1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: A note to the author

Renegade Paladin: Bwahahahahaha!

and

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

(I think we drowneded Zabron in counter-criticism...)
    --

Meta Knight avatar courtesy of Connor DarkDart.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Pixie in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

I thought it was hilarious myself. Especially since it took me a second to make the ORLY noise in my head... then I busted out laughing. It's been a while so it caught me by surprise. I love stuff like that.

I'll leave you with one more example, a bonus comic I did a couple of months ago, mocking the "I'm In Ur" meme with the freakin' cats:
    Of course, I still laugh every time I think about the cats too so take from that what you will :P

4. - Top - End - #34
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

You know what I don't get? People who go to a place where people who like something congregate, then publically proclaim they don't like that thing that many others there like. I'll bet the OP goes to concerts and just stands around on the fringe saying "nope... don't like this type of music at all, nosireebob. This "music" they're playing? Blah - it's just noise."

Dude. Buddy. Skipper. Ace. We don't care that you don't like it. We (and I'm comfortable speaking on behalf of all the Erfworld Idiots - thanks for the permission guys!) just don't care that you're not a fan. We don't. It's okay. You don't need to enjoy it. That just leaves more enjoyment for the rest of us. Mmm mmm! That's some savory enjoyment right there.

[Scrubbed]

Erfworld creators: I've told you this privately, and I echo it publically - you are doing an awesome job, your strip rocks, and people are laughing.

Yarly.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2007-01-01 at 08:39 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Halfling in the Playground

*Agrees with Dao Jones*
    I apologise now for everything that is wrong with this post.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dao Jones View Post
    You know what I don't get? People who go to a place where people who like something congregate, then publically proclaim they don't like that thing that many others there like. I'll bet the OP goes to concerts and just stands around on the fringe saying "nope... don't like this type of music at all, nosireebob. This "music" they're playing? Blah - it's just noise."

Dude. Buddy. Skipper. Ace. We don't care that you don't like it. We (and I'm comfortable speaking on behalf of all the Erfworld Idiots - thanks for the permission guys!) just don't care that you're not a fan. We don't. It's okay. You don't need to enjoy it. That just leaves more enjoyment for the rest of us. Mmm mmm! That's some savory enjoyment right there.

So please. The next time one of you super awesome people feels the burning need to tell us something we neither want nor need to know, just go ahead and keep that big super cool batch of thought right up in your lil ole' noggin, mmkay? Because sometimes it's good to have an inner monologue, and not spew out every little idea that bounces around inside your head. Thanks a bunch!
    I'm pretty sure the forum is open for opinions, whether criticism or flattery, and telling someone to shut up is a warning offense.
    Settings: Weird West
    Work in Progress: Fulcrum

7. - Top - End - #37
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Khantalas View Post
    Well, I do. I also found the joke funny.
    Likewise. It was really the situation. If it was some guy just standing around in the hippiemancer compound saying that for no reason I would not have laughed. The situation made it hilarious, I laughed quite loud.

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by pclips View Post
    What you (zaboron) might not get is the concept of recontextualizing an old joke. You can present a tired joke in a new way and squeeze new humor out of it.
    [...]
    But create a monster which is the living embodiment of chatspeak/13375P34K, and have it yell that as it's roasted alive? Funny, in the new context.
    Extremely funny. You sir, win. <3
    Last edited by Adrius; 2007-01-01 at 12:35 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by prufock View Post
    I'm pretty sure the forum is open for opinions, whether criticism or flattery, and telling someone to shut up is a warning offense.
    I addressed unconstructive criticism with an unconstructive suggestion. And, you'll note, my opinion that the OP's opinion is essentially unneeded is equally as valid as the OP's.

Look - everyone is entitled to an opinion, sure. But please explain to me what in God's name is the point in going to a forum primarily populated by Erfworld fans and making a comment as essentially useless as "hey Erfworld author! X idea you had was lame! KTHXBAI!" How does it broaden the discussion? How does it enrich the mind? What purpose did it serve other than to promote inflammatory responses?

[Scrubbed]
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2007-01-01 at 08:39 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TinSoldier View Post
    Renegade Paladin: Bwahahahahaha!

and

[IMG]http://static.flickr.com/33/51968898_2fd1e661d8_m.jpg[IMG]
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

10. - Top - End - #40
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I didn't find the birds shouting "ORLY!" as they were attacking the skeletons that funny, but when they're being burned and shouting "PWND!" and "OMGWTFBBQ!", I found it hilarious.
    My Deviantart: www.skydivingninja.deviantart.com

Mid-air kidney harvester of the fan club.

