New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Default Force Missle Mage

Can you make Force Missile Mage viable without fell drain, fell frighten, and fell weaken. I've seen other builds and advice but almost every one includes the above feats. Can you make magic missile something you actually want to use above really low levels?
    "The icy cold fingers of reason have choked the life out of this thread and despite all logic it keeps squirming", nope, it's dead.

"Occasionally I'd just like someone to quote me in their signature"
    -Invader

Epic threads with awesome revelations.

Awesome Avatar by Kymme!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Force Missle Mage

No.

Without those metamagics it's just very low direct damage that allows SR and can be neutralized entirely with a low level spell.
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

The problem is, just about anything you can do to improve Magic Missle, such as Empower, Maximize, Twin Spell, etc. can just as easily be applied to other, more efficient spells. The various Fell effects work well because they apply a stacking effect on each individual missile, rather than just improving the overall damage of the spell.
    I spent an hour on the edge of dreams,
    I walked between the worlds,
    and when I woke I never knew
    to which side I had fallen

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

You can do some pretty funny things with force missile mage, twin spell, repeating spell, quicken spell and meta reducers. Of course it still is subject to spell resistance and even though the obvious solutions to it are fixed it is still not the best use of power. Also those spells tend to raise the spell level quickly even with the reducers.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

You can make a Magic-Missile-centric Mailman, but it's not really doing anything that other spells can't also do (although from a special effects/character coolness perspective, exploding a dude with 30 Magic Missiles from a single casting action is pretty satisfying.) The Fell metamagics take advantage of Magic Missile to apply those effects in ways other direct-damage spells aren't as good at.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

I houseruled this to full casting for my girlfriend's sorceress. The rest of her spells are all BC, buffs like Haste, and other stuff. She mostly just uses it for finishing off foes who are locked down in BC that are still too risky to approach for our party BSF (who's a Dwarven Duskblade with a glaive). Its not THAT much more powerful than straight sorcerer, which while being rather bland, is still a fully functional T2 work of art.

Is it bad? Not really. Especially if the DM allows it to be full casting. Is it great? No. Is it Incantatrix? No way. Does everyone want to play an Incantatrix? No.

Just don't get too much tunnel vision to the point where MM is all you cast and you'll be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Spamalot in the Playground

Bring in Isaac's Missile Storm from NWN; 40d6 force damage no save.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Bring in Isaac's Missile Storm from NWN; 40d6 force damage no save.
    God that friggin' spell ruined NWN PvP.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by A_S View Post
    God that friggin' spell ruined NWN PvP.
    Hey, it's not like NWN/D&D PvP was the soul of fairness and good design without it
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

10. - Top - End - #10

Hey, it's not like NWN/D&D PvP was the soul of fairness and good design without it
    I was going to come up with some kind of response to this but I think I'll just go with "yes."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

You could further buff your FMM with some Argent Savant. It's a prc that focuses on force effects, making them deal more damage and provide more AC.
    Not a strong boost for a FMM, but thematic. Should also provide a boost that stacks with Abjurant Champ.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by herrhauptmann View Post
    You could further buff your FMM with some Argent Savant. It's a prc that focuses on force effects, making them deal more damage and provide more AC.
    Not a strong boost for a FMM, but thematic. Should also provide a boost that stacks with Abjurant Champ.
    Yeah but doesn't it give up another caster level?
    "The icy cold fingers of reason have choked the life out of this thread and despite all logic it keeps squirming", nope, it's dead.

-Invader

Awesome Avatar by Kymme!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Using the Argent Savant and meta magic you can do some halfway decent damage to a single target but that's about it.

I've played that and it was a hell of a lot of fun, but a lot of that was that fact that he thought that "Force" magic was the only "Real" magic and took every force spell he could. The fact that he was evil might have had something to do with it too. Oddly it was the spell many jaws and not magic missile that that elf is really remembered for though.

Assassinating someone with a quickened, empowered, maximized, twined magic missile, and an empowered, maximized, twined, repeating magic missile does have its appeal though.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Invader View Post
    Yeah but doesn't it give up another caster level?
    Honestly, I don't remember.
    If it does, it probably also boosts your CL when casting a force spell. Since you seem to want to focus on FMM, it shouldn't be a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by RolkFlameraven View Post
    I've played that and it was a hell of a lot of fun, but a lot of that was that fact that he thought that "Force" magic was the only "Real" magic and took every force spell he could. The fact that he was evil might have had something to do with it too. Oddly it was the spell many jaws and not magic missile that that elf is really remembered for though.

Assassinating someone with a quickened, empowered, maximized, twined magic missile, and an empowered, maximized, twined, repeating magic missile does have its appeal though.
    Many jaws? Source?
    No thundering or fell drain? :D
    Streamers isn't a force effect, is it?

