Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 49
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2006

    Default A note to the author

    The use of the words "ORLY"; "OMGWTFBBQ"; and "PWNED" is not funny any more (it never was)

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    TinSoldier's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A note to the author

    I thought it was funny.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2006

    Default Re: A note to the author

    Quote Originally Posted by TinSoldier View Post
    I thought it was funny.
    Well you probably still laugh about chuck norris jokes right?

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    TinSoldier's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A note to the author

    Quote Originally Posted by zaboron View Post
    Well you probably still laugh about chuck norris jokes right?
    Occasionally I do...

    Probably because there are a whole lot of memes, that while they have been around for awhile, I probably missed when they first came out and so they aren't old to me.

    Plus I don't hang out places on the internet where those kinds of things are overdone.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Closed Account
     
    Khantalas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Insignificance Gender: No

    Default Re: A note to the author

    Quote Originally Posted by zaboron View Post
    Well you probably still laugh about chuck norris jokes right?
    Well, I do. I also found the joke funny.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Captain van der Decken's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Tortuga
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A note to the author

    I thought it was pretty good.
    Partially because of TinSoldier's reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinSoldier View Post
    Plus I don't hang out places on the internet where those kinds of things are overdone.
    I WILL round this Cape, even if I have to keep sailing until doomsday!
    Engaged in A Spat with Jibar.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Decken by Ceika
    Spoiler
    Show
    Devil Lord-to-be and proud member of the Baatezu Lovers club!

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL

    Default Re: A note to the author

    Koresh --
    Satire, people, satire.
    Erfworld is a satirical comic. That's why there are dwagons instead of dragons. The use of ORLY, WTF, etc. is self-referential and ironic. The biggest difference between OOTS and Erf so far is that OOTS uses satire and Erfworld IS satire. Since satire annoys humorless folk, I can see why there are some fairly strong negative reactions to this comic.
    To those folks I say:
    WTF m4n? Kant chew teak a Jok-e-mon? Zippo up.
    Haar
    Though Vaarsuvius crushed me in the past, I will rise from the ashes to haunt your Latin Textbooks.

    No more Miko!

    Proud Founder of the "I was never fooled by Miko and her capacity for evil and all you people who were scare the pants off of me" Club

    "I was going to use the gates to harness the Snarl for myself, but I've just finished researching the epic spell I like to call 'Disintegrate Earth,' and I figured that'd expedite things." -- Mewtarthio

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Closed Account
     
    Khantalas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Insignificance Gender: No

    Default Re: A note to the author

    I'm still waiting for a "two cows" joke.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Om's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ireland Endless
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A note to the author

    Quote Originally Posted by zaboron View Post
    The use of the words "ORLY"; "OMGWTFBBQ"; and "PWNED" is not funny any more (it never was)
    And is this an established fact or merely the opinion of your good self?
    The Omnians were a God-fearing people. They had a great deal to fear.
    -Terry Pratchett

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL

    Default Re: A note to the author

    It should be about how "tucows" are very rude and ruled over by the much more politik "vucows."
    Haar
    Though Vaarsuvius crushed me in the past, I will rise from the ashes to haunt your Latin Textbooks.

    No more Miko!

    Proud Founder of the "I was never fooled by Miko and her capacity for evil and all you people who were scare the pants off of me" Club

    "I was going to use the gates to harness the Snarl for myself, but I've just finished researching the epic spell I like to call 'Disintegrate Earth,' and I figured that'd expedite things." -- Mewtarthio

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned
     
    Brickwall's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: A note to the author

    "thog liked it"

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location

    Default Re: A note to the author

    Quote Originally Posted by zaboron View Post
    Well you probably still laugh about chuck norris jokes right?
    I LOVE chuck norris jokes. For their satirical irony. And 'cause they're ridiculous. What's not to love?

    And I love Erfworld. For its satirical irony. And its ridiculousness.

    Hmm. Coincidence . . . ?

    "I feel" . . . that Erfworld rocks

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    SolithKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Silverdale WA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A note to the author

    I think that it is becoming very obvious that there are numerous people who do not enjoy Erfworld and specifically do not like the use of "cutesy" talk and 1337 speak. Okay. I encourage you to speak your mind, voice your opinion. I just hope that you are not trying to be the one and true voice. I suspect that there might be a couple of fans on this board that would disagree with you, if that was your intent.
    A silent knight is better than a holey knight.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2006

    Default Re: A note to the author

    Quote Originally Posted by zaboron View Post
    The use of the words "ORLY"; "OMGWTFBBQ"; and "PWNED" is not funny any more (it never was)
    The way it's used in Erfworld doesn't make me laugh out loud in a "Ha ha! They're owls! And they're called Orlies! And the use forum speak like O RLY. Because they're Orlies. Oh my aching sides, that is so funny!" sort of way, it's more one of a lot of silly / surreal background jokes that keep me smiling all the way through the comic.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground
     
    danielf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ellear Ias stolen my bandages
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A note to the author

    i think it is very funny

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground
     
    pclips's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Northern Virginia

    Default Re: A note to the author

    Quote Originally Posted by robinmotion View Post
    I LOVE chuck norris jokes. For their satirical irony. And 'cause they're ridiculous. What's not to love?

