New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: [MLP FwM] Miscellaneous Outside Adventures: Double Trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Snowflake was, for the lack of a better word, awestruck by the entire spectacle. Never in Equestria has she seen such a huge fortress that looked both menacing and alien at the same time. The young pegasus was similar impressed by the opulent interior, and had to be dragged away by Blueshield when she inevitably tarried to admire yet another tapestry or artefact.

Finally, when they reached the briefing room, Snowflake couldn't quite stifle her gasp when she found herself face-to-face with an actual Mareabian horse. She was... tall. Very tall. Though her momentary reverie was quickly broken when the mare addressed her. "O-Oh. Um. Hi! It w-was a nice journey here, yes. Mostly. Except for the bandits. Um. The commander? She... ah... she's... very dutiful. Yes. Dutiful. And a bit scary." Snowflake winced as she found herself stuttering, pausing to take a deep breath, and to reflexively unfurl her wings a little. "She's a good mare, ma'am."
    "Easily impressed, young one?" Audiences chuckled. "It's not often that Blueshield chooses to associate with one so innocent, or the other way around." She then gave Blueshield a stern look. "Most unexpected. Can you tell me how this came to be?"

Blueshield put a wing over Snowflake protectively. "Snowflake offered her assistance of her own free will, General, and I accepted. She seems capable enough. Her only serious demonstrated weakness is simple naïveté, and that is entirely correctable with time."

"That is good to hear." The Knight General jotted down a few notes, then looked up again. "So, Miss Snowflake, what do you intend to do now? Do you wish to return home tomorrow, or are you intending a longer stay? I hope you have prepared lodgings and know the local customs."

"General, there is no need for you to concern yourself with her accommodations. I have the situation under control."

"Be that as it may, I would still prefer to know. This is as much my jurisdiction as yours."

"With all due respect, Miss Snowflake is not our main topic of discussion tonight and may be overwhelmed by this interrogation."

Audiences gave another glare. "Blueshield, let her speak for herself. If she is unwilling or unable to answer, she may say so."

Blueshield lowered her head. "Pardon me, General. My intention was merely to ensure her comfort."

"Her comfort? Interesting." Audiences jotted down another note, then turned back to Snowflake. "So, do you wish to discuss your stay right now, Snowflake?"

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    The decor tells more of the cultural differences than anything. Equestrian being bright and protectorate leaning towards earth tones. It's also interesting to see tapestries that weren't strictly... historic. Of course, the griffon still feels a bit awkward covered with the dirt of the road and hopefully nopony notices the not-dirt.

He's heard worse of the old tongue. It being, at least as far as he knows, something of a dying language.

"Thank you for allowing entry. I need to clean myself to avoid being an offensive guest," the griffon replies in the language. He then switches to Equestrian, "If you are more comfortable with this language, please use what feels best."
    Morning Swirl shook her head. "You are very considerate, and I thank you, but I am most comfortable with the use of my own language and I know not whether or not you are able to understand it. If you are not able to speak my language, I will speak yours for the purpose of me being accommodating to you." She stood up. "Please follow me."

She led the griffon to a room in the back with a large water basin set into the floor.

"You are permitted to use this for cleaning yourself. Please attempt not to spill outside the bath; I desire not to waste the water. We shall discuss the payment for my services later."
    When in doubt, use cute little dragons.

Game and roleplaying stuff.

The data is 1's and 0's. Life is the jazz. (Previous avatars)

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PurityIcekiller View Post
    "Easily impressed, young one?" Audiences chuckled. "It's not often that Blueshield chooses to associate with one so innocent, or the other way around." She then gave Blueshield a stern look. "Most unexpected. Can you tell me how this came to be?"

Blueshield put a wing over Snowflake protectively. "Snowflake offered her assistance of her own free will, General, and I accepted. She seems capable enough. Her only serious demonstrated weakness is simple naïveté, and that is entirely correctable with time."

"That is good to hear." The Knight General jotted down a few notes, then looked up again. "So, Miss Snowflake, what do you intend to do now? Do you wish to return home tomorrow, or are you intending a longer stay? I hope you have prepared lodgings and know the local customs."

"General, there is no need for you to concern yourself with her accommodations. I have the situation under control."

"Be that as it may, I would still prefer to know. This is as much my jurisdiction as yours."

"With all due respect, Miss Snowflake is not our main topic of discussion tonight and may be overwhelmed by this interrogation."

Audiences gave another glare. "Blueshield, let her speak for herself. If she is unwilling or unable to answer, she may say so."

