New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Closed are the Gates of Heaven 1a (AdEva, IC)

"Maintain eye contact when you speak to me, Pilot Kirby," the Vice Commander warned. "We had active video and audio surveillance until the moment Unit-01 went out of control. It would seem that the trigger was Pilot Duceppe's final blow, as you stated. However, you failed to give me any more information than we already had. What I am asking you for is the reason that the Second Children lost control. What about the rest of you? Do you have anything more to add?" He surveys the pilots with something approaching malice. No mention is made of Layla's whereabouts, and it is clear he will not entertain that line of questioning.
    Last edited by PalusAbel; 2013-10-12 at 08:57 PM.

2. - Top - End - #122

Layla was expecting a lecture, some harsh words, maybe even some screaming upon exiting the plug. She still didn't know what she could have done to stop the crazy stuff at the end from happening, but she was fairly confident they'd try sticking it on her somehow, and spent her time waiting for the entry plug to be retracted practicing some "prideful, indignant retorts". She was not, however, expecting to pop out in a rush of LCL to be surrounded by a squad of heavily armed soldiers, much less to be promptly bagged, tagged, and sedated into unconsciousness before she'd even had a chance to open her mouth, much less put up any kind of resistance.

She came to groggily, mind clouded from the sedative, and looked around in confusion. An... entry plug? This isn't Grendel's. Where the hell am I? Ugh... can't move either. What is this?!

An image of NERV's logo appeared before her and a digitally distorted voice began to speak. Layla sighed in resignation. Yup, she'd called it: big, scary interrogation time. Well, they could ask, but that didn't mean she had to just roll over and cry uncle the instant they decided to play mean.

"What do you mean? Grendel and I kicked ass, busted some heads, and won the match. Hell, I'll go for another round if you can hire some programmers who don't suck at their jobs and patch the glitches. Aw, but don't worry about it, these things usually come out buggy as hell. Need a good beta tester? Pretty sure I've got the free time."

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

"Um, not really." Not if they saw everything that Grace had seen, at least. Even if they had heard her comm chatter, Grace hadn't heard anything from Layla. She didn't know what they expected her to add to their observation. Though, there was one thing bothering her about the question that he had asked, but she hesitated to bring it up- especially given how they had responded to her last questions. In fact, as she looked at the Vice Commander's hostile features she felt increasingly inclined to keep her thought to herself. Why betray that she had seen something off about his assumptions? If it was a mistake, it was probably that he had unintentionally revealed one of their many secrets. Better to keep quiet and let them think she hadn't noticed.

'Lost control.' That didn't sound like a glitch in the simulation, and it wasn't how she would have described what happened at all. At least, not with what she had seen. So how exactly did one lose control of an Eva... and how was it that you even could? Maybe it had something to do with losing conscious control? What made things stranger was that Grendel had definitely seemed deactivated, but maybe Layla had just been bluffing.

4. - Top - End - #124

The speaker is not amused. "Why did Unit-01 reactivate?" A second image appears beside the first, this one marked "02 - Sound Only". "Isn't it obvious? It rose up in self-defense. Unit-02 attacked when Unit-01 had run out of power." A third image, "00 - Sound Only". "Are you suggesting that the restraints we installed only function while the Evangelions have power? Need we experiment with the other Units?" "You forget that we are speaking in the presence of the Second Children," the first voice admonished. "I ask again, why did Unit-01 reactivate?"

5. - Top - End - #125

Layla had to restrain herself from laughing at the absurdity of the situation. Here she was, all tied up God only knows where, and after going to the trouble of using voice scramblers and no video feeds to speak, they were ARGUING in front of her? What a bunch of pommy dipsticks. Though she was perfectly okay if they wanted to keep spilling info in front of her. Though what was all this talk about "self-defense" and "restraints"? That would imply consciousness and independent thought, and the EVA was just a big, dumb bio-mechanical robot... right? She decided to try fishing for a little info while playing along by answering the question.

"I don't have a clue mate, sorry. I was just sitting there twiddling my thumbs waiting for the sim to end when Grendel went all crazy on its own. Like I said, it was probably just some stupid glitch in your system or something. Computer must've decided Grendel wasn't dead, so it reactivated and started going all on its own. I wasn't in control after I lost power at all. What else could it be? I mean, it's not like Grendel can just move on its own whenever it feels like, right?"

6. - Top - End - #126
    Barbarian in the Playground

There was a sound. It was somewhere between a woman's scream, a lion's roar, and a child's whimper. Then the creature collapsed, covering Gilles with its massive weight as hot, dark blood streamed down its neck and onto his body.

