New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop XIX: "Understand the gravity of the situation."

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Blood Angels - The only good Chaplain is a Reclusiarch, and you only take him to put in Death Company, and the only reason you take a Reclusiarch is because you can't take a Librarian because you're Allied with Black Templars.
    Which has now changed, of course. Black Templar detachments can't take a Librarian, but they can take them as Allies.

Which is a shame, really. I like Chaplains - their models, their fluff, and their intended use on the table top - but even I have to stop and say, "But everything else is just so much better..."
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop XIX: "Understand the gravity of the situation."

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    I find myself wondering if the Imperial Fists supplement will let Space Marine players play a main detachment of Space Marine Imperial Fists
    ...At first I was like "GW is making rules for Lexandro!? Cuss yeah!" ...Then I realised what you actually meant.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2013-10-20 at 07:46 AM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

3. - Top - End - #303
    Troll in the Playground

I had some very nice games yesterday, one 1500 points match against eldar.

I can sum that one up easily.

My transports killed first turn. Footslog towards eldar tanks. Lose many chaos marines and cultists. Reach eldar. Reap decent casualties considering how few chaos are left. Get wittled away.

On the plus side my heavy bolter havocs killed a flyer, which is always nice.

Second game was 2v2 with 3000 points a side. My partner for the match played Loganwing. First time I've ever seen it in person.

Dear god emperor it was nasty.

The reward for Worst Model in the Match went to Illic Nightspear, who was leading the eldar in both games and failed to kill a single model.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

ForgeWorld you magnificent bastard!

They've made Chapter Tactics for The Badab War Chapters, as well as getting around to doing a Character Update. Yes. Those are free rules.

Red Scorpions: Having your Troops squads with FNP is nice. And, in a super update, the Apothecaries upgraded in this way can still take Combi-Weapons and other stuff. Rad.

Carcharodons: Fun in combat. All Allies are Desperate Allies. WHYGODWHY!?

Exorcists: Player's Choice. Yep. You can play an Official Chapter and do whatever you want. So long as you paint your army red and black.

Mantis Warriors: WHAT!? All Infantry gain Move Through Cover, and gain Hammer of Wrath. Yes. And, if they're dumb and Charge out of cover, they gain Furious Charge! And, just because, re-roll Seize the Initiative, and Librarians can take Divination. ...Wow...Just...

Executioners: Stubborn-Plus. And all Characters are just as good as Kor'Sarro. That's awesome.

Angels Revenant: Ultramarines. Or, if you're fighting Necrons, gain Preferred Enemy and Hatred (Necrons), and because ForgeWorld apparently thought about this for half a second, if you're not playing against Necrons, if half your army is destroyed, the other half gains Fearless. This is the best thing I've ever seen. Not because it's OP. But, it shows that FW understands that a particular rule isn't going to be useful every game.

Red Hunters: Adamantium Will. And Battle Brothers with Grey Knights. WINNARS!!! Way better than Black Templars.

Star Phantoms: Twin-Link everything for turn. Not great.

Minotaurs: Can't be shot off the board. This is amazing.

Fire Hawks: They love Flamers. Assault and Vanguard are Scoring. This is marginally useful now since Vanguard and AMs are in separate FO slots. Put everything in Drop Pods and FIRE!

Astral Claws: Stubborn. All models on Bikes gain Skilled Rider. Fast, Skimmers have Scout. So, that's neat.

Raptors: Raven Guard, except all Bolt weapons can become P90s. Model away!
    Howling Griffons: Ultramarines.
    Fire Angels: Ultramarines.
    Marines Errant: Ultramarines.
    Lamenters: Blood Angels.
    Sons of Medusa: Iron Hands.
    Novamarines: Ultramarines.

