Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Closed are the Gates of Heaven 1c (AdEva, OOC)

This is the out-of-character thread of the solo game between CrimsonKnight and myself.

Mechanical Information (Sixteen Questions and FAQ):
    Spoiler
    Show

Expectations:
    1. Be courteous to others, and follow the ToS. This goes without saying.
    2. Please be literate with your posts. If you can reasonably respond to another person with a one-liner, and writing more would only bog things down, then there is no problem with doing so. A common example of this might be combat, but even then melodramatic narration occasionally has a place. Otherwise, writing very short posts can leave other players at a loss when they have to write reactions.
    3. Players need to either have watched the Evangelion TV series, or else not mind spoilers. Other references and inspiration may also be taken from End of Evangelion or Rebuild. I do not profess to own any of these media.
    4. If you are going to apply, please commit yourself to the end. One player dropping out can destroy an otherwise successful game.
    5. On that note, players will be expected to post reasonably often, at least every once in three days. More would be appreciated. Players will be messaged by the end of the fourth day, and if by the end of the fifth day no post or explanation has been given, I will fill in as best I can based on my understanding of the character. If you know ahead of time that you are going to have problems with this pace, please message me beforehand.
    6. My word as GM is final. If you have a problem with anything that happens, you are free to appeal, but I am not obligated to rescind any ruling. Please do not think that I am trying to be mean. I will try to the best of my ability to keep the game fun for everyone.

Sixteen Questions
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
    Dark Heresy

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
    Adeptus Evangelion, set in the near future in a world similar to that established in the TV series.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
    This game specifically is a solo game between CrimsonKnight and myself.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
    PbP here on GitP.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
    See the variant rule catalog below; character creation has been radically overhauled.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
    Not applicable. If there is an item that a character wants/needs and could reasonably obtain directly or indirectly through Nerv operatives, it will be granted as dramatically appropriate.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
    The only Career will be the one CrimsonKnight chooses. Homebrew suggestions are welcome.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
    The standard four backgrounds are allowed, but alterations may be proposed. If suitable, such changes will be permitted.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
    Again, see the rule catalog.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
    There are no character alignments provided in the system. I do expect, however, that there be consistency in the characters' actions, barring extraordinary circumstances (I'm looking at you, Arael).

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
    Generally no, but I may be persuaded otherwise if a good case is made. It would be handled on a case by case basis.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
    Players will roll dice for appropriate actions when needed in this thread. This is so that the players will not need to post twice to take an action, and then describe its aftermath. It also keeps the posts a little cleaner.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
    These are extensive, and will be described in their own spoiler tag. In addition, suggestions are welcome.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
    I am looking for thorough (though not necessarily lengthy) backgrounds that give me a proper sense of who the characters are. Particularly well-written backgrounds will receive a small experience reward.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
    Roleplaying and combat will be a large part of the game, but there may be some puzzle solving to resolve plot elements. Nothing too difficult.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?I have decided to use Borderline 1.19 as the basis for this game, with select references to AdEva v2.5. Mind also the errata for these documents, and those of Dark Heresy itself. Here is a collection of pertinent resources players may find useful.

FAQ:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Q: What happened to the canon cast? Dead, cast adrift in the bureaucratic shuffle, never born in this strange alternate universe?
    A: The second comes closest to what I had in mind. There may well be a Shinji Ikari and a Misato Katsuragi and all the rest, but they will not be interacting with the story in any major way.

Q: Why has the southern hemisphere been evacuated?
    A: The near-constant expansion of the Torre del Cielo terrified the majority of the human population. Eventually, the UN mandated immigration into the northern countries. There are still pockets of people scattered about in the south, but they are neither supported nor protected by the UN or any of its members.

Q: Do pilots receive standard issue firearms?
    A: Anything on the personal scale will be provided as necessary, or denied as dramatically appropriate.

Q: How is Chile able to support a base, financially?
    A: Largely through the U.N., because there is no other substantial presence in Chile other than Nerv.

Q: How many resources were pulled from the other Nerv branches to support the one in Chile?
    A: There are no Evas present in any of the other Nerv branches, and the Chile complex is more or less a dedicated Evangelion workshop in and of itself. The other branches are assigned to research, and only given resources to that end.

Q: Where are the Evas made?
    A: Presumably the active Evas were built either in Chile itself or shipped from the pilots' home countries.

