New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: a Very (un)Common Quest -ic

Ellie watches the scene unfolding before her, and can't quite believe what she's hearing. Where could they all have gone?

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive on the guards: (1d20-1)[15]

2. - Top - End - #122
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Rodney remembers the guards on the main road who were arresting residents of Ro, and whispers this in Tommy's ear.
    Last edited by inexorabletruth; 2013-10-01 at 03:00 PM.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:
    For the Republic of Ishtar! A 5E Campaign

My PbP color is dark red.
    My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

Jormengand's Advice on Character Development

3. - Top - End - #123
    Firbolg in the Playground

Randolph

Arriving long after the others, Randolph sees them once again at an impasse with a no-neck thug in a metal coat. Puffing out his chest and smoothing the sleeves on his new outfit, he walks past the townsfolk as if he does not know them.

"Stand aside! Stand aside you rabble!"

Hopefully distancing himself from the rest of the Ro refugees, he addresses the big man.

"You sir, bondsman! Where is the tradesman entrance? I hear tell they need a new minstrel after the... incident."

He waits for a reply before continuing.

Spoiler: Foot-in-the-door Bluff
    Show

(1d20+8)[17]
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

4. - Top - End - #124
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

After listening to Rodney, Tommy's eyes widen. He is quickly reminded of the mysterious guards that almost arrested their group. He offers a glance to Rodney before voicing this to the intimidating guard.

"Sir, on our way here, we encountered some strange guards that almost arrested us. Know anything about this?"

5. - Top - End - #125
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Everyone except Aldaer, who is still speaking with the mustachioed man:
    Ellie:
    Spoiler
    Show
    From you observations, the guards don't seem to know what you are talking about...

As Randolph approaches, the guard simply offers a grim stare at the eccentric man. When Randolph asks for an entrance, the guard sighs.

"Go ahead. Be quick," the guard says, nodding at the doorway.

As he waits for Randolph to pass through, he looks at the rest of the peasants before him.

"I know nothing about these guards that you speak of, peasants. Nor do I know anything about the people of your village."
    Last edited by Trivino; 2013-10-01 at 08:07 PM.

6. - Top - End - #126

Randolph

Not wasting any time, Randolph moves through the servant's entrance and waits for the chamberlain.

Spoiler: If I learned anything from Downton Abbey...
    Show
    Someone will be coming along to ask who the heck Randolph is.

On second thought, he moves along to avoid just a thing. He may at best be kicked out, or even killed on sight.
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2013-10-01 at 09:34 PM.
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

7. - Top - End - #127
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Randolph:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You find yourself walking through the large corridors of the castle. The vaulted ceilings hang high above you, as bright rays of sunlight light up the room. As you wander about, a well-dressed man notices you wandering through the castle. He makes quick work of addressing you, making a direct route to you. He's wearing a silk, green cap, and seems to be wearing makeup of some sort.

"Can I help you?"
    Last edited by Trivino; 2013-10-01 at 09:38 PM.

8. - Top - End - #128

yuk Re: a Very (un)Common Quest -ic

Randolph

With a low bow, Randolph introduces himself.

"Ah, my fine fellow! I am Randolph Hostlerson. I am the new minstrel your man in town hired! Er, where is my quarters? He promised me room and board."

He hand the painted man his quarterstaff as if assuming he is at his Randolph's service.

"Oh yes, the rest of my troupe will of course be staying at the inn. I don't suppose you will be funding their wardrobe...?" he says, hoping that the man will be more inclined to believe Randolph a nuisance and not an intruder.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+8)[23] bluff
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2013-10-01 at 11:33 PM. Reason: smart phone? more dumbphone. amirite?

9. - Top - End - #129
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Tommy watched in confusion as Randolph was let through without issue. He was ready to protest, but in the end decided it was best to have at least someone in the castle. Tommy looked over to the rest of his friends and offered a forced sigh.

"Well, I guess we aren't going to be getting entry then! Come now, let us venture through the town."

10. - Top - End - #130
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Randolph:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The green-hatted man drops your quarterstaff as he rolls his eyes. He holds a manicured hand to his face as he lets out a frustrated sigh. He mutters something unintelligible under his breath and finally looks back at you.

"Welcome then. If you are indeed our new mistral, the king could use you now. He's been a bigger headache then usual. Just follow this corridor and take a left."

11. - Top - End - #131

Randolph

"Well could I at least get you to let the rest of my troupe in? The poor folks are confused by doors. I can certainly recompense for your trouble..."