There was a sound. It was somewhere between the screeching of metal, the crunching of breaking bones, and the tearing of flesh. And then it came; Gilles gasped soundlessly as he 'felt' Unit 01's spear rip through 'his' throat. For a moment, he couldn't breathe, and he strained against his seat's restraints, clutching his throat. Then he dropped back and sighed.

Ah. I died. Gilles looked up at the ceiling as the flashback ended and he returned to reality Well, I guess that's just how it goes. Luck doesn't last forever.

Gilles stood in the small puddle of LCL that had formed beneath him while the Vice-Commander interrogated the three of them, a neutral look on his face as his eyes glanced around the room.

The commander isn't present. Interesting. And it looks like Second's comeback was Not As Planned for NERV.

Gilles closed his eyes, standing up straight, and answered the Vice Commander's question. "It is as Comrade Kirby has said, Comrade Vice-Commander. After I delivered a blow to Second, as the Comrade Commander ordered, her Evangelion reactivated and attacked.

As to 'losing control.' Unit 02 functioned as per its parameters for the duration of the simulation. I cannot speak for any of the other units."
    Gilles opened his eyes. "I am unfamiliar with the specifications of Unit 01, as I am not its pilot. For that matter, I am also unfamiliar with the Second Child's normal patterns of behavior, although I have begun learning them (to my chagrin.) Therefore, I request clarification as to what should be considered 'normal' with respect to those two." Gilles said with a carefully expressionless face.
    Last edited by garter_snake; 2013-10-12 at 10:01 PM.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Ty shifted his weight, obviously uncomfortable. This time, he made a point of looking the Vice Commander right in the eyes, although it may have been hard to tell from the other side of his glasses. "From our brief conversation, Layla didn't seem to know any more than we were able to observe. She mentioned that she thought it was something wrong with the simulation itself."

Considering this reaction, that's probably not the case.
    Maybe not, but he already seems to dislike me. No need to press this issue.
    There is one thing that could do with pressing, though.

Ty drew himself up and summoned his courage. This was probably a really, really bad idea, but, as far as he was concerned, it needed to be done. Eyes still locked on the Vice Commander, and showing just a hint of defiance, unseen behind his glasses, he spoke again.
    "Forgive me, sir, but you didn't answer my question. I'm concerned about my partner. If you won't tell us where she is, can you at least tell us if she's okay?"

8. - Top - End - #128

"I appreciate your detailed response, Pilot Duceppe." The Vice Commander affords Gilles a small compliment. "It seems that Unit-01 did not change any of the simulation parameters..." He paused a moment to think, and noticed that Ty had bothered to make eye contact from behind his sunglasses. "Pilot Kirby, you test my patience. Remove those ridiculous glasses." He clears his throat. "Pilot Zhao is being debriefed in a separate room. To the best of our knowledge, she was acting in accordance with her psychological profile for the duration of the simulation that we could monitor. Similarly, Unit-01 did not exhibit any unusual abilities over the same duration. Did Pilot Zhao seem unstable to you at all after Unit-01 assumed control? Furthermore, did you notice any other radical changes in Unit-01's operational capacity beyond its reactivation?" He directs the questions all the pilots.

"The Magi are immune to error. That is the purpose of their construction. The anomaly is Unit-01. It was never designed for independent action, and should not be capable of it," the third voice says. "The fact remains that Unit-01 possesses the ability to move on its own. The question is why," says the second. The first voice sounds exasperated, even through the filter. "There is something else to consider. It is not that Unit-01 itself went berserk, but only a simulation of it, along with its simulation body. Our data shows that Unit-01's actual body was completely inert during the entirety of the simulation. That is why, Second Children, we are questioning you. What was the simulation like after Unit-01 went berserk? We understand that few, if any, of the simulation's original parameters were altered. Do you agree with this account? Were there any strange sensations in the entry plug?"

9. - Top - End - #129
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Ty made no move to comply. "Sorry, sir, I can't. Sensitive eyes. An unfortunate side effect of my condition that my medication doesn't help."

Wow. I never expected to have to say that to the Vice Commander of NERV. I'd have thought he already knew why I wear these.
    Given what I've been able to gather of his personality, he probably just doesn't care.

After a brief hesitation, Ty continued. "I can't speak to her stability, though she was able to hold a conversation, but she did mention something about it seeming like Eva-01 was hitting harder than usual."
    He wrung his hands again. He couldn't shake the feeling that he wasn't helping his situation much.