Cheesegear's Picks: Without delving into Special Characters (we'll get to that in another post in a few hours);
    Red Scorpions have had a huge upgrade, because Sergeant => Apothecary still allows regular Sergeant upgrades, and, your Scoring units get FNP for free.
    Mantis Warriors are just amazing.
    Executioners can equip all the Characters with Power Swords and ignore Kor'Sarro forever.
    Red Hunters are Battle Brothers with Grey Knights...Just...Yes.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2013-10-23 at 08:12 PM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

5. - Top - End - #305
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Carcharodons: Fun in combat. All Allies are Desperate Allies. WHYGODWHY!?
    'Nids? They still CTA?

6. - Top - End - #306

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    'Nids? They still CTA?
    The Carcharodons rule says they can only ally with other Imperial armies, and treat them as Desperate Allies, so yes.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Unfortunately, it seams that while the Red Hunters can take a Grey Knights (Or Sisters of Battle, not that you would) allied detachment and have them be battle brothers, the reverse isn't the case, as the allied detachment has to have an inquisitor, and there isn't one in Codex: Space Marines unless the Red Hunters have an inquisitor special character I'm unfamiliar with.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

8. - Top - End - #308
    Troll in the Playground

Interestingly, Glaives Encarmine look like they're going to get better, with the extra rule of +1S on the charge for Malakim Phoros' Glaive Encarmine. A boost to Blood Angels coming soon?

Also:

Re: Executioners; this could make for a good Imperial Fists Assault Company Chapter Tactics. The swordplay and challenge awesomeness makes for some Feast of Blades style characters.
    Last edited by bluntpencil; 2013-10-23 at 11:48 PM.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    Unfortunately, it seams that while the Red Hunters can take a Grey Knights (Or Sisters of Battle, not that you would) allied detachment and have them be battle brothers, the reverse isn't the case
    ...Good.

Grey Knights are supposed to be rare and finite. And, originally, I was actually mad that they came out as their own army. #3rdEd4lyf

If I was seriously Comping it, I would say that it had to be an Ordo Malleus Inquisitor (no Plasma Siphons!) - including Coteaz or Hector Rex. Again, "Oh noes! What do you mean I have to take Coteaz..." would show itself. But, point is that Comp is about Forging Narratives, and Ordo Xenos + Red Hunters is not one of those Narratives.

EDIT: The reason Grey Knights are back on the table is because their Stormravens carry Mindstrike Missiles and access to Psilencers. ...And this is good for killing...What? (I'll let you guys answer).
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2013-10-24 at 02:12 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So forgeworld as usual. Some stuff is GW equivalent, but a lot is just plain better.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground

EDIT: The reason Grey Knights are back on the table is because their Stormravens carry Mindstrike Missiles and access to Psilencers. ...And this is good for killing...What? (I'll let you guys answer).
    Orcs? Necrons? Dark Eldars? Tau?
    Certainly not just about unkillable psykers
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Screamerstars and Jetcouncils. Also the new bolter from Adepta Sororitas does the same thing more or less...guess we will be seeing less and less of those.

Perils on a hit is nasty for psykers units.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    The Carcharodons rule says they can only ally with other Imperial armies, and treat them as Desperate Allies, so yes.
    Oh, only with imperials. That makes more sense. It's just CG said "All allies are desperate allies," so...

14. - Top - End - #314
    Orc in the Playground

Battle Report Time! - in short, my Chaos Lord goes on a rampage (instant death chainfist, T6 and feel no pain at the start!), thanks to his ridiculous boon rolls at the start of the game, and Mephiston gets away. Written by my opponent.

Spoiler
    Show

Blood Angels Vs Chaos Space Marines 2k

Blood Angels

HQ:

Mephiston
    Librarian (Lv1) with Shield of Sanguinius and Fear of the Darkness

Elites:

Furioso Dreadnought in “Fragioso” configuration with Drop Pod
    Corbulo

Troops:

Assault Squad (RAS) with Melta Gun and Razorback with Heavy Bolter (Bolterback)
    RAS with Flamer and Razorback with Lascannon & Twin-linked Plasma Gun (Plaserback)
    Death Company in a Phobos pattern Landraider
    Scout Squad with a Heavy Bolter

Fast Attack:

2 x Attack Bike with Multi Melta

Heavy Support:

