New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: What '-mancer' would you be?

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimal View Post
    Beastamancer. For some odd reason, animals readily trust me and tend to come over to make friend with me.
    Thats the polar opposite to me. All animals hate me. SQUIRRELS will seek me out and try to kill me.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I personally would be a Misplacermancer (already practiced my skills, woo!) with quite a bit of talent in the Procrastimancer field.

As for others though...

Rockamancer! With total power over rocks! (and they like, totally rock, dude!)
    "I never laugh." - Wanda Firebaugh (Go Wanda!)
    "That's the way the Fireball bounces!" - Fizban the Fabulous
    "Shut up." - Raistlin Majere, your older sibling, and me.

...."and the Geek shall inherit the world."

3. - Top - End - #183
    Dwarf in the Playground

psychomancer

treeamancer (not to be confused with hippiemancer)

4. - Top - End - #184
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by pclips View Post
    But not all of them end in "-mancy." Think outside the magical cabinet.
    From what I've seen so far, I expect to see allusionists represent the most potent school of magic.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

necromancer.

...what? I can use an actual one if I want to.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bilgore View Post
    From what I've seen so far, I expect to see allusionists represent the most potent school of magic.
    Funniest post in a week. :D
    Rob Balder, Erfworld author/co-creator, and creator of PartiallyClips

7. - Top - End - #187
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pclips View Post
    This is a great thread. I love how long-lived it is.

Not to be a tease, but I will admit that some of you have named some of the magical disciplines which exist in Erfworld.

But not all of them end in "-mancy." Think outside the magical cabinet.
    magicstorageamancer?
    Last edited by moleytov; 2007-02-06 at 05:16 PM.
    Well THAT changes the equation considerably, I haven't worked out all the math yet, but I can estimate the answer as, "You're Screwed".
    ::Bubbles by Me::

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Procrastimancer. If I ever leave that line of work, Compumancer.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ettin in the Playground

My first thought was to be a pieromancer. But then I had to look at the pros and cons.

Pieromancers combine aspects of the piemancer, romancer, and punmancer. Because they are humormancers, they can easily move to slapstickmancers or pervomancers through the piemancer and romancer classes. However, they tend to be at odds with witomancers, such as sarcasmancers and ironimancers. As a bit of a sarcasmancer myself, I'm not sure I'd want that.

Do humormancers and witmancers fit into general artmancy? I understand that things like paintomancers and drawomancers fit in there...if humormancy is extended through this, a piemancer-artmancer could become a Pollockomancer. Now that I think about it, piemancy and punomancy allow for a little delving into circlemancy as well. These spellcasters are so intertwined with each other, aren't they?

Maybe a stitchomancer for erfworld would be talented...

But in real life, I'm afraid I'd probably be something like a hugmancer. Or a depressedomancer.
    Last edited by Cobra_Ikari; 2007-02-15 at 06:23 PM.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGirl

Emomancers FTW! Instead of making uncroaked, I'd make Superfluous infantry.
    Member of the Miko Fanclub before it was cool
    Also Excessive User of the Word "Pwnsome".

11. - Top - End - #191
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RecklessFable View Post
    Sarcasmanswer
    Good play on words... It works on multiple levels both dismissing the question and answering it, plus it has a clever homophone. Nice.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Alas, I follow a different path. For I am a Burninaticist!

13. - Top - End - #193
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MReav View Post
    Alas, I follow a different path. For I am a Burninaticist!
    Well, he said not all casters were -mancers, and there's geek-culture references all over the place, so maybe the fire/battle magic casters will be Burninators?

14. - Top - End - #194
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos View Post
    Well, he said not all casters were -mancers, and there's geek-culture references all over the place, so maybe the fire/battle magic casters will be Burninators?
    Well, I'd be a Pyrokineticist if such things were possible, but if Erfworld, it would likely be a Burninaticist.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, I'd be a Pyrokineticist if such things were possible, but if Erfworld, it would likely be a Burninaticist.
    Ok, I get that you want fire magic, whatever term you use... but this is Erfworld, and if there's a geek-reference to be had, it's likely to use it. "Burninator" fits the concept of a fire/battle mage and is a geek reference, so I think it's a more likely Erf-term for that type of caster.

Hmm... I wonder if Croakamancy includes fear-inducing magic like it's analog, Necromancy, does. If so, maybe somewhere in that dark art there's a spell for inducing shock and horror via "Visions of the Goat Sea"?
    Last edited by Thanatos; 2007-02-22 at 12:12 AM.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Ok, I get that you want fire magic, whatever term you use... but this is Erfworld, and if there's a geek-reference to be had, it's likely to use it. "Burninator" fits the concept of a fire/battle mage and is a geek reference, so I think it's a more likely Erf-term for that type of caster.
    Fire Psychic. I'm wanting to be a Fire Psychic.

