New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: War of the Final Whisper [IC]

The sergeant listens through Alstroemeria's lecture patiently, though occasionally glancing towards Velion with a look of mild concern, seemingly measuring his reaction.
    "Good points, ma'am, and I'll answer them in a moment. But first I must listen to the response of my superior officer."

With that, he turns his attention towards Velion.
    "Well, sir?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Velion would be aware that Alstroemeria speaking at length before the officer being addressed (in this case, himself) could respond would be relatively offensive and disrespectful. Andoran military courtesy dictates subordinates provide their information to a group of officers, and the officers respond in order of seniority.

Alstroemeria's behavior in this instance would be the equivalent of an aide cutting off a superior before they could respond or defer, effectively disregarding their superior's rank.

It seems the sergeant isn't offended himself, and aware that Alstroemeria probably isn't aware of the protocol, but it still worried as to the offense Velion might be taking.

Everyone else can figure this out as well through either a DC 20 Knowledge (Nobility), or a DC 15 Sense Motive. Though the sense motive check wouldn't reveal WHY this was considered offensive.
    Last edited by Thrair; 2014-03-09 at 04:33 PM.

2. - Top - End - #92

Velion replies slightly sharply "Yes, thank you, professor." He gives the sergeant a look that says "Civilians, what can you do?"

He then turns to the sergeant, "I do not intent for us to stay, for a number of reasons. First, I am not in your branch and therefore do not believe that I could lead your men any better than you. Second, my orders were to investigate the situation, enough irregularities have arisen that I cannot consider that task complete. Finally, as you said, my companions' presence will foster strife in your camp."

"With this in mind, I intend to leave shortly with Olin. The recent rain should make tracking these golems easy and hopefully we can find their point of origin."

Turning to Alstromeria, he says "We will be leaving shortly, use this time to finish your investigation of the golem. Please restrain yourself from the distraction of attempting to educate us all."

He then walks over to Olin and says "I could use your aid in tracking these golems, could you be ready to leave shortly?" That last also addressed to Sekla.

Once all this information is conveyed, he asks the Sergeant "It has been a while since I walked my native soil, what were these new regulations you spoke of?"
    Last edited by TiaC; 2014-03-11 at 01:36 AM.

3. - Top - End - #93

SwashbucklerGuy

Hearing Velion's initial reply, the sergeant nodded.
    "Very good, sir. And while you might not formally be part of our command structure, we'd welcome an officer with your experience. Olin speaks highly of you, and we've learned to trust his feelings, if not always his judgement. Though I ask you to hurry with your investigation. We're undermanned as is, without losing Olin, as well."

Turning to Alstroemeria, he continued.
    "Which leads into my response to you, ma'am. By all rights, we should be dead. Three golems would be more than a match for an entire legion. A patrol group like us.... we shouldn't have been able to survive without routing. Instead, once we arrived on-scene, two simply left, and the third barreled into us and practically let the critters bring it down. And since then, patrols have seen no sign of the remaining two."

"Normally, Chelsh golems back off when faced with Rust Monsters and allow support to clear a path. If that's not an option, they prioritize killing the creatures, first. And they certainly would not split up, like that. So yes, this whole attack was very unusual. But it's above my pay-grade. Which is, I figure, why the Lieutenant here was brought in."

As the rest of the group confers with the sergeant, Olin spots Hurin next to Sekla and tries to strike up conversion.
    "Hey, little one! Don't let the boss over there shake ya up. Only hicks are mad at you just 'cuz of whatcha are. Some of my best friends are part-stuff. And Hurin seems ta like ya, so... good to meet ya!"
    At this point, he's going to extend a hand in greeting, which, by the way, could probably fit Sekla's entire arm. (Dude's rather big. Just shy of Large size.)

Sekla and he will have some time to chat before Velion wanders over, but when he does, Olin tilts his head before replying.
    "Yah. S'pose I could. Looking forward to seeing you crush that ones that got away. Sound good, Hurin?"
    The dog barks in an affectionate tone, in reply.
    "Ready whenever, Tenant!"

When Velion returns the sergeant, he seems to be looking over papers and surveying the ongoing camp preparation.
    "Sir. Ah. Haven't heard? New laws are being enacted by the parliament. Mostly limits on the freedoms of non-citizens and "exotics". Half-orcs, Ratfolk, Catfolk, Hobgoblins, Gnomes. Pretty much anyone who isn't Human or Elven. Supposedly it's to limit spying on behalf of Cheliax, but that's just a front."

"Like I said, nasty business. Speaking freely, here, because I get a good sense of your character, but I find this whole reminds me of my childhood tutoring on Chelish history. Starts out with the sorts most people already don't like. Then the ones without the power to push back against the laws. Before long, everyone's lost their rights."

Looking over at Olin briefly, he looks back at Velion.
    "Olin said you were a Thornsen, if I recall. Your family has some pull. But, if I may be honest, they're likely to be in that middle group. Lot of people see Tieflings and assume they're Chelish sympathizers. Never mind those of us that know better. Tieflings are treated worse over there, than here."
    *sighs*
    "Again. Nasty business. I honestly am, to some degree, hoping for war to break back out. Get back to fighting the real enemy and not ourselves. And perhaps if we can beat them, parliament won't feel the need for these sorts of laws."

Show
    Damn the forum lag's been bad, lately. Took me ages to get this up.

Oh. And you might have noticed, but I'll point it out: Andoran in the Pathfinder lore is kind of like a cross between the Roman Empire and the British Empire. It's odd, but I'm running with it. Although I'm not going to bother with a "Funetik accent". :P

Side note: While the hell is a synonym for "tilt" that rhymes with "rocks" censored? There are WAY more offensive words. Bastards. Had to edit the description of Olin because of that.
    Last edited by Thrair; 2014-03-11 at 04:12 PM.

4. - Top - End - #94

DrowGirl

Sekla had mostly been wandering around the camp with the dog, occasionally petting and playing with it. She blinked up at Olin, taking in his large size for a moment before reaching out a much smaller and furred hand.

"Sekla Bloodthirst. I'm a Paladin... one that should really be keeping her ear to the ground. I can't really blame them for being mad at my people... I'm just surprised about the Hobgoblin activity. I had thought the dwarves delt the Bloodthirst Clan a fatal blow years ago."

5. - Top - End - #95

SwashbucklerGuy

"Heh, yah. Most everyone thought that, too. But I guess they kinda sided with Cheliax durin' the war an' all. Maybe not all official, mind. But gave 'em a leg up just the same. 'Swhy so many people are pissed off. Hurin likes ya, though. And that's good enough for me. Ain't that right, buddy?"
    At this point, Olin stops for a moment to wrap his dog in a bear hug (it appears to be warily trying to avoid being crushed, and has a look akin to a cat being dressed up by it's owners).
    "How'd ya end up being a Paladin, anyways? It's kinda strange to see."

6. - Top - End - #96

DrowGirl

"Bloodthirst assisting Cheliax... huh... I guess they're pretty desperate I guess." She couldn't help but giggle as the poor dog was picked up in a hug. At the mention of her becoming a Paladin she frowned a bit.

"Well... it started when the dwarves attacked Bloodthirst's main encampment, my home. I was... young, but not enough that I didn't know the feel of the lash. Hobgoblins are... harsh, and disciplined. During the attack I was checking up on the slaves... they were an essential part of our society but I still hated the way they were treated. I was a bit... different, and she probably knew it." She shifted a bit where she stood, taking out her helmet and fidgeting with it a little.

"I... naturally channel positive energy. When I touch someone who's injured... well, they don't heal up, but their wounds close, dying people stabilize. But anyway, that's where I saw her, a dwarven Paladin... she seemed unstoppable, wading through the battle. She, ah... killed my father, my older brothers... mother too... spared me though. The worst and greatest day of my life..."

"It wasn't till months after that my... abilities started to develop. I became obsessed with dwarves, studying them, learning their language, food, religion, weapons..."
    She gestured to her dwarven axe.

"And I've been looking for her, that Paladin... I don't know what I'm going to do when I find her... but I know I have to see her."

