New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

Default Re: To the Tower! (IC) [Dragon Age]

"Well, I was going to join the hawking party at the hills. However, since I didn't manage to rent a horse it seems more and more pointless with every minute. I gladly come with you." Ivonne says with a smile.
    "I recently bought a new dress. Who knows maybe I'll find earrings or a pendant that will go well with it."
    Last edited by black velvet; 2013-11-21 at 03:44 PM.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

afternoon anti-climax; sunny, hot, still air
    Orhild returned with the yardsmaster, got the wagons "sealed," which meant an inventory in duplicate with each copy meticulously rolled and the roll-ends dipped deeply in molten wax that then was stamped using brass pendants that Orhild and the yardsmaster wore on chains about their necks.

She was a bit intrigued by Ivonne's addition to the caravan, somewhat dubious about including her as "crew," grumbled something about "slightly smaller handfuls ... but I guess we'll all be glad of extra hands, 'case things go south," and called:
    Spoiler: the roster
    Show
    CREW
    herself
    Cambion
    Halendor
    Saras
    Rhys
    Ivonne
    Thomar (hard-beaten male Felderan, wearing light mail and longsword, carrying longbow and a medium shield)
    Joblun, Urruk, and Hogbul (three drivers, who appear to be brothers or cousins, very close in age; they speak Trade Tongue with a thick accent, which Cambion alone can recognize as typical of Anderfels yokels)
    six male dwarves, who keep to themselves; they also are drivers.

She has also accepted two late-come applicants not for crew, but as
    PASSAGERS
    Sidney (grim young male Orlesian, wearing heavy leather and a long sword)
    Tuaiss (equally grim but older female Antivan, wearing heavy leather, carrying a spear)

Now the wagon axles creak, the wooden rim-wheels roll and creak, the leather yokes of oxen and buros creak, the animals huff, and the caravan rolls up the south road toward the hawking party still at the first hill crest. The crew walk alongside; the passagers ride. It will be about two hours to reach the hill crest. Along the way, fields of two or five or ten acres, walled waist-high with heaped stones, occasional stands of trees in hollows or hummocks or in boggy spots, as at the Yards' edge near the river (where Rhys sat ambush just the previous morning). Many, many people busy at work in their fields, occasionally looking toward their small and tidy cottages set back from the road.

All so bucolic and calm ....

3. - Top - End - #123
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by axharr View Post
    She was a bit intrigued by Ivonne's addition to the caravan, somewhat dubious about including her as "crew," grumbled something about "slightly smaller handfuls ... but I guess we'll all be glad of extra hands, 'case things go south,"
    Ivonne assures Orhild that her inconspicuous look is actually an advantage - cause no one sees her as a threat.

All so bucolic and calm ....
    Ivonne walks next to Halendor. She seems friendly and cheerful. She will gladly talk if anyones approaches her. She's eager to get to know her new companions.
    Last edited by black velvet; 2013-11-23 at 07:42 AM.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Rhys walks along keeping pace with the caravans. He leans forward a bit and glances around the caravan to see Ivonne and Halendor walking side by side on the other side of the wagon. Quickly he falls back to his sisters side and begins to grumble.

"Looks like we start our quest for a home again, what is this our ninth attempt?

5. - Top - End - #125

later afternoon, along the South Road
    At the hill crest, ahead, the hawking party continues. Maybe two dozen people, brightly dressed, sit on horses, watching as the noble birds spring and spiral upward, plummet into the thickets to pinion coneys and squirrels, then row burdened back to the hill top through the lower air.

The road is about twelve yards wide, gently crowned, tight paved with unpolished and varicolored blocks of stone. At each side are ditches dividing the road from the fields, and in the ditches are thickets and shrubs and flowering grasses. The paving itself is sparse of plants; just some kind of small-leafed creeper that has greenly crawled along every joint of the stones.

After about an hour the wagons have rumbled over a half-dozen places where little streams flow through big culverts laid under the roadbed. Orhild, walking with the buros of the second wagon, calls to Cambion: "Hey, tall dark and handsome! Use your sweet tongue to tell us how you came to Lothering!" After a pause, she adds, "or you, little maid with the blade and the flowery armor, what road did you come?"

6. - Top - End - #126
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

After a pause, she adds, "or you, little maid with the blade and the flowery armor, what road did you come?"
    "I came to Ferelden by ship." Ivonne replies with a strong Orleasian accent. "In Denerim I met a family of fur traders who were heading back West after the Summer Market. In exchange for help with the children they agreed to give me a lift to Lothering".
    Last edited by black velvet; 2013-11-23 at 11:24 AM.