Hmm... I wonder if Croakamancy includes fear-inducing magic like it's analog, Necromancy, does. If so, maybe somewhere in that dark art there's a spell for inducing shock and horror via "Visions of the Goat Sea"?
    "Visions of the Goat Seekers". There might also be one for the "Visions of the Girl of Tobb".

17. - Top - End - #197
    Dwarf in the Playground

Fire Psychic. I'm wanting to be a Fire Psychic.
    Ah, but I'm definately in the camp of Psi == Magic.

Both are equally fantastic; it's just that Psi tries to cloak itself in pseudoscience, so it's more readily accepted in loose sci-fi. In the end, both "powers" boil down to telling reality to "sit down and shut up" via force of will. The Psi user thinks the power is inborn and used by concentration, while the Magic user thinks that various symbols have power that can direct or manifest his will.

Erfworld is more likely to go with the Magic perspective than the Psi one, I think.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Ah, but I'm definately in the camp of Psi == Magic.
    Yeah, but it's a different type of magic, that gets to call its practitioners -icists, as opposed to -mancers.

And I'm not going to get owned by some random Schmuck who decides to invest in a Mage Beatdown (Mage Bane) weapon. Let him get a +2 enhancement that only exists on crappier crystal weaponry.

Plus we don't know the full extent of their magics.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeah, but it's a different type of magic, that gets to call its practitioners -icists, as opposed to -mancers.

And I'm not going to get owned by some random Schmuck who decides to invest in a Mage Beatdown (Mage Bane) weapon. Let him get a +2 enhancement that only exists on crappier crystal weaponry.

Plus we don't know the full extent of their magics.
    The default D&D rule is that anti-magic and anti-psi work on both power types... I tend to agree. As for Erfworld, my guess is that there probably aren't psi-types. It's been a deranged version of "classic fantasy" so far, at least.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm kinda torn. The Dirtamancer is by far my favorite character, but I'd rather be an iceamancer. (Icemancer?)

21. - Top - End - #201
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

The default D&D rule is that anti-magic and anti-psi work on both power types... I tend to agree. As for Erfworld, my guess is that there probably aren't psi-types. It's been a deranged version of "classic fantasy" so far, at least.
    Except that they don't always. A Mage Bane Sword will extra harm someone who uses Arcane spells and spell like abilities. A Psi-Bane will only do so to a guy with power points and psi-like abilities. That's kinda the essence of my rant. They are different types of magic (like the difference between Arcane and Divine), no doubt, but psionics appeals to me on some level.

I know this is a different world, but given the number of pop-culture references that pop up in this, how long before a Professor Xavier type who's a total Brainiticist (who's also the ship captain of the Enter-and-Win-aprise, or at has an identical twin who is)?

22. - Top - End - #202
    Dwarf in the Playground

Except that they don't always. A Mage Bane Sword will extra harm someone who uses Arcane spells and spell like abilities. A Psi-Bane will only do so to a guy with power points and psi-like abilities. That's kinda the essence of my rant. They are different types of magic (like the difference between Arcane and Divine), no doubt, but psionics appeals to me on some level.

I know this is a different world, but given the number of pop-culture references that pop up in this, how long before a Professor Xavier type who's a total Brainiticist (who's also the ship captain of the Enter-and-Win-aprise, or at has an identical twin who is)?
    Mage bane sword? Bane weapons in D&D use creature type to determine whether they work or not. You could have a Humanoid (Human) bane weapon that would hurt human wizards, but it'd also hurt human fighters, while leaving elven wizards immune to the bane damage. I don't think there's any class-based equivalent, and with good reason; while a target has only one race, it may have multiple classes. Should a 10 Fighter / 1 Wizard have as much vulnerability to "Mage Bane" as an 11 Wizard?

Now, there are weapons that can screw with magic in various ways, and are thus useful against mage-types, but only if the term used is "arcane spell" would they be limited to affecting a mage's powers. If the term is just "spell", then it affects divine magic too, and if it targets all magic (anything designated as Spell-Like or Supernatural, including many abilities of non-spellcasters), then it would affect psionics too. It's a different format for using it, but psionics is the same thing as magic on a basic level.

Pointless metaphor here:

Psicraft and Spellcraft are like different operating systems. Wizards code within the Spellcraft pardigm, while Clerics get a simplified system of Icons to handle the details for them within the Spell-OS. Psionicists are using a different coding language that only works within their system, and is generally more intuitive, but because they don't have removable media, they have limits on the total number of programs they know how to run. Some mages, Sorcerers in particular, imitate the Psi-OS from with the Spellcraft framework so they don't have to keep reinstalling the same programs each time they want to use them.

