New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Closed are the Gates of Heaven 1a (AdEva, IC)

Ty gave one more worried glance in Layla's direction.

'Enhanced' debriefing? And why have they locked her in her plugsuit? And a new one, at that?
    Don't forget the Vice-Commander's refusal to tell the rest of us where she was. Wherever it was, it really agitated her.
    Something is going on here, and whatever it is, I bet the Vice-Commander knows about it.
    Wonderful. Because I really needed yet another reason to be uncomfortable in his presence.

He blinked, then turned back to the rest at Gilles' question. His response was a simple, silent shrug.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Orc in the Playground

William frowned slightly. That she could not remove the suit was odd, he guessed there had to be some medical or technical reason for it although he wondered what she was doing already back in her room if there was any negative effects. And what did she mean with ‘enhanced’ debriefing? He guessed she was not feeling her best right now and any debriefing with the Vice-Commander was not the most pleasant of experiences which would not make things any better.

"Yes there will be other opportunities to test the AT Field." He answered Grace’s question, "but not right away. There are obviously some problems to look into first." He glanced over at Layla worried she might have a negative reaction on being told she might have to pilot again. And they would have to do further testa, likely even if the problems were not solved. Many powerful people sufficiently believed in the threat that they had put more resources into the EVA project that frankly anyone could afford and too many resources to have it go to waste because the pilots did not have enough training. Any machine was only as good as its pilot.

"Anyway, let’s move on. Perhaps I should start with saying a few words about myself. My name is as you know William Elvenes and I am the Operations Director. This means that in a case of a combat situation I will have command of NERV forces, although the commander can overrule any decision made. You can also consider me your closest superior, if you have any question or concerns you can talk to me. The Commander is a very busy lady and the Vice-Commander even if he had time…. Yeah.

I was born in Norway, which is today a part of the United Scandinavia. I joined the military and after Second Impact I was down someplace at the border of India as a part of a mostly Russian division working on stabilizing the territories. After I received an injury" he tapped his leg "I was sent back to Europa and worked with mostly strategic tasks until I joined or rather was handed over to NERV Berlin. Two or so years ago I was sent her to Chile when it was first expected that something would come forth from the wall. One year ago I took over the director position and have been working on coordination between the various military forces here as well as helped plan and oversee the construction of the cities mundane defenses."

As you know this city is very large and although it has a decent population it is mostly concentrated at specific locations. The main residential area is located further north from here well out of the way and you will need to take a short ride with a high speed train to reach there. Most civilian facilities such as malls, cinemas and such are located there and other locations and not spread out all over like a normal city. Although you will find some smaller stores in the vicinity and services run as a part of the headquarters.

Now, unless you have any questions let’s start going over the various rules and regulations you subjected to as a citizen of NERV Town."
    Last edited by Swordslinger; 2013-10-22 at 01:03 PM.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Bugbear in the Playground

Layla grimaced and looked down as William answered Ty's question. Problems? PROBLEMS?! Yeah, right. More like the person that you're convinced caused the problems, whether or not she was actually responsible for it. And considering what the "solution" was...

She kept her mouth shut and spent the rest of the speech pointedly looking away with her arms crossed, not replying to his question but merely shaking her head to indicate a No.
    Last edited by CrimsonKnight; 2013-10-22 at 05:04 PM.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Barbarian in the Playground

"I have some, but I'd rather hold them until later."

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

While Grace did her best to listen attentively, part of her was still focused on what Layla had told her and on her fellow pilot. What should they do from here? Could they trust anyone, or was the organization corrupt to the core? And what exactly had happened to Layla, before and after that incident?

