New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: a Very (un)Common Quest -ic

Hmm... the "king" called our village headman, Val, a filthy fiend. Maybe he knows something worthwhile?... If the orcs haven't killed him.

Jackson frowns, saddened.
    Last edited by Chilingsworth; 2013-10-05 at 06:26 PM.
    Thanks to Pesimismrocks for my awesome avatar, and Gaiyamato for the game that inspired it!
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Able' Xanthis View Post
    This is what a properly motivated caster is like, people. Concussive explosions able to rip the front end of a hummer in twain and Chilling is using them to filter out those who don't make the cut. Those unworthy of his true magistic might.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Elrond looks over at Jackson, slightly confused. "Val? Hm... never heard of him. Well, if you believe he may know some answers, we will go search for him tomorrow. Do you know where he may be?"

3. - Top - End - #213
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Rodney calms down a bit and tries to focus on the solutions rather than the problems. "Val was a boring, self-righteous, preachy windbag who loved nothing more than the sound of his own voice, but he was no fiend. In fact, Val is the reason we're all still alive, and that makes him a hero in my book. But if he knew anything about this, he wouldn't have sent us to see the king. Regardless, I'm all for going to save him. He's the best in Ro with a sword, and if anyone's got a chance of surviving a horde of orc raiders, it's him. Waiting till dawn, however, seems like throwing all his chances of survival into the bonfire, doesn't it?"

He pauses for effect. "I don't speak for the group, but I'll help your cause any way I can... if we go and save Val first. I'm not interested in trusting a group that leaves a good man to die."
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:
    For the Republic of Ishtar! A 5E Campaign

My PbP color is dark red.
    My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

Jormengand's Advice on Character Development

4. - Top - End - #214
    Troll in the Playground

I don't know if Val would know anything. As Rodney says, if he knew a great deal, he wouldn't have sent us to the "king." Still, this pretender apparently knew of him. That means he might well have some role in this. Also, he is indeed the best our village has to offer, and should be saved on that account alone, if we can.
    Thanks to Pesimismrocks for my awesome avatar, and Gaiyamato for the game that inspired it!
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:
    This is what a properly motivated caster is like, people. Concussive explosions able to rip the front end of a hummer in twain and Chilling is using them to filter out those who don't make the cut. Those unworthy of his true magistic might.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Ellie realizes that these discussions are important, and the idea of a missing king sounded interesting. But as her stomach growls, her interest wanes. She asks Elrond a different question.

"Do you have any food? We haven't eaten in ages!" Then she adds, thoughtfully, "I have money to pay for it..."

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Charles shakes his head. "If we're going to try getting the rightful king back on the throne, Val can help. Regardless of whether or not he knows anything, he's a good man, and he took on at least half those orcs we fought back at the village."
    Spoiler: I got a cookie!
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Baveboi View Post
    Nersxe gets a cookie.

Spoiler: I write
    Show
    The Named, a superhero webnovel where names are everything. (Updated 3/14/14)

7. - Top - End - #217
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Elrond looks up into the sky, staring up at the countless stars shining back down. He nods his head slowly as he appears to be processing what the peasants of Ro are saying.

"If you all believe Val can be of help, then perhaps we should go get him. However, it is getting late, and you are hardly trained for combat. Would you rather wait a day, get some rest, and learn a little more about combat, or do you just want to go now, as ill-prepared as you may be?"

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Charles thinks for a few seconds, his crisis-inspired confidence draining away. A huge yawn decides for him. "I need sleep."
    Show
    Nersxe gets a cookie.

Show

9. - Top - End - #219
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

"The longer we wait, the more likely it is Val is dead. For all we know, he may be dying now, or worse. An' if he did somehow make his escape, he could be headin' to see the king an' face the same fate we faced. I don't think I can find him alone. Hell... I'm not even sure where we are. If it's the groups will to stay, I'll stay, but I think that would be the best way to assure Val's death."
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

10. - Top - End - #220
    Troll in the Playground

If we waited long enough to complete my Mage's apprenticeship, Val might die of old age before we're ready. Or am I wrong? But if you have a spare crossbow and some bolts, I'll be able to contribute something.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

11. - Top - End - #221

BlackDragon

Ellie walks towards the tent and the fire, but keeps her distance from the half-orc. When someone else from the camp passes by, she asks, "Would you share a bite to eat? I've been sitting in a prison for hours..."

If necessary, she repeats her query to a couple others before giving up, dejected.
    Last edited by Newcomer; 2013-10-06 at 09:29 PM.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Firbolg in the Playground

Randolph

Resigned, Randolph looks for a suitable hedge to sleep under.

Spoiler
    Show
    And here's hoping no random encounters...
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

13. - Top - End - #223
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Randolph:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You get some sleep...

