New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Job Interviews in the Playground

Hi people, I was wondering if anybody knows how long one should wait before calling back regarding a phone interview for a job.

The employ is for a job in the field of finances; it's a professional job, relatively junior (2-5 years of experience).

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Job Interviews in the Playground

Depends on the company and how desperate they are for the position to be filled. When I was applying for jobs, the response rates I've noticed range anywhere from a few days to entire months (when the firm isn't entirely certain it wants to hire yet and is just polling to see what sort of applicants they get).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

they should have told you when you should expect to hear from them. The fact that they didn't is rather unprofessional of them, actually.

going blind, I would say 10 business days. if you call and they don't tell you the position has been filled or the like, then ask when you can expect to hear from them.
    If they don't call by that date, give it a couple of days and then try again.

and get the names of the people you're talking to and what they say, you'd be amazed how much a simple name drop helps.

finally, be persistent. if you get stuck in one of those ridiculous holding patterns you're default position is "not gonna get the job". keeping after them can't hurt anything.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

My personal record was an hour and a half interview. However, I told them that I'm not coming before they did

Long time ago my friend lured me to apply for a job in Ireland. They had multiple positions. The brutal thing was that you had to speak one minute in English with the HR before you had the actual interview. My friend was never again contacted after that spoken test, but I got the job. It was hard for me because I wanted to go there with my friend, but then I had to go alone.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm really starting to appreciate Jon Dahl.

Regarding the question, I'd say that you can follow up with them if they don't call back in five business days.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morgarion View Post
    I'm really starting to appreciate Jon Dahl.
    Your sarcastic color is black? How confusing...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

10 business days is pretty good, I'd say. They should be able to make a decision faster than that (at least in my experience), but too much pressure from your side wouldn't be good either.

My sister got one of her internships because of her "friendly yet persistent" calls. At least that's what her boss told her.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Hi people, I was wondering if anybody knows how long one should wait before calling back regarding a phone interview for a job.

The employ is for a job in the field of finances; it's a professional job, relatively junior (2-5 years of experience).
    A very important thing that you must do at the end of each interview, is ASK THIS QUESTION of the interviewer. Well, not in the exact same words, but "so, when approximately can I hear back from you?" is appropriate.

If they say "a week" and a week passed without notification, by all means, call.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

It varies a lot on the needs of the business. I've sometimes gotten calls back for an interview long after I'd forgotten applying for the job. If it's an easy job to get into I wouldn't go more than a week before calling back. If it's a hard job to perform or acquire, they may be interviewing a lot of people, and more than a week is a good idea.
    Revised avatar by Trixie, New avvie by Crisis21!
    Mah Fluffy Death Critters
    Orcs and Goblins
    Behold the Power of Kitteh!
    Backup threads available here

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Depending upon the job, it can take a long time or a short time to hear back. That wait time can be for lots of reasons that have nothing to do with you. One thing that you might want to consider for a one week out contact, rather than a follow up call, is a thank you note. Something like "Thank you for taking the time to interview me on [date]. I really enjoyed meeting you and discussing [something that you talked about during the interview]. I'm very excited about the position, and I hope to hear from you soon."
    [CENTER]So You Wanna Be A DM? A Potentially Helpful Guide
    Truly wonderful avatar made by Cuthalion