New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default The Herald of Fear

CHAPTER 1: To kill a mocking dwarf

Sharn...The city of towers. Walking on the ground would almost be laughable to the dwellers of the city, or so some would think. Within system of towers bridged together lies an enormous diversity of life. With the few years after the war it would almost seem as if Sharn were untouched by the war, and in many ways it was. One of the few places in all Khorvaire that did not participate in solely mass producing weapons of war, Sharn could only grow exponentially.

Before and even during the war it was not common for anyone to carry "traveling papers" and though no spies have been caught since the war, Sharn was on high alert. The cults of the dragon below were spreading like wild fire these past few months, and if not to make matters worse Droaams warlords were said to be banding together if that was at all possible. If Droaam did not put the icing on the cake, then the fleet of ghost ships rumored to be sailing around Breland surely struck fear in all (though it was only a rumor...rumors alone can be a power for the wicked)
    You find yourselves in a long line outside the southern entrance of Sharn, there were only two guards checking papers and it was taking hours.
    There are four more beings in front of you, at the forefront being two hobgoblins most likely from Droaam, as all hobgoblins probably were. They had not had any problems until one of the hobgoblins jokingly mentioned "It's not like we're spies from Droaam or anything, hehehe." The guards instantly demanded they go with one to the prison tower number 17, but they had refused causing a huge argument to ensue between the two groups. In fact two half orcs behind you were betting on the "hobbies" getting killed or arrested.
    Behind the hobgoblins were a couple of knights, notably based on the emblems of their armor of the Silver flame. Thou speaking in a particularly uncommon language.
    Though for Sharn sights like these were not uncommon...if anything was possible, it would be possible in Sharn.

Waiting for this to convene may take hours, though you have already been outside these gates for hours.
    It is now mid-day, ou can see the hustle and bustle of the lower streets of the tower city as the common folk make their way to the tower shops.
    Last edited by mindwarper10; 2013-11-22 at 06:15 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Herald of Fear

Once again, Oswin found himself outside of the the gates of Sharn. He was an unassuming sight. His weathered overcoat and cracked boots were quite worn, they both showed to any untrained observer that he had spent a long time on the road. The coat covered a bandoleer filled with potions, tools and other equipment that revealed Oswin's trade as an Artificer. He was tired from his excursion outside the city, and his empty eye socket throbbed with dull pain. He sighed, the powers in Sharn were usually quite effective at keeping the city running, but their recent paranoia had proven to be quite disruptive. It had been several months since he had moved to Sharn from the Cyrean refugee camps. There had been no opportunity for a man of his talents to grow, and so he with his remaining money he had moved to Sharn to make a future for himself. He finally had some luck when he came into contact with Oliver Finn Atticus, an eccentric man with an even more strange request, to repair a warforged that had come into his family's possession. That was the type of work that Oswin had been looking for, not the trivial tinker chores that he had done in the refugee camps, but the opportunity to work with a complex magical artifact. Furthermore, the job had put him in touch with Oliver's nephew, a bright young man by the name of Stend Eribor. Stend always struck Oswin as being too self-assured for his own good, but he promised Oswin that if he stuck around, Oswin would have the chance to profit from the return of Stend's family to fame and glory. Oswin stuck around, on the account that few other people in Sharn, save for the Dragonmarked houses(that he had little interest in working for) could offer him work as an Artificer. With the addition of the warforged Novelty, the three of them had formed a band that sought out adventure and other odd jobs in the city, all for the dream of making some quick gold. Just recently, the three of them had taken up jobs as guards for a caravan on the way to Wroat. Recent banditry in the King's Forest had prompted local merchants to hire extra muscle to protect their shipments. While on the job, Oswin had met Whiteneck, another warforged hired by the merchants. The two briefly became acquainted when Whiteneck needed Oswin's assistance to repair himself following a skirmish with bandits. Once the job was finished, the four of them returned to Sharn.

