New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: A Tangled Web We Weave (IC)

"You are right, Abbot, I am young, at least by the standards of my kind." Zen says quietly, pausing as they reach the threshold of the nearest building. "But the world belongs to the young, and to the children of tomorrow. The old and the influential may shape the course of the future, but it is the young who will have to live in it."

He looks contemplative for a moment, as though deciding on a course of action, then nods. "The wall is stronger than any one stone. This place is a fortress, yes, and a mighty one at that, but without friends and allies, it will not be able to withstand concentrated assault. And even if it could, what good is a fortress that stands alone while the world beyond it's walls burns?" A small smile. "Bonds between neighbors are rare and precious things, and I think you can agree with me that you are more likely to build them by venturing beyond the walls than by remaining within."

There is no polite way to say 'Heaven has proven itself unreliable in times of need, so look for allies elsewhere.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

"When the world burns - sometimes running into the conflagration just means you die as well. Sometimes all you can do is save what you can." The Abbot's eyes are distant for a moment, focused on something far away and long ago. He shakes his head, and his gaze comes back to Saram Zen. "A sanctuary may not quench the flames, but it can preserve skills and knowledge and resources and lives, and serve as a rallying point, and I do not call that useless."

He stops, and breathes deliberately slowly for a moment. "Still. Abstract arguments aside... hmm." He gives Saram Zen a sideways look. "You are unusually direct, by the standards of your kind." A faint smile. "Try not to lose that, as you grow older."

"It's true that at present, we could afford to spare some people. Provided only a few went at a time, our ability to deal with emergencies here in the mountains would not be badly diminished. There is still the danger that they'd draw too much attention here, while they're inexperienced in the wider world - but you may be right that the potential benefits outweigh the risks, and once a few had gone traveling, they could advise others..."

Haven taps his fingers together. "How sensitive is your mission, Saram Zen? Would it be compromised by the addition of a traveling companion or two?" He raises an eyebrow at the young Air Aspect.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    I must not argue on the Internet.
    Internet argument is the mind-killer.
    It is the little death that brings total aggravation.
    I will face my annoyance.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    When it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path.
    Where the irritation has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

3. - Top - End - #123

Saram Zen looks around, then steps across to position himself carefully out of the line of sight of anyone who might be watching, if only by putting the Abbott between him and them. Then he makes a small gesture with one hand, and the identity of Saram Zen peels away, as flesh grows warmer and pale eyes return to their original scarlet hue.

"Hard to talk about such things while under a destiny, at least clearly." Lotus says by way of explanation, his voice low. "And my mission is not an especially sensitive one. I'd welcome traveling companions, though life would be much easier if they knew what I was, at least in vague terms - an agent of heaven in disguise works well enough. Too much potential for awkward discoveries and poorly-timed explanations otherwise. Do you have anyone specific in mind?"

A pause, and then he grins. "Would you believe my Sifu and I used to play games over who could be the most indirect and mysterious?"
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

"I don't have anyone specific in mind, but I suspect you might. You could have just asked if you wanted backup, you know." The monk's voice is faintly amused. "I doubt Hoof will come with you, since his wife has a baby on the way, but Harp or Branch might agree, if it's suggested. I recommended they speak with you because they're at a difficult stage in their training. The last few katas of the style are not fundamentally harder than learning the form, but they can be more... esoteric, I suppose, is the word." He shrugs. "If you're looking for someone with particular skills, we can go through the lists. But I would avoid much more junior initiates - mastery of the form requires a high degree of self-control and personal mastery of Essence, which I think is a good prerequisite for traveling far outside the community. And the older monks tend to have substantial responsibilities here."
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #125

Lotus raises an eyebrow. "If you're suggesting that I argued that entire point just so I could secure myself some backup... well, I'm somewhat flattered you think I'm capable of that degree of misdirection. Still, I'll ask and see if they'd be open to the idea."

A smooth hand gesture, and the persona of Saram Zen settles into place once more, like a cloak pulled on to hide and protect the fine clothes beneath. The Air Aspect cricks his neck, bows politely to the abbott, and then heads back across the square to the acolytes who'd been demonstrating their techniques to him.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

"If either of them say yes, they'll need a little time to prepare - ask them to stop by my office before you leave, and I'll explain a few basics to them."