History:
    Spoiler
    Show
    In the first year of 21st century, mankind discovered an existence close to that which could be called God. Slumbering beneath Antarctica, the being named Adam was subjected to a number of experiments, all in the name of Man's own hubris. Ultimately, Adam would awaken and strike back against its tormentors, self-destructing in the process. The ensuing calamity, known as Second Impact, left the Earth scarred. Between direct casualties and the war that followed, over half of the world's population died, and thousands of plant and animal species were lost forever. The Earth's axis itself was shifted by the explosion - there were no more seasons, and climates underwent drastic change. Down at the South Pole, the ice continent was no more, replaced by a true Dead Sea where not even microbial life could survive.

Of course, the public knew nothing of what had actually transpired. The official lie was that the explosion had been caused by a meteorite traveling at relativistic speed. In truth, the cataclysm had been engineered to forestall a far worse one. The same shadowy organization also possessed knowledge that Adam was the first of its kind, but not the last, and so made preparations for the arrival of its kin.

This is where the scenario deviated from the script. The year 2015 saw not the return of the Angels, but rather a tear in the sky above Antarctica. An aurora more intense than had ever been observed before roared into being over the site of the ill-fated Katsuragi Expedition, visible with the naked eye as far north as Buenos Aires. The light it poured forth was nothing that belonged in this world. In the weeks following, there was still no sign of Angels, but the aurora was far from inactive. Every so often, a lightning bolt would lance down from deep within its writhing lights, only to freeze into solid crystal when it hit the water. By the time that a new branch of Nerv was activated in Chile, there were enough of the resplendent crystal columns arrayed in beautiful panoply that the locals were calling the resulting tower the Torre del Cielo, the Tower of Heaven.

The year is now 2017, two years past the Angels' expected arrival. In this short span, a worldwide northward migration has left only Nerv and its associates operating in the lower southern hemisphere. This has the dubious benefit of removing innocent civilians from the impending crossfire. Meanwhile, the Torre del Cielo has grown to become something of a fortress - initial attempts to break down the walls were met with failure. It continues growing daily, though it has yet to approach the sheer size of the former ice continent. Only the Evangelion superweapons are expected to have the power to break through, though the higher-ups of Project E believe that this feat still remains in the distant future. It has fallen to Nerv Chile to serve as the first line of defense against the encroaching crystal wall, and against anything that might come forth from it.
    This section will be edited as necessary following pivotal in-game events.

Current Roster:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler: First Children: Manufactured Skirmisher Emma Fitzgerald
    Show

Character Sheet
    Player: CrimsonKnight
    Pilot Status: Alive
    Evangelion Status: Green

Variant Rules Currently in Play:
    Spoiler
    Show

This list is subject to change as the game goes on.

There is an extensive catalog of additional variant rules, found here, that was developed in an attempt to make the game viable for a solo player.
    From Borderline:
    • All-Out Attack Rebalance
    • Condensed Skills
    • Knife Fighting
    • Point Buy Character Creation
    • Terminal Insanity Burn
    • Variable Called Shots

Others:

Common Language: All characters are assumed to know a common language, or else have an interpreter on hand. Characters that have the option to gain Languages at creation (e.g. Prodigies and Operations Directors) must instead choose Common Lore(s). This also precludes the International asset.

Critical Success/Failure: A roll of 1 or 100 will have additional mechanical repercussions in or against the player's favor, respectively.

Operations Director Initiative: Operations Directors, given their remote position, significant support and ability to observe the action on a wide-scale, do not need to roll Initiative. They may use their Actions as they please during any point in a Round, to react as needed to changes in the battlefield. This does not grant the OD extra Turns or more Actions; they are simply more free in how they choose to use them.

Right Tool for the Job: With the nature of the enemy unknown, Nerv Chile was furnished with additional Letter-Type Equipment. There are no fewer than four sets of B-Type, and one each of A, C, D, and even E. Any further Equipment must be purchased as needed.

Rude Awakening: Whenever an Evangelion successfully Berserks, it is automatically placed next in the turn order.

Shock & Awe: When Angelic Fear/Angelic Shock is triggered, use AdEva 2.5's table and rules for determining results, as Borderline lacks these.

Sound Constitution: Characters, including both pilots and Operations Directors, receive the Sound Constitution talent for free upon rank increases. This does include Rank One. Sound Constitution cannot be purchased again for any other reason, except at Rank Six where additional purchases may be made as normal. This talent is already provided for in each of the career progressions, but, with the focus on E-Scale combat, I did not want the players to have to choose between being a little tougher and something else that is arguably more useful. Basically, players save 50 experience each rank up, though this does not contribute to rank progression.