Predator Destructor in “Autolas” configuration
    Stormraven Gunship
    Whirlwind

Chaos Space Marines

HQ:

Chaos Lord - Terminator Armour, Chainfist, Burning Brand, Mark of Nurgle, VotLW, Gift of Mutation, Blight Grenades
    Chaos Sorcerer (Lv3) - Aura of Dark Glory, Spell Familiar, VotLW

Elites

5 Chaos Terminators with Mark of Nurgle - VotLW 3 combi weapons, Reaper Autocannon, Chainfist, Gift of Mutation

Troops:

15 x Chaos Space Marines (CSMB) - VotLW, bolters, 2 plasma guns, aspiring champion with power weapon
    15 x Chaos Space Marines (CSMA) - VotLW, bolt pistol + ccw, 2 meltaguns, aspiring champion with power weapon, Icon of Vengeance
    2 x 20 man Chaos Cultist Squads

Fast Attack:

Heldrake - Baleflamer

Heavy Support:

2 Obliterators - Mark of Nurgle, VotLW
    1 Obliterator - Mark of Nurgle, VotLW
    8 Havocs with 4 Autocannons

Fortification:

Aegis Defence Line with Quad Gun emplacement

Deployment

The Relic, Hammer and Anvil deployment
    Chaos Lord gets the Exalted Champion Warlord Trait (re-roll Chaos Boons), Mephiston gets “Master of Offence” (Gains Curious Charge in the CSM deployment zone)
    The Chaos Lord gets seven rolls on the Chaos Boon table due to rolling Multiple Rewards twice. The following boons are attained: Masochism (Feel No Pain USR), Crystalline Body (+1T), Mind of Metal (Adamantium Will), Lifetaker (melee attacks have the Instant Death USR), Arcane Occulum (+1BS) with the remaining two being unworthy offerings. The Terminator Champion is also deemed unworthy.
    Sorcerer rolls Invisibility, Psychic Shriek and Puppetmaster
    Both squads of RAS have Red Thirst

BA deploy the Landraider containing the Death Company deploys directly “south” of the Relic. The Predator, Bolterback (containing the Librarian and the RAS with the Melta Gun (LRAS)), the Plaserback (containing Corbulo and the other RAS (CRAS)) and Mephiston line up on the east flank while the Whirlwind hides behind a ruin on the west flank. The Attack Bikes also deploy near the Whirlwind. The Stormraven and the Scouts remain in reserve.

From left to right CSM deploy a backline of Cultists (CultB) and the Havocs behind the Aegis Defence Line, with a single Obliterator just in front. A second line from left to right is two Obliterators, CSMA, CSMB (that contains the Sorcerer) and the other squad of Cultists (CultA). The Helldrake and the Terminators with their lord is in reserve.

With the roll for Seize the Initiative declined, Blood Angels are to go first.

Turn one

BA

~ The Drop Pod lands by CultA and the Fragioso lines up to shoot them. The Bikes advance along the west flank whilst the tanks advance along the east flank. Mephiston manifests Wings of Sanguinius and moves towards the Relic and behind cover and the Land Raider also trundles forward towards the Relic. The Quad Gun then fires at the Fragioso causing 1HP of damage.
    ~ The Fragioso kills many from CultA and even with other units adding to the damage they hold with just five models remaining. Other notable fire sees an Obliterator on the west flank take a wound.

CSM

~ CultB, the two Obliterators and the Havocs hold position and CultA moves into cover. CSMA, CSMB and the single Obliterator advance towards the enemy.
    ~ CSMB knock a HP off the Fragioso before the single Obliterator explodes it for First Blood. CSMA knock a HP off the Drop Pod while the Havocs manage to knock a HP off the Predator.
    ~ CSMA fail a charge on the Drop Pod.