Noticing that Layla hadn't taken a seat, Grace caught her eye and then gestured to the open spot on the couch beside her- then realized that Director Elvenes had stopped talking. Her eyes flicked back towards him, and she took a moment to recall what had just been said. "Okay." There might have been one or two things she could have asked, but she thought he'd probably address them in what he said next anyway.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Sitting by himself on the other sofa, Ty resumed nervously drumming his fingers to the rhythm of the tune he'd previously been humming.
    He had no questions of his own, or rather no questions he felt like asking, so followed the example set by the other Pilots and gestured for the Captain to continue.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Orc in the Playground

Seeing as no one wanted to ask anything he continued on "Alright, then we move on. I’ll start with going over some rules, what will be expected of you in general and then talk about what your days will look like. Let’s start with your dormitories," he made a gesture to indicate the room "first off you are the ones responsible for keeping it clean so you will have to arrange between you how to deal with the common areas..."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

I am not going to go into to much detail here since it is not really important and I don't know them in the first place, better to just assume he tells them what they need to know. And that the keeps talking into lunch arrives.

8. - Top - End - #188

Gilles lay back on the recliner as William continued with his discussion of the base rules and regulations.

It's bugging me. Gilles thought. Just what did they do with Second? Gilles cracked his eyelids open a hair and stole a glance at Layla. We didn't take that much time to change out of our plugsuits, and that's obviously a different model than what she was wearing before. From that metal ring around her neck, and from what she said earlier, it didn't go on with her consent. So, assuming that it took her at least the same time to change suits as we did, for her to be here before us meant that her debriefing was over before ours, which is odd.

Gilles pulled a die out of his pocket and rolled it across his fingers. Alright, the alcohol looks like it's starting to wear out. That was dumb of me, taking a drink with an officer present. Gilles pocketed the die, and kicked the recliner up, so that he was sitting erect.

When a lull appeared in William's explanation, Gilles asked "By the way, Captain. What did you order for lunch anyway?"

9. - Top - End - #189

A tone signals the arrival of another guest. It is Commander Sheridan herself, pushing along a lunch cart. There are five covered platters, all clearly labeled with their intended recipients. "Yo! Brought some food. I bet you're all starving after that simulation. I took a peek at your files and ordered your favorite meals from the cafeteria. It's not five star cuisine by any means, but it's edible." The Commander brings the cart before William and each of the pilots, delivering the corresponding platter. She comes to Layla last. "Layla, I'm sorry for what happened, and for what I'm about to do." She uncovers the Second Child's dish, which consists of some nutrient tablets, a water bottle, and a dehydrated slab of something trying to pass as cake. "The higher-ups decided that you weren't ready for real food yet. I know it doesn't look like much, but there's something in here that will help you feel full, and Dr. Cazada tells me that yours is the most nutritious of all the meals here, so it's not all bad."

10. - Top - End - #190

Layla stared down at the platter, and said nothing for a moment, though the slight gritting of her teeth and tightening of her fists seemed to indicate she was resisting the urge to scream in protest. And possibly throw the platter in her face for good measure. In fact, she was fighting the urge to break out in near-hysterical laughter at having her own worst fears confirmed.

Control my food. Control my appearance. Control my actions. Soon enough, it'll be control my speech, control my thoughts... control my very soul. You sons of b*tches picked the wrong girl to try and make your damned puppet. Strings can be CUT, after all.

Once she'd managed to get her emotions under check, she looked up and gave a sigh even as she nodded to Sheridan. Of her guilt, Layla had no question. Whether or not she had been one of the three voices interrogating her, there was no way the commander of all NERV forces in Chile to not know about what had happened and condone it, not when she'd been seized so blatantly from the entry plug to wherever it was they'd taken her.

"It doesn't matter. Nutrients are nutrients, taste is... less important."

Ironically, Layla was actually being truthful (well, mostly anyway) about not caring about the unappetizing nature of her meal. When you spent a few years scrabbling just to get enough calories in you each day to survive, you learned how to tell your tastebuds to shut their mouths just because your meal tasted like crap. Sure, she would have much preferred a juicy cheeseburger over whatever the hell this "cake" was supposed to be, but she could still eat it just the same.

Of course, as she picked off a piece and chewed it with a look of disappointment on her face, that didn't mean she liked it any. She tried to avoid looking at the others' lunch as she asked the Commander the question that had been bugging her since she woke up.

"Speaking of higher ups, Commander, how long do I have to keep this thing on? Hell, what's the point of wearing a plugsuit outside of an entry plug anyway?"