Blueshield lowered her head. "Pardon me, General. My intention was merely to ensure her comfort."

"Her comfort? Interesting." Audiences jotted down another note, then turned back to Snowflake. "So, do you wish to discuss your stay right now, Snowflake?"
    Snowflake looked first at Blueshield, then at the large Mareabian horse that stood before her, seemingly intent on asking all the questions despite Blueshield's protestations. Well, Snowflake wasn't a pushover in her own right, and with a deep breath, gently looked up at Audiences again.

"Yes, I can discuss those now. Um, I'm planning to stay for an extended time... as long as I can help Blueshield, really. Miss Blueshield has kindly prepared an inn for us to stay and uh... I plan to learn some of the local customs from her as well, if possible. I uh... am looking forward to learning more about Saddle Arabia, Miss." Snowflake offered a small, sincere smile.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Dwarf in the Playground

Snowflake looked first at Blueshield, then at the large Mareabian horse that stood before her, seemingly intent on asking all the questions despite Blueshield's protestations. Well, Snowflake wasn't a pushover in her own right, and with a deep breath, gently looked up at Audiences again.

"Yes, I can discuss those now. Um, I'm planning to stay for an extended time... as long as I can help Blueshield, really. Miss Blueshield has kindly prepared an inn for us to stay and uh... I plan to learn some of the local customs from her as well, if possible. I uh... am looking forward to learning more about Saddle Arabia, Miss." Snowflake offered a small, sincere smile.
    Audiences smiled back. "I am glad to hear that. It is not often that a foreigner is interested in our culture rather than our wealth."

Blueshield eyed Snowflake curiously. "Snowflake, you have already provided adequate service on my behalf. Further assistance, although appreciated, is unnecessary."

"Come now, Commander. Are you really turning her away after she came this far?"

"That was not a rejection. My point is that she has no obligation to me beyond this point. I did not state that she was unwanted."

"I see." Audiences sifted through her papers for a moment. "You do, however, have a track record of refusing help. My report here is that you insisted on pursuing Night Jewel alone."

"I did not have subordinates with the necessary skills. It was a task that required finesse and deductive reasoning, not force of arms."

"Then perhaps you should have looked for some. Furthermore, is it true that during the Fifth Battle of Bridle Shores, you ordered the other guards to abandon the gates after Dive Bomb's attack?"

"General, much of the town was afire. I considered that a major priority, and was confident in my own abilities to hold the line until it could be addressed."

"And if you had been wrong, and the gate had fallen?"

Blueshield considered for a moment. "...It was a calculated risk. And I was right."

Audiences cleared her throat. "Commander, you are an excellent Knight. Your loyalty, courage and ability are clearly established. However, there is more than that to being a good officer. You must coordinate well with allies and inspire them to follow you. A good Knight is simply one good soldier; a good officer can create fifty more.

"Now, my reports from your fellow Knights do not suggest you possess those qualities. You mostly use your position for the autonomy it grants, and do not associate well with others." The Horse began to read through her papers one by one. "Major Harmonic describes you as 'capable enough on the technical side, but stiff and humourless'. Colonel Panic says you are 'well-meaning, but too much of a perfectionist'. Major Malfunction considers you 'noble on the inside, but ill-tempered and impatient on the outside'. And as for your subordinates..." She began flipping through them faster. "'Unlikeable'. 'Liked by nopony'. 'A bitter, unlikeable loner'. 'Cranky'. 'Grouchy'. 'Crotchety'. 'Never happy'. 'Surly and unpleasant'... That is not what ponies want in a leader.

"However, what Miss Snowflake has told me suggests improvement. Perhaps she is a good influence, or your time in Bridle Shores helped you. Thus, we will continue to observe you doing her stay to see how you conduct yourself. You will be considered fully responsible for her, and should there be complaints or an incident involving her, there will be consequences for you. Do you understand?"

Blueshield stared for a time, eyes wide and ears drooped. It seemed she was almost as intimidated as Snowflake had been. Finally, she said, "It... is clear."

"Good. I am glad to get that out of the way." She turned back to Snowflake. "So, is there anything more you wish to say?"

4. - Top - End - #244
    Firbolg in the Playground

Morning Swirl shook her head. "You are very considerate, and I thank you, but I am most comfortable with the use of my own language and I know not whether or not you are able to understand it. If you are not able to speak my language, I will speak yours for the purpose of me being accommodating to you." She stood up. "Please follow me."

She led the griffon to a room in the back with a large water basin set into the floor.