7. - Top - End - #97

SwashbucklerGuy

The axe speaks to Sekla telepathically, at this point. More lucid than it's been prior. It's not addressing Sekla directly (indeed, it seems rather lost in thought), but it does seem to be aware of her presence. But it's a definite improvement . Since Sekla channeled energy into it, it's been giving off a faint warmth, as a distant campfire.
    "I miss Jevin most of all, in some ways. Few gnomes take to our order. Yet he did, and with the enthusiasm characteristic of his kind. He had a particular love of prophecy, transcribing and memorizing any small scrap or tidbit, thereof. I expect his journal probably had a greater collection than most holy books."
    At this point, the warmth recedes, and it begins descending back into it's depressed and fey mood.
    "But that book is gone, now. As faint a memory as it's owner. All ruined, drained of life. Such is our lot. So little we gain."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alstroemeria and Velion would both be aware that that lack of response to this outpost's sacking is somewhat odd. Normally a signal flare of some kind is sent up promptly in event of an attack. This is common to both sides. Typically in the form of a wand, spell, or alchemical firework. For whatever reason, no signal appears to have been sent.

Alstroemeria would further be aware that, given the bodies are between 3 and 5 days old, it's likely they're overdue to report.

Show
    Makes searches as you see fit, gents. There's still plenty of things to investigate. I'll label the map so you have a frame of reference.
    Last edited by Thrair; 2014-03-16 at 05:14 PM.

8. - Top - End - #98

Devil

"This outpost is likely overdue to report," Alstroemeria tells the others. "We may encounter patrols investigating what happened to them. The timing isn't likely to coincide with our visit, but we should be cautious nonetheless. And... be careful disturbing things. Our scrying friends might have left some alarm spell to notify them when this massacre was found. I think it would be best if we did not attract their attention more than we have already."
    I'm not an evil GM! Honest!

9. - Top - End - #99

Devil

OOC: Because the IC thread looks like Swiss Cheese..... this is occurring after the attack by the assassins and the Torment Lord, right when we've concluded the interrogation scene.

IC: Alstroemeria considered the prisoners for a moment more, before addressing the guards. "I believe that Lady Samiya will wish to question these assassins personally. I shall go report to her at once. It would be best if they remain reasonably intact until then." Then, to Sekla and Vellion: "I shall still wish to discuss matters which I have discovered with Serina, this evening, time permitting, if she is strong enough for it. And Vellion, time permitting, I would still wish access to your spellbook." This is just formality; she's already gotten permission, but she's coming as close as she does to apologizing for the schedule being screwed up.

That done, she goes as directly to Lady Samiya's study as the various handlers and secretaries allow. If stopped, she shall inform whichever functionary does the stopping that the matter is of great importance.
    Last edited by Reltzik; 2014-05-17 at 08:19 PM.

10. - Top - End - #100

SwashbucklerGuy

The guards nod dutifully to Alstromeria, but inform the assembled party that she in currently engaged in trade discussions with fellow merchants and travelers from the far south. They say she is due back in the early morning, but her senior captain is available, and awaiting your reports. He also wishes to speak to you regarding the more sensitive captive.

11. - Top - End - #101

Devil

Alstroemeria's head droops slightly to hear that Lady Samiya had departed, but it would not be reasonable to assume that the ruler of the city was at the beck and call of her hired help every hour of every day.

And then her head whips up at the next few words.

"From the South?" she demands. "Is there an Absalom presence at these negotiations?"

12. - Top - End - #102

SwashbucklerGuy

The old guard shakes his head.
    "It is doubtful. From that region, there is nothing remaining but tensions and mistrust. I believe they may be from her former homeland. I hope she returns soon, she has other guests waiting to speak to her, and it appears urgent."

13. - Top - End - #103

Devil

Alstroemeria relaxes slightly. "My apologies. I believed it possible she was in danger. Yes, let us report to the Captain at his earliest convenience."

14. - Top - End - #104

SwashbucklerGuy

The party is ushered into the hallway in front of the secured room holding the captive general. In front of it is the captain of Lady Samiya's guard. He looks somewhat irritated to see Alstromeria, but quickly shoves that aside.
    "It's fortunate you've arrived. The prisoner's condition is failing rapidly. The damnable stone began to glow the morning before last, and since then, his life force has started to falter. The healers are doing what they can, but whatever is imbedded within him is a potent evil. One of the magisters tried to divine it's nature and was rendered comatose for several hours. When he awoke, he began screaming of ill visions. None have been brave enough to try, since. I was hoping you might prove to have sufficient mastery to overcome whatever evil it contains. Do hurry, at the rate he weakens, he will be lucky to see the new moon."

