Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Minecraft Thread XII: Don't Kick the Bukkit

Terry576 made a very nice banner.
    Previous Threads:
    Ssssssss... Minecraft
    Minecraft Thread II: Just One More Block
    Minecraft Thread III: Zombie Pigs Eventually Forgives.
    Minecraft Thread IV:Life's A Birch And Then You Dye
    Minecraft Thread V: Don't fear the Creeper
    Minecraft Thread VI: All the Blocks Just Form this Way
    Minecraft Thread VII: Don't Blink
    Minecraft Thread VIII: Thank you, but our Princess is in another version!
    Minecraft Thread IX: Beginning of the End
    Minecraft Thread X: In the jungle, the mighty jungle, the ... SSSSSSSS
    Minecraft Thread XI: Jeb startled the Witch!
    This thread is by no means primarily for the server, it is for all things minecraft-related, it's just we tend to talk about the server a lot here. So come, be merry, and build amazing things.

Non Server Stuff
    Croverus is doing an LP by text of minecraft!

//__________________________________________________ ______________________
    //************************************************** *************

Main GitP Servers:
    TO BE WHITELISTED:
    add your name to this spreadsheet in the first column marked "MINECRAFT NAME HERE", AND make a post in the thread.

Main Server (1.6.4):
    "scuzzball.serveftp.com"
    Mods/Admin Software: The server is modded to add extra features, however, none of these require any client modding. Just downgrade to vanilla 1.5.2 (see below) and you're good to go.
    Details about the worlds:
    Spoiler
    Show
    *We have different types of worlds to accomodate different ways of playing Minecraft. They are organized into groups. The main group (/wg main or /wg survival or /wg 0) is standard survival. World list:
    --world: Our oldest world, and where you spawn. Set to peaceful.
    --terra: Mobs spawn here. The result of a merge of some other worlds.
    --release: Newest map with less stuff in it; uses the latest world generator.
    --nether: Old nether, with its stuff. Mobs are off.
    --nether2: New nether, with the latest world generator. Mobs are on.
    --There are also two end worlds, one for world and the other for terra.
    *We also have a creative group (/wg creative or /wg 1). Here, you have unlimited resources to build whatever. Also in this group is the world for Ironcraft. Nether portals in Ironcraft lead to creative and vice versa.
    *Our third group is hardcore (/wg hardcore or /wg 2). Here, all mods are disabled, and the difficulty is set to Hard.
    *Our final group is for roleplaying. Talk to Deme if you want to join the RP.

Beta Server (1.7.4):
    "scuzzball.serveftp.com:2382"
    Beta world details:
    Spoiler
    Show
    -All worlds whose names do not begin with "beta" are temporary copies of worlds from the main server. You may explore these worlds, however, any changes to them will be lost when we update. Even though your changes will be lost, please do not grief these worlds so that other people can explore them. On the final day before the copies are deleted, we will have a grief day and you can go nuts.
    -Most other worlds are fairly self-explanatory. Creative of course has a separate inventory; you may travel to creative with /wg 1, and back to survival with /wg 0 (your position in each is saved whenever you leave the group)

Server Rules
    General rules to follow while on the server.
    Spoiler
    Show

1. Don't be a ****
    2. Swearing is censored(Cause it was easier to do than not, not that it was ever a problem)
    3. Don't steal peoples stuff
    4. Don't break stuff that isn't yours
    5. Use common sense