"You are permitted to use this for cleaning yourself. Please attempt not to spill outside the bath; I desire not to waste the water. We shall discuss the payment for my services later."

"Thank you,"
    the griffon replies politely before looking over the bath. It is... rather nice to have a little alone time. It's kind of odd how after all this time now he's wanting for a moment's solitude. He, as requested attempts to keep the splashing to a minimum. It takes some care, as a griffon's wingspan is more than a pegasus'. One must wonder how many of his kind make it here. And that touches on the subject of food. It will take some care to request certain sources of protein.

After cleaning up, the griffon makes his way back to the inn's commons. Hopefully the culture shock won't lead him to offend.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ettin in the Playground

Audiences smiled back. "I am glad to hear that. It is not often that a foreigner is interested in our culture rather than our wealth."

Blueshield eyed Snowflake curiously. "Snowflake, you have already provided adequate service on my behalf. Further assistance, although appreciated, is unnecessary."

"Come now, Commander. Are you really turning her away after she came this far?"

"That was not a rejection. My point is that she has no obligation to me beyond this point. I did not state that she was unwanted."

"I see." Audiences sifted through her papers for a moment. "You do, however, have a track record of refusing help. My report here is that you insisted on pursuing Night Jewel alone."

"I did not have subordinates with the necessary skills. It was a task that required finesse and deductive reasoning, not force of arms."

"Then perhaps you should have looked for some. Furthermore, is it true that during the Fifth Battle of Bridle Shores, you ordered the other guards to abandon the gates after Dive Bomb's attack?"

"General, much of the town was afire. I considered that a major priority, and was confident in my own abilities to hold the line until it could be addressed."

"And if you had been wrong, and the gate had fallen?"

Blueshield considered for a moment. "...It was a calculated risk. And I was right."

Audiences cleared her throat. "Commander, you are an excellent Knight. Your loyalty, courage and ability are clearly established. However, there is more than that to being a good officer. You must coordinate well with allies and inspire them to follow you. A good Knight is simply one good soldier; a good officer can create fifty more.

"Now, my reports from your fellow Knights do not suggest you possess those qualities. You mostly use your position for the autonomy it grants, and do not associate well with others." The Horse began to read through her papers one by one. "Major Harmonic describes you as 'capable enough on the technical side, but stiff and humourless'. Colonel Panic says you are 'well-meaning, but too much of a perfectionist'. Major Malfunction considers you 'noble on the inside, but ill-tempered and impatient on the outside'. And as for your subordinates..." She began flipping through them faster. "'Unlikeable'. 'Liked by nopony'. 'A bitter, unlikeable loner'. 'Cranky'. 'Grouchy'. 'Crotchety'. 'Never happy'. 'Surly and unpleasant'... That is not what ponies want in a leader.

"However, what Miss Snowflake has told me suggests improvement. Perhaps she is a good influence, or your time in Bridle Shores helped you. Thus, we will continue to observe you doing her stay to see how you conduct yourself. You will be considered fully responsible for her, and should there be complaints or an incident involving her, there will be consequences for you. Do you understand?"

Blueshield stared for a time, eyes wide and ears drooped. It seemed she was almost as intimidated as Snowflake had been. Finally, she said, "It... is clear."

"Good. I am glad to get that out of the way." She turned back to Snowflake. "So, is there anything more you wish to say?"

Snowflake looked at the tall Saddle Arabian with some wonder; it wasn't every day that you got to see someone like Blueshield intimidated like that. She looked first at Blueshield, then back at Audiences, looking a mite worried, and concerned at the same time. Taking a deep breath, she set her gaze back at the Saddle Arabian. "I... um... I don't want to cause any trouble for Miss Blueshield. I'm sure she'll turn out to be very helpful; you'll see." Her tone was perfectly sincere too. "Other than that, no, I don't think I have anything else to say."

6. - Top - End - #246
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Thank you,"
    the griffon replies politely before looking over the bath. It is... rather nice to have a little alone time. It's kind of odd how after all this time now he's wanting for a moment's solitude. He, as requested attempts to keep the splashing to a minimum. It takes some care, as a griffon's wingspan is more than a pegasus'. One must wonder how many of his kind make it here. And that touches on the subject of food. It will take some care to request certain sources of protein.

After cleaning up, the griffon makes his way back to the inn's commons. Hopefully the culture shock won't lead him to offend.
    Nothing like a nice, cool, refreshing bath to take away the stress of desert travel.

