Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Krimm_Blackleaf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Necrolock - For your undead loving warlock

    Necrolock

    Malor Vedaness, a Necrolock

    Necrolocks are masters of death because of thier abyssal heritage from the demon lord of undeath, Orcus. Necrolocks are often brooding, dark warriors of undeath striving for power and more corpses to fuel thier armies.
    (If you have more or better flavor text, feel free to post it, but I want to keep the Orcus heritage)

    HD: d6

    Requirements
    Alignment: any nongood
    Skills: Knowledge (religion) 8 ranks, Knowledge (arcana) 4 ranks
    Feats: Tomb-tainted soul
    Invocations Known: The Dead Walk, Eldritch Blast +3d6

    Class skills: Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Disguise (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (the planes) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), and Use Magic Device (Cha).
    Skill-points per level: 2+Int modifier.

    {table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Invoking
    1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|The Dead Walk longer |+1 level of existing invoking class
    2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|Dark Blast|+1 level of existing invoking class
    3rd|+2|+1|+1|+3|Death's Minion|+1 level of existing invoking class
    4th|+3|+1|+1|+4|Greater Dark Blast|+1 level of existing invoking class
    5th|+3|+1|+1|+4|Substitute Onyx|--
    [/table]

    Weapon and armor proficiency: Necrolocks gain proficiency with the scythe and no armor or shield proficiencies.

    The Dead walk longer (Su): Necrolocks are masters of animating corpses. When using The Dead Walk invocation the animated corpses stay animated an extra number of minutes equal to thier Necrolock level. This only works when the appropriate material componants are not used; when they are they follow the normal rules.

    Invoking: At each level except fifth, you gain new invocations known, increased damage with your eldritch blast, and an increase in invoker level as if you had also gained a level in the warlock class. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained.

    Dark Blast (Su): Whenever you use your eldritch blast invocation you may opt to make the blast deal half it's full normal damage as negative energy. If using the blast to heal damage to the undead you may ignore the damage they would recieve and gain half full damage as negative energy healing.

    Death's Minion (Ex): When a Necrolock reaches 3rd level they gain some of the powers of thier great ancestor, Orcus. You gain immunity to disease and poison and a +4 to all other fortitude saving throws unless it would also affect an object, such as a disintegrate spell.

    Greater Dark Blast (Su): Your necromantic internal energies become more powerful and fire forth in deadly blasts. This functions just like Dark Blast except it also bestows a single negative level on those it strikes. This also heals the undead with the full eldritch blast damage and if they recieve more healing than they have hit points they gain the excess in temporary hitpoints. Multiple blasts do not stack when giving undead temporary hitpoints.

    Substitute Onyx (Su): Necrolocks hit the peak of necromantic warlock prowess at 5th level. Whenever they use The Dead Walk invocation they can choose to ignore the material componants and give permenant duration to thier invocation. This overlaps and replaces The Dead Walk longer.
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2007-03-08 at 09:21 PM.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

    Spoiler
    Show



    Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf


  2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Winged One's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005

    Default Re: Necrolock - For your undead loving warlock

    I suggest changing the single non-invocation gaining level to 5th rather than 1st, so that it's compensated for by Substitute Onyx, rather than The Dead Walk Longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus View Post
    However, the general consensus about the best way to stop a monster from attacking is to kill it. In the case of undead, we recommend killing it again.
    2 useful principles for keeping roleplaying games fun.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Krimm_Blackleaf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Necrolock - For your undead loving warlock

    Sounds good, anyone else have anything to add?
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

    Spoiler
    Show



    Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf


  4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground
     
    GreenSorcererElf

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Oregon
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Necrolock - For your undead loving warlock

    I suggest changing Greater Dark Blast, it makes Utterdark Blast, something the Necrolock should be eagerly awaiting, a lot less special. Maybe let it apply one negative level as a minor version of Utterdark. The difference would be that this one has no save to prevent it. So the Necrolock has two options: blast for half negative energy+one guaranteed negative level, or get Utterdark Blast and blast for full negative energy and chance of two negative levels.
    Attention Imgur Users! Imgur apparently doesn't like hosting images anymore and only works in certain places or for people who already have the image cached: No one can see your avatars or images!

    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Krimm_Blackleaf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Necrolock - For your undead loving warlock

    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    I suggest changing Greater Dark Blast, it makes Utterdark Blast, something the Necrolock should be eagerly awaiting, a lot less special. Maybe let it apply one negative level as a minor version of Utterdark. The difference would be that this one has no save to prevent it. So the Necrolock has two options: blast for half negative energy+one guaranteed negative level, or get Utterdark Blast and blast for full negative energy and chance of two negative levels.
    Hmm, interesting. Sounds good.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

    Spoiler
    Show



    Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf


  6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Maerok's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Akron
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Necrolock - For your undead loving warlock

    Cool. I'm a fan of econo-necromancy; Substitute Onyx would tempt me towards playing a warlock.

