New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: DM horror stories (warning! rage inducing)

Quote Originally Posted by LordChaos13 View Post
    @OP: My god. I've only heard one worse horror story and thats the SUE Files DM.
    There was also the one that ended with the police being called.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    And he didn't even give you a full set of custom relics? You're right he is a terrible DM.
    Awesome, looking forward to this being a full on forum staple!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stux View Post
    Awesome, looking forward to this being a full on forum staple!
    I cant make references lest i be a troll :P
    "Every sinner has a future and every saint has a past"

Quote Originally Posted by ryu View Post
    Ort is right
    I added to your thread wins, you added to my Sig

4. - Top - End - #34
    Colossus in the Playground

I'm actually curious why this became a "grapple your borrowed PC back to the party" thing.

Were you trying to "escape" the party, or what was going on? Why did you need to be "brought back?"

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oh, God.

I'm... Flabergasted by the story, it's... Wow...

I'll share one as well, and, to be fair, as a DM, I found myself guilty of doing something similar, and I feed really bad for it.

It all started with the player's going up against a group of supposed bandits that had been stealing relics from local temples for some time. One of the players had a Dhampir Gunslinger, with two levels of monk with the maneuver master archetype, so she could shoot, then grab, then drink blood. Long story short, they pretty much killed everyone, to the except of a young member that arrived only to watch the Dhampir suck the blood out of his father, and escaped in horseback. They lost the chase (fortitude saves, shooting and all), and found out these guys had been not just stealing relics, but also destroying them, to 'liberate magic'.

After that, they found that the kid told the people a few towns away of what happened, and described the Dhampir as a vampire. The town refused to aid any of them, and there was pretty much the typical mob of peasants with torches and pitchforks.

The dhampir decided she was not having it, and looked on the 'leader' of the mob and decided to intimidate him. It worked, the mob dissolved and they got the town to help them, just as long as they left quickly.

Soon, word got around of the dhampir, and so the character got a price on her head. The player was fine with it, until another group of adventurers, a CoDzilla included, wiped the floor with the party, but the cleric offered mercy if the dhampir would accept a Mark of Justice to atone for her sins.

The Mark's edict was simple: For a Year and a Day, you will live under the code of the Paladin. The player, bummed and pissed off about it, began to make his character act 'erratically' because she was 'going insane' because the code was against 'everything the character stood for'. He then dropped the character and rolled for a druid.

Now, I consider that I did wrong in the sense of a) setting the word too quickly and people reacting too harshly b) setting them up against an encounter with their opposites c)I think the Mark of Justice might have been too much, too rail-roady.

However, this player always tries to bend the rules somewhat, in very little things, which he knows I suck at looking at first, and usually it's because of the times I find out, I have to audit the entire party. It's a bit frustrating, and I hate to do this, and I want to trust my players, and I want my players to have fun, and to make stories they might find interesting.
    MAGIC, n. An art of converting superstition into coin. There are other arts serving the same high purpose, but the discreet lexicographer does not name them.

Taken from The Devil's Dictionary

Spoiler
    Show
    My Warmage Guidebook (notice I said Guidebook, not Handbook), still in the works.

Pathfinder's Inquisitor Handbook.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    And they only speak barbarian tongues, which naturally consists of saying "bar bar bar" over and over again.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

I think that most (not all) of that is ok and logical. An angry mob appearing makes sense, and its not like they didn't handle it fine.

As for the "opposites fight", I think sometimes showing there are more powerful NPC's is a good thing, the only big issue is "following the paladins code for a year and a day" is really much.
    (Currently afk halfway across the country.)