Once he was done, Morning Swirl was waiting for him at the counter. She looked him over carefully, then gave a nod. "You are looking much better. Now, it is necessary that we have a discussion of the services that are provided by the inn.

"So... I require of you that you are able to provide payment for food or use of the rooms. The cost of a meal is three silver coins, and the cost of a room is five silver coins." She hesitated a bit. "I will try to get something you are capable of eating. I... am afraid the thing that I have most similar to food griffons eat is the food I give to cats. I mean no insult, and I am very sorry if this offends you..." She blushed, then regained her composure. "Still, I have good tea. Is tea something you enjoy?"

Snowflake looked at the tall Saddle Arabian with some wonder; it wasn't every day that you got to see someone like Blueshield intimidated like that. She looked first at Blueshield, then back at Audiences, looking a mite worried, and concerned at the same time. Taking a deep breath, she set her gaze back at the Saddle Arabian. "I... um... I don't want to cause any trouble for Miss Blueshield. I'm sure she'll turn out to be very helpful; you'll see." Her tone was perfectly sincere too. "Other than that, no, I don't think I have anything else to say."
    "Let us hope your confidence is not misplaced, young one," said Audiences. "Your presence will help; a good example does wonders, and you are very respectful." She then raised a hoof. "Now, you both are dismissed. Enjoy your time in Mareabia, Miss Snowflake. Until we meet again."

"Farewell, General," sighed Blueshield. "Come, Snowflake. Unless you intend to do some more sight-seeing here, our next destination is the Waves' Edge."

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ettin in the Playground

"Let us hope your confidence is not misplaced, young one," said Audiences. "Your presence will help; a good example does wonders, and you are very respectful." She then raised a hoof. "Now, you both are dismissed. Enjoy your time in Mareabia, Miss Snowflake. Until we meet again."

"Farewell, General," sighed Blueshield. "Come, Snowflake. Unless you intend to do some more sight-seeing here, our next destination is the Waves' Edge."
    Snowflake belated remembered to bow her head as Audiences dismissed the both of them. "Y-Yes, I will. I think."

When Blueshield addressed her, she shook her head. "I think I had my fill of grand palaces for the day. We can always come back later, right?" she asked, hopefully.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Dwarf in the Playground

Snowflake belated remembered to bow her head as Audiences dismissed the both of them. "Y-Yes, I will. I think."

When Blueshield addressed her, she shook her head. "I think I had my fill of grand palaces for the day. We can always come back later, right?" she asked, hopefully.
    Blueshield nodded. "Considering my occupation, it would be rather unanticipated if we did not have cause to return shortly. It will be more of an obligation than an option, however."

She led Snowflake outside into the darkening streets. As they walked, she remained silent, although it was hard to tell whether it was because she was sulking or she was just being her usual distant self. At any rate, it wasn't long before they arrived outside the inn.

9. - Top - End - #249

Nothing like a nice, cool, refreshing bath to take away the stress of desert travel.

Once he was done, Morning Swirl was waiting for him at the counter. She looked him over carefully, then gave a nod. "You are looking much better. Now, it is necessary that we have a discussion of the services that are provided by the inn.

"So... I require of you that you are able to provide payment for food or use of the rooms. The cost of a meal is three silver coins, and the cost of a room is five silver coins." She hesitated a bit. "I will try to get something you are capable of eating. I... am afraid the thing that I have most similar to food griffons eat is the food I give to cats. I mean no insult, and I am very sorry if this offends you..." She blushed, then regained her composure. "Still, I have good tea. Is tea something you enjoy?"
    "It is no insult. I know it my kind can be difficult to accommodate. For the most part, I can eat what ponies eat. Too much sugar makes me ill though." There's a joke about ponies not knowing what too much sugar is though, but the griffon isn't familiar enough at this point to attempt. "Tea would be welcome."

He takes a moment before considering the money.
    "The coin I have is in gold. Do you require it be changed?"
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

10. - Top - End - #250
    Dwarf in the Playground

"It is no insult. I know it my kind can be difficult to accommodate. For the most part, I can eat what ponies eat. Too much sugar makes me ill though." There's a joke about ponies not knowing what too much sugar is though, but the griffon isn't familiar enough at this point to attempt. "Tea would be welcome."
    "It is a relief to hear you saying that." Morning Swirl smiled. "I think you will not have many problems with the food, if that is the case. I am able to serve vegetables over rice, and that has only spices, not sugar. The tea will be ready shortly, and I will have my kitchen assistants prepare the meal."