He smiles slightly at Lotus' comment, and then pushes the door open, stepping over the threshold as Saram Zen walks back down toward the practice groups.

The three initiates are standing in a circle, moving through a slow precise kata while juggling throwing sticks between the three of them in an intricate interlacing pattern. Hoof and Harp are snatching handfuls of sticks out of the air at once before tossing them out again in different directions; Branch is doing the same, but only with three sticks at a time, not five. Occasionally one stick strikes another in mid-air and there is a scowl or groan from one of the participants, but it never interrupts the pattern as a whole.

It takes a few minutes for them to finish the exercise. Branch is the first to tuck away the throwing sticks, turn to Saram Zen, and raise an inquiring eyebrow.

Spoiler
    Show
    You're a Sidereal. Of course you're capable of persuading someone to change the entire structure of their monastery's educational process just so you can more easily acquire TMA-trained minions

(That said, Haven's not averse to the prospect of some of the monks he's training for leadership to get experience at working directly with a Sidereal. He knows he's not going to be around much longer.)
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #127

"So, I raised the point about 'learning through travel' with the Abbott." Saram Zen says with an easy smile, crossing his arms and studying the trio of acolytes. "He was actually pretty open to the idea. So... I'm headed for the Sunrise Gap, in Arjuf Province, where there's going to be a large trade show and horse racing competition. I'd like to extend an invitation for you lot to come along... if you think you can spare the time."

Spoiler
    Show
    Ah. I'll just think of it as getting in some practice for later events then, shall I?

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Hoof blinks, then smiles, but turns his hand down in a gesture of negation. "Not for me, but thanks for asking."

"Really?!" Harp's eyes light up, but then she bites her lip; she gives the young Dragon-Blood a rather doubtful look. "How long are we talking about, here?"

Branch folds his arms and watches Harp, his face difficult to read.
    Last edited by Ifni; 2013-10-21 at 12:26 AM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #129

"Well, the competition takes place on the first of Ascending Wood. I probably won't stick around for a week or so beyond that before heading back this way. So, not that long, all things considered." he nods to Hoof. "Though the Abbott did say that you would probably turn it down, on account of your wife and child. Congratulations, by the way."

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

"Thank you," Hoof replies, with a small nod and smile. "We're not due for a few months, but still, I think Cloud would kill me if I left at this point."

Harp turns away for a moment, looks out across the courtyard. "Branch, what do you think?"

Branch shrugs. "You've wanted this for a while. If the Abbot thinks it's all right..." His glance at Saram Zen is faintly quizzical.

"Only a few weeks..." She takes a deep breath. "All right. I'll come. Thank you. Is there anything in particular we'll need in the way of supplies?"

"I'll come as well, then," Branch says promptly, breaking into a grin. "Someone has to keep an eye on you."
    Last edited by Ifni; 2013-10-21 at 11:00 AM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #131

"The Abbott said I should send you to see him if you agreed, so he might have some things in mind. But generally speaking, I have enough basic traveling supplies to take care of most needs, and enough funds to purchase the things that I don't have. So just bring some changes of clothes and basic traveling gear, and you'll do fine."

He turns away. "I'm going to grab my things from the quarters, then head for the stables. Meeting me there is probably the easiest way to handle it."

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

The stables are small but well-kept. The horses are... more ponies, really, with thick shaggy coats that look almost more like wool than hair. The teenage boy who seems to be in charge of them looks at the young Dragon-Blood with not-inconsiderable curiosity and a hint of awe, and hands over mystifying quantities of riding tack with an enthusiastic stream of instructions.

Harp and Branch come in as the boy is describing the proper use of a hoof pick. Both are carrying rucksacks and saddlebags, and have swapped their gis from the sparring practice for quilted jackets and fur hats. With their dark hair cut in the same severe style, they look very much alike. If they have weapons, they are well hidden, except for the slender weighted chains coiled at their belts.

Branch swings an extra saddlebag off his shoulder and passes it to Zen. "This one's yours; it has food for the road, and waterskins." His gaze lingers on the Air Aspect for a little longer than that comment seemed to justify. Harp has stepped forward into the warmth of the stable and is inspecting the ponies; she seems to be trying not to look at Saram Zen.
    Last edited by Ifni; 2013-10-21 at 01:56 PM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #133

Zen focuses on the instructions the stable boy has been giving him, calling upon the old memory-enhancing techniques to properly retain what he is being taught. He might not be a very good rider yet, but it seems this is as fine a time to learn as any.

