spoiler
    Show
    No real slip-ups, so take 10 Bluff for 32.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The two men from the temple glance back at Efan. Looking somewhat confused, they turn off the main street into an alleyway.

Ellwood smiles at Lance, but it never touches his eyes, "Well, all sorts of things really. There's so much that needs doing. Gathering information, spreading information, making sure the wrong information stays secret. All for the greater good, of course. Why? Are you worried about something?"
    Last edited by GameSpawn; 2013-10-08 at 12:43 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

Efan leaves off his pursuit with a knowing smile thrown the way of the men, returning to the temple. Stopping one of the stragglers, he asks politely about the layout of the building.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The person Efan speaks to looks at him curiously, but she doesn't say anything to indicate that his request is out of the ordinary, "Most of the temple isn't open to the public, myself included. I think the doors off the chapel lead to living quarters, or maybe some sort of storage."
    Last edited by GameSpawn; 2013-10-09 at 12:09 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

Efan thanks the woman and walks away. It seemed the temple of Hextor was not very welcoming of guests, but then he'd already known that. Might still be worth taking a look around, though. What's the worst that could happen? Whistling innocently, he re-enters the chapel, taking a quick glance around as he pushes through the door.

Spoiler
    Show
    How many people are left?

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Lance smiles easily, though it is not the type he would show to Gloria or Kev. No, this is the smile that he perfected growing up in his mansion at home: the smile of a politician. His smile does not reach his eyes either as he says, Worry? I feel no worry; do I have cause to be worried, Norry? He asks this with a small quirk of the lips, as if the thought of worry is nothing but a funny joke. I merely thought that, if one were searching for talent, then they must have a certain purpose to use that talent for. I was merely wondering what that purpose was, and what the asking price of that talent would be. He leans back, smile never wavering as he keeps his eyes firmly on the man next to him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff: (1d20+22)[29]
    Diplomacy: (1d20+30)[43]

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The temple is emptier than it was, though there's another of the black-armored priests. The temple is otherwise as Efan left it.

Ellwood keeps smiling, and speaks smoothly "There have been rumors of demon worship in Badheim recently. My brother and I have discovered that the roots of this foul practice lie within the temple of Hextor. I simply want to make sure the people of the city are well aware of this; the temple of Kord in particular needs to know, such that they can do that which they espouse."

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

Efan approaches the priest, gesturing towards the doors. "Might sir satisfy my curiosity and let me know what's through there? I am new to this temple, and am trying to get acquainted with the layout.

Spoiler
    Show
    Technically, not lying, but certainly leaving out some information, so if you'd like, Bluff: (1d20-2)[1]

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Lance opens his eyes in wide shock. Demon worship? Here? It seems like such a nice town, he says, nothing but surprise in his voice. I agree that the general populace should be told at once, but from what I've gathered the temple of Hextor is rather powerful in this city. Between all of the problems that the city is already facing, simply shouting from every street corner that they are dealing with demons would be ill-advised; an enraged temple of clerics is the last thing anyone needs. Of course, I'm sure men with you and your brother's intelligence have come up with a plan to reveal those responsible for what they truly are, right? His smile remains, but it again does not reach his eyes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy: (1d20+30)[45]
    Bluff: (1d20+22)[37]

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The priest looks at Efan with suspicion, "New in town? Those rooms are off limit to all but the servants of Hextor. That include you?" The question carries a hint of amusement, as if he thinks he already knows the answer.

For a moment, Ellwood looks genuinely surprised, but he regains his composure almost immediately. "The temple is large to be sure, but I doubt that all those who purport to serve Hextor are secretly demon-worshipers. Certainly the more faithful could be persuaded to defy their peers."
    Last edited by GameSpawn; 2013-10-11 at 05:51 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

"Oh, of course. Is there anything else I should know? Wouldn't want to be on you fellows' bad side, so early on." Efan smiles with amusement.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Lance nods his head in agreement. Oh, of course, of course, he says mollifyingly. But do you not know who is behind it? I think I do.

He motions for the other man to come closer, and Lance leans in himself. Speaking softly, he says, In fact, I have it on good faith that the head priest of the temple of Hextor himself has been accused of being a demon worshipper. Quite openly, if my information is correct, and by one of the members of this very troupe. Do you know how that person came to know that information?