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus
    He takes a moment before considering the money.
    "The coin I have is in gold. Do you require it be changed?"
    The innkeeper considered for a moment. "Coins of gold are used in this country if they are the right kind. But our golden coins are different from Equestrian bits. Our coins are a different size, and the gold is more pure - in Equestria, they must make many more coins with the same quantity of gold, and they add other metals to it." She shook her head. "If you have bits, you must give them to a money-changer. I can tell you where one is near here, if it is necessary."

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ettin in the Playground

Blueshield nodded. "Considering my occupation, it would be rather unanticipated if we did not have cause to return shortly. It will be more of an obligation than an option, however."

She led Snowflake outside into the darkening streets. As they walked, she remained silent, although it was hard to tell whether it was because she was sulking or she was just being her usual distant self. At any rate, it wasn't long before they arrived outside the inn.
    Well, if Blueshield wasn't talking, it wasn't really in Snowflake's nature to pry either. Not that it was hard to keep herself occupied in the meantime. The city was new and exotic to her pegasi senses, and she very much enjoyed the sights and sounds of the city, even if it was less hustle and bustle at this time of the day.

Once they reached the inn however, Snowflake wasted no time galloping in and looking to see if their other companion, the griffon, had arrived or not.

12. - Top - End - #252

"It is a relief to hear you saying that." Morning Swirl smiled. "I think you will not have many problems with the food, if that is the case. I am able to serve vegetables over rice, and that has only spices, not sugar. The tea will be ready shortly, and I will have my kitchen assistants prepare the meal."

The innkeeper considered for a moment. "Coins of gold are used in this country if they are the right kind. But our golden coins are different from Equestrian bits. Our coins are a different size, and the gold is more pure - in Equestria, they must make many more coins with the same quantity of gold, and they add other metals to it." She shook her head. "If you have bits, you must give them to a money-changer. I can tell you where one is near here, if it is necessary."
    "Then I suppose that is the most pressing business at the moment," The griffon replies giving some thought after the statement. He never really liked having to convert currency, with some city states still using obsidian tokens instead of bits. There also happens to be another one of those cultural sticking points coming up.

"As I don't wish to offend, I should ask whether it is expected to haggle with such businesses."
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #253
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Then I suppose that is the most pressing business at the moment," The griffon replies giving some thought after the statement. He never really liked having to convert currency, with some city states still using obsidian tokens instead of bits. There also happens to be another one of those cultural sticking points coming up.

"As I don't wish to offend, I should ask whether it is expected to haggle with such businesses."
    "It... is not expected. It creates problems with the trade of currency. But haggling is done in the markets in the open air, and in some indoor stores."

Well, if Blueshield wasn't talking, it wasn't really in Snowflake's nature to pry either. Not that it was hard to keep herself occupied in the meantime. The city was new and exotic to her pegasi senses, and she very much enjoyed the sights and sounds of the city, even if it was less hustle and bustle at this time of the day.

Once they reached the inn however, Snowflake wasted no time galloping in and looking to see if their other companion, the griffon, had arrived or not.
    Considering that the griffon hadn't made any stops along the way and they hadn't fallen into a space-time anomaly, the griffon was obviously there. He was easy to spot, out in front of the innkeeper herself.

Morning Swirl glanced up as they entered. "Good evening, travellers," she said in slightly accented Equestrian. "Please be patient. I have not yet finished here..."

"They are with me, Swirl," said Blueshield as she entered as well.

"Oh, Blueshield!" The pink mare immediately brightened up. "It is good to see you. I only wish I had known you were arriving. Come join your friend."

Blueshield stepped up to join the griffon and Snowflake. "You should have known. Did you not receive my note?"

"Note?" Morning Swirl's ears lowered. "Oh, no. I am afraid I did not."

Blueshield glared at the griffon for a moment, then turned back to the innkeeper. "I apologize. I intended that you be informed of our arrival earlier. These two, Snowflake of Equestria and the griffon, were my escorts for the journey. I will cover the cost of their accommodations during their stay." She then turned to Snowflake. "This is Morning Swirl, who I believe I have mentioned previously. I expect you will get along."

"It is a pleasure to meet you, Snowflake." Morning Swirl smiled, then spoke to the griffon again. "Payment from you will not be necessary at this time. I will see to it that your meal and room are prepared as soon as is possible."

14. - Top - End - #254

"
    "It is a pleasure to meet you, Snowflake." Morning Swirl smiled, then spoke to the griffon again. "Payment from you will not be necessary at this time. I will see to it that your meal and room are prepared as soon as is possible."
    "Thank you," the griffon responds politely to their host before turning towards the returning companions.