Oswin sighed as he saw the Hobgoblins get dragged away by the guards. At this rate, they would be lucky to enter the city before nightfall. Oswin sought out his travelling companions, and started ranting in a quite loud voice. Stend, Novelty, may I suggest that next time we stay within the City? This madness would try the patience of even the dragons themselves. If it takes is bunch of bloody rumors to get this lot so highstrung, I shudder to think what would happen if there was a real threat. They'd probably force us to get papers, stamped in triplicate, just to use the bloody latrine. He grumbles, and in the middle of the waiting crowd he pulls out a wand that the group had taken off the body of a bandit, and a monocle which he places over his good eye. After a while he calls out in an excited voice "I think I got it!" and suddenly, a small projectile pulses out of the wand, strikes his hand and goes rocketing off into the sky. Shouting in pain, he drops the wand and begins cursing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Oswin takes (1d4+1)[3] damage from magic missle misuse
    Last edited by Rofltrollcopter; 2013-11-23 at 08:01 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

A soft but somewhat terrifying growl came from under the multicoloured hood, green eyes glowing softly against the shadows obscuring his face: though created and trained to be patient the grey and white warforged was being tested to his limits today. This was hardly a productive use of his time. He had already checked over all of his tools, was in prime working condition and had sharpened his weapons, much to the dismay of several of the people behind him in line. He was hardly the talkative sort, but there really was no other way to pass the time with Novelty and Oswin. He shifted slightly and adjusted the red scarf around his neck slightly again, keeping the length of cloth exactly the same length hanging down both sides of his chest. "I can only be thankful I'll never have the pleasure of needing a latrine... to me it just seems like a place to stuff more trash or corpses, not anywhere I'd want to be for ten minutes a day," he muttered.

He was starting to grow a little attached to his companions, or at least much more than he usually did, viewing them as either lackeys or another piece of meat between himself and the blade of his own demise. Oswin was proving useful, and though Novelty was a bit odd for his kind, having another 'forged with a differing point of view was interesting. He wasn't sure what to make of the cleric yet: faith seemed to be something beyond the mercenary's realm of tolerance, especially after having a run in with several Emerald Claw maniacs. Dare he say he even liked his companions: they didn't die easily like so many others... then he mentally kicked himself, frowning when Oswin tampered clumsily around with the wand, "...I thought you were a -skilled- artificer."
    Last edited by LeoMidori; 2013-11-23 at 11:23 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Oswin wraps a bandage around his wounded hand while thoughtfully looking at the wand "Looks to be of Aundairian make. Poor quality, probably one of the ones produced in mass at the end of the war. These need to be constantly maintained, or else they are prone to erratic behavior. The bandits probably suspected what they had, but I doubt they managed to get it to work, otherwise they would have used it agianst us. Misused, maybe as a backscratcher... " He finally notices Whiteneck addressing him and looks up "Skill is only part of the Artificer's craft, just as important is the spirit of exploration and the willingness to take risks. But to answer your question my skills are roughly what it takes to patch up a certain wiseass warforged, whom was unable to duck when aforementioned bandits pulled out their crossbows."
    Last edited by Rofltrollcopter; 2013-11-24 at 12:45 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

"What a wonderful opportunity, Jeb smiled up at his travelling companion, "Keep our place in the queue, Ayana, I'm going to earn some coin."

He stepped out of the dull line past a pair of warforged and a one eyed human and swung his violin up to his neck. "Gentlemen, ladies, sentient creatures without gender. This wait is tiresome for us all, what say I play so the time passes more pleasantly for you?" With that he places his tin mug on the ground and begins to play.

Spoiler: META
    Show
    Perform (1d20+8)[13]
    I didn't choose the life of a murderhobo, it chose me.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Master Aticus wouldn't be pleased to see his Novelty treated this way, looking at his companions it seemed like hours had past and only on few occasions had the guards looked his way. It would undoublty hurt his masters pride.

Novelty himself didn't mind the waiting that much it was not unusual for it to just stand in his masters thropy room waiting until his master wanted to look at him once more. There he had equal friends who served the same function like Q'rrall the ming vase or Hunter's Glory a painting created by the artist BreakFlame.

Here in front of the cities gate the Purple Warforged felt out of place and bit lonely.

He eyed the commotion in front of him.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Never toss a Dwarf... Halflings are much lighter."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Oswin glances up at the gnome with the violin, Something funny if you please, the absurdity of this day will set up a nice contrast for it I think.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Ayana

"Hey, don't go far!" I call after my short travelling companion. But I have no need to worry, it seems he's only gone to entertain the next group in line. It seems I can both keep our place in line and sidle up to see what he's up to.