7. - Top - End - #127

still on the road
    After a pause, "I'm from the central Bannorn," says Thomar. "Good land for farming; with the Chantry techniques, it's almost too good. Leaving half the fields fallow, half years we still have more than enough, and not enough work for strong hands. Idle time is good for learning, and I learned to use a sword. But back home, that trade is like all others; more hands than work.

"So I came south, to the edgelands, where there's work to be had."

The wagon train continues for about another hour to where the road noticeably inclines toward the hill crest. The hill actually was cut here, long ago, so that there's a steep bank upward from the west side of the road. It's at the top of that bank, about fifty feet up, where the hawking party sit their horses. A curving track leads down from the crest to the roadside. Just next where the track meets the road, is another of the culverts; but just west of the road, the brook has been dammed to make a broad, shallow pool of fresh running water. Orhild calls a halt and begins to work with her drivers to unyoke the draft beasts, who need to drink.

Up above, the hawking seems to be ending. The riders are descending the track to a broad meadow next the pool.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Halfling in the Playground

Cambion heads to the pool and refreshes his Waterskin, dampens a rag and starts cleaning the dirt of the road from his Shield and Armour.

When Orhild had asked about peoples journeys to Lothering he was relieved when the Young Woman started her Tale...

Cambion looked over towards the Hawking Party and tried to evaluate their skill... he had always enjoyed watching the Raptors in flight as a child.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception:(3d6+2)[2][1][5](10)

9. - Top - End - #129
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

Ivonne brushes dust off her thigh high boots and armour. Then she walks up to the pond where she washes the sweat off her face and refills her waterskin.

Seeing Cambion's interest in the birds she asks, trying to start a conversation "Are they any good?"
    Last edited by black velvet; 2013-11-25 at 07:53 AM.

10. - Top - End - #130

Lost in thought Cambion doesn't even realise he is speaking
    "I didn't see everything, but there is a noticable leader in their Birds"
    Cambion smiled, his soft features becoming almost child-like
    "My Mother used to say 'You can Judge a person by the company they keep' - Someone there wants to be better than the rest, and is using a higher trained Hawk"

11. - Top - End - #131
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

"Unless the owner of the bird is cheating I don't see anything wrong in it" Ivonne replies, trying to spot the leader hawk.

"For me they all look the same"
    she says after a while, giving up. "You have an interesting accent. It's like Orleasian, but more throaty. Where do you come from? Cumberland?"
    Last edited by black velvet; 2013-11-25 at 05:04 PM.

12. - Top - End - #132

Cambion turns and remembers his manners, bowing to the lady before continuing
    "Beg pardon Milady, you are Correct - I am Cambion Byronus Lucien DeCorvous of Cumberland - and My Mother would thank you for recognising her Accent in my voice"
    Rising again, the young Warrior has a smile that could melt the Frostbacks, the memories of his Mother warming the core of his being he continues
    "And you have me at a disadvantage, I am aware Halendor and yourself are aquainted, but he has not seen fit to introduce us"

13. - Top - End - #133
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

"I am Ivonne Bernadette Gilard de Val Royeaux" Ivonne introduces herself, returning the smile. "It is a pleasure to meet you, Ser Cambion." she nods politely.

"What brings a Nevarran Nobleman so far from home?" she asks, intrigued.
    Last edited by black velvet; 2013-11-25 at 05:40 PM.

14. - Top - End - #134

RogueGuy

"I am thirsty brother. I am heading to the pool to get a drink." Saras tells Rhys as she heads over to the pool.

She notices Cambion speaking to a human women she doesn't recognize. Saras doesn't want to disturb the conversation and she finishes the last drops of water from her waterskin and begins to fill it once more.

15. - Top - End - #135

"I am the Forth son of Lucien Aaronus DeCorvous, A direct Descendant of Byron Castiel Andonus DeCorvous - Dragonslayer"
    Cambions smile retreats as he speaks
    "And I am my Mothers Son"
    Cambion looks very pained, but can't stop himself speaking - Ivonnes accent reminds him of his Mother and the need to share overwhelms him.
    "In the years since Byron DeCourvous was Granted his Title and Nobility the DeCourvous Line has done nothing of Note, they have Lived as Lords and Ladies and made no mark on Nevarre or the World - My Family have done Nothing to honor the exploits of my Ancestor"
    Cambion looks quite shaken as he continues
    "My Father Lords it over his Serfs and makes a large show of being 'High-Born', My Eldest Brother, Lukas, is his Golden Child and seems cut from the same cloth - Castiel, the Secondborn took the Vows and renounced the Name and Title - Aaron, my direct senior, took ill with a wasting sickness and died before my 9th birthday, but was the Brother that meant most to me - he taught me of the Old Knights, played with me when Father was distracted, and made sure I knew what Honor really was"