When his two companions enter, he takes the saddlebag wordlessly, and smiles at them... though there is a touch of resignation in his eyes that was not there before. "So, he told you, then. I was wondering if he would." he says softly. "You came anyway, so whatever it is you think of me it's clearly not that bad, but I must admit I'm curious."

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

"Huh?" Harp looks around, sounding puzzled. "No, I -"

"Let's talk on the road, shall we?" Branch cuts in, with a glance at the boy. "I know Lord Saram said he didn't want to delay too long."

"Uh. Right. Yes."

Branch saddles his own pony with quick competence, and after an assessing look at Harp's attempts, goes over to help his fellow monk. Five minutes later, saddlebags distributed amongst the mounts, the trio are making their way down the mountainside.

It becomes clear, in the full light of day, that the monastery is built on a great outcropping of stone, rearing up from the mountainside. The path up to it is narrow and winding, the slope below the path nearly sheer. More wards are carved into the path and the walls of stone, some small and subtle, some large enough to incorporate natural ledges and crannies in the cliff face. Twisting fluted spires of stone dot the barren slope, gnarled and hollowed like ancient petrified trees; the sigh of the wind through them gives rise to an eerie, constantly changing melody.

"So," Harp says quietly, when they're beyond the monastery walls. The ponies seem sure-footed, and there's only one path to follow; provided one can keep their balance on the high sheepskin-padded saddles, it's easy enough to converse, even if there's some shouting involved to be heard over the wind. "The Abbot didn't tell us much. Just that you're not actually Dragon-Blooded, that you work for Heaven, and not to be alarmed if you exhibit strange powers or turn into someone else with no warning. Oh, and to keep all that secret."

"Not that reassuring, really," Branch mutters. "Haven has a funny idea of comforting sometimes."

"It sounded a little like the stories about the Anathema of the Moon, from the history scrolls, honestly. The shapeshifters." Harp's dark eyes search Saram's face for a moment, before she shakes her head. "But the Abbot trusts you, so. I didn't mean to be rude, in the stable, I was just - well, you don't look like - and staring would have been rude." A faint flush colors her sun-weathered skin.

Spoiler
    Show
    Lotus can gain a dot of Ride.
    Last edited by Ifni; 2013-10-21 at 06:51 PM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #135

"Heh. Yes, I can see how you would think that." Lotus says to Harp... and it is Lotus, the ruddy skinned and scarlet eyed young man, not Saram Zen the Exalted wanderer and scholar, though anyone watching would find it nearly impossible to pin down when exactly the two had switched places. "I don't shape-shift, though. Think of it as a very good mask."

He looks away, watching the path ahead. "The full explanation is... complicated. The Abbott is essentially correct though - I do work for Heaven - the Maidens of Fate, specifically - and I'm not a Dragon-Blooded. Saram Zen never really existed."

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

"What would you prefer we call you? Will you be traveling as Saram Zen?" Branch asks quietly. He seems considerably more relaxed on his pony than Harp, the reins held loosely in one gloved hand. "As for complexity... well, it's up to you how much you want to share, of course. But I think we'll have some time to chat, on this trip. And Harp and I both know a bit about the gods." He tilts his head, regarding Lotus closely. "If it's not a personal question, are your eyes always that color?"

Harp sits stiff in her saddle, her hands gripping the reins tightly, although it's not clear how much is from nervousness at Lotus' face-shifting and how much from simple inexperience with riding. "So what are you looking for in Sunrise Gap?"
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #137

"My eyes have been this colour for as long as I can remember. It's one of the marks of my... office, I suppose you could say." Lotus says thoughtfully. "Those who work for Mars have scarlet eyes, while Jupiter's servants have Green, and so on."

He shifts slightly in the saddle, still unaccustomed to riding, as they make their way down the mountain path. "I'm on a mission for the Division of Battles now, actually, which is what brings me to Sunrise Gap. Mars holds dominion over contests of skill as much as outright warfare, so it's the race that I'm interested in."

He smiles. "Still, 'Saram Zen' isn't a bad name, so I think I'll use that most of the time."

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

"All right - Zen." The other man smiles faintly. "For the record, my full name is Snow-Laden Branch. But 'Branch' works fine."

"Melody of the Harp, here," Harp mutters. "I prefer Harp."

Branch considers for a moment. "Are you a... god, then, or some other form of spirit? Or with the blood of the gods? If you're posing as an Exalt you must be able to use Essence..."

Harp pauses for a moment, and then asks rather tentatively, "How do you want to explain our presence... Zen? The truth sounds a little odd - 'oh, this Exalt stopped by our home and we decided to travel with him'. The Abbot was pretty clear that we're not meant to show off our skills, or talk about the monastery to just anyone. Although I guess most people won't question an Exalt, but if we encounter real Dragon-Bloods..."
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #139

"What I am is another complicated question." 'Zen' says with a small smile. Actually, the basic answer is fairly simple - I am Exalted - but he really doesn't feel the need to go into all the assorted secondary qualifications that statement carries just now. "Fundamentally, I'm human, but I was chosen for my current role at birth, and brought to Heaven at a young age for training. Part of that training involved teaching me how to use essence and invoke certain powers bestowed by my patrons - I can actually use Fire Dragon Style, at least the first few katas of it."

He sighs. "Of course, nothing like that sort of power comes without a price. In my case, I'm bound to this job until I die, and in the mean time, just about all evidence of my existence fades from Creation. I don't know if my original, mortal parents are still alive, but even if they are, by this point I doubt they even remember having a son."

A shrug. "You'd be surprised how much leeway the Dragon-Blooded get in assembling their personal retinues. If anyone asks, just say that 'Lord Saram has bound us to secrecy', and direct them to me. I'll be able to handle it from there."

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

"That... sounds rather unpleasant, actually," Branch says, after a moment of silence. "I guess I can see why you'd want to make sure we had a chance to leave the monastery. But we at least got a choice in the matter, when we reached adulthood."

"Although it's a pretty easy choice, all in all, if you can cope with the training regimen," Harp adds wryly. "Who wouldn't want magic, knowledge, mystical martial arts and supernatural longevity? I'm honestly surprised we don't get more people making the trek up from the valleys."

"That's probably part of the reason we're not supposed to show off. Haven hates turning people away." Branch shrugs one shoulder. "But for people who aren't raised in the Wind Flutes, they have ties to the outside world; I can imagine those would be hard to cut."

Harp nods to Lotus, seeming to welcome the change of topic. "All right. So long as you don't mind looking secretive, that works. And we should call you Lord Saram, in public?"

Branch, leading the group, reins in. Here the path joins a wider pebbled track, the intersection marked by a small stone cairn. The hillside here is no longer so barren; small bright wildflowers dot the turf, and dark green bracken creeps across the ground in places.

"We should also figure out which route we're taking. The Abbot said he'd shown you a few possibilities. I know the local area - I sometimes get called out for medical emergencies - but not much beyond a half-day's ride."
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #141

"I was aiming to just take the main caravan route, albeit without a caravan to slow me down. I could go through the high mountain passes, but that seems unnecessarily risky for a couple of days of extra speed." Lotus says easily, taking a moment to appreciate the beauty of the mountainous terrain around them. It isn't the halls of Yu-Shan, but there is something charming about it anyway.

Of course, I'll likely feel different if I come through here while it's pouring with rain.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Branch nods. "All right. We may want to take one of the paths that intersect with the road past Greenspring then, to get out in front of the caravan. Sharing a road with one of those is not fun. Unless there was something you wanted to buy in the town?"

The scenery is really quite spectacular - not like Yu-Shan, with its jeweled streets and towering palaces, but lovely in a wholly different way. More like Luna's hunting preserve, with its cloud-capped mountains - although those mountains are heavily forested, and for as far as Lotus can see, the upper slopes here are covered only by golden-green grass, the bright spots of wildflowers, and great gray granite boulders and rock formations. The peaks are capped with white, glittering in the bright spring sunlight. Lower down, a fuzz of dull gray-green darkens the mountainside. Lower still, the light catches a silver snake of a stream coiling through the valley bottom, and the faint smudge of smoke in the air.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #143

"Nothing comes to mind." Lotus says after a moment's thought. "So yes, out in front of the caravan seems best. We should be able to make good time, I hope."