    Edit: Not really a fan of Orcus as a necro-'god' though.
    Last edited by Maerok; 2006-12-29 at 07:49 PM.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Krimm_Blackleaf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Necrolock - For your undead loving warlock

    Quote Originally Posted by Maerok View Post
    Cool. I'm a fan of econo-necromancy; Substitute Onyx would tempt me towards playing a warlock.

    Edit: Not really a fan of Orcus as a necro-'god' though.
    Not much of a necro god, just a powerful demon with alot of affinity for undeath, no matter how much he hates it.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

    Spoiler
    Show



    Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf


  8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location

    Default Re: Necrolock - For your undead loving warlock

    So I have to worship and get my powers only from Orcus? What if there is no Orcus? Or Warlock are fey. Or the warlock already has background, and wants to get into this class? He can't, since a non-undeath almost-god dosen't give him powers?
    "I reject your reality, and subsitute my own" -Adam Savage

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Krimm_Blackleaf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Necrolock - For your undead loving warlock

    Quote Originally Posted by Fireball.Man.Guy. View Post
    So I have to worship and get my powers only from Orcus? What if there is no Orcus? Or Warlock are fey. Or the warlock already has background, and wants to get into this class? He can't, since a non-undeath almost-god dosen't give him powers?
    I never said you have to worship him. The flavor of the class that I made up was that you're descended from him. I like the thought of warlocks with demonic ancestry and besides, there are little necromantic fey I know of and Orcus seemed like the best choice for an undead oriented demon/warlock class.

    But flavor can be changed, do it however you feel. I don't mind.
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2007-01-04 at 10:55 PM.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

    Spoiler
    Show



    Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf


  10. - Top - End - #10
    Library Lovers Contest Winner
     
    Duke of URL's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Necrolock - For your undead loving warlock

    Quote Originally Posted by Krimm_Blackleaf View Post
    I never said you have to worship him. The flavor of the class that I made up was that you're descended from him. I like the thought of warlocks with demonic ancestry and besides, there are little necromantic fey I know of and Orcus seemed like the best choice for an undead oriented demon/warlock class.

    But flavor can be changed, do it however you feel. I don't mind.
    I thought Warlocks were the result of a compact with a devil, demon, or fey, not (necessarily) descended from one -- you can be a descendant of the person making the original compact instead of the person originally making the compact.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Krimm_Blackleaf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Necrolock - For your undead loving warlock

    Quote Originally Posted by Duke of URL View Post
    I thought Warlocks were the result of a compact with a devil, demon, or fey, not (necessarily) descended from one -- you can be a descendant of the person making the original compact instead of the person originally making the compact.
    As I said, change the flavor however you want. And I think you have the word pact a little mixed up. Compact is to make something smaller.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

    Spoiler
    Show



    Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf


  12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Fax Celestis's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Fairfield, CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Necrolock - For your undead loving warlock

    Compact can be used that way correctly. It means "contract".

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Krimm_Blackleaf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Necrolock - For your undead loving warlock

    Quote Originally Posted by Fax_Celestis View Post
    Compact can be used that way correctly. It means "contract".
    Really? This I did not know.
    My apologies.
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2007-01-05 at 06:30 PM.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

    Spoiler
    Show



    Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf


  14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Dancin' away
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Necrolock - For your undead loving warlock

    I believe pact is a more used version of the word these days.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Library Lovers Contest Winner
     
    Duke of URL's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Necrolock - For your undead loving warlock

    Quote Originally Posted by Krimm_Blackleaf View Post
    Greater Dark Blast (Su): Your necromantic internal energies become more powerful and fire forth in deadly blasts. This functions just like Dark Blast except it also bestows a single negative level on those it strikes. This also heals the undead with the full eldritch blast damage and if they recieve more healing than they have hit points they gain the excess in temporary hitpoints.
    This seems a bit overpowered, at least with regards to the temporary hit point gain. Unless there are limits placed on the usage of this ability/invocation, which would go against the general tenets of Warlocks, you could essentially give infinite hit points to your undead minions. Pair that with the 5th level ability to make the summoning permanent, and you have a Warlock with essentially an invincible army (Dismissal and Dispel are the only valid counters).

    If you still want to give temporary HP, perhaps limit the max temporary HP to the sum of (or some multiple of the sum of) the character's Warlock and Necrolock levels.


    My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Krimm_Blackleaf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Necrolock - For your undead loving warlock

    Quote Originally Posted by Duke of URL View Post
    This seems a bit overpowered, at least with regards to the temporary hit point gain. Unless there are limits placed on the usage of this ability/invocation, which would go against the general tenets of Warlocks, you could essentially give infinite hit points to your undead minions. Pair that with the 5th level ability to make the summoning permanent, and you have a Warlock with essentially an invincible army (Dismissal and Dispel are the only valid counters).

    If you still want to give temporary HP, perhaps limit the max temporary HP to the sum of (or some multiple of the sum of) the character's Warlock and Necrolock levels.
    Hmm, I suppose I never thought of it. How about this, the temorary hitpoints have a very limited amount of time before they go away. Say, 3 rounds per necrolock level?
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

    Spoiler
    Show



    Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •