New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Rise of the Runelords [PF Gestalt] (IC)

With a look of complete shock, Du grips the wooden handle on her scythe loudly enough that the creaking sound can be heard and she steps back carefully and guarded, readying a total defense.

"You need to qualify that statement ..."
    Current Games
    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Dušana Essert(Zeta), & Fathi (Phi) and Hülya (Eta) Sharif of House al-Din
    Legacy of Fire: Water Prince Rafiq Karim
    Rise of the Runelords: Keghart Valdemar & Valbard the Velociraptor
    Savage Tide: Rabbi Eliezer "Lazer" Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth
    Serpent's Skull: Harsk! (yes, that one)
    Shattered Star: Lilim
    Strange Aeons: Dorn

2. - Top - End - #152
    Colossus in the Playground

"Yeah. I used to play with goblins when I was kid. We had a lot of fun."

Celiss asks, "What do you mean by 'fun?'"

She is likewise getting ready for battle.

"We used to grab goblins by the neck and do a sing-songy:

'Mama had a goblin for a baby and its head popped off!'

"Then, we popped their head off if we could like human kids do with dandelions."

11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

Dušana, despite her best efforts, turns her heads down to the ground and shakes it and starts to laugh ... and then she laughs again, but more freely.
    Current Games
    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Dušana Essert(Zeta), & Fathi (Phi) and Hülya (Eta) Sharif of House al-Din
    Savage Tide: Rabbi Eliezer "Lazer" Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth

4. - Top - End - #154

Celiss, on the other hand, doesn't laugh. She simply groans and rolls her eyes.

Well, fast forward to the next foray ...

Back in the Catacombs. So, you take a long passageway with stairs heading upwards. as before. You head up and water ripples quietly in a circular pool lined with skulls here. Smears of what looks like blood mars the pool's rim in places.

You and Radish are surprised by a sudden shape zooming down from above.

"Varouille!!" shouts Celiss. "Protect your ears if you can. Its scream paralyzes!"

She throws her hands overhead as if to direct rather than protect. Still, it doesn't matter because the magical effect takes up a 30' cube, easily filling up the entire room. It is a three-dimensional energy grid that channels pure axiomatirc power. The thing in question is shredded and falls to the ground. Kurgol is injured for a whopping 21 axiomatic energy, You are not protected, either, though you accept some of the philosphies that attempt to fix itself in your mind, and you only take 7 axiomatic energy. Radish, an animal with no care about ethical stances, likewise only takes 7 axiomatic.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Spellcraft
    Show
    What's the spell effect? Spellcraft (1d20+8)[19]

You didn't mention casting, so was it an SLA? If so, I understand I'll take a penalty.
    Current Games

6. - Top - End - #156

The power, style, and origin of the magic is so bizarre and unnatural that it is outside of Dušana's expertise, not to mention exposure.
    Show

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

Shaking her head, the menhir savant woozily says, "What power was that?! It injured me, and burned into my mind as if everything had turned to stone. And what is this 'varouille?'"

Dušana will look at the remains.
    Current Games

8. - Top - End - #158

You and Radish are surprised by a sudden shape zooming down from above.

"Varouille!!" shouts Celiss. "Protect your ears if you can. It's scream paralyze!"

She throws her hands overhead as if to direct rather than protect. Still, it doesn't matter because the magical effect takes up a 30' cube, easily filling up the entire room. It is a three-dimensional energy grid that channels pure axiomatirc power. The thing in question is shredded and falls to the ground. Kurgol is injured for a whopping 21 axiomatic energy, You are not protected, either, though you accept some of the philosphies that attempt to fix itself in your mind, and you only take 7 axiomatic energy. Radish, an animal with no care about ethical stances, likewise only takes 7 axiomatic.

R1T20: Radish croaks in pain, as the harshness of law tries to imprint itself on the neutral instincts of the animal.

R1T11: Kurgol appears dazed.