Cambion wipes a tear from his face, and chuckes sadly
    "Mother made time to teach me between Tutors, so that Aaron's lessons would not be lost - as Father taught me to Fight, Hawk and Hunt like a Noble, She taught me to 'Be' Noble"

Cambion quickly forces himself back into control and looks up at the Lady Ivonne with a sad smile
    "I took my Arms and Armour from the Family Armory, Bade farewell to my home - I am here to live up to my Legacy, To Honor my Mother and Brother, to bring Honor back to the Name DeCorvous"

16. - Top - End - #136
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

In Ivonne's homeland it's uncommon to share details of a private life with a person who you've just met. It seems like things are different in Nevarra. Ivonne listens to Cambion in silence. His story moves the girl deeply and reminds her how much she misses her own family.

"I'm sure you'll achieve your goal, Ser Cambion. Your mother has to be very proud of you." Ivonne says, trying to smile. "I wish I could say the same about my mom - but I can't."

"I envy you." she sighs sadly. "You can always go back to home. I don't have such option."

At this point she notices a young female elf who is filling a waterskin.

"Looks like we have a company" Ivonne says to Cambion. "Do you know her?" she asks.
    Last edited by black velvet; 2013-11-26 at 03:08 PM.

17. - Top - End - #137

later afternoon, picnic time, breezeless air with scents of water, flowers, grass, and beasts
    The sun is dipping west of northwest, still well above the slightly jagged blue line of the Frostbacks. The hawking party have set their birds to roost among branches of a twisty maple tree near the pond, and have pulled out blankets from their saddlebags; they spread these, six or seven, across the dryest flat parts of the meadow. Each also pulls forth viands and bottles, and they set to a picnic beneath a yellow banner that hangs limply from its pole..

Among the party are the red-haired lady whom Ivonne saw last night, and her male companion. The lady wears light mail armor, a long and a short blade. The man wears heavy leather, with a very long blade across his back. In daylight they look a bit older than they did the previous night. Although neither is paying a bit of attention to the caravaneers watering their draft beasts, the lady's red hair is unforgettable - as is her trilling laugh, which repeatedly chirps in echoes from the hillside.

18. - Top - End - #138

"No Milady - I have left with my Mothers Blessings and my Fathers Scorn - When I return, Should I be so blessed, It will not be for a Reunion"
    as Ivonne calls attention to the nearby figure Cambion looks over to see Saras filling her skin,
    "Ah, Milady Gilard, please allow me to introduce Miss Saras of the Dalish, Miss Saras - Milady Ivonne Bernadette Gilard Of Val Royeaux, Orlais"

As Ivonne and Saras exchange greetings, Cambion turns his eyes once more to the Hawking party in the distance, noticing the Yellow Banner and REd Hair the hairs on the back of his neck start to pick up - something is familiar, but he can't quite put his finger on it...

19. - Top - End - #139

RogueGuy

Saras finishes filling her waterskin and walks over towards Cambion and Ivonne.

"It is a pleasure to meet you Ivonne Bernadette." Saras says as she crosses her arms and bows.

I believe this is what human tradition dictates. Saras thinks to herself

20. - Top - End - #140
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by curst_rein View Post
    "Ah, Milady Gilard, please allow me to introduce Miss Saras of the Dalish, Miss Saras - Milady Ivonne Bernadette Gilard Of Val Royeaux, Orlais"
    Quote Originally Posted by shaken_bacon View Post
    Saras finishes filling her waterskin and walks over towards Cambion and Ivonne.

"It is a pleasure to meet you, Ivonne Bernadette." Saras says as she crosses her arms and bows.

I believe this is what human tradition dictates. Saras thinks to herself
    Ivonne always felt sorry for City Elves in Orlais and showed kindness to the ones belonging to her parents. Now for the first time in her life she meets one of these elusive and mysterious Dalish Elves.

"It's a pleasure to meet you too, Saras" Ivonne nods with a friendly smile. "I've heard many unsettling stories about Dalish Elves. Now I see they were untrue.".

Quote Originally Posted by curst_rein View Post
    As Ivonne and Saras exchange greetings, Cambion turns his eyes once more to the Hawking party in the distance, noticing the Yellow Banner and REd Hair the hairs on the back of his neck start to pick up - something is familiar, but he can't quite put his finger on it...
    Ivonne follows Cambion's gaze and notices the Hawking party. She immediately recognizes the red haired woman. "That's Lady Tewars. Last night she invited me to the hawking party. I should probably say hello to her. It will be sometime before Master Orhild will be ready to go. What do you say we join the picnic?" she asks her new companions.
    Last edited by black velvet; 2013-11-27 at 10:18 PM.