Ellie:
    Spoiler
    Show
    As you wander about the camp looking for something to eat, you come across an Elf. The young Elven woman looks down at you, offering a gentle smile.

"You poor soul! Here follow me, I'll be sure to fill you up!" the Elf offers as she darts into a nearby tent. The aroma from the tent suggests that she was serious about filling you up!

Elrond looks over the party and shrugs.

"So have we made a decision yet? Will we be going to get your Val or resting up? I would recommend getting at least some basic training before we head out though. We would be of little use to this Val character if we aren't able to defend ourselves."

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Charles listens to Elrond, then turns to Rodney, his body language drooping bit by bit the longer they stand there.

"I don't mean that I want to leave Val, but I need sleep," Charles says, fatigue evident in his voice, "I've been up since before dawn preparing skins, and none of us have eaten. If we try to get Val, I'll be more harm than help, and I don't think I'm the only one."
    Show
    Nersxe gets a cookie.

Show

15. - Top - End - #225
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Tommy steps forward next to Charles and nods.

"I agree, we need to take care of ourselves before we head out to Val. We would be more of a hindrance than a help in our current conditions. Now, let's find something to eat, get some rest, and perhaps get a little training in."

16. - Top - End - #226
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Rodney starts to protest against Charles, but sees the group slowly disintegrate into the crowd, seeking food or sleep and realizes he's beaten.

That's when he stops to take stock of the group. "First Val, then Randolph." He droops his head to observe the patterns his worn shoe draws in the dirt. His expression is forlorn as he recounts what he considers to be the dead. "What the hell is-" he pauses and looks up with a confused look on his face. "Hey... has anyone seen Aldear?"
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

17. - Top - End - #227
    Troll in the Playground

Jackson sighs.

Charles is right. But I'd like to know more about what you hope to teach us.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

18. - Top - End - #228

BlackDragon

Ellie is momentarily wary about following the strange elf into her tent, but the aroma of food is too much. Besides, these people seem to be friends.

So she follows the elf into the aromatic tent, her mouth beginning to water.

"Oh, thank you very much, ma'am!" Then she thinks to herself, ...can you call an elf ma'am?

19. - Top - End - #229
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Elrond shoots a glance over at Jackson and smiles.

"We will talk in the morning. Now get some rest!"

Elrond quickly turns on his heels and points the party to their tent for the night. As darkness comes over the camp, everyone manages to get a full night's rest in before the sun rises in the morning.

Aldaer and Randolph
    Spoiler
    Show
    As the sun begins to rise over the horizon, you awaken to find an Elf staring down at you. He looks you over, slightly confused, and sheaths his weapon after checking you out.

"You... are you with those other peasants?"

As the sun comes over the camp, you awaken to a loud yell from the camp. A quick glance outside of the tent reveals the Half-Orc laughing hysterically at a comment from Elrond. Elrond notices you waking and makes quick work of approaching you.

"Good morning! Now, I believe we are just about ready to find this Val of yours. Now, how about some quick training? Anyone want to learn archery? Stealth? Power? Magic? Let me know now before we head out!"

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC- This is where you learn enough to begin to branch into another class, so simply tell Elrond what you wish to learn.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Charles flinches at the half-orc's laughter, but steps up when Elrond calls for it. "Archery," he says without hesitation, "and stealth."

Spoiler: Class Training
    Show
    Going for ranger, here, with scout as an acceptable alternative.
    Show
    Nersxe gets a cookie.

Show

21. - Top - End - #231
    Troll in the Playground

Well, I'd like to finish my mage's apprenticeship. So, magic.

But, do we really have enough time?

Also, if you have a light crossbow to spare, I'd appreciate a loan.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:

22. - Top - End - #232

Randolph

Rage welled up in his throat.

So they go ang live with the elves while I get left to die. Rodney was always jealous of me.

He nods curtly at the elf, wary of his weapon still near at hand.
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2013-10-08 at 09:03 PM.
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

23. - Top - End - #233
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Tommy offers a devilish grin at the offer from Elrond.

"I want to learn how to wield a sword!" Tommy declares excitedly.

24. - Top - End - #234

OldWizardGuy

Aldaer will ignore the alarms from his psicrystal, who was watching. The elf had startled him, a rarity in these parts for sure.

"I'm not sure I know you friend, or trust you. I am looking for some of my friends, but they were in the castle, talking to the king. You must have me mistaken, my good man."

While delighted to see an elf, Aldaer did not trust this stranger. Best to have him off, and get back to the search.
    "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women."
    -Conan

"Hot water, good dentishtry and shoft lavatory paper"
    -Cohen

25. - Top - End - #235

BlackDragon

When Ellie awakes, she feels great. The day before was a crazy day, but it was thrilling and exciting, too. And so much food! She ate so much before bed that she didn't think she'd be able to walk today.