    And I love Erfworld. For its satirical irony. And its ridiculousness.

    Hmm. Coincidence . . . ?
    I am trying so hard not to respond and all, but this thread's addressed right to me, and there's this great segue about the Chuck Norris jokes to illustrate my point.

    Yes, chatspeak is pretty much played out. The original reasons why it was (or wasn't) funny are long gone and ollllllld. Don't need the news flash, thanks.

    What you (zaboron) might not get is the concept of recontextualizing an old joke. You can present a tired joke in a new way and squeeze new humor out of it. Here's a PartiallyClips where I did exactly that with Chuck Norris jokes:

    Discussing Chuck Norris

    It's not the repeating of the joke, see? It's the metahumor of it, the new context. I mean, light bulb jokes have been old for 30 years or more, but they're still making funny ones, often as metahumor (jokes about jokes).

    Q: How many members of a certain demographic group does it take to perform a specified task?
    A: A finite number: one to perform the task and an additional number to act in a manner stereotypical of the group in question.

    Get it? There are levels to jokes. OMGWTFBBQ was possibly once funny because of the non-sequitur addition of "BBQ" at the end. Not funny any more, by itself.

    But create a monster which is the living embodiment of chatspeak/13375P34K, and have it yell that as it's roasted alive? Funny, in the new context.

    I mean if you don't get it, I'm sorry. You're not alone. But don't assume it's superficial. There's usually more to even my stupidest jokes than meets the eye.

    I'll leave you with one more example, a bonus comic I did a couple of months ago, mocking the "I'm In Ur" meme with the freakin' cats:

    I'm In Ur
    Rob Balder, Erfworld author/co-creator, and creator of PartiallyClips

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    TinSoldier's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A note to the author

    Quote Originally Posted by pclips View Post
    Q: How many members of a certain demographic group does it take to perform a specified task?
    A: A finite number: one to perform the task and an additional number to act in a manner stereotypical of the group in question.
    That is sooo sigged!

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Estelindis's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: A note to the author

    Quote Originally Posted by pclips View Post
    OMGWTFBBQ was possibly once funny because of the non-sequitur addition of "BBQ" at the end.
    This is precisely the reason I found it to be hilarious: because the BBQ was so unexpected. It was so wrong, yet so right. Although Erfworld has made me smile many times since it started, this was the first line that made me laugh. :)
    "Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point."
    ~~~ C. S. Lewis
    First Mate on board Hinjo's Junk
    Theological Advisor of the Hinjo Fan Club
    Shark Smiter of the O-Chul Fan Club
    GitP Folding Team

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    WolfInSheepsClothing

    Join Date
    Dec 2006

    Default Re: A note to the author

    no...never funny

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    May 2005

    Default Re: A note to the author

    I'll admit, I don't think the overall humor of Erfworld has been up my alley. (I noted this in the Giant's opinion poll thread, along with reasons why, and then have been relatively quiet about it, because, well, it's my opinion and I suspect no one else cares about it all that much. :) However, I've been reading the comic when I think about it anyway, and, in the sake of all fairness, the "OMGWTFBBQ" in response to being roasted actually did make me crack a smile. Folks, if you don't like the comic, fine, don't read it--not everything can be all things to all people!--but for heaven's sake, don't go out of your way just to find things to carp about. One man's trash is another man's treasure, after all.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Dec 2006

    Default Re: A note to the author

    Rob- I loved I'm in ur ideosphere, but no one else that i have shown it too got it. It's metahumor. It's Kaufman.
    Spoiler
    Show




    Yee.
    Hah.

    I'm in ur ideosphere, propigatin' ur memes!
    I do not understand me.
    English translation of Japanese translation via Babelfish of #408

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Rinion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A note to the author

    The use of the words "ORLY"; "OMGWTFBBQ"; and "PWNED" is not funny any more (it never was)
    You do realise you contradicted yourself, right?
    But hey, I've got to hand it to you - you must be really insightful to be able to voice the world's opinion on something without having to ask them. What a gift that must be.

    The use of abbreviations in the comic relies on circumstantial humour - just as the word "meat" is not funny in itself, yet it could be a source of humour, depending on what preceded it. Orlies are original and creative, and kudos go to the authors for coming up with them. Just because you don't enjoy satire doesn't mean that nobody does, right?