11. - Top - End - #191

"I'm glad you're tolerating the food," the Commander says with a strained smile. "As for the plugsuit, well, there are some that think it will help stabilize you. It's a precaution; they're just worried about you, and about the rest of us, too. The plugsuits were designed to be worn for extended periods of time to begin with in case the entry plugs ejected to a location where retrieval was difficult. If you end up having... what did they call it... 'unreasonable difficulty with daily living', Dr. Cazada is authorized to remove portions of your plugsuit, but that collar and the primary suite of synch aids," she pauses to point at the devices on Layla's shoulders and sternum, "Those will have to stay on, regardless. In other words, you can ask Dr. Cazada to remove the sleeves and the leggings, but most of the torso area will have to stay covered. Think of it as a kind of swimsuit." The Commander laughs awkwardly, then continues in a more serious tone. "That's just the way it'll have to be until such time as you are no longer thought to be a liability."

"I think I have something that might take the edge off all that." She puts lightness back into her voice. "Have you kids ever had your own cell phones before? Let me tell you, consumer technology outside of Nerv is quite a few steps backward from what we have. Here, these are called 'smartphones'." The Commander retrieves a small satchel from the cart's lower shelf and produces four phones. "William already has one, and all your numbers have already been saved to his. Likewise, each of your phones has all the important numbers pre-programmed..." Commander Sheridan describes the phones' various functions as she distributes them.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

In spite of himself, Ty cracked a slight smile.

Out of everything they could have in my file, they bothered to waste ink including my favourite food?

The smile promptly disappeared, however.

On the other hand, if they have details as minor as that, what else is in there? Just how closely are they keeping tabs on us?
    NERV has been monitoring me my entire life. This isn't new.
    Well yeah, but not every minute of every day.

Ty grabbed his platter and sat back down, but hesitated in removing the lid After a moment he tilted it open and peeked inside. Chicken, mashed potatoes, and veggies, just like Mom used to make. Sort of. As close as cafeteria food could get.
    He appreciated the effort.

He glanced up at the others and noticed Layla apparently trying to stare down her 'food', and felt a pang of guilt.
    He glanced down at his own meal and closed his eyes.

Don't do it. I'll draw attention to myself, and apparently this comes from higher up. Don't want to piss them off.
    She didn't look particularly happy before, and she looks miserable now. At home everyone was always happy at mealtime. I can't let this continue.
    She doesn't really look like she wants my pity.
    This isn't pity. I'm trying to be nice. She looks like she could use a friend.
    ... Because I'm an expert in that field, right?
    Enough. I've made my decision.

Without a word Ty stood up and began slowly walking, listening to the Commander's talk about 'smart phones' as he went. Despite the sunglasses, he kept his gaze aimed at his feet, partly out of embarrassment and partly out of fear that eye contact with anyone else in the room would break his resolve. He remained staring at his shoes even as he arrived at his destination beside Layla, where he waited only a moment for the Commander to finish her description.
    "Um, if you want, I'd be willing to share. It's nothing fancy, just some chicken and potatoes." His voice was quiet, and there was a nervous quake to it. "I, uh, don't eat much and there's too much for me here anyways." Despite staring at the floor, he gave a nervous laugh tried to punctuate his white lie with a smile.
    He was unsure of its success.
    He gathered himself and continued. "After all, we're..." He paused to remember "...'Eva Team Awesome'. Partners. We need to look out for each other, right?"

He couldn't bring himself to actually check, but he felt sure something like this would draw looks. Oh god, this was embarrassing. He unconsciously shrank back a little, withering somewhat under what he was sure was the gaze of everyone in the room, even if he couldn't confirm it for himself, fixated on the floor as he was.
    Nonetheless, he stood firm and awaited a response, pointedly not looking at anyone, but especially Layla or the Commander.

13. - Top - End - #193

The Commander sighs. "I'm sorry, Ty. It's really nice of you to want to do that, but I'm afraid you aren't allowed to share. Layla has all the food that she's going to get until her next designated meal time." She puts a hand on Ty's shoulder. "I appreciate what you're doing, but there's nothing you can do in this case. Return to your seat." The Commander steps away from Ty and Layla to address the group as a whole. "My treatment of Layla might seem overly cruel to you, but there are certain measures we need to take to keep everyone safe. I know that sounds like Layla's suddenly become the enemy, but please understand that we're looking out for everyone's best interests. If you have any questions to ask me before your next briefing, now is the time to ask."