If some program attempts to modify or disable the program of another user, the limitations of what it can accomplish are determined by the method of it's attack. Some might just interfere with the Icon system used by divine casters, and since they can't handle code without the help of Icon, they are vulnerable to it. Some programs might insert errors into the code that are relatively simple to fix but take time to find, so the Wizards get screwed while the ease-of-use in the Icon system lets Clerics fix things quickly enough and run their programs normally. Sometimes a virus is written that can attack the Spellcraft or Psicraft operating systems at such a basic level that it screws things up for anyone on that format, but the virus may be unable to affect the OS it wasn't designed against. Sometimes, the power source is turned off, and then it really doesn't matter if you're using Psi-OS or Spell-OS... magic no work when you disconnect it's power.
    Last edited by Thanatos; 2007-02-25 at 06:34 PM.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Mage bane sword? Bane weapons in D&D use creature type to determine whether they work or not. You could have a Humanoid (Human) bane weapon that would hurt human wizards, but it'd also hurt human fighters, while leaving elven wizards immune to the bane damage. I don't think there's any class-based equivalent, and with good reason; while a target has only one race, it may have multiple classes. Should a 10 Fighter / 1 Wizard have as much vulnerability to "Mage Bane" as an 11 Wizard?
    Magebane is a weapon enhancement found in Complete Arcane. It functions as a Bane weapon against Arcane Spellcasters and things with Arcane Spell-like abililties (IOW, just about every creature with SLAs, except Psi-flavored ones and the Crypt Warden) Look it up here: http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules...aponsArmor.pdf

I know Erfworld is completely different, but given this messing up my tenuous graft on logic online, in addition to my love of psionics and the fact that I prefer being called "funny-name-icist" as opposed to "funny-name-mancer" leads me to want to be a Burninaticist. Also, Burninaticist I think rolls off the tongue better than Burninatomancer.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Dwarf in the Playground

Magebane is a weapon enhancement found in Complete Arcane. It functions as a Bane weapon against Arcane Spellcasters and things with Arcane Spell-like abililties (IOW, just about every creature with SLAs, except Psi-flavored ones and the Crypt Warden) Look it up here: http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules...aponsArmor.pdf

I know Erfworld is completely different, but given this messing up my tenuous graft on logic online, in addition to my love of psionics and the fact that I prefer being called "funny-name-icist" as opposed to "funny-name-mancer" leads me to want to be a Burninaticist. Also, Burninaticist I think rolls off the tongue better than Burninatomancer.
    Ah yes, I had forgotten about that one. Well, it specifically targets arcane magic users, so even one spell of that sort is enough to screw you, although someone with a single arcane caster level could cast what they've got pretty quickly and be immune after that. The weapon property is caster-type specific so it's not too widely useful, but versions could easily be made for priestbane and psibane.

Getting back to the original topic of naming caster types, it was said that not all of them end in "-mancer". "Burninator" was my guess about the fire/evoker style casters, not Burninatomancer, because that would dilute the geek-reference value and sound clumsy rather than simplified. I was never suggesting that you should change your personal terminology, though I don't see psionics as being to likely to show up in Erf, as there's really no point in it. A side character that uses magic but emphatically refuses to call it magic (or to be referred to as a spellcaster) might be funny, but I think the story is already scripted, right?

25. - Top - End - #205
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

ul, but versions could easily be made for priestbane and psibane.
    Psibane weapons do exist. It's a +2 Psionic Enhancement (i.e.: mounted on psionic weapons, which have to be mounted on Crystal Weapons, which tend to be less effective than their metallic counterparts.

BTW, Magebane is useful for taking on high level monsters. Just about everything has Arcane SLAs.

Heh, I think we've totally managed to derail this topic.

So, what -mancer would the rest of you be, or if you care to make up new caster styles, go for that.
    Last edited by MReav; 2007-02-25 at 10:58 PM.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Dwarf in the Playground

Heh, I think we've totally managed to derail this topic.

So, what -mancer would the rest of you be, or if you care to make up new caster styles, go for that.
    I just figured everyone who wanted to answer probably has.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Banned

YOU'D BE WRONG, GOOD SOIREE!

A list of mancers I would be:

Lancermancer

Cancermancer

Chance..rmancer

Panstermancer

Dancermancer

Ninjamancer.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

I would clearly be Bureomancer, with specialities in landsurvey and cartography related tasks, I'm not finished until at least three different forms are all in order, stamped, signed and arrenged neatly with paperclip in upper left corner.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Halfling in the Playground

Devil

Sexymancer.
    Hanlon's Razor:
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

Pastamancer. Since Sauceror is not a viable choice. Disco Bandit and accordion thief come close behind.