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Dancin' away
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A note to the author

    Dude, get off your high-horse. WTF do you read the comic if you do not like it? Why do you post such idiotic critique threads on the forum instead of not reading it?
    You can shout it from the roof-tops, you'll be preaching to the choir.
    And you better get started on this funeral pyre, and one day I will truly set myself on fire so you can see how dim my light is.
    So you can see how dim is my life

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2006

    Default Re: A note to the author

    Quote Originally Posted by pclips View Post
    I mean if you don't get it, I'm sorry. You're not alone. But don't assume it's superficial. There's usually more to even my stupidest jokes than meets the eye.
    See the problem here is that you and some of the fans assume automatically that people who dislike the humor in your comic and think the humor is trivial aren't bright enough to "get it," as you repeatedly point out in this post. If people who didn't like the comic repeatedly implied the same thing about you or fans of the comic, they'd be banned. I know it's hard to take criticism of something you made that you think is just fantastic, but be realistic--just because people don't care for the humor doesn't mean they're incapable of understanding what the jokes are.

    I--and quite probably most of the rest of us who dislike the comic--understand what you mean about squeezing more humor out of a dead joke. It's just that we think you're wrong. You aren't actually squeezing any new humor out of it. It's possible to, but you've failed at it, in my opinion (and clearly I'm not alone).

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Badmofo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Ft Leonard Wood

    Default Re: A note to the author

    It has man eatting peeps. MAN EATTING PEEPS! That's funny!
    Chain-saw swords to the face + Holy Smite= Problem solved.

    Every time a new "what Gender is V" topic is made, Chuck Norris Kills a terrorist, not because a new "What Gender is V" topic was made, but because thatís how often he kill's terrorist's.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    charles's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A note to the author

    Rob,

    I think you need to take Richard's stand on forums like this and just not reply to stuff like this about your own work. It only encourages them and never leads to anything good. I'm pretty sure he had heaps of complaints about OoTS character Haley's gibberish but never replied to it.

    Keep to positive replies to positive posts. It'll grind at you not to say anything but it works out for the best.

    (On a side note, I love how they complain about the comic like mad and yet they're reading it each day to know what happens next and what they can complain about. Any complaints they post are poisoned by that fact alone.)

    And in case no-one noticed, I think the 1337 chat pretty much ended in this comic thanks to a weally big wed dwagon. Dey taut dey saw a puddy tat, bud it wus a beeeg dwagon! (although it'll probably show up again, once in a while).
    Last edited by charles; 2006-12-30 at 11:00 AM.
    Always spread Vegimite behind your ears to prevent attack by drop bears.
    SHADOWGIRLS FLIPSIDE

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Newfoundland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A note to the author

    Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    See the problem here is that you and some of the fans assume automatically that people who dislike the humor in your comic and think the humor is trivial aren't bright enough to "get it," as you repeatedly point out in this post. If people who didn't like the comic repeatedly implied the same thing about you or fans of the comic, they'd be banned. I know it's hard to take criticism of something you made that you think is just fantastic, but be realistic--just because people don't care for the humor doesn't mean they're incapable of understanding what the jokes are.

    I--and quite probably most of the rest of us who dislike the comic--understand what you mean about squeezing more humor out of a dead joke. It's just that we think you're wrong. You aren't actually squeezing any new humor out of it. It's possible to, but you've failed at it, in my opinion (and clearly I'm not alone).
    I agree. I "get it," but still don't find it funny, the same way I don't find it funny when someone types "OH NOES!!!!111!!one!"
    I'd also add that if you have to explain your joke, that kind of sucks the humour out of it right there.
    Settings: Weird West
    Work in Progress: Fulcrum

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Rinion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A note to the author

    But, then again, the 7331 speak was not meant to be a punchline in itself - it was just a humourous (to some, at least) addition. Some people find it funny, some don't, but the fact remains that the 7331 speak does not affect the comic as a whole in any way. It's just a side attraction to some people, and means nothing to others.

    I have no idea why someone decided it was important enough to devote an entire thread to it.
    Last edited by Rinion; 2006-12-30 at 01:45 PM.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Renegade Paladin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A note to the author

    Quote Originally Posted by zaboron View Post
    The use of the words "ORLY"; "OMGWTFBBQ"; and "PWNED" is not funny any more (it never was)


    (Sorry, couldn't resist. )
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein


  30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Maryland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: A note to the author

    Quote Originally Posted by zaboron View Post
    The use of the words "ORLY"; "OMGWTFBBQ"; and "PWNED" is not funny any more (it never was)
    A note to Zaboron.

    Jamie Noguchi, artist and co-creator of Erfworld and evil monkey responsible for Angry Zen Master.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •