New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Shadowrun Topic(Talk & Questions)

A bit of a random question here but I'm working on a small campaign involving a port.

The main premise is that the runners should steal a cargo container from a cargo dock before it gets scanned in customs (the meta is a smuggling and insurance scam) but I'm not quite sure how to work it. Automation would be high and I imagine just about every device is rigger adapted and run remotely in order to ensure that the dock runs at peak capacity at all time.
    Do you think every container would be X-rayed or would it be a random pick?

I suppose what I'm really asking for is "how do you imagine cargo and customs procedure would work in the 2070s?"
    Boats are like nuts, the outside is hard but the inside is usually good to eat.

And remember, things can always get worse.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asheram View Post
    Do you think every container would be X-rayed or would it be a random pick?
    Basically everyone involved in shipping cargo wants it going through fast, so probably only a small portion of containers would be fully scanned/inspected (as I understand is currently practice). Automation doesn't really help that much here, it's still going to take X time per container.

3. - Top - End - #153

At a guess, I'd say that the X-rays are automated, but only a randomly selected few are actually looked at. That way, if the cops come by to check on a container, the shipyard can sell them the scans.
    EDIT: By that I mean all of them are X-rayed, but only some of the scans are inspected. There might be some automated detection system for illegal shapes, but that would be easy to bypass.
    Last edited by The Random NPC; 2013-11-28 at 11:50 AM.
    See when a tree falls in the forest, and there's no one there to hear it, you can bet we've bought the vinyl.
    -Snow White

4. - Top - End - #154

RedWizardGuy

How much noise should a decker reasonably expect and how should they get around it? This is part GM bullcrap detector and part player complaint. It appears that there's no way to roll past 13-14 dice on a hacking roll, so eating 3 dice in noise penalty really sucks. Thoughts?

5. - Top - End - #155
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by HMS Invincible View Post
    How much noise should a decker reasonably expect and how should they get around it? This is part GM bullcrap detector and part player complaint. It appears that there's no way to roll past 13-14 dice on a hacking roll, so eating 3 dice in noise penalty really sucks. Thoughts?
    Really, once the RAS kicks in, you shouldn't have any noise penalties... you simply don't notice it, because your head is in cyberspace, not meatspace. It's why deckers have people to watch them while they go byebye.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

6. - Top - End - #156

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Really, once the RAS kicks in, you shouldn't have any noise penalties... you simply don't notice it, because your head is in cyberspace, not meatspace. It's why deckers have people to watch them while they go byebye.
    Does he mean actually noise or network noise, like system interference or excessive corrupted/junk packets?

Maybe i shouldn't wade into this one pre coffee 4.
    Aside from "have fun", i think the key to GMing is putting your players into situations where they need to make a choice that has no perfect outcome available. They will hate you for it, but they will be back at the table session after session.

7. - Top - End - #157

RedWizardGuy

I reread the 5e rules for decking, and it seems that if we get a direct connection, there should be 0 noise. If we get him within 100 meters of the target, like say a bank and there's no spam, there should also be 0 noise penalties. Am I reading that right?

In addition, does your lifestyle matter with regards to connecting to the target? For example, if you are close enough, you should never have to suffer grid-to-grid penalties.
    Last edited by HMS Invincible; 2013-12-02 at 11:57 AM.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ettin in the Playground

I reread the 5e rules for decking, and it seems that if we get a direct connection, there should be 0 noise. If we get him within 100 meters of the target, like say a bank and there's no spam, there should also be 0 noise penalties. Am I reading that right?

In addition, does your lifestyle matter with regards to connecting to the target? For example, if you are close enough, you should never have to suffer grid-to-grid penalties.
    As I read it, you'd still suffer cross-grid penalties unless you're on the same grid (and again if You're on the Public Grid. ) lifestyle only (potentially) eleliminates the need to hack onto a new grid.
    Personally, I want rules on shunting someone to a different grid (Like the Public one). Possibly as a Complex Form).
    Last edited by Thanatos 51-50; 2013-12-03 at 12:07 PM.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

Within 100 meters of a bank and no spam, what city do you run in chummer?

In all seriousness though, for most things a runner will try to do, noise is only an issue if they are very far away or there is spam or such in the area. It's a lot like background count. It's not uncommon per say, but it shouldn't be the norm.
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion

10. - Top - End - #160

Anyone know how to disarm a bomb in 4e?
    See when a tree falls in the forest, and there's no one there to hear it, you can bet we've bought the vinyl.
    -Snow White

11. - Top - End - #161

CUT THE BLUE WIRE!