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Branch nods, and leads the way along one of the rough paths meandering over the mountains.

It is a few hours later, but still morning, when the group comes to the main road. They have seen no signs of human habitation except the smudges of smoke in the valleys - and the burnt-out ruins of old cottages and barns, dotting the slopes, overgrown with greenery. Sometimes it's hard to see even the shape of the buildings that were once there; only the unusual preponderance of regularly-shaped stones attest to the former presence of a once-thriving village.

Wildlife, too, is rare. A few marmots regard them from the crannies of the rocks, and one lizard, sunning itself on the stone. The shadows of birds circle overhead.

The road itself is wide enough for two wagons to drive abreast, although the verge is muddy and trampled. The center of the road is smooth and gray and nearly flawless, any gaps between the paving-stones so small as to be nearly invisible. At a guess, it predates the Shogunate.

Riding proves more challenging than navigation. The short-legged mountain ponies do not have an especially smooth gait, and seem to resent being asked to canter. (Trotting is an experience. Likely not an experience Lotus wishes to indulge in on a frequent basis.) Still, the group makes good time for the rest of the day; the weather remains clear and sunny, the sky a deep cerulean blue dotted with occasional tufts of cloud. Whoever packed the bags, in addition to non-perishable foods (which do not look especially appetizing), included containers holding rice cakes and vegetable-filled buns. This first day, at least, lunch is free and tasty.

As the sun begins to sink behind the mountains in the mid-late afternoon, casting the valley into shadow, Harp reins in her pony. She winces a little as she shifts in her saddle, and extracts a map from her saddlebags. "We should think about where we want to stop for the night. We could camp, but if we push on another five miles or so, it looks like there's a village, called Whitetree... I think. The labels are small." She looks inquiringly at Saram Zen.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #145

Listen here, you insufferable nag, I am a Prince of the Earth. It is your duty, your purpose in life, to serve me with skill and good grace, and in return I and those like me shall make sure you live a life of health and relative comfort. If you do not, I shall call up the ferocious power at my command and blast you into a fine red mist across this mountainside. Do you understand?

And then Harp pulls out her map, and Saram Zen stops silently cursing his stubborn pony long enough to pay attention.

"I'd favour camping. The absolute last thing we need is for one of our mounts to trip over a pothole in the dark and break a leg." he says, slowly flexing his aching joints and wincing slightly.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Harp winces, and rubs her lower back. "We could get off and lead the ponies. It won't be full dark for a while yet." She looks at the road with some disfavor. "If it's like Greenspring, Whitetree will have an inn. With beds. And a good hearthfire. And hot food."

"I can do either," Branch says easily. He looks almost indecently comfortable in the saddle; he's practically lounging, compared to the careful stiffness of the other two. "The temperature will start to drop pretty quickly once the valley gets dark, though. If we want to camp, I'd suggest going uphill a bit; the area right next to the road tends to be fouled by all the caravan beasts, although I guess it's early enough in the season that it's not too bad."

He smiles faintly. "I did bring a basic medical kit, so can treat your saddle sores, either way. Your muscles are going to be sore, though, not much I can do about that."

Spoiler
    Show
    Heh. I liked Lotus' internal monologue at his pony. Have one BP to spend or bank as you desire.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #147

"I... am entirely willing to press on for a few more miles in exchange for hot food and a bed." Zen admits after a moment or two's thought. "Any fool can be uncomfortable. All right, let's keep going for as far as we can without risking the horses, then we can try walking."

He pauses for a moment. "And Branch? Please try not to look so effortlessly comfortable, lest I give in to the temptation to kick you over the nearest mountain."

Spoiler
    Show
    Yay, BP! Spending it on a dot of Larceny, justified because of the disguise work Lotus has been doing with the Resplendent Destinies so far.

Also because Sidereal Larceny is, like many of their charm trees, hilarious. The capstone is basically committing advance fraud and/or identity theft against the universe.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

"Heh. I suppose I can moan and contort myself into strange twisted shapes if it makes you feel better, Lord Saram..."