Show
    The new moon will be in about 4 days.

15. - Top - End - #105

SwashbucklerGuy

Show
    If you'd rather not deal with this in PbP due to loss of speed, just holler in the OOC.

*Don't ask me how telepathy can be a whisper. I got nuthin'. But hey, it's a trope, so...

As Sekla's active little minions disorder/fortify the house, there's a knock on the door, and an elderly woman's voice calls out, asking to speak to the Dwarf-Friend.

There is a faint hum from Serina, and she voices a telepathic "whisper"*.
    "I know that voice.... she... she would have died with the others had she not fled.... Cowardly, yet wise, in the end. Spared a torment shared alike of good and evil souls."
    Serina has been increasingly lucid, but is clearly still somewhat peculiar.
    Last edited by Thrair; 2014-06-01 at 10:40 PM.

16. - Top - End - #106

DrowGirl

Sekla blinked as the sound of an old woman's voice, preparing herself for some trap before she heard Serina speak to her. She relaxed, but put on her helmet as she approached the door.

~So she's someone you know? First assassins coming after us, then someone you know, who knows you're here probably.~ She thought back as she stopped at the door, reaching out to open it a bit and look around.
    Last edited by Zerkai; 2014-06-07 at 11:21 AM.

17. - Top - End - #107

SwashbucklerGuy

When the door opens, Sekla is readily able to see a very old woman in fairly ornate robes. Robes that are quite noticeably torn and stained in places with what seems like blood. Underneath, it appears the wounds have been healed, but from the look of the damage to the clothing, it was quite recent.

She's fairly tall, frail with age, but has piercing eyes, and her hair is still vibrant blonde, despite her age. Upon seeing Sekla, she starts minutely, then begins to speak in rapid tones.
    "You are Sekla, the Dwarf-Friend, correct? I must speak with you. Word has reached my order of your group's efforts, and I have come to aid you and enlighten you, for you do not know with which you deal. May I enter? I do not wish to linger on the streets."

Show
    Roll me a Knowledge (Religion) and Knowledge (Planes). Either in the forum feature or over roll20, your choice. And holler when ya post so I can jump back and reply.
    *EDIT* Updated with the results of your rolls.

She has a holy symbol of Pharasma, the Goddess of Life, Death, Rebirth, and Fate/Prophecy.
    Last edited by Thrair; 2014-06-07 at 02:08 PM.

18. - Top - End - #108

DrowGirl

Sekla blinked as she looked over the elderly woman, expression unreadable behind her helmet.

"Um... Yes, I am Sekla. Of course you can come in, just, uh... mind the mess, the little ones are-" She paused for a moment, looking her over again as she opened the door wider to let her in.

"Are you the one that was hanging outside of my home earlier?"

19. - Top - End - #109

SwashbucklerGuy

At the mention of someone lurking outside Sekla's house, she turns around quickly and eyes the area with suspicion, before turning back to Sekla.
    ... No. It was not I. And it makes me less keen to remain outside. Let us enter, then.

As she enters, she seems to ignore the mess entirely, and gives only a cursory glance to the children before finding an untossled chair to sit on.
    "I'm sure you have noticed my injuries. I come from a battle to the north. One I believe you were near, if the mephit is to be believed. If so, you have my thanks. We suffered some losses as it was, but we were able to avoid the worst of it. Most escaped, although some were injured gravely in the fire. The work of a Chelish golem, I think.

In any event, I wish to warn you. I am a cleric of Lady of Graves. Or Pharasma, if you prefer. Since the end of the Age of Enthronement, over a century ago, we have strived to prepare for an attack we are only vaguely sure of. Recent years have confirmed we were wise to do so. There is a cult that has arisen that strives to break this land into death and chaos for some purpose. And many souls have been torn from our Lady's domain. Have you heard of the recent warmongering, and the string of assassinations? Most have. Although fewer are aware that those slain have be unable to be restored to life, or even communicated with from beyond the veil. Surely, you and your allies have investigated this?"
    Last edited by Thrair; 2014-06-07 at 03:35 PM.