10. - Top - End - #130

Gilles considered the question. "In total, Unit 01 lasted at least 3 minutes 15 seconds, over four times the operational time limit of a standard Evangelion's power supply. ((15 sec*13 rounds)) It may have continued longer, I lost visual after I lost power. I observed that Unit 01 had battery auxiliaries mounted on it, was its operational time consistent what they would have provided it?

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Grace kept her silence. She didn't have anything to share even if she had felt inclined to share it- her best offer would be explaining how Grendel had punched off her Eva's head, but frankly, given how easily she had bisected Ty's Eva, that seemed like normal operational capacity to her, especially since she hadn't been expecting the attack at all.

She was considering the Vice Commander with growing irritation though, and crossed her arms as she kept her mouth shut. He might be in charge here, but she didn't have to like him.

12. - Top - End - #132

The Vice Commander is unconvinced by Ty's excuse. He knows the truth, but refuses to indulge anyone other than himself, and perhaps the Commander. "Your medical report mentioned nothing of the sort. As long as you are in my presence, you are not to wear sunglasses. That is an order." He accesses the Commander's computer and opens some documents. "Pilot Zhao did express a desire to increase Unit-01's operational time, but what you describe is beyond what our technology is capable of at the moment. And yet..." He looks up. "You say that she was still conversational? That is... very interesting." The Vice Commander looks distracted for a moment. "I will be joining Pilot Zhao's debriefing soon. Do you have anything else to add?"

13. - Top - End - #133

"I do not believe so, Comrade Vice-Commander."

14. - Top - End - #134

Layla wished she had a hand free so she could slam it down in frustration. She had to settle for rattling them against the restraints holding them in place.

"I don't know what you... parameters? Um... I guess it got stronger than it was before the power loss. And it was able to swing that spear I had faster too. Pretty cool actually, wish it'd been that good from the get go. That's the only thing I noticed. You know, apart from the glaringly obvious issue of it going completely out of control after it should have been bloody dead from no juice!

And I don't even know what you want me to say about sensations. Uh... I could feel the LCL around me? I could feel myself breathing? I could feel Grendel's physical sensations, same as before. I was eventually able to feel that AT field after Gilles used it to knock down my own field. And I felt the scratch when he shot me point blank and still only nicked me with that crap gun you issued him which, by the way, news flash: the guns you issued suck completely. Grace and me were the only two to do any serious damage, and that was with a frigging spear and my EVA's bare hands.

Bulls*** questions. Hell, all of this is BS. You built the damn thing, I don't know the first thing about what makes it tick! Why do you think a teenager is going to know more than your stupid scientists?!

It had not been an entirely truthful answer, for she had withheld one piece of information: she had felt... something, in the cockpit. The terror and the exhilaration that had coursed through her: had that been all her? Was it just a response to seeing Grendel so easily tear its way through the opposing team? Or was there... something else?
    Last edited by CrimsonKnight; 2013-10-13 at 01:11 AM.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Well. Here goes nothing.

With exaggerated slowness Ty reached up and removed his glasses, squinting to compensate and looking right at the Vice Commander. When he spoke it was once again quiet, just above a mumble.
    "Nothing comes to mind, sir."

Note to self: time to invest in contacts.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Orc in the Playground

He was disturbed to learn that the EVA units were acting in ways that even the scientist did not understand and had been unable to predict. He needed to have a talk with Doctor Eli about just how much they truly understood about the EVAs. It could be beneficial for an EVA unit to be able to get back up and fight even after it had ran out of power and taken to much damage, it could be the difference between victory and defeat if they were attacked by forces unknown. But if it could not control then the risks could be enormous as well.

At least three of the pilots had come out of it seemingly no worse for wear. He had worried for them and was still worried about the second child. The pilots where synchronized with the EVAs and there had to be a deep mental connection there for the pilots to be instinctively able to use an inherent function like the AT field as if they themselves possessed the ability. If the machine went out of control what kind of effect would that have on the pilot it was synchronized with? Mostly he was worried that a child could have been seriously injured in this experiment although that did not seem like the case based on the preliminary reports, however the colder more analytical part of him worried about the tactical consequences of losing a pilot. The Vice-commander might complain about the selection, but really the other candidates where even less suited then the current kids, it was all downhill from here if they had to start switching out pilots.

He stood next and a little behind the Vice-Commander as the handled the debriefing. Personally he would have preferred to do it on his own; the Vice-Commander could get a written report. As the meeting proceeded he looked over at the Vice-Commander and he scowled slightly as he silently wondered if he could get away with knocking Lonell’s head against a desk, just a little bit.