The sun sinks behind the mountains, for a short time filling the valley with red-gold and violet light, gilding the snow-capped peaks. After that the group continues for a while in the steadily darkening twilight, before Branch says "We should probably dismount at this point."

When Saram Zen slides down from the saddle, his legs feel like jelly. Walking is an exercise in teeth-gritting. At first it is pleasant to reduce the strain on muscles much-abused by the long ride, but then they begin to stiffen up.

The air grows swiftly colder, as above the valley the stars come out, glittering frostily in the clear blue-black sky. The ponies' breath, and their riders', forms clouds of white steam in the air.

Branch calls a halt at one point, to rub the ponies' legs; he takes pity on Harp and Zen, and suggests a brief martial arts practice while he works on the animals. The familiar stretches do help, somewhat.

The five miles to Whitetree feel longer, but eventually the group walks - or hobbles - into the village, built on both sides of the road. It looks like a prosperous little town, at first glance; the houses look in good repair, and there are signs out for various businesses. The buildings have sharply sloped roofs, and are set close together, sprawling out from the road without much evidence for town planning. Groves of silver aspens surround the town, likely explaining its name.

There are not many people out on the streets; the exceptions are dressed in warm-looking coats and hats, mostly of dyed wool. Several of them glance curiously at the travelers - some look away hurriedly on seeing Saram Zen, while others stare for a moment longer before respectfully lowering their eyes.

The inn is close to the road; a wooden board out the front is carved with small symbols - a plate, a mug, a bed - likely aimed at the illiterate. It is a square stone building, with the characteristic sloped roof; the courtyard is planted with beds of flowers, and holds a stone water-trough. Lamplight shines from within.

"Give me the reins and I'll take the ponies to get a drink," Branch offers. "If you two want to go arrange rooms?"
    Last edited by Ifni; 2013-10-24 at 04:44 PM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #149

Grimacing slightly, Zen hands the reins over to his traveling companion, pausing to quickly flex his sore limbs one last time - it would not be particularly fitting to arrive in the inn and immediately fall over from joint-lock.

"Yeah, we'll take care of that. I swear, by the end of this trip I'll either match your resilience or turn into an arthritic grandmother..."

With that dire prophecy suitably delivered, he fishes the pouch of coins out from inside his robes and heads for the inn's main entrance.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hmm. Might have to put training that Linguistics charm on hold. I'd ask whether this counts as training resistance, but that would take a week or more, apparently...

I'm pretty sure we'll want to tweak that, as having Lotus be able to master an entire Martial art style in the same time-frame it takes him to increase an ability from 4 to 5 seems somewhat... well, bizarre. Maybe make out-of-caste abilities take a number of days of training instead?

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Branch touches Zen's shoulder for a moment. "It's just practice. I could barely walk the day after my first long ride. Even if right now it feels like your legs are going to be permanently deformed, your muscles will adapt pretty quickly, you'll be surprised. You just have to get through that first day or two."

Harp limps over, having removed several bags from the ponies. "All right. I'll follow your lead - Lord Saram." She smiles, a little ironically, and bows to the Dragon-Blood, wincing as she straightens up. "After you, Prince of the Earth." She falls into step just behind him and to the right, as they head toward the doors.

Inside, the common room of the inn is lit by several oil lamps. The floors and walls are whitewashed stone; the furnishings are mostly wooden, and look to have been made from many small irregular pieces, rather than long straight planks. Several of the tables bear scars and gashes. More surprisingly, perhaps, one of the stone walls has a long furrow in it. There are eight men and women seated at the tables, eating and drinking and talking; the room could probably hold two or three times that number.

Besides the door where Zen and Harp entered the room, there is a door behind the bar to their left. On the far side of the room a fire burns brightly in a wide stone hearth, and next to it a curving stairway leads upward.

Also behind the bar is a shelf of bottles, and a middle-aged woman dressed in practical plain gray wool.

As Zen and Harp step inside, conversation stops. After a moment, they are no longer the focus of all eyes, as people look away, but the chatter does not resume.

The innkeeper hurries out from behind the bar and curtseys, deeply but not very gracefully, to Zen. "Welcome to the Wayfarer, Prince of the Earth. How may our humble inn provide for you this evening?" Her voice is controlled, but her face is pale.
    Last edited by Ifni; 2013-10-24 at 05:16 PM.
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show