Synch Lock: Effects that boost a Pilot's Synch Category above their default level do not stack. Ergo, Dive Suit and Prototype Evangelions only increase you by one Category total.

Two-Ton Paperweight: Attacking E-Scale inanimate objects like buildings is an Easy (+30) WS or BS Test.

Well-Prepared: Pilots also receive one free BUP, one free SUP, and one free WUP at character creation to be spent or saved as desired. Operations Directors instead receive 200 extra experience, the equivalent of the above, that can be spent at character creation or saved at character creation as desired, but does not count toward rank progression. This represents Nerv's two extra years of preparation.

Known NPCs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler: Dr. Eli Cazada: Head of Project E, Nerv-Chile Division
    Show
    Dr. Eli Cazada tries his best to be a father for the pilots. He truly does care for them, but he will not hesitate to prioritize the big picture over their individual needs. Dr. Cazada will not suffer to be addressed as such except in paperwork and by his superiors, which in practice includes few others besides the Commander and Vice Commander of Nerv-Chile. To everyone else, he is simply Eli. He is a large man, stacked with muscle, with a laugh that can be easily identified and heard from across the room. His chipper attitude is grating to some, and endearing to others.

Spoiler: Victor Lonell: Vice Commander of Nerv-Chile
    Show
    Dry, intimidating, unforgiving. These words and a few others are the first that come to mind when Nerv employees are asked about their Vice Commander. Some are more expletive than others, but these are never more than whispered, and even then only in the most secure and private settings. Lonell's 6'4" height is emphasized all the more by his thin frame and long limbs. He moves with an air of power and perfect control, and those that would try to read him see only what he allows them to.

Spoiler: Amanda Sheridan: Commander of Nerv-Chile
    Show
    Commander Sheridan is to her second-in-command as fire is to ice. She insists on remaining visible to her subordinates and makes an effort to be sociable around them. This sometimes comes off as airheadedness, but her whimsical demeanor belies a mind as cool and calculating as that of the Vice Commander. There is a reason she is the most powerful person in Nerv-Chile, after all.
    Last edited by PalusAbel; 2013-10-11 at 09:12 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Closed are the Gates of Heaven 1c (AdEva, OOC)

Need to update the info. No group here. And I don't know what Google Drive's problem is with updating. Here it is again: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bw1N...it?usp=sharing
    Last edited by CrimsonKnight; 2013-10-10 at 11:40 PM.
    Spoiler: The Crimson Knights
    Show
    Spear Maiden By Kymme

Samurai By MethosH

Evangelion By smuchmuch

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonKnight View Post
    Need to update the info. No group here. And I don't know what Google Drive's problem is with updating. Here it is again: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bw1N...it?usp=sharing
    Yeah, I know. I'll get around to it - I was too lazy to do more than copypasta.

Hmm. That one isn't updated with the changes you mentioned in your last PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Well, according to Google Drive it is updated. Hell if I know what it's problem is.
    Show
    Spear Maiden By Kymme

Samurai By MethosH

Evangelion By smuchmuch

5. - Top - End - #5

Well, according to Google Drive it is updated. Hell if I know what it's problem is.
    Well, it seems to be fine now. I guess there was a lag or something.
    • I like the Twin Weapon Wielder refluff. Good job.
    • Your War Gauntlet still refers to different places in the melee weapon and structural upgrade section.
    • I'd like your input on what to buy for the city. Before that, since almost every Surplus purchase ends in a 5 or 0, I'm going to increase your base munitions Surplus to 33. That means you still get 30 Surplus for Constructions.
    • On that note, B-Type Equipment should be bumped down to 1, Fate set at 3, and Conditional Fate at 1.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Do Turret Package Upgrades stack with each other? And how will Techless affect costs?
    Show
    Spear Maiden By Kymme

Samurai By MethosH

Evangelion By smuchmuch

7. - Top - End - #7

Do Turret Package Upgrades stack with each other? And how will Techless affect costs?
    Yes, they stack. Turrets of each purchased variety are assumed to be scattered throughout the battery. Since Turrets are rather inefficient compared to Evangelions, there will be no price increase for any tech-dependent Turret upgrades. For that matter, all Constructions can be purchased at normal price.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Hmm... then I'll purchase the Magi Database, Turrets x2, and the Positron Package.
    Show
    Spear Maiden By Kymme

Samurai By MethosH

Evangelion By smuchmuch

9. - Top - End - #9

Hmm... then I'll purchase the Magi Database, Turrets x2, and the Positron Package.
    Approved. Make the changes to the sheet. I think that about does it. I'll put up the IC thread later today. It's time for me to go to bed. Thanks for being so patient. I hope this game goes well.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