14. - Top - End - #194
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Ty waited a moment, then nodded and returned to his seat at a half-run, where he proceeded to sink as far into it as he possibly could.

Well, I knew that was coming before I even stood up.
    Still had to try. Wouldn't have felt right otherwise.
    And now the Commander probably thinks I'm an idiot, and everyone else is probably going to tease me about this until the end of time. Unless I miss my guess, my face is redder than a cherry.
    I regret nothing.

Pressed as far back into the sofa as he could manage, which was further than most people would have thought possible as he was quite practiced, Ty slowly ate as he waited for someone else to speak up. Let someone, anyone, else shift the group's attention away from him.
    Last edited by Zazax; 2013-10-23 at 03:50 AM.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

Grace tried to keep calm, and kept her eyes on her own food as the commander explained. She didn't really understand what they were trying to accomplish, but all this only made it seem worse. The bland meal was small enough that Grace felt she could ignore it- it might even have a real reason behind it, after all- but she clenched her fists under the table as Sheridan casually, enigmatically tried to explain it all away.

When the commander asked for questions Grace looked up from her untouched meal and examined the woman, weighing her for a moment before she spoke in a carefully controlled tone. "Commander, is anyone going to explain to us what happened today?"

She pushed her plate to one side- she could eat in a moment, if she actually wanted to. She wasn't entirely sure she did, at the moment. She crossed her arms on the table in front of her, took a breath, then continued. "No one is acting like that was a simulation error. So- an Eva can do that? And that somehow makes Layla a liability? Why? And if it's bad, like you all seem to think, then shouldn't you have warned us?

"Is Helel going to decide to just stand back up again after shutting down? And if you want me to do something about it- what? As a potential liability, I kind of have an interest in this!"
    By the end Grace realized she was losing her cool and quickly clamped down on herself, but she didn't make an apology or back away from what she said. In the back of her mind though, she worried that she was going too far- there didn't seem to be any reason to them, or care for the pilots. Maybe the commander wouldn't answer, but would just find an excuse to crack down on her as well.
    Last edited by AmberVael; 2013-10-23 at 07:25 PM.

16. - Top - End - #196

"We didn't warn you because we didn't expect it to happen ourselves," the Commander says evenly. "As far as we can tell, Unit-01 hijacked the program when Unit-02 attempted to strike a finishing blow. At least, the simulated Unit-01 did. I can tell you that Unit-01's actual body was inert for the entirety of the simulation. Its corresponding simulation body, on the other hand, began moving on its own after the digital Unit-01 took over. Maybe it was the other way around. Maybe the simulation body woke up and caused whatever happened in the simulation."

"The simulation bodies are basically lobotomized clones of the Evangelions - they're given the bare minimum of life support and cybernetic enhancements in order to serve as testbeds for synch experiments. I have never seen a simulation body move the way Unit-01's did today. It shouldn't be possible. Thus, it was decided that the fault lay not with the inactive Unit-01 nor its simulation body, but with Layla herself." The Commander pauses. "Tests are being run on all the simulation bodies and the Evangelions as we speak. Nothing has come up yet. It may be that Unit-01's going berserk was only possible in the simulated world the Magi had created."

"If you're worried about being a potential liability, Grace, I can arrange for you to have the same treatment as Layla. That goes for you, too," she adds, referring to Ty and Gilles. "We have no reason to suspect unusual activity from the three of you at this time."

17. - Top - End - #197

Gilles carefully lifted the lid of the platter and peeked inside.

Gilles sat with his back to the granite outcrop. Jean sat besides him, eyes closed, and enjoying a break from the hike.