BA: 0-1 :CSM

Turn Two

BA

~ The Scouts arrive on the western flank and push into the CSM deployment zone, flanking CultB. The Bikes again advance along the west flank – as do the tanks on the eastern flank – while everything else holds position.
    ~ The Scouts kill three Cultists from CultB. The Land Raider and the Whirlwind combine to kill four from CSMA, the Predator kills the single Obliterator and the Plaserback knocks a wound off the Quad Gun. The Bolterback removes a traitor from CSMB and the Bikes kill one obliterator and wound another.

CSM

~ Invisibility is successfully cast on CSMA
    ~ The Helldrake enters play and performs a Vector Strike on the Scouts causing two fatalities. The Terminators teleport behind Mephiston and CultB moves towards the Scouts. CultA retreats further into the CSM deployment zone, CSMA advances towards the Relic and CSMB advances towards the BA tanks.
    ~ Shield of Sanguinius fails to cast. Puppetmaster is cast on the Predator who penetrates the Plaserback’s armour and causes a Shaken result. The Havocs and CSMB combine to wreck the Plaserback and the Helldrake’s Baleflamer roasts the Scouts.

BA: 0-1 :CSM

Turn Three

BA

~ The Stormraven enters play and zooms towards the Relic. The Death Company disembark from the Land Raider and advance towards the Relic and Mephiston again manifests Wings of Sanguinius and moves to the Death Company’s position. The Bikes close the distance on the remaining Obliterator and the Land Raider brings its weapons to bear on the Terminators. The Bolterback, Predator and CRAS all advance up the field and finally, the Quad Gun unloads on the Stormraven causing a Shaken result.
    ~ The Stormraven snap fires its weapons at CSMA causing one wound before using Power of the Machine Spirit to launch two Bloodstrike Missiles at the Helldrake causing it to not only explode, but to kill three from CultB with flaming debris. The Bikes finish off the Obliterator and the Land Raider removes two Terminators from play.
    ~ Mephiston charges CSMA and the Aspiring Champion issues a challenge, one which was over before it had begun. The Death Company also charge CSMA and kill four for one loss. Due to the Icon of Vengeance, they hold due to Fearless.

CSM

~ Invisibility is successfully case on CSMA
    ~ The Terminators advance towards CRAS while CSMB advances towards the BA tanks. Everything else holds.
    ~ Shield of Sanguinius is successfully cast. Puppetmaster is cast on the Bolterback but it fails to wound CRAS. The Burning Brand of Skalathrax, however, does claim one casualty. The Havocs explode the Stormraven.
    ~ The Terminators charge CRAS. The Lord easily dispatches the Veteran Sergeant but doesn’t get a boon, whilst the Terminators slaughter the RAS. Corbulo survives and holds his ground. In the other combat, Mephiston kills the icon bearer and suffers a wound for Perils of the Warp.

BA: 0-1: CSM

Turn Four

BA

~ One bike heads towards the Quad Gun while the other moves towards the Relic. The Bolterback fails a Tank Shock on CSMB and the Predator moves across to a different position. Everything else holds.
    ~ The Land Raider and a Bike combine to kill four from CSMB and the other Bike destroys the Quad Gun.
    ~ Mephiston and the Death Company finally win their combat and consolidate towards the Relic. Corbulo dies in a challenge and the Lord gets a boon (+1S).

CSM

~ There is little movement other than CultB heading towards the nearby Bike and the Terminators heading towards the Relic.
    ~ Puppetmaster is successfully cast on the Bolterback and it kills two Death Company.

BA: 3-1 :CSM

Turn Five

BA

~ The Night Fight rules are now in effect
    ~ Mephiston picks up the Relic and embarks inside the Land Raider, which then moves away from the Terminators. Everything else bar the Whirlwind moves towards the Terminators.
    ~ The remaining Terminators die to combined fire from the majority of the army, but the Lord remains unscathed. Three from CultB also die from the Land Raider.

CSM

~ The Lord advances towards the Land Raider.
    ~ Shield of Sanguinius is successfully cast but Puppetmaster fails to work on the Bolterback. The Burning Brand of Skalathrax roasts one Death Company marine.
    ~ The Lord assaults the Death Company and dispatches them with ease.