He cleared his throat, “It sounds like we have covered the points of immediate concern. Want me to take them from here so you can get going?”

17. - Top - End - #137

"Very well, Captain Elvenes. Show the pilots to their rooms." Lonell picks up a clipboard from the Commander's desk containing the sheets describing the pilots' room arrangements and hands it to William. "That is not to say that I am finished with you three," he adds, turning back to Ty, Grace, and Gilles. "I want a written report from each of you, with as many details as you can remember. We will go over them after Pilot Zhao's debriefing. Dismissed." The Vice Commander draws up more papers from the desk and takes his leave glaring at the pilots, his eyes boring into Ty's in particular.
    In response to Layla's rattling, the restraints deliver an electric shock. The jolt is only slight, but it is enough to serve as a warning. Had she exercised more discretion in her speech, she might have avoided what came next. "Increase the LCL pressure," the first voice commanded flatly. The interior of the plug is flooded with over ten times the amount of LCL required to operate an Eva. Layla would feel the liquid seize up in her lungs and press down upon her skin from every direction at once. She was in no danger of true suffocation, for the LCL oxygenated her blood directly, but for a few interminable minutes she was deprived of even the idea of breathing.

"Your insubordination is hardly amusing, Second Children. I will ask you once more. When I release the pressure, you will answer my question. When Unit-01 took over, did you notice any change in the simulation? Did the scenery change? The other Evangelions? Any of the conditions and restrictions laid out by the Magi when they developed the program? These are what we need to know." The excess LCL in the plug receded little by little with agonizing slowness. How long it takes is not certain, but eventually the plug returns to its normal state. "Most importantly, we need to know how you felt while Unit-01 was in control. You were able to hold conversations with the other pilots, correct? Did you not sense anything from within the entry plug?" The voice speaks with urgency, and not a little desperation.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Ty's gaze followed the Vice Commander out of the room, meeting him unblinking.

Well then. That was an excellent start to my career. A feeble display in the combat simulation followed shortly by a confrontation with the Vice Commander. What a great first day.

The moment the Vice Commander had left the room, Ty's hand shot up and replaced his glasses. His eyes once again covered, he let out a barely audible sigh and visibly relaxed, then turned back to the other two Pilots and the Captain, and waited without another word.
    Last edited by Zazax; 2013-10-14 at 04:40 AM.

19. - Top - End - #139

The electric shock was annoying, but not much worse than sticking your finger into a wall outlet. Layla was just getting warmed up on a spiel about needing to hire better electricians along with the computer programmers when the second punishment kicked in. The LCL over-pressurization was much, much worse, as she suddenly found herself being expanded from the LCL inside her lungs even as the LCL around herself forcefully pushed her inward on every inch of her body. The pain was indescribable, and to compound it she couldn't move, couldn't breath, couldn't think... there was nothing but the immense pain and pressure.

At last, it cut off and began to relax. Layla leaned back in agony, coughing and sobbing in between pained breaths that she knew weren't actually needed but couldn't help herself from doing. She had severely miscalculated the situation and what these people would and would not do to her if they felt like it. She hadn't expected she'd be part of an organization that was apparently okay with torturing a teenage girl.

God... damnit. I'm such a fool. It's the bloody goddamn camp all over again. Only now I'm stuck on a fecking island in the bottom of South America... F***!

Her spirit was unbroken, and knowing what she was dealing with now and what they were going to do with her actually made it, in a way, easier. She looked up and glared at the three displayed icons before her.

"I see, so this is how you get your jollies off, is it? Hurting a girl who's strapped to a chair and can't move so much as a bloody inch? Jesus, I should have know you sick f***s were no different than the last group of government a**holes who were "looking after me". Go to hell, you pommy bastards."

20. - Top - End - #140
    Orc in the Playground

"Well, sounds like you guys have some homework for this evening." William said kindly once the Vice Commander had left

"I’ll send you a description on how to set up a report on your internal emails and instructions on how to turn it in later today. The Vice Commander likes that things looks proper. Now let’s see." He took a look at the clipboard.

"I’ll take you to your rooms. Your personal effects should already have been delivered and you will find a folder with various information included how to access services like the email waiting." He walked toward the door and made a gesture for them to follow with his unoccupied hand.
    Last edited by Swordslinger; 2013-10-14 at 03:08 PM.