Randolph doles out ten, then five more for a total of 15 gp. He bends down and retrieves his staff.

Spoiler
    Show
    diplomacy check. If rebuffed, acts as though it is customary practise (I.e. bluff)

(1d20+5)[24] diplomacy
    (1d20+8)[21] bluff if needed

12. - Top - End - #132
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Randolph:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Very well, sir. I will recollect the rest of your friends..." the man says as he turns on his heels and begins walking towards the door.

Everyone else (besides Aldaer):
    As you all prepare to leave, a well-dressed man with a green hat comes out of the door and calls out to you.

"Excuse me! Peasants! Your comrade has requested that you visit him. Please, follow me." The man looks over to the hulking guard, and the guard backs away slowly.

13. - Top - End - #133

OldWizardGuy

Aldaer will nod his head to Geit, and say, "You are too kind. It would be most appreciated. I fear that my poor band will need all the help we can get before long."
    "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women."
    -Conan

"Hot water, good dentishtry and shoft lavatory paper"
    -Cohen

14. - Top - End - #134

BlackDragon

Ellie isn't quite sure what kind of game Randolph is up to, but she eagerly passes in and follows the man with the green hat. There's something weird going on here, and no one seems to care very much about the orcs.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Charles follows the man with a frown. He can't say he knows what's going on here, but he can say he doesn't like it.
    Spoiler: I got a cookie!
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Baveboi View Post
    Nersxe gets a cookie.

Spoiler: I write
    Show
    The Named, a superhero webnovel where names are everything. (Updated 3/14/14)

16. - Top - End - #136
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Aldaer:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Geit smiles in delight and leads you to a work station. Before he begins his lesson, he looks up at your expectantly.

"I do hate to do this, but perhaps you can spare an old man 5 Gold? Business has been a little slow..."

*If you oblige, Geit continues with his lesson, teaching you the fundamentals of being a good Archivist (now allowing you to level into into Archivist... and Trapsmith... haha).*

*If you reject, Geit pauses for a moment before remembering he had an errand he needed to run. He will direct you outside, then get to work himself.*

Everyone Else:
    Spoiler
    Show
    It doesn't take long before the green-hatted man leads the party to Randolph. He lets out a sigh before wandering away from the party. He reminds everyone that the king is simply down the corridor and to the left.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

"Come on, Randolph, let's go," Charles urges, "every second we wait here is a foot the orcs are moving closer to the castle."
    Show
    Nersxe gets a cookie.

Show

18. - Top - End - #138
    Troll in the Playground

Indeed.

Then, whispered as an aside to Randolf:

What's this about us being your band, though? You know I can't sing worth cow dung.
    Thanks to Pesimismrocks for my awesome avatar, and Gaiyamato for the game that inspired it!
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Able' Xanthis View Post
    This is what a properly motivated caster is like, people. Concussive explosions able to rip the front end of a hummer in twain and Chilling is using them to filter out those who don't make the cut. Those unworthy of his true magistic might.

19. - Top - End - #139

Randolph

"Look, my forte is getting us into things, as you all remember from the incident with that traveling priestess of..."

He looks at Ellie, his face coloring.

"Nevermind. Rodney, your job is getting me out of these messes."

He makes a 'get on with it' gesture and heads towards the king's location.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Everyone (except Aldaer):

As you walk into the king's court, you are immediately taken aback at the beautiful decor. Purple banners hang along the walls and guards seem to line your direct path to the king. The king sits on his throne, a frustrated look plastered on his face. He notices you walking in and readjusts the crown on his silvery head.

"Halt!" he orders. "Name yourselves at once!"

21. - Top - End - #141
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Rodney points at himself incredulously. "ME-E?! I never wanted to-" He cuts himself short as they make it to the throne room.

Seeing Randolph's gesture, he scoots forward timidly and stammers for a bit.

"I-me. You see, your kingship." He bows absurdly low. "Thwee" he gestures to his group "hast news of great… badness… upon thou." He adjusts his hat as he stands up, then suddenly remembers he probably shouldn't be wearing a hat, and takes it off, wrinkling it in his nervous grip. "Upon… thy… um. Kingship. ORCS!" He looks back for reassuring nods from the group. "Orcs in Ro! Val-said-to-leave-we-stayed-to h-..." He gasps as he looks at the confused face of the king. "Help, but he wanted us to go." He pauses awkwardly. "Send… for… h-h-help."
    Last edited by inexorabletruth; 2013-10-02 at 03:36 PM.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:
    For the Republic of Ishtar! A 5E Campaign

My PbP color is dark red.
    My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

Jormengand's Advice on Character Development

22. - Top - End - #142
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Tommy watched as his good friend Rodney struggled in the presence of the king. And rightfully so too! The king did not appear amused with the visit of peasants. Tommy took a deep breath and stepped forward next to the stressed Rodney.