BA3: 0-1 :CSM

Turn Six

BA

~ LRAS disembark from the Bolterback and advance towards the Chaos Lord, as does everything else. The Land Raider continues to move away from the Lord.
    ~ The bolterback kills three from CSMB causing them to break. Everything else shoots the Lord for a meagre return of one wound.

CSM

~ CSMB rally and the Lord continues his advance on the Land Raider.
    ~ Shield of Sanguinius is successfully cast, as is Puppetmaster on the Predator; however it fails to harm the Land Raider. The Havocs kill two from LRAS.
    ~ The Lord successfully charges the Land Raider and it explodes. Mephiston passes his pinning test and appears at the back of the “rubble”.

BA: 3-1 :CSM

Turn Seven

BA

~ Mephiston moves away from the Lord carrying the Relic deep into the BA deployment zone. The Whirlwind cuts across to block a direct charge from the Lord. Everything else gets closer to the Lord apart from LRAS who move towards CSMB.
    ~ One marine from CSMB dies and everything else shoots the Lord causing a further wound.
    ~ LRAS fail their charge on CSMB.

CSM

~ The Lord moves towards Mephiston and is now well inside the BA deployment zone (Linebreaker) and CSMB close on LRAS.
    ~ Shield of Sanguinius is successfully cast, but one from LRAS still perishes.
    ~ CSMB charge LRAS and lose one of their number to Overwatch fire. The Sergeant dies in a challenge with the Sorcerer, the remaining RAS is cut down and the Librarian takes a wound. In return, three wounds are caused on CSMB resulting in a draw. The Lord is 9” away from Mephiston but fails his charge with a roll of eight.

BA: 3-2 :CSM

Last edited by thedavo; 2013-10-24 at 04:55 PM.
    i watched your heart turn black.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Pretty mad that the Crusade of Thunder Apocalypse Formation requires Lysander. Okay, the Fluff says the task force got smashed and Lysander was able to pull together the scraps.

Except that it's kind of convenient that those 'scraps' manage to be a full Company, isn't it? If Lysander was pulling together 'scraps' of a task force, I expect it to contain anything except a perfect-sized Company.

Here's how I'd do scraps.
    The Crusade of Thunder has been halted in it's tracks. Many of the ancillary Command Staff have been killed. Only Lysander and his hand-picked Terminators have managed to scour together the remnants of the Crusade. Even the tattered remains of the holy Crusade Banner itself has been recovered from the mud in battlefield debris. Raise the Banner high, the Crusade is never lost so long as one Fist remains alive!
    This Formation represents the scattered Imperial Fists rallying to Darnath Lysander's Banner.

Lysander
    0-1 Librarian (must be in Terminator Armour)
    0-1 Chaplain (must be in Terminator Armour)
    2+ Terminator or Terminator Assault Squads*
    2+ Tactical Squads
    1+ Dreadnought or Ironclad Dreadnought
    1+ Centurion Assault or Centurion Devastator Squad
    0+ Assault Squads
    0+ Devastator Squads

*One Terminator Squad must be equipped with a Banner of Stagnada for +X Points. This must be suitably shown on the model.

...Instead...Fists get the 3rd Company, led by the 1st Captain for some reason, who is already part of two other Apocalypse Formations. So dumb.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2013-10-24 at 10:33 PM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

16. - Top - End - #316
    Titan in the Playground

By the, when shooting at Tau, what should be the target priorities?
    Those guys with markerlights? or things like Riptides, Broadsides and Hammerheads?

17. - Top - End - #317
    Titan in the Playground

The more markerlights, the more the army will be relying on them. The more shots, the more an army can use them. Blast and barrage weapons kill pathfinders cold, so why not shoot both? Pathfinders should be your main infantry target.

18. - Top - End - #318

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    By the, when shooting at Tau, what should be the target priorities?
    Those guys with markerlights? or things like Riptides, Broadsides and Hammerheads?
    Well, obviously, it depends on your priorities. Generally speaking though, the Markerlights are indeed the deadliest part of the Tau arsenal; with most things at BS3, (and most markerlight squads producing at least 2 lights) they can kick that up to BS5 and nearly double the accuracy of whatever needs it right now.

Hammerheads can also be a big problem, and that's where your anti-tank fire should go probably.
    Last edited by shadow_archmagi; 2013-10-25 at 09:53 AM.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground

Ok thanks for the advice.

I am then going to split fire between the hammerhead and the pathfinders, while hoping that ignoring the Riptide wont come back to bite me in the ass :P

20. - Top - End - #320

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Ok thanks for the advice.

I am then going to split fire between the hammerhead and the pathfinders, while hoping that ignoring the Riptide wont come back to bite me in the ass :P
    Well, again, it's very situational. If the Riptide is in a position to do bad things, and you can direct a lot of firepower at it, go ahead and try to pop it.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Troll in the Playground

Also, if you can get an opportunity to hit their Sky Ray(s) before they can fire off their missile racks, do it. Killing (or Shaking or Stunning, even) a Sky Ray before it gets to shoot will save you a world of hurt. After it shoots its missiles, it's no longer much of a priority.
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Orc in the Playground

So I've got a full 2000 points Chaos force and a small Grey Knights I'm working on, but after seeing the Raptors chapter tactics it's inspired me to think of another army-the sniper army!

My idea is to take a Raptors force with Lias Issodon as the primary detachment, and then MORE snipers as an allied detachment. For that, there are two options: Tau with mass infiltrating kroot sniper hordes, or Eldar with rangers and Illic Nightspear. Which sounds better?
    Sup ho.

Avatar by the profilic kaptainkrutch.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Really, getting mad at a story for using tropes is about as sane as getting mad at the book it's printed in for using atoms.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Darthteej View Post
    My idea is to take a Raptors force with Lias Issodon as the primary detachment, and then MORE snipers as an allied detachment.
    ...Why?
    From a hobbyist perspective; Sure. Do whatever you want to do. Nothing anyone says can stop you.

From a game perspective; It's pointless. The purpose of bringing Allies is to bring something in from another Codex that yours can't already do.

What are Raptors doing?
    All Boltguns may fire as Rapid Fire, or Heavy 1, Rending. And it's 5th Edition 'Heavy', so you can't fire Snap Shots. Essentially what's happening, is every other turn you may turn into static Dire Avengers with not as many shots. 4+6+D3 still only tops out at 13 for Armour Pen. So, that's what's happening.

What do Kroot with Sniper Rounds give you? More of exactly the same, for 7 points per model, with less chance To Hit on a more fragile platform (T3, 6+). Can Kroot help you bust AV14? No. Entirely unhelpful. Even if they are only 7 points. Whatever points you spend on Kroot+HQ tax could be spent on Sternguard if you're really worried about T5+ stuff.

Illic is 140 Points. He's not a Psyker with Divination, so why are you bringing Eldar again? Then, onto Rangers, coming in at 12 points apiece. Are you aware that that's exactly the same cost as Sniper Scouts? And you don't need to pay the extra HQ tax? Do Rangers beat AV14? Also no. Bad. You could be buying up Sternguard. Or, just buy up Scouts with Boltguns, because they're still Raptors with Boltguns.

Which sounds better?
    The Kroot are better. Simply because there are more of them. But, it's still not the best idea.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2013-10-28 at 03:19 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

So, I'm reasonably set on Thousand Sons, despite knowing full well they are bad. Please help me make them less bad. Not meant for tournaments obviously, just some help at not losing quite as badly as I would have normally.