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff, to pretend I don't believe he and his brother are jerks who use others as proxies to do their dirty work: (1d20+22)[26]
    Diplomacy: (1d20+30)[45]
    Last edited by Thokk_Smash; 2013-10-11 at 09:00 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The priest stares at Efan for a moment then nods, "Very well. I'll show you around. Most of the priests will be returning later tonight." He turns, unlocks the door and leads Efan into a gloomy corridor. A set of gas lamps provide some illumination, but it remains shadowy. He gestures about as he speaks, "The entrance to the tower is that way, and the armory and ritual chambers are down below. What would you like to see.

Spoiler
    Show
    I rolled a bluff check for you offsite. In retrospect, I could have rolled it here, but didn't want to rework what happened if I got a different roll. You got 20 - 2 = 18.

Ellwood looks at Lance with some confusion."I had heard the same. But I thought you had not heard the rumors? Perhaps you can point me to this person after the show? I would very much like to acquaint myself with them."
    Last edited by GameSpawn; 2013-10-12 at 08:36 AM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Lance shrugs. Is it a rumor if one hears it from the source itself? he asks rhetorically. And after digging around some, I'm surprised that you don't know who the person is. After all, your brother is the one who told them to accuse the head priest of demon worship, is he not? He keeps his voice carefully devoid of judgment and fills it with honest curiosity.

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy: (1d20+30)[38]
    Bluff: (1d20+22)[27]

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

Efan blinks, surprised at his luck. He must have encountered the priest on a good day. But did worshipers of Hextor even have good days?

Still pondering this, he replies, "The ritual chambers? Is that where you make offerings to the glory of Hextor? I would be fascinated to view those, if I might be so daring."

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Ellwood smiles, "Did he? I suppose then that he'd be the source one should seek out. He does sometimes need to seek out allies that are not known to be associated with him. Perhaps he needs more discrete ones. I appreciate you bringing this to my attention."

The priest looks at Efan askance for a moment, then turns toward another door. "Certainly. Right this way." He leads Efan down a staircase. The ritual chambers are sparsely furnished, with low black stone benches at the edges and torches burning in the walls. In the center, an immense black statue of a figure in black spiked armor, holding a flail in one hand and a scourge in the other. It has small red gemstones for eyes, but is otherwise entirely black. The priest gestures toward it, "Beautiful isn't it?" Suddenly Efan hears, a muffled crash from further in. The priest doesn't appear to notice. "The other priests aren't here right now, but if you'd like to stay for tonight's service, you could meet them."

Spoiler
    Show
    A scourge being the weapon in Complete Warrior; it's a barbed whip with multiple tails.
    Last edited by GameSpawn; 2013-10-15 at 02:57 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

Magnificent." Efan jumps a little at the crash. "What was that?" he asks nervously. "Unfortunately I do not believe I can stay for the wvening service, but before I go if you could show me the rest of the temple I would be most grateful. You said the armory was down here as well?"

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The priest looks at Efan quizzically, "What was what?"

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

"The... crash?" Efan shakes the thought off. "Nevermind."
    Last edited by Plerumque; 2013-10-17 at 04:29 PM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Lance nods knowingly. Well, being new in town, I certainly am not associated with your brother, he says. And those worshipping demons should be stopped immediately before something terrible happens. I was thinking of looking into it sometime tomorrow; would you happen to have any advice as to where to being my search?

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy: (1d20+30)[47]

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Ellwood nods. "Of course. The temple of Hextor is where you should be looking. It's even possible some demons might get out in the night. You never know." He shrugs, as if to say there's no way of knowing. "Is there anything else you need?"

At the temple, the priest looks confused for a moment, but shakes it off, "As you say, brother; I'll show you the armory." He leads Efan down the hall, to a dimly lit room guarded by a pair of men in black leather, rather than the customary spiked armor of the priests. The priest nods to them, then unlocks the door, showing a vast array of weapons. Most of them are flails, whips, scourges, morning stars, and similar weapons, but there also swords, axes, and other traditional weaponry, polished to a gleam. As the priest gestures about, Efan catches a glimpse of movement, reflected in one of the blades.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

Efan expresses admiration at the weapons, but in a few minutes turns to the door he saw the figure go through. "If you don't mind me asking, sir, what's through there?"

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The priest glances back, "Oh that door? Mostly clerical vestments, holy symbols, the like. Standard issue for the novices. I'm sure you've seen their like thousands of times. There are a few more interesting items too; things we haven't had time to properly examine."