Attempting Homebrew:
    Requip Knight

7. - Top - End - #37
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm pretty new at being a DM but I've played alot of DnD and my brother was a great DM and I learned alot from him and feel like I do a decent job. Anyways i find out some friends at the time like to play and I'm trying to introduce my wife to the game so we start a game going and it becomes pretty regular. So the group is myself DMing. My wife, a friend and his wife playing. I'm big on little details. Finding your food keeping track of rations and especially gold. I want to make sure if you buy something in game you paid for it. Well the friends wife develops this character.... a "super hot elf princess who's parents are super rich and she always gets what she wants" her words. right away the discription irks me. (Her character having a charisma score of 11 yet being "super hot") but what ever. AS our session goes on this character we'll call Eleanor, truly starts to take on the role of "I get what I want" when asking to pay her bar tab. Or to cover life expenses over months she would just state "my parents pay for everything" THEN the real kicker was after every game session of getting frustrated trying to get her to play by the rules her husband would text me and give me tips on how to DM to cater to his stupid wives princess wishes. But it didn't end with her trying to just have her rich parents pay for everything. She wanted the rules to bend to her desire of "I get what I want" trying to cast spells in spots she can't see. Trying to change into bear form, change out of bear form cast bark skin, change back into a bear, and attack all in one turn.... And then get pissed at me when i tell her no. Always stating "i get what i want!" And good lord if I ever forgot her turn idhear about it from her. Then her ***** husband after the session. It's slim pickings here for players so I tolerated all this because I just wanted to play but I finally gave up and disbanded the group. I've never hated a player character so much in my life. But maybe that's just it. Maybe she played her character too well! And it's the exact kind if person I dispise. If so good for her.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtychainz View Post
    I'm pretty new at being a DM but I've played alot of DnD and my brother was a great DM and I learned alot from him and feel like I do a decent job. Anyways i find out some friends at the time like to play and I'm trying to introduce my wife to the game so we start a game going and it becomes pretty regular. So the group is myself DMing. My wife, a friend and his wife playing. I'm big on little details. Finding your food keeping track of rations and especially gold. I want to make sure if you buy something in game you paid for it. Well the friends wife develops this character.... a "super hot elf princess who's parents are super rich and she always gets what she wants" her words. right away the discription irks me. (Her character having a charisma score of 11 yet being "super hot") but what ever. AS our session goes on this character we'll call Eleanor, truly starts to take on the role of "I get what I want" when asking to pay her bar tab. Or to cover life expenses over months she would just state "my parents pay for everything" THEN the real kicker was after every game session of getting frustrated trying to get her to play by the rules her husband would text me and give me tips on how to DM to cater to his stupid wives princess wishes. But it didn't end with her trying to just have her rich parents pay for everything. She wanted the rules to bend to her desire of "I get what I want" trying to cast spells in spots she can't see. Trying to change into bear form, change out of bear form cast bark skin, change back into a bear, and attack all in one turn.... And then get pissed at me when i tell her no. Always stating "i get what i want!" And good lord if I ever forgot her turn idhear about it from her. Then her ***** husband after the session. It's slim pickings here for players so I tolerated all this because I just wanted to play but I finally gave up and disbanded the group. I've never hated a player character so much in my life. But maybe that's just it. Maybe she played her character too well! And it's the exact kind if person I dispise. If so good for her.
    Dirtychainz, do you know what thread necromancy is?
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Firbolg in the Playground

It's when someone wears really dated fashions? Am I right?

I bet I'm right.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtychainz View Post
    Shoo shoo dirty necromancer, lest we end up with a graverat infestation again. Yknow what they say, if you see one... there's thousands more out of sight...
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    There are certain advantages to a game being as badly written as 3.5.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ATHATH View Post
    Dirtychainz, do you know what thread necromancy is?
    Judging by it being his first post, I'm leaning towards they haven't even read the first line from the forum rule book.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

I have had some horrible gm stories, some of which I have shared here.

The worst was the guy who eventually ended up tackling me as I left his campaign because I refused to hand him my character sheet, but I have had plenty of other bad gms.

The very first GM I had was my younger brother. I was playing 2e with him and his friends. I loved the concept and couldn't wait to try... but when I get there within 15 minutes they've genked my first lvl wizard for no reason. I smacked my brother with my coat on my way out, they were being flat out *****.

Another guy, much more recently, ran a campaign that was flat out horrible. Nevermind the fact that there were NINE players at the table, all of the characters were pregenerated. I picked the druid because I had never played one before. Only somehow I'm a 7 year old who gets magically aged to 17 and turned into a werewolf looking creature with no spells, no animal companion, no wild empathy and pretty much **** for everything else. It was... bad. Not to mention the fact the room we were in was super cramped and if one guy had to use the restroom everyone had to get up. It was also super plot railroad bull****. Easily the worst GM I have ever experienced. Not so much because he was a jerk, but more because he was incompetent. You can still have fun with a jerk GM, but an incompetent one will always suck.

As for the first one I mentioned, his game was fun... the guy was just a collossal asshat, as were his players.

Edit: Oh damnit, another necro thread.
    *Gets a scroll of undeath to death*
    Last edited by Calthropstu; 2017-12-03 at 10:57 PM.