"It has been something of a relief to see that in some places hosts and guests behave as they should. Most of what I've seen of the crownlands has problems with manners."
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ettin in the Playground

Blueshield stepped up to join the griffon and Snowflake. "You should have known. Did you not receive my note?"

"Note?" Morning Swirl's ears lowered. "Oh, no. I am afraid I did not."

Blueshield glared at the griffon for a moment, then turned back to the innkeeper. "I apologize. I intended that you be informed of our arrival earlier. These two, Snowflake of Equestria and the griffon, were my escorts for the journey. I will cover the cost of their accommodations during their stay." She then turned to Snowflake. "This is Morning Swirl, who I believe I have mentioned previously. I expect you will get along."

"Pleased to meet you, Morning Swirl!" the pegasus said brightly. She looked around somewhat excitedly at the new surroundings then looked at Blueshield and Morning Swirl. "Mind if I take a look around? I promise I wouldn't be long!"

16. - Top - End - #256
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Thank you," the griffon responds politely to their host before turning towards the returning companions.

"It has been something of a relief to see that in some places hosts and guests behave as they should. Most of what I've seen of the crownlands has problems with manners."
    "Indeed, Swirl is particularly courteous. Not everypony would give you such hospitality without knowing you were associated with me - some would regard you poorly even if they did know. And I presume you have been gracious to her in return?"

"Yes, he has. He is most reasonable."

Blueshield's glare softened. "Good. So you can show her proper respect, at the least. However, I insist that we speak in private at the earliest convenience."

"Pleased to meet you, Morning Swirl!" the pegasus said brightly. She looked around somewhat excitedly at the new surroundings then looked at Blueshield and Morning Swirl. "Mind if I take a look around? I promise I wouldn't be long!"
    Morning Swirl nodded. "It is no problem. If you desire it, I am willing to show you some things as well."

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ettin in the Playground

Morning Swirl nodded. "It is no problem. If you desire it, I am willing to show you some things as well."
    Snowflake's eyes brightened with enthusiasm. Naive she may be, but lacking in spirit she was not. Her wings flicked excitedly as she turned to face Morning Swirl. "If you're willing, sure! I'd love to have you to show me around!"

18. - Top - End - #258

"Indeed, Swirl is particularly courteous. Not everypony would give you such hospitality without knowing you were associated with me - some would regard you poorly even if they did know. And I presume you have been gracious to her in return?"

"Yes, he has. He is most reasonable."

Blueshield's glare softened. "Good. So you can show her proper respect, at the least. However, I insist that we speak in private at the earliest convenience."

"I can speak any time that's convenient to you then. Though you do make it too tempting to ask questions about your station here," the griffon replies having some previous unpleasantness brought to mind by the regard comment. Likely to his mind, the discussion will lead to some specifics about the bandits.

Despite having bled for Blueshield's protection, there's still a matter of distrust in this venture. The word bandit has a cultural connotation to him being closer to what many would call "rebels". Funny how semantics can plant that kind of seed of distrust.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #259
    Dwarf in the Playground

Snowflake's eyes brightened with enthusiasm. Naive she may be, but lacking in spirit she was not. Her wings flicked excitedly as she turned to face Morning Swirl. "If you're willing, sure! I'd love to have you to show me around!"
    "You are so lively!" Morning Swirl said, noticeably perking up. "You remind me of Blueshield when she was younger. Follow me."

She began leading Snowflake around the establishment. Their first stop was a modest-sized bedroom on the upper floor, with a window with purple curtains, a potted plant in one corner, a trunk at the foot of the bed, a small blue ornamental rug, a shelf with a few decorative jars on it, and a large bowl presumably used for water. The bed covers ranged from heavy blankets to thin sheets, which could be removed or added to ensure comfort at any temperature.

"This is one of the places you may stay. It may be... more modest than that to which you are accustomed, but it is comfortable." She sighed. "The others are the same, but some are different colours. I only hope that one is to your liking."

Morning Swirl then turned to head back down.

"There is a bathing area downstairs. Do you wish to wash yourself before dinner?" After a moment, she realized what she had said and gasped. "...Not that I think you are unclean or anything! It is just... you have travelled far, and I expect a bath would be soothing. But it is up to you. Whatever you wish..." Her face was growing rather red.

"I can speak any time that's convenient to you then. Though you do make it too tempting to ask questions about your station here," the griffon replies having some previous unpleasantness brought to mind by the regard comment. Likely to his mind, the discussion will lead to some specifics about the bandits.