Personally, I'd go with Demolitions, the Logic-based Active Skill. It specifically has a specialization in defusing. I might let someone use Hardware to "deconstruct" the bomb mechanism, or Hacking if there's a wireless command option (classic "Low-end commlink providing the detonation command"). Hardware would definitely have a higher Threshold, whereas hacking might avoid the problem entirely.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

12. - Top - End - #162

What I meant was, is there any rules for disarming a bomb? Is it extended or 1 check? How do you know if the bomb was set off? How do you determine the threshold, assuming the bomb setter didn't want the bomb disarmed, but you could get access to it without setting it off?
    -Snow White

13. - Top - End - #163
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Random NPC View Post
    Is it extended or 1 check?
    I'd reckon that will depend on how realistic you want to portray the defusing action. Based on videos I've seen with "Bomb bots", defusing an explosive is normally a slow and careful process.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    I'd reckon that will depend on how realistic you want to portray the defusing action. Based on videos I've seen with "Bomb bots", defusing an explosive is normally a slow and careful process.
    Realistic would be an extended action against difficulty of the bomb-setters demolitions, with a botch being setting it off early. Of course, assuming the bomb isn't integrated into architecture, it'd probably just be easier to throw it somewhere nobody is.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ettin in the Playground

One of my 5e players wants to have a wingsuit-type armour modification built within his Urban Explorer Jumpsuit.
    Rules on the wingsuit seem like somethingI can probably handwave without hard numbers, but I do need a number on price.
    Any ideas what a 2075, built-in wingsuit would cost?
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

16. - Top - End - #166

Depends on the complexity. If it's a constantly attached airfoil (making him a flying squirrel), then I imagine pretty cheap... double the cost of the armor to account for the extra material and bracing.

If he's looking for something more flexible... the wings can be stored so he doesn't have a constant set of flaps, only when he wants them... I'd go at least triple, and be more inclined to look towards 5 times or so.
    The Cranky Gamer

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

I'd say first 100 for material constantly active, +250 for it too be able to fold and the bracing. If the armor is 1000+ credits increase the cost by another 200. Increase the cost by 100 for Dwarves. Increase the cost by 150 for Trolls.

Another 250 for it too be the same baseline armor statistics. Aka same Ballistic and Impact armor
    Add the cost of any special effects, non-conductivity, fire resistance etc. as 1 ranking. So if the armor has Fire Resistance, Nonconductivity he adds the cost of 1 ranking too the cost.

So 350-500 credits + Special Notes.

---

As for the demolitions

Are we looking at simple trigger or complex trigger?
    Simple Mechanism; 1 Action up too 3 Initiative Passes. Being 1 to 3 Demolition Checks

Complex Triggers extended tests(1minute too 1 hour per Demolitions check)
    Check Out
    Check out my youtube channel just click here and enjoy?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscast_Mage View Post
    You're a frickin' ninja below me, too!? You got mad skills, Vknight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Rogue vs. Dog. (The new Cat vs. Commoner, only not amusing!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    You are making the assumption of rational planning. After 37 years of dungeon crawling, I still have zero evidence that the average dungeon was designed by the sane.
    "Sleep is optional, just ask Vknight" Someone I Forget but thanks... I don't

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ettin in the Playground

Sanity check:

Wingsuit: Capacity 2: 1500 nuyen
    -- Folding : Capacity +1: +250 nuyen

This hi-tech airfoil is built into the armour, granting the wearer a plus 2 to gymnastics abd athletics tests to increase the distance of a jump or to reduce/ignore damage from falling.
    However, due to the awkward nature of the suit, the wearer also receives a -1 dice pool modifier to all other Agility tests (including combat), and a -1 to initiative.
    A folding wingsuit must be deployed as a simple action before its bonuses apply, and a simple action to stow the suit removes the penalties.
    Flying any appreciable distance is an Agility + Pilot Aircraft (3), made once per nautical mile or city block, the wingsuit's agility penalty does not apply here, but the Glider specialization does.
    Wireless: Deploying or stowing the suit is a free action.
    Last edited by Thanatos 51-50; 2014-01-10 at 05:51 PM.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

19. - Top - End - #169

Quote Originally Posted by Vknight View Post
    As for the demolitions

Are we looking at simple trigger or complex trigger?
    Simple Mechanism; 1 Action up too 3 Initiative Passes. Being 1 to 3 Demolition Checks

Complex Triggers extended tests(1minute too 1 hour per Demolitions check)
    Since there aren't any rules, I've been thinking about how I might houserule it. I was thinking something like, Extended test, target number based on complexity, track any rolled 1's, when they reach a predetermined number, the bomb explodes. I'm thinking 15 for commercial explosives, and every 2 success on the Demolitions test to set the bomb can be used to modify the Boom Number by one. I'm not sure how to represent lack of training though. With this rule, it's safer to not be trained in Demolitions, as you could only roll one 1 at a time.
    -Snow White