R1T10: What do Du do?
    Show

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

Not understanding the nature of the threat that Celiss dispatched quickly with this powerful spell, she nevertheless takes out a healing potion and takes a 5' step to Kurgol. If she can, she will pour it down his gullet if he lets her. "What ... what was that? What did you do?"
    Current Games

10. - Top - End - #160

"That was a vargouille," says Celiss, and yet she is on guard. "It is a horrible creature that paralyzes with a shriek and then its kiss slowly turns you into something like itself. It comes from the worlds of entropy and evil in the Great Beyond. The spell hurt you somewhat because your ties to nature require you to be more open to unreliable thinking, but Kurgol is truly affected because all he knows is wild action and savagery."

Kurgol comes out of his stupor, shouts in a rage, and charges Celiss. She was already readied for this response and she casts charm person and says, "Settle down. We can pull out of here if you want, but that flying head you see there could have done far, far worse."

It is obvious that he is charmed, though that may be an issue later. He comes out of his rage, and nods. "Sorry. Animal impulse. But, ow ... that really hurt."
    Show

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

"You're right. I would just be wasting healing potions. Let's get back so the three of us can recover."

Given that Du, Radish, and Kurgol were all hurt, there is the faintest hint of accusation in her statement.
    Current Games

12. - Top - End - #162

You get back to the grove, and re-align your druid spells. Assuming your boost your healing spells with the power of ley lines, you heal Kurgol of 9. Attending to yourself, you fully heal. You whisper into your scythe for an hour for secrets of health. Since your ley line power only defines spellcasting and does not specify druidic spellcasting, you give Kurgol 6. While he is not fully healed, with some rest he should be good in the morning.

Anything? or, go right to the next morning?
    Show

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

Definitely the next morning. I will ask Celiss to assist me in tending to Kurgol. I am so tapped out of both magics right now, I am probably not doing well.
    Current Games

14. - Top - End - #164

In the Harrow for the day, the suit is the Crown (CHA). The actual card is The Tyrant (LE) which indicates a ruler who is a blight upon those ruled. The dragon might indicate a monarch, overseer, or the head of a household. Whoever this person is, he does harm to those over whom he holds sway, whether he realizes it or not. Misaligned, it shows a tyrant revealed or dethroned.

How do you wish to interpret this, and what suggestions do you make?
    Show

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

"There could be more to these Catacombs of ... what shall we call them? I guess, because of the sinspawn we can call them Catacombs of Wrath. And I'm sure there are. But we don't know that it's part of what we're doing and it may be a sidetrack. It seems a fine adventure, but evil below has been there for some time. It's the evil above, the goblins, that bother me. And I'm sure they are not on our lazy timeline. I'm for Thistletop to deal with the threat there. We can go exploring 'for sport' later. Honestly, I have no desire to start messing with any more demons until I can get a handle on how I might better use my powers."
    Current Games

16. - Top - End - #166

"Beating goblins sounds better'n' messin' with demons," says Kurgol. "I agree with her, though whatever you desire is your command, Celiss."

You can't tell if that was sarcasm, or if Celiss simply hasn't released the charm. If the latter, was it out of forgetfulness or design? Hmmm ...

Celiss nods. "Not that we should ignore that danger, but you're right. Our current concern is what seems to be the possibility of an army of goblins getting ready to overrun Sandpoint."
    Show

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, Du is the junior in all of this, so it's up to Celiss to lead the way.
    Current Games

18. - Top - End - #168

As if to perfectly interrupt ... a croaking from Radish is followed by a knock at Dušana's door. When you open it up, you see Shalelu Andosana there. If you remember, Shalelu is a local elven hunter who is known as something of an unofficial scout for the city, as well as a famed goblin-hunter.

"The mayor asked me to check in with you, Ms. Essert," she says to you. "I've been given a report from her, and Ameiko is my best friend. She doesn't have the means, but if you intend to cause havoc with the enemy before they might attack, count me in. I want to avenge Ameiko's father against the goblins. Besides, I hear an old enemy of mine - a bugbear by the name of Bruthazmus - has joined forces with the goblins."