Despite having bled for Blueshield's protection, there's still a matter of distrust in this venture. The word bandit has a cultural connotation to him being closer to what many would call "rebels". Funny how semantics can plant that kind of seed of distrust.
    Blueshield beckoned the griffon upstairs. "Come, then."

She led him into one of the bedrooms upstairs, similar to the one shown to Snowflake but with decorations more on the yellow-and-white side. She then closed the door.

"To use the vernacular, Mr. Griffon, what is your deal?" Her ears went flat against her skull. "You question or ignore my decisions to an alarming - and almost insulting - extent. Your failure to deliver my missive caused me embarrassment before my closest friend. This is not the first complication you have caused me; your antics during the attack disrupted my intended strategy, endangered your life unnecessarily, and caused the death of a lawbreaker I would have much preferred alive. This cannot be permitted to persist."

She leaned closer. "Perhaps you could explain yourself. If you have some reason to doubt my credentials, it is imperative that I be informed; if it is a different issue, I still advise you to be open about it. After all, I am your closest ally familiar with the local region, I am quite knowledgeable in matters military, political, scientific and historical, and you will face fewer difficulties under my supervision. However, if we are to be associated, we need a professional relationship at the very least. Is that acceptable?"

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ettin in the Playground

"You are so lively!" Morning Swirl said, noticeably perking up. "You remind me of Blueshield when she was younger. Follow me."

She began leading Snowflake around the establishment. Their first stop was a modest-sized bedroom on the upper floor, with a window with purple curtains, a potted plant in one corner, a trunk at the foot of the bed, a small blue ornamental rug, a shelf with a few decorative jars on it, and a large bowl presumably used for water. The bed covers ranged from heavy blankets to thin sheets, which could be removed or added to ensure comfort at any temperature.

"This is one of the places you may stay. It may be... more modest than that to which you are accustomed, but it is comfortable." She sighed. "The others are the same, but some are different colours. I only hope that one is to your liking."

Morning Swirl then turned to head back down.

"There is a bathing area downstairs. Do you wish to wash yourself before dinner?" After a moment, she realized what she had said and gasped. "...Not that I think you are unclean or anything! It is just... you have travelled far, and I expect a bath would be soothing. But it is up to you. Whatever you wish..." Her face was growing rather red.

"Modest? Why, I think it's positively cosy!"
    Snowflake twittered excitedly, as she leaned close to inspect several items of interest: Arabian jars, the ornamental rugs, even the exotic architecture that no doubt made up the place. "I think I'll take this room!" If there's one thing the pegasus didn't lack, it was enthusiasm.

Though Swirl's reaction to her own little faux pas has Snowflake giggling. "Oh, don't fret, I'm not offended. Yeah, a bath sounds nice right about now. I think I got sand in my feathers..." Snowflake flicked her wings, and looked back at them mournfully. She wasn't really prepared to deal with this much sand, despite her preparation. "Really need to get a thicker scarf or something."
    Last edited by Grif; 2016-03-16 at 09:55 PM.

21. - Top - End - #261

Blueshield beckoned the griffon upstairs. "Come, then."

She led him into one of the bedrooms upstairs, similar to the one shown to Snowflake but with decorations more on the yellow-and-white side. She then closed the door.

"To use the vernacular, Mr. Griffon, what is your deal?" Her ears went flat against her skull. "You question or ignore my decisions to an alarming - and almost insulting - extent. Your failure to deliver my missive caused me embarrassment before my closest friend. This is not the first complication you have caused me; your antics during the attack disrupted my intended strategy, endangered your life unnecessarily, and caused the death of a lawbreaker I would have much preferred alive. This cannot be permitted to persist."

She leaned closer. "Perhaps you could explain yourself. If you have some reason to doubt my credentials, it is imperative that I be informed; if it is a different issue, I still advise you to be open about it. After all, I am your closest ally familiar with the local region, I am quite knowledgeable in matters military, political, scientific and historical, and you will face fewer difficulties under my supervision. However, if we are to be associated, we need a professional relationship at the very least. Is that acceptable?"
    The griffon takes a moment without showing any emotional reaction, milling things over. At least it seems time for these things to come to a head. Perhaps this comes from them being alike enough to have their differences rub the wrong way, or perhaps too different all together. Calmly, the griffon takes a breath and. This goes along with unbreaking eye contact.

"For one, you are complaining about the lethality of combat to a companion that bled for you. The only one of your company to do so. You hold back, and it's not you enemies that die. You know this. But then this brings forth the nagging question of 'why'. Bandits have causes, or they would just be robbers. Here you have all the marking of a spymaster instead of a sergeant."