20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Random NPC View Post
    Since there aren't any rules, I've been thinking about how I might houserule it. I was thinking something like, Extended test, target number based on complexity, track any rolled 1's, when they reach a predetermined number, the bomb explodes. I'm thinking 15 for commercial explosives, and every 2 success on the Demolitions test to set the bomb can be used to modify the Boom Number by one. I'm not sure how to represent lack of training though. With this rule, it's safer to not be trained in Demolitions, as you could only roll one 1 at a time.
    Just use the rules for limited extended tests (every time you roll after the first you get one die less) and handle glitches as normal. A normal glitch might just jam something and prevent you from properly disarming the bomb, a critical glitch means the bomb goes off in your face (which probably means you're dead, chunky salsa rule).
    You'll need to fiddle with target numbers a little depending on how much your players optimize their dice pools but it works fine in my experience.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Is this in addition to the Urban Explorer?
    Why Pilot Aircraft v.s. Free Fall on tests?
    Dice penalty applicable only if wing is deployed?
    I do not foresee ever being able carry anyone with a wing suit.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DocShadow View Post
    Is this in addition to the Urban Explorer?
    This is in addition to ANY individual piece of armour. It does, however, eat up to three "Slots" for amrour modification, so you'd be sacrificing three points of, say, Insulation, to get it.

Why Pilot Aircraft v.s. Free Fall on tests?
    One part I-forgot-Free-Fall-was-a-thing, two parts "You're actually piloting the suit like a hang-glider and why would a hang-glider be Free Fall"

Dice penalty applicable only if wing is deployed?
    Yes. However, the cheaper model is *always* deployed.

I do not foresee ever being able carry anyone with a wing suit.
    Not while in-flight, no. At least, not without dangling them from one hand like a kitten.
    Rather intentionally so.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

23. - Top - End - #173
    Dwarf in the Playground

I mostly played Shadowrun 3 and I want to start a game with this system BUT, the Matrix part seem sooooo much trouble to learn and play. I've read that 4th, even 5th, kind of got it better.

Question : Could it be hard to downgrade stuff like the Matrix to the 3th edition ?

Another question, not linked to the matrix : What do you think about the rule, in 4th, that put a maximum dice pool depending on the weapon used ?

Another question, same thing : Are 3th pre-generated adventure/campaign, like Wake of the Comet or Survival of the Fittest (and Brainscan, Renraku, etc.) worth it ?

Another question (this one final hehe) : I heard many good thing about Season 3 and 4 of Shadowrun Missions. Could they be difficult to downgrade to 3rd ?

Thanks a lot !

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Okay, so we sat down to make characters for a Shadowrun 5th edition game the other day and the GM basically told me that to be competent in something, I should have a dice pool of around 12. Which to me translates into "if you want to be able to succeed at a skill, you need to have maxed both the skill an and the attribute associated with it". That seems kinda weird, can it really be true that the system is built for this kind of min-maxing/overspecialization?

25. - Top - End - #175

Quote Originally Posted by Driderman View Post
    Okay, so we sat down to make characters for a Shadowrun 5th edition game the other day and the GM basically told me that to be competent in something, I should have a dice pool of around 12. Which to me translates into "if you want to be able to succeed at a skill, you need to have maxed both the skill an and the attribute associated with it". That seems kinda weird, can it really be true that the system is built for this kind of min-maxing/overspecialization?
    Yes and no, you don't need to max both to get 12, but the system does reward specialization.
    -Snow White

26. - Top - End - #176

Quote Originally Posted by Driderman View Post
    To a certain degree, yes. Shadowrun is a game about a group of professional criminals, who tend to be highly specialized. In SR5, Limits put a bit of a... well, limit to the amount of ridiculous over-specialization that was pretty common in earlier editions, but in general, in SR, you play someone who will be paid a lot of money to do a specific job, so you should be able to do that job well.

I think the main problem here is the definition of the word "competent", if you mean by competent to have a reasonable chance to succeed in average (or somewhat difficult) tasks, then of course you don't need 12 dice. Your GM was probably thinking about a pretty difficult task under less than ideal circumstances where failure isn't really an option (which is a pretty usual situation to come up during a SR adventure), so you want to have more than a "reasonable" chance of success to be considered "competent" in that situation.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ettin in the Playground

A competent criminal will hotwire a car in less than a minute.

A competent runner will bypass the security and IFF software of a military helicopter in under thirty seconds, while being shot at.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I need to learn some Sixth World culture and history, what books should I look into?

29. - Top - End - #179

Shadowtalk is great on culture, though a bit outdated for the current edition. For History there is, of course, the Almanac.
    The Cranky Gamer

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Responses are appreciated, although it seems we're starting "from the ground up", so to speak, as we started with a scenario that basically involved retrieving a kidnapped girl from some local mobsters, for a whopping 500 Nuyen per Runner payout