New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default A note to the author

The use of the words "ORLY"; "OMGWTFBBQ"; and "PWNED" is not funny any more (it never was)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: A note to the author

I thought it was funny.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TinSoldier View Post
    I thought it was funny.
    Well you probably still laugh about chuck norris jokes right?

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by zaboron View Post
    Occasionally I do...

Probably because there are a whole lot of memes, that while they have been around for awhile, I probably missed when they first came out and so they aren't old to me.

Plus I don't hang out places on the internet where those kinds of things are overdone.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Closed Account

Well, I do. I also found the joke funny.

6. - Top - End - #6

I thought it was pretty good.
    Partially because of TinSoldier's reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinSoldier View Post
    Plus I don't hang out places on the internet where those kinds of things are overdone.
    I WILL round this Cape, even if I have to keep sailing until doomsday!
    Engaged in A Spat with Jibar.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Decken by Ceika
    Spoiler
    Show
    Devil Lord-to-be and proud member of the Baatezu Lovers club!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Koresh --
    Satire, people, satire.
    Erfworld is a satirical comic. That's why there are dwagons instead of dragons. The use of ORLY, WTF, etc. is self-referential and ironic. The biggest difference between OOTS and Erf so far is that OOTS uses satire and Erfworld IS satire. Since satire annoys humorless folk, I can see why there are some fairly strong negative reactions to this comic.
    To those folks I say:
    WTF m4n? Kant chew teak a Jok-e-mon? Zippo up.
    Haar
    Though Vaarsuvius crushed me in the past, I will rise from the ashes to haunt your Latin Textbooks.

No more Miko!

Proud Founder of the "I was never fooled by Miko and her capacity for evil and all you people who were scare the pants off of me" Club

"I was going to use the gates to harness the Snarl for myself, but I've just finished researching the epic spell I like to call 'Disintegrate Earth,' and I figured that'd expedite things." -- Mewtarthio

8. - Top - End - #8
    Closed Account

I'm still waiting for a "two cows" joke.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

The use of the words "ORLY"; "OMGWTFBBQ"; and "PWNED" is not funny any more (it never was)
    And is this an established fact or merely the opinion of your good self?
    The Omnians were a God-fearing people. They had a great deal to fear.
    -Terry Pratchett

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

It should be about how "tucows" are very rude and ruled over by the much more politik "vucows."
    Haar
    Though Vaarsuvius crushed me in the past, I will rise from the ashes to haunt your Latin Textbooks.

No more Miko!

Proud Founder of the "I was never fooled by Miko and her capacity for evil and all you people who were scare the pants off of me" Club

"I was going to use the gates to harness the Snarl for myself, but I've just finished researching the epic spell I like to call 'Disintegrate Earth,' and I figured that'd expedite things." -- Mewtarthio

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

"thog liked it"

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

I LOVE chuck norris jokes. For their satirical irony. And 'cause they're ridiculous. What's not to love?

And I love Erfworld. For its satirical irony. And its ridiculousness.

Hmm. Coincidence . . . ?

"I feel" . . . that Erfworld rocks

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I think that it is becoming very obvious that there are numerous people who do not enjoy Erfworld and specifically do not like the use of "cutesy" talk and 1337 speak. Okay. I encourage you to speak your mind, voice your opinion. I just hope that you are not trying to be the one and true voice. I suspect that there might be a couple of fans on this board that would disagree with you, if that was your intent.
    A silent knight is better than a holey knight.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

The way it's used in Erfworld doesn't make me laugh out loud in a "Ha ha! They're owls! And they're called Orlies! And the use forum speak like O RLY. Because they're Orlies. Oh my aching sides, that is so funny!" sort of way, it's more one of a lot of silly / surreal background jokes that keep me smiling all the way through the comic.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

i think it is very funny

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by robinmotion View Post
    I LOVE chuck norris jokes. For their satirical irony. And 'cause they're ridiculous. What's not to love?

And I love Erfworld. For its satirical irony. And its ridiculousness.

Hmm. Coincidence . . . ?
    I am trying so hard not to respond and all, but this thread's addressed right to me, and there's this great segue about the Chuck Norris jokes to illustrate my point.

Yes, chatspeak is pretty much played out. The original reasons why it was (or wasn't) funny are long gone and ollllllld. Don't need the news flash, thanks.

What you (zaboron) might not get is the concept of recontextualizing an old joke. You can present a tired joke in a new way and squeeze new humor out of it. Here's a PartiallyClips where I did exactly that with Chuck Norris jokes:

Discussing Chuck Norris

It's not the repeating of the joke, see? It's the metahumor of it, the new context. I mean, light bulb jokes have been old for 30 years or more, but they're still making funny ones, often as metahumor (jokes about jokes).

Q: How many members of a certain demographic group does it take to perform a specified task?
    A: A finite number: one to perform the task and an additional number to act in a manner stereotypical of the group in question.

Get it? There are levels to jokes. OMGWTFBBQ was possibly once funny because of the non-sequitur addition of "BBQ" at the end. Not funny any more, by itself.

But create a monster which is the living embodiment of chatspeak/13375P34K, and have it yell that as it's roasted alive? Funny, in the new context.

I mean if you don't get it, I'm sorry. You're not alone. But don't assume it's superficial. There's usually more to even my stupidest jokes than meets the eye.