Spoiler: Shalelu Andosana
    Show
    Show

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

"I, for one, am very happy to have you along. Your knowledge of the area and the enemy will be invaluable. We saw the name 'Bruthazmus' in Tsuto's journal."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Before I go on, what does Du know about bugbears?
    Current Games

20. - Top - End - #170

You have no idea. Sure, you've heard of bugbears, but as a real creature they are ... as are so many creatures to rural humans ... seen as a bogeyman with various features attributed to them. You are too detached from society to have knowledge of the various races of humanoids.

However, after perusal of Tsuto's journal, you probably fielded this question to Celiss. A bugbear is the strongest of goblinkind. Tall, powerful, stealthy, and cunning. However, their natures are much more brutish and they make poor leaders. Hobgoblins, though not as powerful, are usually the most capable of goblinkind since they are focused and organized. Though in a one-on-one fight the former is likely to beat the latter, in mixed goblinoid company hobgoblins are likely to lead, and bugbears seem to be fine with that.

Regardless, Bruthazmus is likely the same ... tall, powerful, stealthy, and cunning. And since Shalelu is a well-known goblin-hunter, he is likely to be much more capable than his brethren. For her to name him as something of a recurring nemesis makes him impressive ..... and quite dangerous, to be sure.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well," Du says ruefully. "I guess we were bound to meet tougher goblins. But I've nearly died just from the 'normal' ones. I'm worried, but I'm committed. Let's go, I guess."
    Current Games

22. - Top - End - #172

Following the Lost Coast Road, Shalelu says that it should only take 2 hours to reach the area of Thistletop.

Kurgol says, "Ambush up ahead."

Sure enough, everyone sees a few goblins on each side of the road with a shortbow with faces poking behind bushes or trees waiting to shoot them.

"Allow me to take the front," says Celiss, "but continue on ahead."

The party simply saunters as if nothing was noticed, but once Celiss gets within 30', her countenance suddenly becomes terrifying to behold as she looks at one side of the road. All three goblins on that side give shrill, frightened screams and drop their bows.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #173

R1T23-18: All three of the panicking goblins go shrieking into the forest.

R1T17: "We can't let them get away!" calls Shalelu. She takes deadly aim and lets loose with an arrow at each of the goblins. Each arrow hits for 15, 13, and 11. Two of the goblins drop, and the other is badly wounded so as to now stumble.

R1T15-12: Enraged, three other goblins on the side of the road have cover behind a tree but fire on her, with all three arrows just glancing aside of her beautiful studded leather.

R1T11: Kurgol moves an incredible 40' towards the disabled goblin in the woods, taking out a masterwork tomahawk and throws it into the goblin's back for 6, dropping it. All of the goblins on the northern side of the road have already been dispatched.

R1T10: Celiss holds out her hand, and without a word this glowing energy grid of pure mathematic perfection surrounds the southern goblins. One manages to resist well for 1, another takes 3, but a third takes a full 8 (max). She then closes on the one, rapier in hand, to the goblin that was barely affected. "It seems that while malicious," she calls to the party, "they are not as truly given to mindless chaos as I had originally thought."

R1T9: Du, your turn.

Shalelu on deck, goblins in the hole ...
    Show

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

They got this, and I'm neither wasting magic nor exposing myself or Radish to injury needless. This battle was over before it began. Delay.
    Current Games

25. - Top - End - #175

R2T17: Shalelu comes back onto the road, now within range of the other goblins. She casts a quick spell and a spurt of acid shoots out to just hit the barely wounded goblin for 4 acid, causing it to scream in pain.

R2T15-12: That goblin does what best it can, its dogslicer slamming against her scaled skin, while the other likewise begins to step around and misses her. The third goblin steps out of the forest and takes off down the Lost Coast Road.

R2T11: Kurgol races out of the forest to catch up with it.

R2T10: The lone goblin turns Celiss' rapier aside.