21. - Top - End - #141

Gilles glances around the room, taking in all the computers and analytical equipment, before finally looking back down at his feet, which had been soaking in the puddle of LCL. "...Comrade-Captain. Is it alright for us to walk around base like this?"

22. - Top - End - #142

"You see? I told you we would never get anything useful this way." The third voice says with righteous indignation. "The alternative may be radical, but it guarantees results." There is a pause. Then the first voice concedes. "I had hoped to persuade the Second Children to volunteer information on her own, but that seems to be impossible at this point. Commence synchronization." The images cut off abruptly, and the entry plug lights up with strange, indescribable colors. Layla would begin to feel a pull both like and unlike that she experienced when she synchronized with Grendel. This presence was far, far stronger, and it dragged Layla into itself rather than let her simply sink in. Even with the LCL back at its normal levels, Layla would feel herself drowning again, but not merely physically. That would be too merciful.
    Last edited by PalusAbel; 2013-10-14 at 11:10 PM.

23. - Top - End - #143

"What is this, what are you... GAH!"

Apparently, they had worse means for coercing her cooperation than she'd first realized. The physical trauma of the LCL over-pressurization had been extremely painful, but that was all it was: pain. After four years in a refugee camp where the older kids would beat her unconscious on a daily basis until she learned how to avoid them and, later, how to fight back and beat them to a bloody mess instead, pain was something she was both all too familiar with and able to shrug off with the ease of experience. But this now... it wasn't just the sensation that her body was being dragged down, it was the mental feeling that she was being dragged down, down, down into some black abyss. It was so different from before. What had changed? Why did she feel like she was drowning within Grendel?

Why? You protected me before, why are you doing this now? Why do I feel so goddamn afraid?

She gritted her teeth against the indescribable sensation, focused only on two things: staying conscious and not throwing up. She didn't want to give any of these bastards the smug satisfaction of her body just giving up and quitting via passing out, and she really, really did not want to have to deal with the unholy mess that would result from vomiting while inside a Entry Plug filled with LCL. And apart from that, she had to stay conscious because she couldn't afford to miss any detail they might reveal as to their identities or what they were so desperate to pry out of her.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Orc in the Playground

William glanced back at the children "No, don’t worry we will stop by the locker rooms first."

25. - Top - End - #145

Whatever it is that Layla is synched to pulls at her memories. In her mind she can almost feel something sifting through her thoughts, past and present, searching for answers. The sensation is utterly alien. Each time the unspeakable thing focuses on a particular memory, it appears before her eyes before being sucked away into the void. Despite her best efforts, Layla cannot withstand the strain on her psyche. She succumbs to fitful sleep.

Layla eventually awakens upon a bed. She has been gently deposited there atop the sheets, still fully clad in her plugsuit, though fortunately it seems to have been cleaned of any trace of LCL. If she reached up to her neck, she would find a metal collar fixed there, preventing her from removing the suit. It is made of some lightweight alloy, so it does not bother her in that sense. However, each time she turned her head or swallowed particularly hard, she would be reminded of it. A short tone signals the arrivals of the other pilots into the main common room, led by William. Gilles, Grace, and Ty have each had time to change into casual clothing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Here is a basic map of the room layout. I intentionally left the description of the room rather vague so that you, the players, can populate it with personalized furniture and the like. Each pilot has his or her own bedroom on the boys' or girls' side, and each side is connected to the main common area by a gender segregated common area. Bathrooms and such are found there.
    Last edited by PalusAbel; 2013-10-15 at 12:02 PM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Once Grace was changed and out from under the eye of at least most of the people in charge, she felt a bit more relaxed and like herself. William was still following along, of course, but he at least seemed less hostile than the Vice-Commander.

"You okay Ty?" Grace asked, looking to her fellow pilot as she took a seat in the common area. "I know I hit you pretty hard..."

27. - Top - End - #147

Layla sat up slowly, once again groggy, disoriented, and trying to remember what had happened. What... ugh, how did I get in bed? I thought I was drowning in the entry plug. Was it... could it have been just a dream?

She rubbed at her face in an attempt to wake herself up, only to stop in surprise as she noticed the gloves on her hands. Looking down, she realized she was still clad in her plugsuit, though it appeared to have been rinsed clean of the LCL. Maybe it had been a dream. Maybe something had happened to her after the test had ended and the events that had followed had been just a terrible nightmare. Right at this moment, all she wanted was a good, long shower to forget anything had ever happened. She reached for the clasp at the back of the neck to begin removing the plugsuit only to be surprised again as her hands found instead a rigid metal ring that had NOT been there when she'd put the suit on this morning. She searched for a clasp or other device holding it shut, and when she realized there was nothing but smooth metal all around her neck, pulled at it in growing frustration. When it failed to slide off, something close to panic began to set in.