List the 1st
    Spoiler
    Show

HQ:
    Sorceror, Mark of Tzeentch, +2 Mastery Levels, Sigil of Corruption, Spell Familiar, VotLW, Melta Bombs. 175

Troops:
    8x Thousand Sons, 1x Aspiring Sorceror, Rhino Transport, MeltaBombs, 282

7x Thousand Sons, 1x Aspiring Sorceror, Rhino Transport, Meltabombs, 259

Heavy Support:
    Forge Fiend, Hades Autocannons, 175

Predator, Lascannon Sponsoons, 115

Predator, Lascannon Sponsoons, 115

Allies

HQ:
    Herald of Tzeentch, +1 Mastery Level, Exalted Locus of Conjuration, 95

Troops:
    11x Horrors of Tzeentch, 99

Fast Attack:
    9x Screamers of Tzeentch, 225

Total:1498

Maybe thinking about dropping 3 screamers for 3 flamers to get some ignores cover deepstriking template goodness, but unsure if 6 screamers will be enough to be effective. Would probably pick up another horror to take me to 1501 with left over points.

List the 2nd:
    Spoiler
    Show

HQ:
    Sorceror, Mark of Tzeentch, +2 Mastery Levels, Sigil of Corruption, Spell Familiar, VotLW, 170

Troops:
    8x Thousand Sons, 1x Aspiring Sorceror, Rhino Transport, MeltaBombs, 282

7x Thousand Sons, 1x Aspiring Sorceror, Rhino Transport, Meltabombs, 259

Fast Attack:
    Helldrake, 170

Heavy Support:

Allies

HQ:
    Herald of Tzeentch, +1 Mastery Level, Exalted Locus of Conjuration, Exalted Reward (Portal Glyph) 125

Troops:
    16x Horrors of Tzeentch, 144

Total:1500

Not sure about only 1 flyer, nor of the configuration, not to mention only having 4 vehicles on the board waiting for the Drake to come in, especially since it's only 2x AV12 and a pair of Rhinos. Meant to be a little more troops heavy (hence the portal glyph on the herald), but feels like I might be a touch short on anti tank.

I think I like the 2nd list a bit more, but I humbly await your constructive criticism, as long as it doesn't involve not playing 1k Sons. Should probably mention we're going for fluffy as well as somewhat effective, and yes, I know that limits me even further beyond the insistence on using 1k Sons.
    Last edited by Drasius; 2013-10-28 at 08:44 AM.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Out of curiosity, and yes I know 6th ed is very much shooty, what army would you say is the best Assault-oriented? I mean Nids used to seem the obvious choice but they've gone very shooty with TL Devo Flyrant, Hive Guard, and mass Gants.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Requizen View Post
    Out of curiosity, and yes I know 6th ed is very much shooty, what army would you say is the best Assault-oriented?
    Probably gonna be orks. never underestimate the power of 2/3 of a S4 attack per point.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Troll in the Playground

I think the contenders for best assault would probably be

• Blood Angels for their mobility
    • Space Wolves because of the thunderwolves
    • Chaos Marines because of the Berserkers and Juggerlords
    • Chaos Daemons because of the Bloodthirster and Princes
    • Tyranids because of the sheer number of spammables they get, and the fact that everything assaults
    • Orks because spammables much like above while being a bit harder to hurt
    • Tau because I wanted a silly option.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    Tau because I wanted a silly option.
    Tau vehicles win combat scarily often if you upgrade them right. Not that they can actually charge, but...
    Last edited by Jormengand; 2013-10-28 at 12:49 PM.

29. - Top - End - #329

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Tau vehicles win combat scarily often if you upgrade them right. Not that they can actually charge, but...
    I've actually heard tell of people using weaponless Crisis teams as assault units- They have low WS, sure, but they also have high STR and T and a 3+ armor save, so they tend to stick around for awhile.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post
    I've actually heard tell of people using weaponless Crisis teams as assault units- They have low WS, sure, but they also have high STR and T and a 3+ armor save, so they tend to stick around for awhile.
    Yup. And flamer + TL flamer is cheap enough, so you can do that first (or overwatch if your enemy charges you) and then get stuck in. Onager gauntlets are possibly also a go, though the cost will keep going up the more stuff they have.

Hells, even FWs with EMP grenades - half a squad of those can walk up to a LR and go "You have no land raider" without too much difficulty.
    Last edited by Jormengand; 2013-10-28 at 03:06 PM.