R3T17: Shalelu fires a volley of arrows into the air, and all three strike the goblin down with deadly effect.

R3T13: The last isn't paying attention to how alone he is and gives as fine a slice as his late brother did, but the blade slams against the cambion's hard skin.

R3T11: Kurgol moves like a racing animal down the road to stand aside Celiss.

R3T10: This last one must have been the leader, for his attack and parries are excellent.

R4T17: Shalelu again casts that spell to hit it for 4 acid. The creature screams curses in Goblin, but sees that it has nowhere to run.

R4T13: This time he switches targets to the half-orc, but Kurgol deftly gets out of the way.

R4T11: But it then sweeps at an angle while ducking to easily deflect Kurgol's own attempt to strike him.

R4T10: As Celiss attacks, the goblin manages to deflect her own rapier down to just miss piercing her own foot.

R5T17: Another 6 acid from Shalelu drops the goblin, finally.

Combat is over ... and efforts to to make sure all goblins are dead are conducted, then hidden off the side of the road.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

Check the bodies, including detect magic ...
    Current Games

27. - Top - End - #177

Nothing but goblin armor and weaponry, which is cheap and will slow you down.

The group finishes its two-hour journey to a place where the tangles of Nettlewood are in the way. Shalelu looks around and then points to the north, for Thistletop is just off the coast. She manages to find a route through the woods, and with Kurgol's assistance, they pick up a goblin trail. The trail runs for only an hour, and there's no way to avoid a goblinberry patch. Everyone makes it through okay, except Radish suffers some. Because of his size and shape, he just couldn't avoid the areas Du tried to lead him around. (1 STR damage)

The briars and thistles that grow so rampantly in the Nettlewood grow even more dense and tangled here, close to the shore. Although not quite dense enough to block the sound of waves crashing on the unseen shores to the west, the undergrowth is certainly thick enough to block sight and access to the coast. Few trees grow this close to the edge of the sea, but the briars themselves often reach heights to rival them here, the patch is nearly twenty feet high.

Shalelu automatically notices that certain briars can be lifted aside to reveal four-foot-high tunnels leading into the briars. You could throw one open as an MA but risk getting thorned; otherwise, a FRA can open a door carefully and safely. When opened, a four-foot-high tunnel winds through the dense briars and nettles. The floor is hard-packed earth, with patches of wiry plants growing stubbornly here and there. Everyone in the party will have to stoop, except for Radish. Although the ceilings and walls of these tunnels consist of tangled, thorny vines, brushing against them won't hurt you; it's if someone gets pushed into a wall that someone might get pierced. There are two ways to go, east and west.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

We hear waves to the west, and Thistletop is on the shore, so west it is ...
    Current Games

29. - Top - End - #179

You move along, with Shalelu checking for booby traps. The due west leaads to nettles and nothing more, though waves can be heard on a shoreline. However, the waves also can be heard north as well. Half-backtrack and you head up a northern route which then splits E-W. 20' goes to a very thin passage while the W goes around the corner. Using the same reasoning, you head around the corner to find a bramble door. It's easy enough to hear a few goblins on the other side of the door. Celiss gets in position to raise the bramble door quickly, with Kurgol to rush in, followed by Radish, and Shalelu to shoot in until a good idea of the inside is made.

She quickly sets the bramble door to the side, utterly surprising the three goblins who seem to be lookouts through a lightly brambled "window" overlooking the sea.

S1T19: Shalelu instantly shoots an arrow at each of the goblins, each hitting its mark for 10, 8, and 14. The first two are badly wounded, and the last falls.

S1T14: Radish bounds in to bite one, crunching deeply into its neck, and it falls.

S1T8: Celiss steps forward and stabs the last, magic coursing down the blade, killing it. Combat over.

The goblin bodies are thrown through the bramble lookout point to the beach a few stories below.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

Du watches the bodies get tossed over. Her fears are abated in realizing that these companions are as powerful and capable as they are. The one fear niggling at her as the last goblin body goes over the side, is at what cost
    Current Games