15. - Top - End - #15

Argent Savant does lose 1 CL
    Streamers is not a force effect (damage is untyped)
    Manyjaws is in SpC
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

16. - Top - End - #16

Mixing in heighten and, if you can swing PF material, Rime spell could be a useful trick. add some debuff to the fun once you get Energy missile. Similarly, you could potentially mix in born of three thunders. I'm tempted to toss in blistering spell, but i doubt that actually works, seeing as they need to fail a save, which is normally not present. If you add blistering to Bo3T somehow (energy admixture? ALL THE METAMAGIC!) that could be fun.
    The Complete Warrior rules on losing prerequisites for a PrC apply to all books. This bothers me enough to sig it. If you disagree, please PM me, I'm down with being proven wrong.

Steam: Thiyr (The Great and Powerful Bulbasaur).
    SC2: RianL.377. Hit me up for some SC2 if you're on.

Bulbabulbabulbabulba...SAUR.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Can you make Force Missile Mage viable without fell drain, fell frighten, and fell weaken. I've seen other builds and advice but almost every one includes the above feats. Can you make magic missile something you actually want to use above really low levels?
    The answer is yes... and no. It's viable in a low-mid op game, but not in a mid-high op game.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.- Benjamin Franklin

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Evelyn Beatrice Hall

18. - Top - End - #18

Knowledge devotion and Lady's Gambit are decent boosts, once your FMM is using Twinned 7-missle spells. It's only +3 damage or so, but when added 14 times it can make a difference.
    This thread has a lot of resources for you
    Last edited by TiaC; 2013-10-01 at 03:57 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19

It almost goes without saying you want some means of casting quickened True Casting (Arcane Spellsurge, Arcane Fusions, actual Quicken...) or Assay SR if you're going to use Magic Missiles as your workhorse.

You could maybe houserule in it working with Chain Missile from Spell Compendium, which mechanically follows the rules of magic missile right down to being spoofed by Shield. It isn't great, but at least it has twice the base damage at high level and Range:Long going for it (and man you can be a JERK with Range: Long).

With full casting this PRC becomes a lot better. It also becomes better when you combo it with War Mage from Age of Mortals or Abjurant Champion because both of them require Combat Casting as well. War Mage 5/FMM 5 especially is much more acceptable if only because the War Mage damage amps the Magic Missiles into more acceptable territory.

20. - Top - End - #20

DrowGirl

War Mage 5/FMM 5 especially is much more acceptable if only because the War Mage damage amps the Magic Missiles into more acceptable territory.
    The War Mage ability to increase damage (Warmage edge) specifically states that it only applies to one missile for magic missile or similar multi-attack spells. A flat +2 - 3 damage to the entire cast isn't gonna do much for MM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by DeAnno View Post

With full casting this PRC becomes a lot bettedamage was so becomes better when you combo it with War Mage from Age of Mortals or Abjurant Champion because both of them require Combat Casting as well. War Mage 5/FMM 5 especially is much more acceptable if only because the War Mage damage amps the Magic Missiles into more acceptable territory.
    Why would you ever take 5 levels of warmage? Maybe 1 if warmage edge damage was for every missile but you're taking dead levels basically.

-Invader

Awesome Avatar by Kymme!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

It is War Mage from Age of mortals

NOT Warmage from Complete Arcane
    You don't see the gnomes running around fighting wars with each other, do you? No, because they're civilized.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb View Post
    It is War Mage from Age of mortals

NOT Warmage from Complete Arcane
    Isn't that 3rd party though. If we open up that can of worms we can make any class good.

-Invader

Awesome Avatar by Kymme!

24. - Top - End - #24

Isn't that 3rd party though. If we open up that can of worms we can make any class good.
    Nope, Dragonlance is actually an official WotC product.
    If you need D20 optimization advice or real-life advice, my PM box is always open.
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    Hail unto thee Jalor, First Favoured of the Carbonation Gods!
    Quote Originally Posted by Syka View Post
    I now confess my undying admiration of Jalor. You are a god amongst men for that surprisingly subtle use of Firefly.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92329

Arcane Sniper, the final PrC in the first post, might be relevant to this conversation.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Jalor View Post
    Nope, Dragonlance is actually an official WotC product.
    Actually, I'm pretty sure only the Dragonlance Campaign Setting book is First Party. The rest of the books have the WotC rights but I vaguely remember them not being actual WotC products.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerpriest View Post
    Actually, I'm pretty sure only the Dragonlance Campaign Setting book is First Party. The rest of the books have the WotC rights but I vaguely remember them not being actual WotC products.
    They are licensed by WotC but created and published by a different publisher.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    They are licensed by WotC but created and published by a different publisher.
    No, he's right; the Campaign Setting book was published by WotC, and the others (LotT etc.) were not.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

No, he's right; the Campaign Setting book was published by WotC, and the others (LotT etc.) were not.
    Yes, but they were still licensed by WotC.

Quote Originally Posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragonlance
    In 1997, Wizards of the Coast LLC purchased TSR, and licensed Dragonlance to Sovereign Press, Inc in 2001 to produce game materials; this licensing agreement expired in 2007.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Be a manifester, cast Energy Missile [sonic] at people? It seems like more or less the same thing.
    Last edited by Slipperychicken; 2013-10-01 at 12:39 PM.