21. - Top - End - #141

RogueGuy

"I would be interested in hearing these stories sometime Ivonne Bernadette." Saras replies.

"I'm not sure my brother Rhys would be quite as interested however..." She says and looks back towards the caravan.

22. - Top - End - #142

AssassinGuy

Rhys catches his sisters eyes and pushes himself up off the ground infront of the wagon wheel in which he had previously sat. As he walks towards the group and the pool he lowers his hood. Once he reaches his sister and the others his tired expression becomes blatantly apparent.

"I know that look Saras, you would have draged me over here if I refused to come of my own will." Rhys pauses a moment to fill his flask with pond water.

"My name is Rhys, I'm Saras older brother." He says Introducing himself to Ivonne.

"My apologize for being so quiet this trip its been a rough few day." Rhys's voice is sincere as he attempts to be happy even for just a moment.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

"Nice to meet you, Rhys. I am Ivonne Bernadette Gilard de Val Royeaux" Ivonne replies.

Quote Originally Posted by wentz22 View Post
    "My apologize for being so quiet this trip its been a rough few day." Rhys's voice is sincere as he attempts to be happy even for just a moment.
    "I've heard there were templar troubles in the elven part of the city. Were you two involved?" Ivonne asks, looking at the Dalish pair.
    Last edited by black velvet; 2013-11-28 at 07:17 AM.

24. - Top - End - #144

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by black velvet View Post
    "Nice to meet you, Rhys. I am Ivonne Bernadette Gilard de Val Royeaux" Ivonne replies.

"I've heard there were templar troubles in the elven part of the city. Were you two involved?" Ivonne asks, looking at the Dalish pair.
    "Just another day really." Rhys replys while taking a drink from his flask. "Just this time we were the two unlucky ones in the wrong place at the wrong time."

25. - Top - End - #145

RogueGuy

"If there is trouble in the city many humans are quick to blame the two dalish elves that live among them." Saras adds.

26. - Top - End - #146

"All right all right!" Orhild shouts, "armed crew! Time to learn your jobs! TAKE POSTS for harness up!"

Her voice gets, at least, the full attention of the picnickers fifty yards further along the pondshore. They all are staring toward the caravan, now. Meanwhile Orhild and the drivers are leading the beasts back up onto the road, where the carts have been sitting -

"At this stop, in sight of the town, we take it easy," Orhild continues to shout, now beginning to smack together her leather-gauntleted hands for emphasis, "but from here on up, you'll be earning your food and your pay! You and you, sharpears, string those damn bows! At stops like this, you post to a wagon-top, and you each watch a sector. ... You, flower-frock, brush your bangs back, string your bow! STEP LIVELY NOW! Post to a wagon!

"Brawny folks - swords OUT. Shields UP. Form an outward ring!"

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ettin in the Playground

Halendor positions himself close to Orhild, keeping the elves, Lady Ivonne and Cambion in his sight, just in case. He doesn't say anything, focusing on his task.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xhosant View Post
    This is evil, evil GMing. Brilliant, good sir!

LGBTAitP
    Philemon avatar by the awesome Morbis Meh.
    Suikoden Tabletop-Work in progress

28. - Top - End - #148
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by shaken_bacon View Post
    "If there is trouble in the city many humans are quick to blame the two dalish elves that live among them." Saras adds.
    "Many, but not all" Ivonne replies. "Some of us think elves should have the same rights as humans and dwarves".

You, flower-frock, brush your bangs back, string your bow! STEP LIVELY NOW! Post to a wagon!
    Ivonne quicky ties up her hair in a ponytail. Then she moves to the appointed position and pulls up her bow. She scans the area for any threats.

Spoiler: Perception roll
    Show

(3d6+1)[1][3][3](8)
    Last edited by black velvet; 2013-11-29 at 12:42 PM.

29. - Top - End - #149

looking over to Halendor the young Warrior gives a quick Nod, signalling that he is ready - then, with practiced ease, Cambion draws Blade and sets Shield as he strides into position, scanning the horizon as he takes his place...
    Last edited by curst_rein; 2013-11-29 at 12:36 PM.

30. - Top - End - #150

RogueGuy

Saras pulls out her bow and an arrow while running back towards the caravan. Saras takes a look around to try and find any threats that may be hiding.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception: (3d6+2)[3][4][6](15)