No problem. Also, I can't count (or read, AGAIN). MAGI Database is 30 surplus, not 10 (where did I get THAT from?), so I'll just blow the construction budget on that (seeing as it should pay itself back in no time with all that extra research surplus). No turrets to start with, but two turrets won't be all that useful anyways.
    Show
    Spear Maiden By Kymme

Samurai By MethosH

Evangelion By smuchmuch

11. - Top - End - #11

No problem. Also, I can't count (or read, AGAIN). MAGI Database is 30 surplus, not 10 (where did I get THAT from?), so I'll just blow the construction budget on that (seeing as it should pay itself back in no time with all that extra research surplus). No turrets to start with, but two turrets won't be all that useful anyways.
    I veto the price increase. Take those other purchases.

12. - Top - End - #12

And voila, our IC thread. The first order of business is to see how effective Fenrir is against an Angel. I'm going to be lazy and just pull Bardiel right out of the Cruel Thesis box with minor modifications. Based on the statlines in that book, the real dangers that Fenrir faces are against the endgame Angels, whom Bardiel arguably ranks among. It would make sense for Nerv to think up this kind of Angel - it's basically just a buffed Evangelion. You do not need to worry about Angelic Fear or Ego Damage.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Sorry for the delay, but I felt posting in the group games should take priority over the solo one, and as you could see, I had a LONG post planned out what with the flashback and all.
    Show
    Spear Maiden By Kymme

Samurai By MethosH

Evangelion By smuchmuch

14. - Top - End - #14

Oh wow. Yes, I agree with what you're saying. But wow, that's quite a lot. Time to buckle down and read it. I have a feeling this game is going to be awesome.

Edit: I have to give you major props. That intro was the best I could ever ask for. You beautifully introduced new elements to the world I had set up, and roleplayed the NPCs perfectly. The Seawall Perimeter Transit Network is definitely going to become canon for the other games, and I definitely want to have Vice Commander Lonell threaten to have someone shot at some point in the future. Bravo.
    Last edited by PalusAbel; 2013-10-14 at 10:15 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

A bit of a large read, isn't it? Yeah, that road network was a necessity if Emma is to get her motorcycle groove on. What was the alternative, having her drive in circles on Cape Horn? And this is NERV we're talking about. They have a major hard-on for giant underground structures, and since their complex stretches throughout the many islands of Tierra Del Fuego, it'd only make sense they have the transit network to go with it. Hell, that was just the perimeter roads. I'm sure their main transit route has a fullsized highway and rail lines. Plus there's EVA deployment, moving all those Conventional Forces tanks around, and so on.

As for Lonell? Hell, after the way he was being a d*** to Ty and in general, I'm pretty sure he could just about anything without losing any sleep over it. Basically Fuyutsuki... without any moral compassion... and is a total d*** to everyone. Just because.

Anyway, glad you liked it so much, it was a blast to write (as all my posts are in this game in general).
    Last edited by CrimsonKnight; 2013-10-14 at 11:41 PM.
    Show
    Spear Maiden By Kymme

Samurai By MethosH

Evangelion By smuchmuch

16. - Top - End - #16

Your analysis is spot on. I quite like the tone you've set for this game, and for the others, too. I'm really glad that you're so invested in my stories. I look forward to all the magic that lies ahead.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Incidentally, if you want more help fleshing out the installation and/or other potential settings, I'd be happy to assist.
    Show
    Spear Maiden By Kymme

Samurai By MethosH

Evangelion By smuchmuch

18. - Top - End - #18

I'd appreciate whatever assistance you can give me. I don't have anything particular in mind at the moment.

I'm working on an IC post now. Should be up soon. Sorry for the delay.

Edit: IC post is up. Also, I noticed an error in your sheet. Don't worry, fixing it is in your favor. You paid twice to Harden your Core Knives. Remember that there is a variant rule in play that allows one upgrade to apply to all weapons of the same model. A Core Knife is a Core Knife, so take back 1 WUP.
    Last edited by PalusAbel; 2013-10-15 at 10:15 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Oh right. Guess I'll find something else to spend that on... okay, swapping War Gauntlet's Hardened for Gyro-Stabilized. Oh, also, am I starting the match with a spread field?
    Show
    Spear Maiden By Kymme

Samurai By MethosH

Evangelion By smuchmuch

20. - Top - End - #20

Oh right. Guess I'll find something else to spend that on... okay, swapping War Gauntlet's Hardened for Gyro-Stabilized. Oh, also, am I starting the match with a spread field?
    As if you need +5 WS. And yes, you start with a fully spread field.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

Ah, where do you want me to roll? Here, or in the same thread as the other games? Might freak people out a little when they start seeing my absurdly high modifiers.