11. - Top - End - #41

Come on, you must have had a heart of stone not to laugh at the owls.

Personally, I found it hilarious. It's silly humour. That's the whole point. You don't need a long, twisted reason for it- the owls go O RLY? OMGWTFBBQ! That's strange! Why are they doing that? Hey, that's pretty funny.

That's how my mind went, however. Call me a dunce, but keep it up with the humour- don't give in just because some ne'er do well says "Well, man, I think your humour sucks." (along those lines.) Do what you think is right, and don't get put down.

I may not have the badge, but I am DEFINETLY an Erfworld Idiot. At heart, anyway.
    Thanks to Tape Measure for my avatar!

Steam Name- [GitP] Dragor. Captain of the random disconnect, Lieutenant of the 'Uncloaking in front of somebody' Brigade.
    League of Legends- Supernaturalist

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

I thought the BBQ was rather tounge in cheek. WHy would a O RLY owl NOT say wtfbbg when it's turned into a gourme dinner for dwagons?

As a sidenote, isn't it funny how threads like these backfires?
    Totally getting something nice here, when the time is right that is.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pclips View Post
    Lots of words
    You seem to know a lot about the theory of funny. Still, some might prefer original humour to recycled comedy.

As the "In ur base" and "chuck norris" example proves, you are just jumping on the internet trend bandwagon, which is the sign of a weak comedian. A true artist doesnt need "recontextualizing old jokes", he creates his own.

True, some people might think OMGWTFBBQ "dwagons" and "orlies" are funny. Doesn't need to mean a lot, considering everything that is considered "humour" nowadays.

P.S.: Just trying to show off as an elitist prick here

14. - Top - End - #44
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zaboron View Post
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dao Jones View Post
    I addressed unconstructive criticism with an unconstructive suggestion. And, you'll note, my opinion that the OP's opinion is essentially unneeded is equally as valid as the OP's.
    You made a forum offense, and as far as I can tell, he didn't. He criticized the humour of a comic, you criticized the poster. I'm not a mod, my comment was just a heads up that, "Hey, don't be surprised if you get a warning."

Quote Originally Posted by Dao Jones
    Look - everyone is entitled to an opinion, sure. But please explain to me what in God's name is the point in going to a forum primarily populated by Erfworld fans and making a comment as essentially useless as "hey Erfworld author! X idea you had was lame! KTHXBAI!" How does it broaden the discussion? How does it enrich the mind? What purpose did it serve other than to promote inflammatory responses?
    It's a valid criticism, even if it isn't constructive. Zabron may even be a fan of the comic as a whole, and just took issue with one aspect. What's the point? Well, if the authors want to make a good comic, they need to know what doesn't work as well as what does. Not everyone's going to agree, but it seems your comment was addressed more to the fact that Zabron expressed a minority opinion than the idea that it wasn't valid.

Quote Originally Posted by Dao Jones
    Let's be honest. The OP is nothing more than a forum twoll.
    That could be true. I don't spend much time on the Erfworld part of the forum, so I don't know Zabron's posting history. I don't want to get into a whole thing over this, as I said, it was just a heads up and a suggestion to maybe browse over the rules again.

Be cool,
    Prufock
    Settings: Weird West
    Work in Progress: Fulcrum

16. - Top - End - #46

Oklahoma, where the air elementals carry brooms

Time to add my two cents. I'm Toric, and I'm and Erfworld Idiot. (Hi, Toric!) I don't mind people saying they don't find Erfworld funny. That's fine, you've all got the right to not laugh. What irks me is saying that the humor presented in the comic is not - and never was - funny. Some of the posters on page 1 pointed this out: what's ticking everybody off isn't that the guy is saying Erfworld isn't making him laugh, but that he's implying that the phrase "ORLY" never elicited so much as a chuckle throughout any time and that the author is a no-talent hack for having attempted to make a joke using it. The OP jumped from the assertion that he didn't find it funny to the assertion that nobody aside from the author thought it was funny.

In short, if you want to give your opinion, go right ahead more power to ya, just don't state it like it's a universal fact.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

silence, toe-slobbering noisebags! the humor Hitler has spoken! anyone found laughing at the aforementioned jokes will be made into a pie!

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

I would just like to point out that my Fruit Pie form will be both angry and vengeful, and will retain all of my spellcasting powers.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Voice of Mod: Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and call this one over.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~