New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 49 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Default General WoD Discussion #3 Third time's the charm - No wait, that sounds too Exalted

Sigh, ah well, I'll write up a better title for our next discussion thread later. Now without further adieu, let's resume where we left off.

Archive: General Thread: #1: Assemble.
    General WoD Discussion #2: It's time to Celebrate!
    Last edited by ocel; 2013-09-15 at 11:35 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: General WoD Discussion #3 Third time's the charm - No wait, that sounds too Exalt

So, I really wanna play a Mummy game.

Not just any Mummy game, but one that goes from early Egypt to Modern Day.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: General WoD Discussion #3 Third time's the charm - No wait, that sounds too Exalt

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    So, I really wanna play a Mummy game.

Not just any Mummy game, but one that goes from early Egypt to Modern Day.

That's... ambitious...

Several sothic cycles, hundreds of times being raised by the Cult...

And I'm not sure how well it'd work... Mummy works best in modern day fleshed out with plenty of flashbacks methinks. Amnesia is a very central theme after all.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ocel View Post
    Sigh, ah well, I'll write up a better title for our next discussion thread later. Now without further adieu, let's resume where we left off.

Archive: General Thread: #1: Assemble.
    General WoD Discussion #2: It's time to Celebrate!
    Personally, I was fond of Rage Against the (God-)Machine.
    One Tin Pony avatar by Balmas

Current Projects: Dragon: the Inheritance

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by One Tin Soldier View Post
    Personally, I was fond of Rage Against the (God-)Machine.
    Funny story, actually. I was able to get ahold of 3rdTsTC-WNtTE!, and asked about the transition. I think they said.. Ah, here it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Third Time's The Charm – No Wait, That Sounds Too Exalted
    I had to do it, you see? I had to!

Rage against the (god) machine, he was... He wasn't real. He wasn't ever real. He was just a figment of our imaginations, man, holding us in tension. A replacement thread, sittin in my spaces, living my life, getting my words! Do you understand?

So I killed him.

I crept up, and when Rage went to pour some drinks, I smashed in his head. I just... I smashed it. Smashed... There were pieces everywhere. He laughed, he laughed at me. I came back, and he found me, bleeding and naked, and he wore my clothes, had my wife, visited my friends... Rage Against looked down on me, shivering and huddled while I grabbed at the cobblestones and pleaded for just... Just... For just scraps, man! Just for scraps is all! I wanted... Something. And... And he laughed.

Pieces of his skull everywhere... But I kept... I kept smashing. I could still hear him, laughing. Laughing in my head! I was crying, and that cobblestone... I don't remember it being so heavy, y'know? But, like, after it came down a fourth time, I couldn't raise it a fifth. So I took those pieces of his skill, only they were clean and white like something porcelain, and they moved, there was filigree like old black-and-white rotoscope cartoons on the side and they moved like tiny little worms... I took them and I buried them, down at the corner of Smith and Lane.

No one... No one's noticed. Not really. My wife still thinks I'm Rage Against, I guess. And my friends. They always want me to go out and do things I, me, would never do. And sometimes, sometimes, people... They look at me, right? And they get this look. With the eyebrows, like they're confused, disappointed... And they ask, "Where is Rage Against the (god) Machine?" And they smile, and I can hear that laugh again, and I bury Them at smith and Lane, right? I've still got that cobblestone...
    So, yeah. Uh, don't ask?
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2013-09-16 at 04:49 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

... I feel like my Clarity dropped by at least 3 points. And I'm a mortal.
    Quote Originally Posted by on Dwarf Fortress succession games
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarf Fortress 0.40.01 bugs
    - If an adventurer shouts and nobody is around to hear it, the game crashes
    - War Dogs appear to run from themselves in terror
    - New tree generation frequently causes birds to explode

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Funny story, actually. I was able to get ahold of 3rdTsTC-WNtTE!, and asked about the transition. I think they said.. Ah, here it is.

So, yeah. Uh, don't ask?
    Um, ok. I won't. Note to self: don't consult low-Integrity individuals about thread titles.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

So, yeah. Uh, don't ask?
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

So, yeah. Uh, don't ask?
    That story tastes like a lemon cracker....maybe with a bit of vanilla.

I wish I was joking.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by One Tin Soldier View Post
    Um, ok. I won't. Note to self: don't consult low-Integrity individuals about thread titles.
    Ouch XD

Quote Originally Posted by sktarq View Post
    That story tastes like a lemon cracker....maybe with a bit of vanilla.

I wish I was joking.
    Huh. I get the lemon vanilla, but the cracker part throws me. Ah well. Everyone's synesthesia is different.

Sorry about the Clarity, Musashi! D= guess that's the downside of GMC rules, outside stuff affects you...
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2013-09-17 at 10:38 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

So from a few pages back, there was the whole idea of a vampire propelling itself through space by vomiting blood, which I thought was an amusing mental image. Obviously the kind of thrust we were talking about was ludicrously high by RAW, so I decided to derive the "real" numbers. I don't have the book in question, so I figured it out like so:
    1. The Vampire weighs 72 kg "full" of blood.
    2. 1 Vitae is .71 L (the average human has 7 vitae of blood and the average human has 5 L of blood.
    3. Blood has a density of 1.06 kg/L, so we have .75 kg of blood per vitae.
    4. I figured the speed at which the blood is ejected is probably about the same as a sneeze, which is about 100 mph, or 44.5 m/s.
    5. Using this calculator, I plug in the numbers to discover that we have a Delta-V (change in velocity) of .47 m/s.