"My friend here is correct, sir. We hail from Ro, home of the great Val, sending a message of warning. Orcs are on their way here, your majesty, and if action isn't taken soon, they will be upon the castle shortly."

Tommy looked over to Rodney and offered an encouraging nod.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Charles watches quietly and lets his friends handle the talking. As he has been repeatedly reminded (and recently, no less), he is not exactly the best when it comes to persuasion.
    Show
    Nersxe gets a cookie.

Show

24. - Top - End - #144

BlackDragon

Seeing Rodney falter, little Ellie decides to take matters into her own hands. She steps forward and addresses the king.

"Please, mister king, sir. These terrible orcs attacked our village, and we had to fight them off ourselves. But mister Val said more of them would be coming, and so we came to you, because surely our wise king would know what to do." She puts on her pitiful child act that usually works on adults, giving the monarch her pleading puppy dog eyes, capped off with an awkward curtsy.

Spoiler: Diplomacy
    Show
    (1d20)[5]
    Remember the circumstance bonus for being a cute little girl with puppy dog eyes!!...

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

Aaron follows the group into the throne room, very uncomfortable with what's happening. Entrance to the throne room did nothing to soothe his nerves as he adjusts his tattered cloak. He watches Rodney fumble over his words as Ellie steps in to try and help.

"Gods," Aaron thinks, "Now we need a child to assist us in diplomacy? There's no way this can end well."

Aaron does what he can to stay near the back, ready to run out of the room if his group gets too harsh of a reaction. He watches the king, silently praying to the first god he can think of that his group can get their act together.
    Humanized version of my first avatar made linklele.

Declared God of Chance and Creativity as well as Equestria's Master of the d20.

Quote Originally Posted by backwaterj View Post
    Love for the d12! Dudeons wins the game!

26. - Top - End - #146
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

The king looks down at the peasants of Ro that barged into his court and let out a sigh. He brushed off Ellie's poor diplomatic approach and looked over to Tommy and Charles.

"You say you are peasants? From Ro? And... you know of Val?"

27. - Top - End - #147

Randolph

Well here goes nothing...

"Your majesty!" says Randolph pressing his way to the front, Randolph doffs his hat and bows his lowest bow yet.

"Ro has fallen! The orcs are no doubt on a mission of destruction, and parties unknown have abducted those who escaped the onslaught. Brave Sir Val stands alone to guard our retreat so that we might bring word to you! In your infinite grace I beg you to aid us, your most humble of servants!"

Spoiler: Here's hoping Diplomacy remains successful
    Show
    (1d20+5)[12]

Gorramit.
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2013-10-02 at 04:49 PM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Troll in the Playground

Jackson bows low

It is as my friends have said, your Highness. I would add that on our way here, we were accosted by bandits claiming to be your Highness' soldiers. Claiming that you had ordered anyone traveling the roads arrested. We convinced them of the import of our mission, and we so allowed to continue. But I suspect that they are responsible for the abduction of our kinsmen.
    Thanks to Pesimismrocks for my awesome avatar, and Gaiyamato for the game that inspired it!
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Able' Xanthis View Post
    This is what a properly motivated caster is like, people. Concussive explosions able to rip the front end of a hummer in twain and Chilling is using them to filter out those who don't make the cut. Those unworthy of his true magistic might.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

"Filthy peasants! Disgracing my court, making threats upon my kingdom, and mentioning that filthy fiend Val... guards! Take them away at once!"

Before any protests can begin, the guards grab the peasants (can try to worm out, but it's highly unlikely you'll win the grapple check...), and lead them from the courts.

The peasants of Ro are led down a dingy staircase towards a dingy prison cell. It barely has enough room for everyone as everyone is crammed inside like sardines. A guard closes the iron gate and chuckles to himself as he locks the door. He orders for several guards to stand watch and disappears upstairs...

30. - Top - End - #150

Randolph

"You know, I am beginning to hate this town."

He looks down at his outfit.

"And filthy?! I paid three crowns for this outfit!"
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2013-10-02 at 05:52 PM.