I listen to his piece for a verse or two until I get the timing, and then conjure an image of a dancing frost elemental to accompany his music. The illusion itself is excptionally vivid, but its dancing leaves a lot to be desired, being slightly crude and occasionally clumsy, but I still feel it manages to add a suitably comic (and indeed absurd) tone to the overall composition, so I maintain my concentration on the little imp until Jeb has finished playing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perform (Dancing elemental image): (1d20-1)[6]
    Spell: Silent Image.
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2013-11-25 at 09:32 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

"Come on, Austyn, dance for the people." The sheepdog that was sitting in the line with Ayana came bounding out, lifted his front paws and began hopping around in time to the music. "How about that? That's got to be worth a few sovereigns, eh?"

Show
    Handle animal to perform (1d20+2)[21] DC10
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Oswin begins to chuckle and claps his hands, and shortly stops after he hurts his injured hand. He seems to have been more impressed by the illusion then anything else, or perhaps he didn't want the elf to feel bad about it's awkward performanceWell done! If I didn't know better I would have said that it came straight from Risia itself!. Oswin fishes out a couple of silver pieces and tosses them into the cup. Now if I may have the pleasure of knowing who I am speaking to?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

"That should pay for a light lunch" Jeb puts the coins carefully in his pouch ""...or possibly supper by the time we reach the city proper. Thank you, sir. My name is Jebeddo Silontro of House Sivis and this is my travelling companion, Ayana the master illusionist." The dog barks and runs up to the gnome, "Ah yes, and Austyn, of course. Please, call me Jeb. What names do you and your...um...guards?...go by?"
    Last edited by hoverfrog; 2013-11-25 at 07:00 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12

Novelty attention is slowly drawn to the noisy gnome. But when Jeb calls him a guard he feels compled to correct.

"Your mistaken little one"
    he points at himself
    "I am the property of my master Oliver Finn Aticus. He calls me his Novelty."

The purple Warforged then points to Jebs musical instrument.

"And if you would excuse me being so bold... You neglected to mention her name."
    Last edited by Ouroborosi; 2013-11-25 at 02:09 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Oswin rolls his eyes slightly when Novelty speaks"I highly doubt it has been given a name. Not that I would speak ill of an employer, but I sincerely hope that you eventually learn that Oliver is an exception as far as human behavior is concerned."

Oswin leans down a bit to offer Jeb his good hand and begins speaking with a very faint Cyrean accent Well met Jeb, Oswin Tauschen the Artificer at your service. He briefly switches to Elven from common and addresses the elf "<and at yours too>" He gestures towards the two warforged, "the silent one goes by the name of Whiteneck, and the more peculiar one is known as Novelty. Do not bother asking why, I did not pick the name, I only repaired him. There is another one of our group He looks around, frowning but he seems to have gotten himself lost. No matter. If you wouldn't mind indulging a stranger's curiosity, what purpose do you and your companion have for travelling to the City of Towers?
    Last edited by Rofltrollcopter; 2013-11-25 at 04:47 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Ayana

"Heh, well I don't know about illusionist. Evocations and frost magic come more naturally to me, but I'm really more of an aerospace engineer. My name's Ayana of House Lyrandar in Valenar. I haven't earned my own epithet yet, but I hope to soon! I'm on sabbatical now the war's over. I thought I'd travel and see what I could discover. Oh, and this is my familiar, Kev!" The stormy-coloured hawk on my shoulder gives a piercing keeyaah! at mention of his name.

My eyes light up as the human addresses me in the old tongue of my people.<Oh! And your accent is excellent. Where did you study?>
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2013-11-25 at 04:51 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

There is a hint of sadness in Oswin's voice as he replies "<I did not have a formal education. Many Valenar mercenaries traveled through my hometown during the war. I worked at an inn when I was a boy, and some of them were willing to teach a curious human child a bit of their language>"

He switches back to common "Quite impressive credentials Miss Ayana. The most complicated thing that I've ever worked on is Novelty here. You can rest assured that Sharn will provide has many things to see for the curious travelers who pass through. "
    Last edited by Rofltrollcopter; 2013-11-25 at 10:01 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

"My violin is called Erlkönig when I play like this but when properly tuned I call her Lillith," the gnome offers a low bow to the purple 'forged and fails completely to explain any meaning behind the names. "Forgive me Novelty, but the Treaty of Thronehold is explicit about ownership of sentient creatures. I'm afraid that you cannot be the property of anyone but yourself, not legally in the Five Nations anyway. Maybe in Droaam."