I'll leave you with one more example, a bonus comic I did a couple of months ago, mocking the "I'm In Ur" meme with the freakin' cats:

I'm In Ur
    Rob Balder, Erfworld author/co-creator, and creator of PartiallyClips

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by pclips View Post
    Q: How many members of a certain demographic group does it take to perform a specified task?
    A: A finite number: one to perform the task and an additional number to act in a manner stereotypical of the group in question.
    That is sooo sigged!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground

OMGWTFBBQ was possibly once funny because of the non-sequitur addition of "BBQ" at the end.
    This is precisely the reason I found it to be hilarious: because the BBQ was so unexpected. It was so wrong, yet so right. Although Erfworld has made me smile many times since it started, this was the first line that made me laugh. :)
    "Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point."
    ~~~ C. S. Lewis
    First Mate on board Hinjo's Junk
    Theological Advisor of the Hinjo Fan Club
    Shark Smiter of the O-Chul Fan Club
    GitP Folding Team

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

no...never funny

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

I'll admit, I don't think the overall humor of Erfworld has been up my alley. (I noted this in the Giant's opinion poll thread, along with reasons why, and then have been relatively quiet about it, because, well, it's my opinion and I suspect no one else cares about it all that much. :) However, I've been reading the comic when I think about it anyway, and, in the sake of all fairness, the "OMGWTFBBQ" in response to being roasted actually did make me crack a smile. Folks, if you don't like the comic, fine, don't read it--not everything can be all things to all people!--but for heaven's sake, don't go out of your way just to find things to carp about. One man's trash is another man's treasure, after all.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Rob- I loved I'm in ur ideosphere, but no one else that i have shown it too got it. It's metahumor. It's Kaufman.
    Spoiler
    Show

Yee.
    Hah.

I'm in ur ideosphere, propigatin' ur memes!
    I do not understand me.
    English translation of Japanese translation via Babelfish of #408

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

You do realise you contradicted yourself, right?
    But hey, I've got to hand it to you - you must be really insightful to be able to voice the world's opinion on something without having to ask them. What a gift that must be.

The use of abbreviations in the comic relies on circumstantial humour - just as the word "meat" is not funny in itself, yet it could be a source of humour, depending on what preceded it. Orlies are original and creative, and kudos go to the authors for coming up with them. Just because you don't enjoy satire doesn't mean that nobody does, right?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Dude, get off your high-horse. WTF do you read the comic if you do not like it? Why do you post such idiotic critique threads on the forum instead of not reading it?
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I mean if you don't get it, I'm sorry. You're not alone. But don't assume it's superficial. There's usually more to even my stupidest jokes than meets the eye.
    See the problem here is that you and some of the fans assume automatically that people who dislike the humor in your comic and think the humor is trivial aren't bright enough to "get it," as you repeatedly point out in this post. If people who didn't like the comic repeatedly implied the same thing about you or fans of the comic, they'd be banned. I know it's hard to take criticism of something you made that you think is just fantastic, but be realistic--just because people don't care for the humor doesn't mean they're incapable of understanding what the jokes are.

I--and quite probably most of the rest of us who dislike the comic--understand what you mean about squeezing more humor out of a dead joke. It's just that we think you're wrong. You aren't actually squeezing any new humor out of it. It's possible to, but you've failed at it, in my opinion (and clearly I'm not alone).

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

It has man eatting peeps. MAN EATTING PEEPS! That's funny!
    Chain-saw swords to the face + Holy Smite= Problem solved.

Every time a new "what Gender is V" topic is made, Chuck Norris Kills a terrorist, not because a new "What Gender is V" topic was made, but because that’s how often he kill's terrorist's.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Rob,

I think you need to take Richard's stand on forums like this and just not reply to stuff like this about your own work. It only encourages them and never leads to anything good. I'm pretty sure he had heaps of complaints about OoTS character Haley's gibberish but never replied to it.

Keep to positive replies to positive posts. It'll grind at you not to say anything but it works out for the best.

(On a side note, I love how they complain about the comic like mad and yet they're reading it each day to know what happens next and what they can complain about. Any complaints they post are poisoned by that fact alone.)

And in case no-one noticed, I think the 1337 chat pretty much ended in this comic thanks to a weally big wed dwagon. Dey taut dey saw a puddy tat, bud it wus a beeeg dwagon! (although it'll probably show up again, once in a while).
    Last edited by charles; 2006-12-30 at 11:00 AM.
    Always spread Vegimite behind your ears to prevent attack by drop bears.
    SHADOWGIRLS FLIPSIDE

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    See the problem here is that you and some of the fans assume automatically that people who dislike the humor in your comic and think the humor is trivial aren't bright enough to "get it," as you repeatedly point out in this post. If people who didn't like the comic repeatedly implied the same thing about you or fans of the comic, they'd be banned. I know it's hard to take criticism of something you made that you think is just fantastic, but be realistic--just because people don't care for the humor doesn't mean they're incapable of understanding what the jokes are.

I--and quite probably most of the rest of us who dislike the comic--understand what you mean about squeezing more humor out of a dead joke. It's just that we think you're wrong. You aren't actually squeezing any new humor out of it. It's possible to, but you've failed at it, in my opinion (and clearly I'm not alone).
    I agree. I "get it," but still don't find it funny, the same way I don't find it funny when someone types "OH NOES!!!!111!!one!"
    I'd also add that if you have to explain your joke, that kind of sucks the humour out of it right there.
    Settings: Weird West
    Work in Progress: Fulcrum

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

But, then again, the 7331 speak was not meant to be a punchline in itself - it was just a humourous (to some, at least) addition. Some people find it funny, some don't, but the fact remains that the 7331 speak does not affect the comic as a whole in any way. It's just a side attraction to some people, and means nothing to others.

I have no idea why someone decided it was important enough to devote an entire thread to it.
    Last edited by Rinion; 2006-12-30 at 01:45 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Firbolg in the Playground

(Sorry, couldn't resist. )
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

A note to Zaboron.

Jamie Noguchi, artist and co-creator of Erfworld and evil monkey responsible for Angry Zen Master.