Rules for the section of the server that is RPTown:
    Spoiler
    Show

1. The setting is fantasy, after a dragon attacks our ship, causes it to wreck, and leaves our characters stranded. Certain steampunk elements (jukeboxes, TNT, minecarts) are allowed, of course.
    2. There are no classes, but most characters do have jobs and specific skills as a result of their backgrounds. Use your own discretion.
    3. Characters should be tied to skins, but the character's name should be used in description whenever possible, as well.
    4. Keep RP things within the RPtown area, please. This includes grudges and so on.
    5. There is no commitment here -- play when you want to, go build and explore elsewhere when you don't. Easy enough, right?
    6. RP should be surrounded by quotes. Dialogue can simply go inside the quotes, and extra description and action are to be within asteriks inside the quotes, to make it clear to people not inside the RP. This is a good way to use names. "Like this, you see? *Deme shuts her book and waves it* I hope that's clear."
    7. Bringing objects is limited at first, except for building materials it would be hard or impossible to get on the landmass, but are still good for characters, like brick or mossy cobble.
    8. However, when a character starts, they can bring a few objects and tools appropriate to the character, for fun's sake. These are objects like tools and items, appropriate to their background -- the things they may have had in what bags they could grab *quickly* or on their person. Again, use your own judgement.
    9. PVP = A-OK. Destroying structures or stealing items, on the other hand will require advance permission from the victim and will require in-story justification, not just for lulz. Otherwise, it shall be declared griefing.
    10. If you want to temporarily "break character" and build a labrynth or a temple of doom to serve as an adventure, feel free. This can apply for groups as well.
    11. If you need people to play special monsters or NPCs for your plot, ask around -- you don't have to (and probably shouldn't) reveal too much until you have some takers, and then, mainly to those who need to know.
    12. The ability to re-spawn after death is a new, strange, magical ability that only happened after the wreck. The characters wouldn't know it at first. The same, of course, applies to the monsters that fester up from the ground after dark...
    13. When building in RPtown, be sensible. Obey whatever laws of physics apply to your character or building materials, be respectful of others' spaces. Unlike regular minecraft, these buildings have to make sense in an IC way.
    14. Most importantly, have fun. Be curious and adventurous and not afraid to bruise the apples with chaos and conflict a little.

In case of Griefing
    If you have been or think you have been or think someone else has been griefed, PM Saposhiente and HeavensAngel describing the site and saying what server(main/beta), world, and coordinates the griefing is at (you can use /getpos in game).

IronCraft
    IronCraft is a Minecraft building competition in the spirit of Iron Chef.

Do not build in the Ironcraft world unless you are a current contestant, a judge, or the chairman (forbiddenwar)

Rules are:
    Teams consist of no more than 6 players.
    Build only with the materials provided to you by the chairman, admin or mod
    Build only within set boundary for each team.
    Violating rules will result in disqualification

PEOPLE TO CONTACT WHEN SERVER BREAKS
    Sapo Saposhiente
    Memnarch memnarch
    Scuzzball Scuzzball sdafeds

//************************************************** *************

Going to an earlier version (1.6.4) of minecraft:
    In the new launcher, in the lower left, go to "New Profile", then under "Use version" select "release 1.6.4". You can now use this profile to run 1.6.4.
    Video tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXVdq1MMruc
    The beta server requires version 1.7.4, follow the same instructions but for that version instead.
    Last edited by Saposhiente; 2014-05-20 at 12:19 AM.

Technical Admin of the Minecraft server. Whitelist is here; put your name there and post it in the thread.
    The overly long monstrosity that is my extended signature lies here.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Grue Bait View Post
    Good game, guys. Sapo, you are just too good for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Rainy Knight View Post
    And by the way, your puzzle was one of the most interesting ones I've solved in a while. Kudos.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Minecraft Thread XII: Don't Kick the Bukkit

Server is up for me now.
    What? Subscribing to threads? Ridiculous! :p
    Last edited by The Underlord; 2013-09-15 at 09:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon
    The Underlord, you are clearly awesome.
    Current avatar by TinyMushroom
    Online gaming stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Steam profile: Triginomicon
    Smite IGN:JoJoMCFroYo

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saposhiente View Post
    Going to an earlier version (1.5.2) of minecraft:
    In the new launcher, in the lower left, go to "New Profile", then under "Use version" select "release 1.5.2". You can now use this profile to run 1.5.2.
    It was implied that someone wanted a video on how to do this, so here you go.
    Last edited by OracleofWuffing; 2013-09-15 at 09:13 PM. Reason: fix tags
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Domochevsky View Post
    So... wouldn't it be more prudent then to do a snapshot server instead? Vanilla as it comes, but definitely gonna catch the people who want to be on the bleeding edge of MC and play around with everything new in it.
    I wasn't suggesting doing anything until 1.7 is released. And I don't see it so much as wanting to attract bleeding edge people as not loosing peoples interest by being months out of date.