Following the conversation in elven he waves his hand, "Sorry, do you all speak Aerenal?" He'd once badly upset a Karrn officer by conversing with a Mror in the dwarf's native tongue and excluding the human.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Whiteneck gave a nod when Oswin addressed him, showing that he was in fact alive. Conversation not about business didn't seem to be his forte, and he was droll when he finally spoke, "Next you're going to expect me to have a name for my scythe like some shell shocked war veteran with mental dysfunctions... but well met, I suppose. What brings you into the city anyway? Eberron might turn to dust by the time we actually get inside." he addressed openly to the elf, halfling and the gnome.
    Last edited by LeoMidori; 2013-11-25 at 09:16 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

"A good day to you to Erlkönig." the purple Warforged takes a bow with as much respect as some would do to a living being.

"Don't be ridicules" he points to the guards after he received a lecture about freedom. "These guards are property of the city... and trade there body for labour in exchange of coin. But like your Erlkönig I was payed for in full. We are property if no one owns us everyone can steal us." Novelty shakes his head.
    Last edited by Ouroborosi; 2013-11-26 at 03:25 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Whiteneck heard Novelty, spouting his usual nonsense. He frowned, or as much as his stony face could, arms crossing, "You know, the world would be a much more interesting place if more people thought like you. And by more interesting, I mean more terrible. And by thinking 'like you' I mean like an idiot. Spare us of your colourful perspective for a change?"

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Oswin shoots Jeb a panicked look when he brings up the subject of ownership. "I appreciate what your trying to do, but trust me its not worth the trouble. It was hard enough to teach him to refer to himself in the first person. He's not abused or enslaved, he and Oliver just have a bit of an.. old fashioned relationship"

He looks annoyed when Whiteneck snaps at Novelty Whiteneck, you catch more flies with honey then vinegar. Novelty is just.. different. No harm comes from it, so leave him be

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

"What an interesting perspective, Novelty." Jeb ruffles the big sheepdog's head, "I don't own Austyn here. He's my friend and chooses to accompany me...or perhaps I choose to accompany him. I'd absolutely love to hear more about your perspective. It is refreshingly unique. Personally I'd always considered sentience as the arbiter of freedom. If a being can desire freedom then it is wrong to own it. My violin cannot desire anything, as sweet as she sounds, and so is an object. When we do finally get into the city I suggest we sit down for a long discussion in a Jorasco hostelry over whatever their special of the day is."
    Last edited by hoverfrog; 2013-11-30 at 10:07 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22

"Erlkönig is content her reason of being is fulfilled almost every day it seems, thank you."

"But nonetheless you seem to take her existence for granted, that worries me. You use her in an intercourse to make music and shove her aside when your done... that's horrible"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Jeb lifts the violin to his chin again, sticks his bottom lip out and mutters just loud enough for everyone to hear, "Don't listen to the mean warforged, baby. We're a team." Novelty had clearly been dropped on his head at some point and it was probably best to humour him rather than argue. He struck up another tune while crooning appreciative noises and pretending to listen to the instrument answer. Hopefully the comedic value would net them a few more coins while they waited.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Ayana

I take a moment to admire the purple warforged, whilst continuing to talk excitedly with the artificer. "You repaired him! My, your work is exquisite! I'd love to watch you work some time, I'm always trying to learn new things that might help in my designs. Ever see one of the new Stormchasers? We're rolling them out to replace the venerable Skywalkers. I did a lot of work on the khyber shard and elemental ring. My father wanted to use an Arcanix Elemental, because what can go wrong with a spirit of air? I mean yes, air and fire are the classsic ways to go, but what if we tried something more exotic? I managed to show that if we used a frost elemental instead, the ship would generate its own fog bank in humid climes; perfect for stealth and extraction missions! There were all sorts of things we had to figure out, from hull shape to helm design... Sure, the sea-going vessel with an elemnent ring was quick and easy to produce during the war, but they're not really optimised for an airship, y'know? We had such a hard time modifying the spell matrix to bind a frost elemental rather than an air one. Oh, which reminds me, don't ride in anything with a Zephry Five kyhber crystal, it'll fall right out of the sky!"