So the weight of the blood and the weight of the vampire are constants. How fast would the blood have to be ejected to accelerate your vampire up to 2 miles per second? Well, I ran the numbers, and it's just a little under 305,000 meters per second. Or, y'know, just about the speed of light.

This has been "Overthinking Vampire Physics". Please go about your business.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

What if you've got a young vampire who can still feed off animals? Most animals have significantly less Vitae than humans, so you could end up with more blood per Vitae, particularly if you nabbed a large animal, such as a hippo (Don't laugh; ghoul hippopotami are terrifying).
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Normally hippopotami are terrifying. I can't imagine being ghouled makes them any less scary/dangerous/ill-tempered.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Mopalot View Post
    So from a few pages back, there was the whole idea of a vampire propelling itself through space by vomiting blood, which I thought was an amusing mental image. Obviously the kind of thrust we were talking about was ludicrously high by RAW, so I decided to derive the "real" numbers. I don't have the book in question, so I figured it out like so:
    1. The Vampire weighs 72 kg "full" of blood.
    2. 1 Vitae is .71 L (the average human has 7 vitae of blood and the average human has 5 L of blood.
    3. Blood has a density of 1.06 kg/L, so we have .75 kg of blood per vitae.
    4. I figured the speed at which the blood is ejected is probably about the same as a sneeze, which is about 100 mph, or 44.5 m/s.
    5. Using this calculator, I plug in the numbers to discover that we have a Delta-V (change in velocity) of .47 m/s.

So the weight of the blood and the weight of the vampire are constants. How fast would the blood have to be ejected to accelerate your vampire up to 2 miles per second? Well, I ran the numbers, and it's just a little under 305,000 meters per second. Or, y'know, just about the speed of light.

This has been "Overthinking Vampire Physics". Please go about your business.
    I'm pretty sure that the "Speed 1" that the devotion lists is supposed to be character speed, not ship speed. So approximately .3 m/s. If anything, that sounds too slow for a supernatural power that you pay XP for.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

The real slap in the face of science, though, is the fact that that's your acceleration per use. Because there's no friction in space. Although I can understand not wanting to introduce vector physics into Vampire.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

And White Wolf was almost ready to unveil Catgirl: the Meowing too. Thanks Playground.
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    And White Wolf was almost ready to unveil Catgirl: the Meowing too. Thanks Playground.
    That would be an awesome game if they could actually devise a reason for it to exist.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

That would be an awesome game if they could actually devise a reason for it to exist.
    Maybe a fansplat? I know there are three that get semi-regular play on here, so clearly they can be successful.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

first we just have to figure out what horrible curse they are forever haunted by that makes their life a living hell.

something about catgirls dying to physics discussions? or something science-related….
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2013-09-20 at 12:32 AM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Whatever the fansplat might be, it needs to be compatible with Princess the Hopeful so there can be magical girl catgirls.

FUND IT.
    Rider avatar by Elder Tsofu

21. - Top - End - #21

Would Geniuses be their default antagonist?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Would Geniuses be their default antagonist?
    nope, Geniuses aren't really scientists either. their stuff breaks down in the presence of real science too remember? a normal person breaks down their stuff fast, but a scientist even faster.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Normally hippopotami are terrifying. I can't imagine being ghouled makes them any less scary/dangerous/ill-tempered.
    It definitely does. Ghouled animals become more placid and submissive until somebody angers their master.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Selrahc View Post
    It definitely does. Ghouled animals become more placid and submissive until somebody angers their master.
    And then your avatar was hilarious

25. - Top - End - #25
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    first we just have to figure out what horrible curse they are forever haunted by that makes their life a living hell.
    Mortals that come too close to them suffer severe mental degradation, to the point were they can just coo and babble in babytalk. This renders them incapable of interacting with mortal society except to get affirmations that they are SUCH A CUTE KITTY YES YOU ARE!
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Selrahc View Post
    Note to self: Ban Nosferatu from acquiring sewer-dwelling hippopotami ghouls.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    Mortals that come too close to them suffer severe mental degradation, to the point were they can just coo and babble in babytalk. This renders them incapable of interacting with mortal society except to get affirmations that they are SUCH A CUTE KITTY YES YOU ARE!
    ...That's actually exceedingly creepy, but at the same time, it makes three splats that have some kind of thing that makes them incapable of normal interactions with humanity.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

You could base it entirely on proximity.

Heck, it could work...
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Note to self: Ban Nosferatu from acquiring sewer-dwelling hippopotami ghouls.
    Note to self: Start ghouling honey badgers.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    You could base it entirely on proximity.

Heck, it could work...
    Still the question of if we want to do that, especially since it's pretty close to Leviathan, but yeah.