A new map does grab peoples attention, at least for a while, we saw it with both HC1 and HC2. So I think a new map and the new version would reinvigorate the server, and keeping up to date might keep people playing, at least in bursts with each major update.

Given that there's no consensus maybe we should just try it and make the call as to whether or not we need mods when bukkit catches up.

Also, when the worldgen isn't in flux and given a few days delay to avoid badly broken builds, I'd be in favor of going with snapshots.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

To be honest, one of the main reasons why I never really got into playing on the server regularly was that I didn't really know what other people had done on purpose, and so I felt like I had to leave everything just as I found it, which wasn't a particularly good sentiment for, you know, mining and crafting.

I'm not really sure a new server would help with that, though, as while there would be more untouched area, it still wouldn't necessarily be readily identifiable.

6. - Top - End - #6

NecromancerGuy

I've always just traveled a few km in a random direction and after a minute or two of not finding anything, called it mine

I totally see where you're coming from tho, when I was new to the server, I accidentally destroyed someone's tree by their house because I needed wood and I thought it was just a random tree... in spawn... in site of the portals...
    Long-form Sig

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Ahh... gotta love that 'new thread' smell.

In other news, donkeys and mules are surprising useful. Give 'em a chest and they can store stuff for you. You can make them into mobile staging areas. Leave them upstairs with a Lead attached to a Fencepost to keep them there. Fill up their inventories until full. Then grab all the leads and go back home with ALL the loots. Very efficient and low-tech, all you need is the iron for the leads. You could possibly do this before your first major caving expedition.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Mod Talk: Bees are less difficult, but more annoying than I was initially led to believe. Why? Because I kept losing Majestic. I lost it three times before it stuck long enough to get me industrial.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    Mod Talk: Bees are less difficult, but more annoying than I was initially led to believe. Why? Because I kept losing Majestic. I lost it three times before it stuck long enough to get me industrial.
    What's the point of bees anyway?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post
    What's the point of bees anyway?
    renewable resources
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

DrowGirl

And beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees.

Bees are fun to mess around with, and relaxing imo.
    "I'm just going on motive and opportunity here and the fact that if the earth got swallowed by a black hole, I'd look suspiciously in your direction first."
    ~ Timberwolf

"I blame Castaras. You know... In general."
    ~ KuReshtin

"Castaras - An absolutely adorable facade that hides a truly ruthless streak."
    ~ The Succubus

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

except when they start clogging up your storage system when a quarry hits a bunch of hives
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

I would start playing if we had 1.7 when it comes out, or snapshots, and a new world. I don't really think I will ever have interest in playing on a version that far behind.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Legoshrimp View Post
    I would start playing if we had 1.7 when it comes out, or snapshots, and a new world. I don't really think I will ever have interest in playing on a version that far behind.
    Same here, really.

(Also, I got no interest in bees. Way too unreliable and hard to set up for any use. >_> )
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    except when they start clogging up your storage system when a quarry hits a bunch of hives
    That only happens if you have Extra Bees installed, and even then, those bees generally have some purpose (some of the best traits can come from Stony Bees).
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16

a purpose only to those that bother sinking the time into making them work
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    a purpose only to those that bother sinking the time into making them work
    That's kind of the whole point of the Extra Bees mod. Enormous Time Sink for Renewable Resources. Of course, after you get the time put in, you can have anything from renewable Oil/Fuel to Uranium and even all of your metals and gems, if you want.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Could the beta server be set up as a snapshot server?