With that little tidbit of advice, I realise I've been rambling and stumble into an awkward silence. I run a hand through my hair with a sigh and an embarrassed grin. I nearly go off on another topic again though when I hear Jeb misuse the word Sentience.

"Sapience." I correct him. "Sentience denotes the ability to feel and be aware, which even molluscs are. Sapience is the essential quality of the higher creature which might have some base intuition of the concept of freedom."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

"Sapience? Got it. It's the same word in native Zil," He offered a disarming smile up at the elf, "You know that elemental binding in the Five Nations originated with my people? Not that I know much about it personally, you're better off talking to a trained artificer about such things." He glanced at the front of the queue, wondering if the hobgoblins had been sent packing yet or not. What was the delay?
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

At first only copper is thrown at your feet, the people nearby enjoying the show, but as the group participates you find bits of gold thrown to your feet. Even the apparition turns the heads of a couple of bystanders, causing giggles and laughs for it's absolute clumsiness.
    After the unique performance a group of noblemen standing nearby send on of their own with a back of gold to Oswin "We assume you are the lead of this unique troop, and would like to thank you for sending them out to perform for us to alleviate the boredom of standing in line."
    After handing the bag over, and a couple of glances at Novelty and Whiteneck, the man makes his way back to his group.

As you make your way through the guards (where a few more had accumulated to watch the performance after grabbing the two troublemakers)
    Jeb finds a cold gauntlet upon his shoulder,
    "Hold there troublemaker...Think we wouldn't notice the falsified papers? Check the rest of his group, make sure the rest are not also fake""

The group of six guards surround you, "Lay down your arms and hand your papers in...We want no issues past what you already bring...And make sure the papers on the Forged ones are also accurate...can't have such dangerous beasts causing problems in here."

A couple of the guards are young and look rather nervous, as most of the guards look rather untrained, even the older ones, but all have their weapons are drawn (4 spears and 2 swords with large shields)
    One of these days...I am going to play an epic level campaign without ever taking second level in a class. IT will not be a gestalt campaign...you don't want to see that.

If people would stop outbidding me...I would have a massive AD&D and D&D3.5 collection...I mean massive...
    but as it stands, my AD&D conly comes just past my ankles, and my 3.5 barely makes it to my knees...sigh tragic I know...

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Whiteneck frowned, drawing a black leather square from his belt and opening it up, showing a simple portrait of himself with his ghola written in very light grey as the one on his head was. He made it a point to have "Profession: Bounty Hunter" written on his card under his name and residence within Sharn, the warforged taking a moment to pop a small buckle on his back to make his scythe loose, holding it at waist level with the foot of it in the ground and the blade carefully pointed to his side, his daggers and sword thrown to the ground at his feet, for the moment "I may be dangerous, but I don't want to cause trouble. Anything that will speed this along is fine with me."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Ayana

I glance anxiously at my companions to see their reactions. I'm not thrilled at being taken into custody and I'm sure we could taken them, but neither am I keen to make myself a wanted fugitive.

I unsling my bow, holding it by one end so as to make it clear that I'm not preparing to fire. "I'll want a receipt for this."

29. - Top - End - #29

The Purple Warforged slowly draws the big Falchion from his back with it's tip to the ground he holds it against his chest.

Then he leans back until he falls over resembling in a fashion a knights tombstone.

"Young Master Eribor. As a weapon i have been but out of commission... for the time being... Could you recover the required identification papers?"

Novelty remains on it's back. Equal with the weapons that have been dropped on the floor.
    Last edited by Ouroborosi; 2013-11-29 at 05:00 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

"I'm sorry, officer. I think you've made a mistake." Jeb offers a laugh to show that there are no hard feelings, "You see, I'm House Sivis. The Mark of Scribing is what my cousins use to validate the very papers that you're claiming are forged. Would you care to see the dragonmark on my shoulder? I understand that they are exceedingly difficult to produce copies of."

Jeb slowly moves to unbuckle his scimitar and then hands it and his arrows over. He retains his bow across his back though as it's no use without the arrows anyway.

Show
    How much money is in the bag?
    Diplomacy check (1d20+9)[22]
    Spoiler
    Show