No, no, no... goddamnit, it wasn't a dream. What the hell did they do to me? What the hell IS this damned thing?! She gripped at the ring with both hands and yanked as hard as she could, hard enough that she very nearly started to choke herself in desperation as she tried to get it off, only to lose her grip suddenly due to the slick surface of the gloves and slam her head into the wall behind her painfully. Collapsing onto the bed, she did nothing for a moment but shudder as her rage, pain, and mental stress all percolated in her head in a steadily intensifying tempest until she let it all out with a single scream.

"AUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGHHHHH!" She slowly picked herself up, emotionally and physically exhausted from her short outburst. She curled up in a ball on her bed, head cradled in her arms.

Stupid, stupid, stupid... how could you let this happen? You escaped one Hell only to willingly throw yourself right into another. It's your own damn fault, you stupid, stupid fool. It's the world at stake, I'm sure the adults know what they're doing... HA!

Layla's internal self-flagellation was interrupted by the door tone followed by muted talking that sounded like Grace. It was the other pilots. Did they know what had happened? Would they even care? She stood unsteadily and walked over to the door, hand grasping for the handle... before reaching up a little higher and locking it instead. She turned and sank down against the door, wrapping her arms around herself and bowing her head low.

Who can I trust? How do I know one of them isn't working with these bastards? Hell, I don't even know who it is doing this. How can I trust anyone here? How can I know they won't betray me? Tears began to fall unbidden, followed a moment later by racking sobs as she gave in to her grief. She was all alone in a deep, dark Hell, and she couldn't see any way out for her except death or fulfilling whatever their purpose was (assuming that wouldn't also end in her death).

28. - Top - End - #148

Gilles followed after William, and then past, sitting in a recliner with his back to the far wall, taking in the room. It appeared to be a fairly sparsely apportioned room, but comfortable despite that. An old CR-TV in the corner, a small kitchenette, Two sofas and two aged recliners, a coffee table, and a dining table with four wooden chairs. It would have reminded Gilles of a bit of a college dorm, if he had had any idea what one of those looked like.

When he was done, he turned to William. "So... Comrade Captain. Besides our meeting with the Comrade Commander, I don't think we've had any sort of orientation about the base rules, such as where we are to go and what our day to day duties are. Is that what we are here to go over?"

Spoiler
    Show

Built scenery a bit, as you said we could decorate our quarters. Also:
    Awareness check to look for overlarge air vents, windows, removable ceiling panels for repairmen/janitors, or anything else that could be used to Dues Ex-around.

(1d100)[34] TN 30

29. - Top - End - #149

Gilles' analysis revealed no such passageways; the walls and ceiling are almost completely flat. The air vents are large enough to fit a very intrepid mouse, provided said mouse had gone without food for a substantial period of time. There are screens here and there that look somewhat like windows, and indeed their function is to provide a simulated view of the outside. The crimson-stained ocean is visible through the "window" on the far wall, whereas the others show different parts of the facility. It stands to reason that each of the screens corresponds to a camera on the building's exterior. Of ceiling panels there are none. If ever maintenance needed to be done on the recessed lights or on the cables running inside the ceiling, it would have to be done some other way.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Ty was lost in his own head when he heard Grace's question. "Hm? Oh, I'm fine." Rather than sitting, he leaned on the back of one of the sofas, leaning on his elbows and hands folded in front of him. "That was a great shot, though. Even Layla just took off heads, you completely bisected Eva-00." He gave a nervous chuckle. "Remind me not to piss you off."

He looked down and wrung his hands, then mumbled to himself, so quiet he hoped nobody else heard. "Good to know some of us can fight, at least."

Oh, come on. Stop moping. If I want to be here but don't think I'm worthy of it, sulking won't help. Do something about it.
    Easier said than done. What use is sensing AT Fields and seeing through walls when I get taken out before I can do anything except tell the others about it?
    The Pilots are a team. If that means I am the one who warns them about stuff before they can see it and require them to take it out, so be it.
    Still doesn't seem too useful, though.
    I guess I'll see.

He looked back up at his fellow Pilot. "How are you? I at least got video feed so I could watch what was happening. Sounds to me like you got your head taken off, then had to sit in darkness by yourself. That can't have been fun."
    Last edited by Zazax; 2013-10-15 at 11:53 PM.