20. - Top - End - #110

DrowGirl

"Oh, well... I didn't need to sleep anyway I guess..." She mumbles as she looks around outside before closing the door. walking over to the old woman as she sat on the chair, listening to her words.

"... Yes actually. Fake evidence to provoke full-on war, I've heard of people being unable to be brought back on more than one occasion. We've encountered the cult and traces of it, but the land on the verge of full-on war I haven't had the chance to investigate. As for assassinations, there was an attempt on me and my companions. hours ago."

21. - Top - End - #111

SwashbucklerGuy

As the old woman speaks, Serina glows uncomfortably warm, and the telepathic link conveys an intense scorn, but also a trace of resigned forgiveness.

"Are your allies safe? I must speak with them, also. Our enemy is the daemonic cults, and I think they intend to strike this city, directly. One of them attacked my group openly, and he was extremely dangerous. I fought him directly, and have no small amount of magical strength, yet I still had to flee. He was a champion of Apollyn, the Horseman of Pestilence."

22. - Top - End - #112

DrowGirl

Selka shifts a bit in her armor as she felt hotter from the telepathic link. Just what she needed compounded on fur and full plate.

"I see... my group is recovering, they are fine. I had no armor or shield at the time... now I will be more prepared. And a Champion of Apollyn? I will need to prepare for that as well... Are you suffering from any ailments or diseases? My healing abilities can cure diseases."
    Last edited by Zerkai; 2014-06-07 at 03:22 PM.

23. - Top - End - #113

SwashbucklerGuy

"Yes. There is more I go can over in detail, but I have told you the most pertinent of my warnings. I must return now and tend to my peers injuries. When you are ready to speak with me, hold this aloft and speak aloud "I oppose the rumours, ending". If possible, have your allies ready, as well. And arm and equip yourself, for while I promise no ill intent on our part, I cannot guarantee safety in these troubled times.

She then walks out, leaving the small feather on the table.

24. - Top - End - #114

SwashbucklerGuy

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Show
    Arise, from the grave, IC thread. Gonna make an effort to keep it alive this time.

The Party finds themselves standing near the border of a planar void, where once a Mage's Manor resided. There is an eerie quiet, as even the very air seems hesitant to cross that barrier. Stray fires mark what was left of the garden. A large Storm Giant is striding off with a grim smile. And, perhaps most notably, random assortments of furniture appear to be escaping into the brush.

While it is possible the multi-verse has seen a more atrociously botched peace conference, it is rather unlikely. A faint cough can be heard from the dust mephit largely responsible for the rather abrupt end to the chaos.

The sounds of battle in the distance subside, and horncalls are beginning to blare. For those familiar with Andoran signals, much of the messages seem to indicate alarm and confusion. At the party's side, the remains of Olin's platoon have gathered next to the party, with the Doctor Ilkulin asking for instructions. Loyal Hurin merely stares at the site, moving not an inch.

Shortly thereafter, General Vectus strides up with the remnants of the manor guard, who seem confused, wary, and utterly exhausted.
    "I thank you for my freedom. In payment of this debt, I offer you any assistance I can provide against our common foe. These men here have been puppets to a crime they were not aware of. At least, not in full. I will take responsibility for their actions, if they are granted amnesty."

The Doctor reaches into his robe and produces a small silver pipe, which he promptly begins stuffing with a plant at his feet.
    "Um," whispers a guard, "Are you sure that's smokable?"
    "Nope."
    Last edited by Thrair; 2014-08-02 at 11:57 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115

Velion sighs, reaches out, and smacks Shozin. Then to Alstromeria, "This is why you always watch the imp!" If she tries to correct him on the proper terminology he will cut her off with a raised hand and a glare.

"This is going to be a devil of an after-action report."

He then looks back at the void and seems to swear under his breath.
    Spoiler: Message spell to Alstromeria, in abyssal
    Show
    "Two questions for you. Explain why we should give the devil the Hellstone? And can we trust that your nation won't restart the war if given the stone?"
    Last edited by TiaC; 2014-08-03 at 02:44 AM.