"Just look at it!" Their Dad boomed. He stood near the edge of the cliff overlooking the river, gazing down at the lake valley. His shirt was wrapped around his chest, his hands holstered at his hips as the sun shown off his muscular arms. "Most beautiful scenery in the world! I'll tell you, boys, we're really lucky to live here. This right here-" he tapped his foot on the exposed rock "-Is fully exposed rock, the result of glacial impact during the end of the Pleistocene epoch scraping away the upper layers of soil. The ice sheets are also what carved out all of these beautiful basins and..."

"Is he going on about the glaciers again?" Jean muttered, his eyes still closed.. "Seriously. We're going to be here for another half hour at this rate." Jean held out a hand. "Pass me one of those pasties, would you?"

Gilles handed one to his brother and took one for himself as well. He unwrapped it from its foil and bit into it.

It was thick, and tasted a bit indistinct. It had cut up carrots and beef strips inside a mush of mashed potatoes, and a thick flaky crust. It was a solid meal, one that would stick to your ribs, but- Gilles wiped a smear of gravy from his upper lip. -somehow it wasn't as satisfying as he remembered.

Yeah. Gilles set down the pasty and glanced around the room at the expressions on his teammates faces. Disappointment, shame, anxiety. Gilles looked sadly down at the meat pasty and sighed. The food is the least important part of a proper meal.

"I think that would be for the best, Commander." Gilles said, rejoining the conversation. "Eating normally in this situation is tasteless."
    Last edited by garter_snake; 2013-10-23 at 10:33 PM.

18. - Top - End - #198

A loud racket arose from the corner of the room as Layla's lunch platter (with the majority of the food on it still untouched) went flying into the wall. She'd been trying her best to fight it, but her feigned anger had been replaced by actual fury over the Commander's dismissive words until she could no longer keep it in check.

"I knew it. I just f*cking knew it! It couldn't be the giant robot that create bloody magic forcefields that violate the laws of goddamn physics that you don't even understand a single thing about that could possibly be at fault! No, of course it's the pilot's fault that the EVA you GREW god-only-knows-how can somehow hijack an entire fecking supercomputer! You know, despite having never actually Synchronized before with one, much less controlled it!"

She was beginning to cry again despite the rage on her face, her still fragile emotions overloading themselves.

"If I'm such a goddamn liability and you're all so scared and convinced it's going to happen again... why the hell am I even still here then? Surely there's more than four kids in the entire frigging world who can operate these things, and at this point, if being treated like this for the foreseeable future is what I have to look forward to, why should I even bother staying? Can you even promise this will get better at all?"
    Last edited by CrimsonKnight; 2013-10-24 at 02:39 AM.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Ty watched from his sofa, his tray sitting forgotten beside him at Layla's outburst.

In the silence that followed, he spoke just loud enough to be heard. "Actually, I'm curious as to why this is such a big deal."

The gears were turning in his head again and he stared straight ahead, lost in thought. "It's not as if Eva-01's activation was the only odd thing that happened in that simulation. I can sense things without sight and detect AT-Fields in Eva-00. I have yet to hear my ability to do this be explained beyond 'AT Fields can do anything you can think of, if you can think of it hard enough'. You said so yourself, Commander. If that's the case, is there any reason to believe this is anything other than Layla thinking about wanting Eva-01 to reactivate hard enough? Perhaps the only way her AT-Field could accomplish this was taking control of the simulation and changing the parameters, given that it was merely a simulation and not real. If so, why is she being treated as some kind of time bomb and not me as well when I can also do impossible things with it? If not, then what else could it be?"

As he spoke his gaze slowly made its way to meet the Commander's, hidden behind his sunglasses. His voice remained measured and somewhat quiet throughout.
    Last edited by Zazax; 2013-10-24 at 07:08 AM.

20. - Top - End - #200

"Layla, you need to calm down." At the Commander's words, a needle on the inside of Layla's collar administers a small dose of sedative. It is not enough to knock her unconscious, but it should take the the edge off her emotions. "You are getting to the heart of the matter, though. There is no one besides you four that can pilot the Evangelions now. We have need of you here, Layla. You can choose not to pilot for now, if that's what you want. You can just stay here. If I ever need you, though, you're getting in Unit-01 if I have to strap you into the plug myself."