At the prospect of training, Ellie isn't quite sure how to respond. "Umm.. well, I'm little and not very strong. If I have to fight, I want to have surprise on my side. People don't usually think I can handle things, but being underestimated can be an advantage." She thinks a bit more about it. "I like to climb on things and hide in corners.. and think before striking.. So train me at whatever that sounds most like??"

Spoiler
    Show
    As you'll recall, I'm going for swashbuckler and rogue levels, please!

26. - Top - End - #236
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Randolph:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Elf leads you carefully through the woods, and in a few minutes, you find yourself standing at the center of a camp. You notice Tommy holding a large sword, Ellie and Charles sneaking there away around, and Jackson reading a small book. The other peasants of Ro seem to be occupied doing tasks as well. The Elf looks you up and down as your guide walks away.

"Name's Elrond. And you are?"

Aldaer:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Elf shrugs. "Very well. We just had some peasants come from a nearby prison camp so I expected you to be a part of their group. Have a nice day then!"

As the Elf disappears into the woods, you find yourself alone again in the woods. As you take a moment to examine your surroundings, you find that you've disturbed a nearby snake. The snake hisses at you before attacking. It tries to bite you, but barely misses... (your move. You are within 5-feet of the enemy as a point of reference.)

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground

Aaron woke up, feeling much better after getting some sleep. He gets up and heads out. He meets with Elrond, who is discussing the concept of training. Aaron thinks for a while, glancing at the ground as he ponders this concept. He looks up after a minute or two.

"I want to learn how to fight," Aaron says, "Intelligently, with precision and power. And incorporating my shovel into combat."

Aaron unslings his shovel from his back and looks it over.

"I've used it to fend off people invading my graveyard before," he says, "I think it'll do the trick for me anywhere else, too."

Aaron looks away from Elrond, wondering if he was asking too much or if his request sounded dumb. Whoever heard of using a shovel as a weapon of choice? Despite this, the shovel simply felt more comfortable in his hands than any sword ever would be.

Spoiler
    Show
    Until I meet the prerequisites for that Soul Reaper prestige class, I think I'm going to try going into Monk.
    Humanized version of my first avatar made linklele.

Declared God of Chance and Creativity as well as Equestria's Master of the d20.

Quote Originally Posted by backwaterj View Post
    Love for the d12! Dudeons wins the game!

28. - Top - End - #238

Randolph

Knowing a toff when he sees one, Randolph bows low and introduces himself in Elven.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+5)[22] diplomacy
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2013-10-08 at 11:43 PM.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Rodney spends most of his night getting to know the people at the campsite, making connections, telling jokes and asking questions. Consequently, he's the last to awaken when the elf calls them all out to begin training.

Gather Info: (1d20+3)[13]
    Diplomacy?: (1d20+5)[7]

His left arm is completely asleep and his right cheek is crusted in drool when he drags his weary body out of the tent. He half listens to the elf prattle on about training or whatever as he stumbles toward the coffee. "Izzat hameneggs?" He mumbles to the cook as he clutches the handle of the coffee pot and reverently pours its contents into a cup. "I'll-uhh… I'll take sommathat."

After setting himself up with some nice breakfast and slams the hot coffee down his throat, he smacks his lips a few times then rubs the sleep out of his eyes. It occurs to him that this was an opportunity he shouldn't be missing.

"Hey! Hey Elrond!" He takes his plate and runs up to the elf, stuffing his plate as he goes. "Y'know. Iwaffinkin'." He swallows. "I met a bard once. Passed through Ro. He said I had a knack fer it, ya know? Said I got what it takes to make a good bard too." His stomach growls and he answers with another mouthful. "Faid I fould tryta lookimup an' he'd teaf me." He wipes his greasy hand on his dirty tunic and looks down at his empty plate as he swallows again. "I hear bards make good money. Magic, swords… all that rubbish takes second to cold hard cash in the real world, am I right?" He chuckles awkwardly and nudges Elrond with his elbow in a jovial manner. "Plus, he had a power with words. Had a way of makin' people listen. I wanna be like that. A guy like him coulda' got the king ta change his mind an' go save Val, I'd bet."
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

30. - Top - End - #240
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

After a quick hour of training, Elrond has the peasants of Ro meet up.

"Our new comrades, it is time to go and rescue this man Val that you speak of. May we be swift and powerful. To the true king of Waelti!" Elrond says as he raises his sword.

The others at the camp give a cheer as Elrond leads the party out of the camp and through the forest, leaving the rest of the forces behind. He warns everyone to be careful of potential dangers in the forest, so watch yourselves!

Spoiler
    Show
    Everyone at the camp gains a level... outside of Commoner! Your choice, just know you won't be able to multiclass until further notice.