"I can see more than you expect I see. The idea that there's more at play here than just returning you to your homeland. And you need to understand that I am neither soldier nor a shadow in the blizzard."
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #262
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Modest? Why, I think it's positively cosy!"
    Snowflake twittered excitedly, as she leaned close to inspect several items of interest: Arabian jars, the ornamental rugs, even the exotic architecture that no doubt made up the place. "I think I'll take this room!" If there's one thing the pegasus didn't lack, it was enthusiasm.

Though Swirl's reaction to her own little faux pas has Snowflake giggling. "Oh, don't fret, I'm not offended. Yeah, a bath sounds nice right about now. I think I got sand in my feathers..." Snowflake flicked her wings, and looked back at them mournfully. She wasn't really prepared to deal with this much sand, despite her preparation. "Really need to get a thicker scarf or something."
    "Oh. You are very good-natured." Swirl calmed down somewhat. "I am sorry. I am... not always sure how to conduct myself around new ponies. Anyway, I am glad you like it."

Snowflake's last comment got a chuckle. "You see why ponies here cover themselves so much. You can ask Blueshield for help; her brother and his wife are fabric-workers."

With that, Swirl brought them back downstairs and showed Snowflake the bathing area.

"So... Do you want privacy?" She started to blush again. "If you do, I will be outside. The assistants should have dinner ready when you are done."

The griffon takes a moment without showing any emotional reaction, milling things over. At least it seems time for these things to come to a head. Perhaps this comes from them being alike enough to have their differences rub the wrong way, or perhaps too different all together. Calmly, the griffon takes a breath and. This goes along with unbreaking eye contact.

"For one, you are complaining about the lethality of combat to a companion that bled for you. The only one of your company to do so. You hold back, and it's not you enemies that die. You know this. But then this brings forth the nagging question of 'why'. Bandits have causes, or they would just be robbers. Here you have all the marking of a spymaster instead of a sergeant."

"I can see more than you expect I see. The idea that there's more at play here than just returning you to your homeland. And you need to understand that I am neither soldier nor a shadow in the blizzard."
    "Your observational capabilities, Mr. Griffon, are not as refined as you believe them to be," Blueshield said, pointedly rubbing her burned shoulder. "My operations are hardly covert. I have made no attempt to deceive you, nor have I deliberately withheld information. There are simply matters that I lack cause or ability to discuss. For instance, I have no certain knowledge of the bandits' motivations as I was unable to question them. Something to do with them being unconscious, if I recall correctly.

"Now, I am a Knight; I am simply not a reckless fool whose solution to every problem involves charging or projectile weaponry. My methods reflect that I am as much a scholar as a warrior. If you require further clarification, then you need but ask. Or, if you still harbour distrustful feelings, then my superiors at headquarters can confirm my statements. They know I am uninterested in spy work, and likely consider me too conspicuous besides."

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ettin in the Playground

"Oh. You are very good-natured." Swirl calmed down somewhat. "I am sorry. I am... not always sure how to conduct myself around new ponies. Anyway, I am glad you like it."

Snowflake's last comment got a chuckle. "You see why ponies here cover themselves so much. You can ask Blueshield for help; her brother and his wife are fabric-workers."

With that, Swirl brought them back downstairs and showed Snowflake the bathing area.

"So... Do you want privacy?" She started to blush again. "If you do, I will be outside. The assistants should have dinner ready when you are done."
    "Um. Yes, please. I ah... prefer to do this alone, actually," Snowflake said with a soft laugh and blush of her own. "Not used to having ponies around while I wash up."

24. - Top - End - #264
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Um. Yes, please. I ah... prefer to do this alone, actually," Snowflake said with a soft laugh and blush of her own. "Not used to having ponies around while I wash up."
    "Oh, yes, of course." Swirl looked extremely ashamed. "I... shouldn't even have asked, really. I'll go now." She stepped outside.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ettin in the Playground

"Oh, yes, of course." Swirl looked extremely ashamed. "I... shouldn't even have asked, really. I'll go now." She stepped outside.
    It had been a long day, and with a grateful sigh, Snowflake began tugging off her extra clothes and prepared to wash up...

Depending on whether or not she was rushed, the pegasus mare would emerge from the room whistling cheerfully, sporting clean and groomed fur, towels wrapped around her head. "Morning Swirl?" she called out, as she rummaged through her bags for her backup scarf.