"Detecting other A.T. Fields is an entirely different matter than forcibly reactivating an Evangelion and somehow wresting control from three of the greatest supercomputers in the world, Ty," she adds, turning to the First Children. "What you can do now, and hopefully what you have the potential to do, looks to be under your control. Layla, on the other hand, seemed incapable of self-restraint. By the simulation's end, Layla and Unit-01 had caused nearly as much collateral damage as the three of you put together. What if it hadn't just been a simulation? The only one who we truly regard as a 'time bomb' is Layla."

"If you are so keen on me treating you all equally, so be it. The briefing will have to wait for another time. Captain Elvenes, return to your quarters. I will deal with these four." Outside in the hallway, more than a dozen Section 2 special agents, clad in their iconic black suits, quietly assemble.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Ty scratched his head and mumbled. "I guess there is a bit of a difference in scale and degree of control, now that you mention it." He diverted his eyes once again to the floor. "It's just, we haven't had a lot of time to process this, and while I can't speak for the others I at least have no real idea what's going on. I'm not even entirely sure how I managed that little AT-Field trick; it was more gut feeling than anything else." He glanced to the other Pilots. "We're flying kind of blind here, and I hope you can understand that it's a little bit unsettling, Commander. It's a bit scary to think the Evas, which we're supposed to be using to protect humanity, are capable of things we cannot, as Pilots, control. I just don't think that is necessary, is all." He gestured towards Layla. "Surely with all NERV's resources there's a better way."

Abruptly, he blinked and his head shot up. "Wait, what was that last bit?"
    Last edited by Zazax; 2013-10-24 at 07:55 AM.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

It was easy to take what the commander was saying as a threat- and as she dismissed the director, it seemed a certainty. Apparently even a little questioning and doubt was too much for her liking, and any critique was going to be deemed as pushing too hard. Grace bit back what she'd like to say, deciding that it was pointless. They were already proving themselves to be unreasonable, and so there was little else worth saying.

What Grace took away from this was that she had her own advantages though- she was unique, and she had control of an Eva. She could find a way to use that. In the meantime, she sat silently and watched the commander with a cold stare.
    Last edited by AmberVael; 2013-10-24 at 10:14 AM.

23. - Top - End - #203

Layla's anger and disbelief was at a fever pitch, and she knew that the situation had grown entirely out of control and that she was, at least partly, responsible for it. Now the entire group, not just her, was at risk. But it was so hard to think clearly through her rage. Something that felt like a mosquito bite tickled the back of her neck, and her fury began to recede even as a mental fog clouded her thoughts and the stark clarity that she had previously had. Her rubbery legs beneath her confirmed to her muddled mind what had happened.

Of course. Another system of... control. Knew it was more than... just a padlock for this suit... damn it, I can't think... straight.

She practically collapsed back into her chair from the disorientation caused by the drug, but despite her desire to just lean back and let it completely disconnect her from her anger and pain, she focused all her remaining willpower on maintaining her clarity. Or at least, long enough to try and fix this nightmare before it continued to spiral out of control.

"STOP! Please, just... stop. Don't do this. You don't need to be dragged down along with me."

She stared all three of them in the eyes. Grace, who seemed so cold at first but so easily had comforted her at her most despondent. Ty, who had tried his best to watch her back in a situation he was not prepared for and who she knew had a potential with the AT Field beyond what any of them could hope to do. Gilles, the New Soviet wonder-child who'd gone and offered her the strongest bond she knew of freely. She scarcely knew any of them, yet they were all her friends, and she wouldn't, she couldn't let NERV paint them all with the same brush of "threat" that had already marked her.

Please, Commander. Don't punish them. Do as you want with me, I won't fight, but please don't mistreat them because of my actions."

24. - Top - End - #204

...this is getting to be a scary situation. Gilles thought as the implications of what the commander just said sank in. ****, this is what I get for letting sentiments take my mouth. ...Alright. How am I going to get my ass out of this without a ****ing metal collar on my neck?

From what I've seen so far, the Commander is someone who'd prefer to have people 'follow the carrot' rather than 'run from the stick'. If I can give her a convenient 'carrot', the 'stick' will stay at her side.