I'll go ahead and roll here this time so I can get my post up.

Melee Attack (War Gauntlet)
    70 + 5 (Gyro-Stabilized) = TN 75
    (1d100)[98]

Damage
    (1d10+2)[3]

Progressive Reroll (If less than 5]
    (1d10+2)[11]

Corrosive Damage
    (1d5+1)[6]
    Show
    Spear Maiden By Kymme

Samurai By MethosH

Evangelion By smuchmuch

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Spending a Fate Point to reroll Attack
    (1d100)[62]
    Show
    Spear Maiden By Kymme

Samurai By MethosH

Evangelion By smuchmuch

23. - Top - End - #23

You can roll here, that's fine. The only difference between here and the dice rolling thread is that posts over there can't be edited or deleted. I trust you to not do any of that.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Not sure you can edit rolls anyway. Or can you?
    Roll Test for Trustworthiness:

EDIT: Aha, see, it tells you you're being a bad little player if you delete rolls. Thought so.

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by CrimsonKnight; 2013-10-18 at 12:00 AM.
    Show
    Spear Maiden By Kymme

Samurai By MethosH

Evangelion By smuchmuch

25. - Top - End - #25

Aha. So there's really no problem after all. No worries, then. Rolling for parry. I'm going be secretive and not tell you the target number or any of the modifiers.

(d100)[65]

26. - Top - End - #26

Rolling for a Grapple. The Angel takes an Aim action first.

(d100)[40]

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

So a 65 does parry. WS must be in the 60s (including that aim bonus)... at least. Anyway

Parry (It's slightly higher than Dodge, actually), TN 80

(1d100)[1]

EDIT: OOoh, a Critical Success on the Parry. Does that mean I get to unbalance him somehow or knock him on his ass?
    Last edited by CrimsonKnight; 2013-10-18 at 01:01 AM.
    Show
    Spear Maiden By Kymme

Samurai By MethosH

Evangelion By smuchmuch

28. - Top - End - #28

Seriously? What the heck? Well, yeah, something like that. Let's say that the Angel has been knocked Prone somehow. Maybe it overextended, maybe Fenrir dragged it down, whatever you like. Just as long as you account for it in your write-up.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Okay, here we go! Steel Typhoon!

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Type-20x Positron Rifle
    Attack: 70 + 10 (Prone Target) + 30 (Point Blank) - 30 (All Attack) + 5 (Digital Sights) = TN 85
    (1d100)[40]
    Damage
    (3d10)[27]

Proto-20 Positron Rifle
    Attack: 70 + 10 (Prone Target) + 30 (Point Blank) - 30 (All Attack) + 5 (Digital Sights) = TN 85
    (1d100)[66]
    Damage
    (2d10)[9]

War Gauntlet
    Attack: 70 + 10 (Prone Target) + 5 (Gyro-Stabilized) -30 (All Attack) = TN 55
    (1d100)[88]
    Damage
    (1d10+2)[9]
    Progressive Reroll
    (1d10+2)[5]

Claws
    Attack: 70 + 10 (Prone Target) - 30 (All Attack) = TN 50
    Damage
    (1d10+5)[15]

Core Knife 1
    Attack: 70 +10 (Prone Target) - 30 (All Attack) = TN 50
    Damage
    (1d5+6)[7]
    Progressive Reroll
    (1d6+5)[6]

Core Knife 2
    Attack: 70 +10 (Prone Target) - 30 (All Attack) = TN 50
    Damage
    (1d5+6)[10]
    Progressive Reroll
    (1d5+6)[7]

Don't forget that the Angel's WS/BS Test, including Parrying, also get a -10 penalty from being Prone, and Dodge gets a -20.
    Last edited by CrimsonKnight; 2013-10-18 at 02:35 AM.
    Show
    Spear Maiden By Kymme

Samurai By MethosH

Evangelion By smuchmuch

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Um... heh. Forgot three of my attack rolls there.
    Claws
    (1d100)[62]
    Core Knife 1
    (1d100)[88]
    Core Knife 2
    (1d100)[9]

Also spending a Fate point to reroll War Gauntlet's attack roll
    (1d100)[38]
    Show
    Spear Maiden By Kymme

Samurai By MethosH