26. - Top - End - #116

SwashbucklerGuy

Shozin's ears twitch in the direction of Velion, but he otherwise occupies himself with the Handy Haversack he wears as a backpack. He appears to be pulling items in and out at random, a slight grin on his face.

27. - Top - End - #117

Devil

Alstroemeria doesn't glare at Shozin. She just gives Shozin a flat, flat look.

Leaving Vellion unanswered for a moment, Alstroemeria turns to Vectus. "General. While this site was neutral ground, we are in Andoran territory, and discussing Andoran citizens in service to the Andoran military. It would fall to the Andoran Senate to grant amnesty, and I fear that with General Isegar's recent maneuverings, the Senate is in little position to grant any such thing. Nor do I suspect that the General would be eager to leave witnesses behind. The best we can offer is sanctuary in Ardellon, a ruler who is eager to hear the information you have to offer and who will use it to bring down this conspiracy, and contact with those in Andoran who are preparing to oppose Isegar's coup. I anticipate that you would be of particular value in support of the Senate. But if you would allow me a moment to consider our present circumstances, please. We might not yet be out of danger. I suggest you organize these men to march south with us, and quickly."

She then turns to look towards the conflict. Under the cover of considering it, she messages back to Vellion.

Spoiler: Message to Vellion, in Abyssal
    Show
    No, we should not give the Hellstone to the pit fiend. That is the wrong faction to support. I should deliver it directly to the Queen. And I must depart quickly to deliver it, before he returns to demand it directly. Neither of us would be able to keep it from him. I would not even try.

I doubt Cheliax would restart the war soon. Even with the Hellstone restored, its forces are in disarray, and the previous conflict's outcome has left the hawks out of power in court. Mistrust that if you will. But what you can trust is that unless the previous stalemate, the previous balance of power, is restored, then war WILL happen, and it will secure a tyrant upon Andoran's new throne. This is the only option for peace, and with Absalom maneuvering to reignite the conflict between our nations, maintaining the peace is essential. Andoran has survived Cheliax with the Hellstone before. Can Andoran survive whatever Absalom is planning, with an Absalom puppet at its head eager to entangle Andoran in a war just before Absalom strikes?
    Last edited by Reltzik; 2014-08-05 at 11:34 AM.

28. - Top - End - #118

SwashbucklerGuy

General Vectus scowls darkly at the mention of Isegar's name, though it eases somewhat as Alstroemeria presents her suggestion.
    "Indeed, Andoran's government has been subverted. It was to Lady Samiya that I wished to appeal. I was painfully aware of my surroundings while ensorcelled by the spellwork of the Cult, and as such know much of the Lady's motivations and methods. I suspect I would have been sent to assassinate her had you not captured me. Good work, that. I could only resist the compulsions very slightly. Though I confess finding the placement of that magic missile rather unwarranted."
    A flash of a grin appears on his face as he looks to Velion, before another horn call in the distance captures his attention.
    "I digress. My newfound mental freedom is somewhat disorienting, perhaps. We can continue this conversation when we are safe, as you say."

With that, he begins giving orders to the Andoran soldiers, mostly in the short-term treatment of injuries that would impair a march, as well as securing packs and what provisions are on hand. His voice is calm, but firm and direct.

Shozin, meanwhile, sighs with apparent resignation and closes the Haversack. He listens to the developing conversation with a sort of vague interest.

Show
    And, just so you know: Gorthoklekk is the Queen's most senior advisor, sent by Asmodeus himself to aid and advise her. While his ultimate goals may be unclear, they are not likely to diverge greatly from the Queen's. Alstroemeria's assessment of the state of Cheliax politics is pretty spot-on, however.
    Last edited by Thrair; 2014-08-06 at 01:57 AM.

29. - Top - End - #119

Velion pulls out his wand of Infernal Healing "I can offer some healing to those who need it. Oh, and I do apologize for my aim during our last meeting." He gives Vectus a sheepish grin. He then assists in the organization for leaving.

Profession (Soldier): (1d20+11)[15]

30. - Top - End - #120

SwashbucklerGuy

Velion is able to coordinate a quick canvas of the area and finds some scattered supplies. Rations are still somewhat short, but will last long enough for a march to Ardellon.