My guess is that her goals here are: 1. Get us pilots to accept the chain of command. 2. Prevent Second's berserking, or whatever one calls it, from compromising NERV's goals & control. 3. make us an effective fighting unit. So if I can offer her a way to capitalize on #1 and #3, she might compromise a bit on #2, if she can do so from a position of power.

However... any offer needs to be acceptable to the other pilots as well. If they think I'm 'selling out', they might just shoot me in the back at a later time.

I think my best bet is to do some ass-kissing with some party rhetoric, with the goal being to convince her that our discipline can be improved by treating us as a combat unit, making us all wear uniforms and such and share in Second's meal situation, and that the morale loss from equipping us with control collars isn't worth the gain in discipline through fear.

"I think I may have miscommunicated myself, Comrade-Commander. This science and gob-, ah, inteligista dialogue is all a bit over my head. The security of the revolution from the extraterrestrial menace is my mission, and I lack the capacity for more esotaric subjects. However, eating richly while a comrade must subsist goes against the spirit of the world revolution! Gilles puffed out his chest, and started speaking in an exuberant tone of voice. "Yes! For what bond can compare to those of comrades, struggling together against oppressors in pursuit of a classless society? Therefore, for a revolutionary, there would be know greater honor then joining Comrade Zhao in the knowledge that beneath one's uniform-" Seriously, why didn't you guys just throw a uniform over her plugsuit? It's thin enough. What, did you think Second would take well to walking around looking like she was wearing a latex glove? "-one is constantly equipped for combat with the Invaders at a moments notice!

However, we must also be prepared to show the Invaders our dignity as the superior species!" Gilles stood up and paced the room, gesticulating with each word. "Indeed! My first impression upon meeting Comrade Zhao was a favorable one at her impressive display of zeal in wishing to defend her family from the menace of the Invaders. The one she gives now-" Gilles indicated her expression, affected as it was by the sedative. "-is much less so! I FULLY support an increase in combat readiness and discipline, but-" Gilles stood closer to the door now, and he turned, giving a salute. The power of human spirit and dignity is our greatest weapon, and should not be curtailed!"

...I can't believe I actually said that. This may be a new low for me. Gilles tensed his leg muscles slightly, prepared to bolt for the door at a moments notice.

Spoiler
    Show

Charm roll, success. One or two degrees, depending on if I'm still drunk.
    Last edited by garter_snake; 2013-10-24 at 03:37 PM.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Ty eyed Gilles throughout his speech.

Does he rehearse these things, or just make them up off the top of his head?

As the other boy continued, he slowly edged his way around the room until he was close enough to mumble and still be heard.

"Sorry Layla, I think I may have helped that escalate, but they made us partners. That means win or lose, sink or swim, we have each other's backs. Even if that means metal neck clamp things."
    You're also the closest thing I've ever had to a best friend, which is kind of sad now that I think about it, but I'm embarrassed enough right now without exposing myself to the universe, thank you very much.

For now he turned back towards Gilles and the Commander. Looked like he was nearly done.

26. - Top - End - #206

The Commander laughs unabashedly. It is a condescending sound, full and loud, that bounces around the room. "I didn't expect that out of you, Gilles. What are you suggesting, then? That 'Comrade Zhao' be let loose? There are a number of reasons why we cannot let that happen. I didn't want to be the villain here so early, but..." She reaches into her coat, pulls out a pistol, and immediately fires two shots at Gilles' legs.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Commander Sheridan Readies her pistol as a Free Action, then takes the Semi-Auto Burst Full Action. Her attack is a success, and she fires two shots, one at each of Gilles' legs. The shot to his right leg would deal 7 damage after Toughness Bonus if not Dodged, and the shot to his left would deal a whopping 22. Due to the Commander's talents, Gilles suffers from a -20 penalty to Dodge, so his TN is only 18. It is, however, a nonlethal weapon, so he need not fear dying - the worst critical result he can suffer from is for 5 Impact damage.

Rolls are here, here, and here.

27. - Top - End - #207

Oh, balls.

Gilles tried to move out of the way, but the commander's aim was too quick. The first shot grazed his right leg, and the second knocked his left out from under him.

"****!" Gilles swore, clutching his left leg. It hurt like the dickens. "Damn it! Nom de dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperie de connard d'enculer ta mère." Then, he looked up, seeing the barrel of the Commander's gun still pointed at him. "...ow."
    Last edited by garter_snake; 2013-10-24 at 09:26 PM.

28. - Top - End - #208

"I told them to make a nonlethal weapon. I guess I'm just too good a shot," the Commander muses as she lowered her gun. "I tried to have a little patience with you all, but I reached the end of that some time ago. I will not have you second guessing me. You are my tools, and little else." She looks over at Grace and Layla. Ty is beneath her notice, and she is confident that William will obey the chain of command. "Are you going to stand down now? Or do I have to shoot you as well?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Tactical map, based on assumptions about the characters' locations. Only vaguely to scale. Commander Sheridan is represented by an Angel mask for the time being, and the grey squares denote entrances and exits.

29. - Top - End - #209

Everything happened so fast in a flash that Layla's drugged mind could scarcely keep up with what had happened. It was so hard for her to keep focused, much less will her numbed body into moving.

Get up! Get up, damnit! That b*tch shot Gilles you pathetic excuse for an EVA pilot. Just... move... f*ck! It was no good, as her muscles refused to comply and leaving her still seated for the moment. She tried pleading again, hoping to buy herself a little more time to get her body to finally do as it was told.

"I said I'd comply! Just stop hurting them, please!"

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Failed the Toughness test and the Fate reroll, though at least Thrill Seeker kept the Fate point from being wasted. Gained 1 level of Fatigue, can take no actions this turn.

Notes:
    Fatigue: 1/3 (-10 to all Tests)
    Fate: 2/4

30. - Top - End - #210
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Ty froze and his eyes went as wide as saucers. In response, however, his mind kicked into overdrive.

Holy crap! She shot him!
    Non-lethal.
    She still shot him! Why would she shoot him?!
    I believe the terms 'second-guessing' and 'tools' were used.
    But we were just talking!
    She probably saw Gilles' offer as insubordination. Questioning her command and all that.
    But we weren't questioning her!
    Technically we were.
    We were asking her questions. That's different. I was just curious about their extreme reaction. The most we've got out of them is that they don't know exactly what happened, and since they believe their equipment infallible they're blaming Layla. How do they expect her, and even the rest of us, to keep things under control if they won't even tell us what the problem is?

He glanced around the room, so tense he could barely move.

This is bad. This has gotten so out of control. She's even threatening to shoot the girls.
    Don't do anything stupid.
    I can't just stand and watch the Commander gun down the only people that have ever been close to being my friends. Especially after all that "we're partners" stuff I was just spewing.
    And what do I intend to do about it? Throw my tray at her?
    If I have to. I can't fight, but I could do something.
    And then what? Not only will she shoot me too, but I've now assaulted my commanding officer. There's already definitely going to be some sort of disciplinary action for this; probably whatever they did to Layla. That would make it worse.

Frozen to his sides, Ty's hands balled into fists.

... They could do something to Nell. Send her away, or worse.

He grit his teeth and his knuckles turned white.

But... I can't...
    Look, I'm supposed to be smart, right? So start being smart! Think of something! There's the possibility that this situation can still be resolved peacefully, however remote. And I never give up, right?
    ... Right.

Voice shaking, Ty began to speak, trying to keep his tone level, although he imagined he failed. He remained otherwise totally motionless, eyes locked on his feet.
    "Commander please. We're not second-guessing you; we're merely trying to understand the factors behind your decision. It will be a lot easier to prevent another accident like the one in the simulation if we could just understand what it was and why it necessitates this response. Sort of like knowing what emergency there is by whether it's the police, fire department, or an ambulance responding. That's all."

Spoiler
    Show
    No initiative, because Ty realizes that he's utterly useless at the moment and that he has more than just himself to worry about as far as consequences are concerned, as much as it's tearing him up to admit it.
    Unless it's required for participation on the level of, say, conversation, in which case just say the word and I'll roll.
    Last edited by Zazax; 2013-10-25 at 06:09 AM.