19. - Top - End - #19

I can say with certainty that I WOULD come back if we updated to the snapshots. MLR and I have been trying to play on a fudged together LAN world, but we're having connectivity issues. Would love to have a more stable server to play on.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Hm... well, if need be I can add a fresh snapshot server to the pool here. All vanilla and nuthin' else. (Well, except maybe a whitelist, to be aquired from the already existing server setup.)
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

21. - Top - End - #21

A snapshot server could easily be put up on the same machine, the question is whether we really want to fracture an already small server. I might be able to create a wrapper program that would be able to transmit chat to and from a vanilla server, but I currently don't have the time available to do it.

Technical Admin of the Minecraft server. Whitelist is here; put your name there and post it in the thread.
    The overly long monstrosity that is my extended signature lies here.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Grue Bait View Post
    Good game, guys. Sapo, you are just too good for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Rainy Knight View Post
    And by the way, your puzzle was one of the most interesting ones I've solved in a while. Kudos.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Saposhiente View Post
    A snapshot server could easily be put up on the same machine, the question is whether we really want to fracture an already small server. I might be able to create a wrapper program that would be able to transmit chat to and from a vanilla server, but I currently don't have the time available to do it.
    In the context of what I've been arguing for, a 1.7 snapshot server should be a temporary thing, going away when 1.7 proper comes out, simply because worldgen may yet change. After that, I'd be entirely cool with snapshots on the main server. Or not. But I don't think that there should be both a release survival and a snapshot survival server, due to that fragmentation issue.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

So, instead of having multiple servers for various styles, just have one temporary snapshot survival server to change things up, until 1.7 proper comes out?
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Hello everyone!

I was thinking about joining your servers, especially the RP one. I am curious, though, as to what version of minecraft is required? Are you using a particular modpack, something custom, or just vanilla minecraft? Thanks!
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Odedex on youtube had a clever trick for dealing with bees. He plugged in an AE system into an indexer with a storage bus, so he could search for bees, and then piped bees into it. Keeps them out of the main storage system, and the indexer can store them infinitely, more or less. The same trick should work with a fuzzy export bus, set for bees.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis97 View Post
    Hello everyone!

I was thinking about joining your servers, especially the RP one. I am curious, though, as to what version of minecraft is required? Are you using a particular modpack, something custom, or just vanilla minecraft? Thanks!
    The server is currently on version 1.5.2. Clientside, it is unmodded. That is, you don't need anything other than vanilla Minecraft 1.5.2. Serverside, it has a bunch of Bukkit-based utilities that make managing the server easier and also does do some useful stuff for clients. You'll need to be added to the whitelist to log onto it, however - instructions for managing that are in the first post.

The current topic of discussion regarding the server is mostly whether to drop those utilities to allow the server to be upgraded to the most recent version. The lag-time between official updates and mod updates is what stops the upgrades.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Thank you!

I saw the talk of Bukkit and Bees and wasn't sure if there was a mod pack. Vanilla works just fine for me though. I guess bees are in the vanilla game now and I just didn't notice?
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Thank you!

I saw the talk of Bukkit and Bees and wasn't sure if there was a mod pack. Vanilla works just fine for me though. I guess bees are in the vanilla game now and I just didn't notice?
    No, bees are part of the Forestry mod, which is part of the Feed the Beast modpack. That's why I specified that that was the topic of discussion "regarding the server" Of course, there's absolutely no way you could have known what was server-talk and what was more general talk... Splitting threads to clarify that has been discussed, but decided against due to how many different mod setups can be used. FtB is probably the major one, but not everyone uses it (I use a few of the component mods, but not most of the pack, for instance). More in-depth mod discussion tends to get spoilered eventually.

29. - Top - End - #29

Thank you!

Bukkit is used on the server, but you just need vanilla to play on the server.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I knew bees were in forestry/FTB, but it's been so long since I've played vanilla minecraft!

I've also discovered that I have a copy of plain old 1.5.2 minecraft. Just waiting on being whitelisted.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel