New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Crusader Kings 2 Thread II: Sparkly Vampire Invasion

Quote Originally Posted by Hydranova View Post
    So, I've a question. How do you make Non-Republican countries into Republics?
    You can't, really - CK2 is a game about dynasties, and if you converted a monarchy to a republic, the king wouldn't be around no mo'.

What you can do is take a Mayor of a coastal county, grant him the county, and then grant him the duchy that county is in. It will turn into a vassal Merchant Republic, which you can then release if you want, reload the game, and select to play as that republic. This way you can create ahistoric merchant states such as an early Hansa, but be careful about your Trade Practices technology.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

2. - Top - End - #872
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    You can't, really - CK2 is a game about dynasties, and if you converted a monarchy to a republic, the king wouldn't be around no mo'.
    Despite this, There was still that oddity that i posted at some point either in this thread or the first thread where the "Kingdom" of Italy turned into a theocracy. So, such transformations must be theoretically possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    teleporting Hyper Nixon solves problems with Patriotism.

3. - Top - End - #873
    Ogre in the Playground

Well if a bishop had his claim to k_Italy pushed, then Italy could become a theocracy. I've not seen anything like that happen though.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

4. - Top - End - #874
    Barbarian in the Playground

I've seen the Pope become King of France. I'm not sure how, though- maybe he had a claim that factored into a faction war?

5. - Top - End - #875
    Ettin in the Playground

There's basically two ways to switch between government types: ridiculously convoluted claim shenanigans, or the not-quite-as-convoluted tag-switch shenanigans that Flickerdart described. Either way, there is no "become a republic" button that I know of. And either way, AFAIK being a Count-level mayor or any level Theocracy is instant Game Over for the player anyways.
    Last edited by Artanis; 2014-07-29 at 09:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

6. - Top - End - #876
    Ettin in the Playground

Is there any easy way to vassalize Mercenary companies?
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

7. - Top - End - #877
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    Is there any easy way to vassalize Mercenary companies?
    Play as Egypt or the ERE. They get the Mamluks and Varangian Guard respectivly.

Failing that, not really. They have to become landed some how, and that is nigh impossible. Then you'd have to push a claim against them or otherwise get them to accept vassalization.

8. - Top - End - #878
    Ogre in the Playground

I read a way to become a merchant republic once. Although this might qualify as ridiculously complicated and I never tested it. You get rid of all counties except one. Get rid of the mayor in the county and appoint your son to the position. Make your vassal bishop and your son rebel against you. Then surrender to the bishop. I think then your son gains the county with the town as his main holding.

9. - Top - End - #879
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grytorm View Post
    I read a way to become a merchant republic once. Although this might qualify as ridiculously complicated and I never tested it. You get rid of all counties except one. Get rid of the mayor in the county and appoint your son to the position. Make your vassal bishop and your son rebel against you. Then surrender to the bishop. I think then your son gains the county with the town as his main holding.
    You need a duke or king tier title for that to work. You also sometimes get a game over. However you can still play from the final save. That's how I got my current ironman norse merchant republic.

10. - Top - End - #880

Quote Originally Posted by ObadiahtheSlim View Post
    Failing that, not really. They have to become landed some how, and that is nigh impossible.
    Just hire a bunch of mercs, then go bankrupt. Many will disband, but some will take up arms against you. Let them win the county they want, then strike back with a de jure conquest.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

11. - Top - End - #881
    Ogre in the Playground

Just hire a bunch of mercs, then go bankrupt. Many will disband, but some will take up arms against you. Let them win the county they want, then strike back with a de jure conquest.
    It's still not reliable since it's hard to get a de jure claim on that or to get them to peace out after taking only 1 county.

12. - Top - End - #882
    Firbolg in the Playground

It's still not reliable since it's hard to get a de jure claim on that or to get them to peace out after taking only 1 county.
    If you are smart about it, you can "go bankrupt" while having lots of soldiers ready to put down the invasion. You normally have problems because the mercenaries are several hundred, if not thousand, strong and they revolt in the midst of a war that you needed mercenaries to win. If you hire a bunch of mercenaries while being a king or emperor in peace time, you probably can raise a significant vassal levy to put down the mercenaries. Or you could have a retinue or three.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

13. - Top - End - #883

So it's not much, but I started in 1066 as the Duke of Bohemia, vassal of the HRE. I quickly got myself the Kingdom, but then started having internal wars as my brothers fought for the throne. I had to hire loads of mercenaries to defeat them, and was in a tenous situation.

Then I realised that my nephew was the Byzantine Emperor and I had Elective succession and controlled all the elector titles. After naming him as my successor my character promptly then got rendered Incapable when he was whacked on the head sieging one of his brother's castles. Then he died.

From King of Bohemia to Byzantine Emperor. I then proceeded to conquer most of Croatia and Georgia before I died and the Empire passed to his child son. Said child son turned out to be really quite good.

I then consolidated my bases, conquered Rome, Alexandria and expanded my borders slightly before launching a Holy War for Jerusalem. After beating the Sejluk and Fatimid Sultanates I then conquered Jerusalem and mended the Great Schism (thanks in part due to the Brotherhood of the Holy Sepulchre - 300 gold donations OP). Currently the game is on that character's son, Kaiser Sezima II, who's in his 50s and probably about to pass the throne on to his son Kaiser Sezima III. The year is 1183, all successions are Ultimogeniture.

Not too bad for a first major-ish game! Screenshot enclosed below, the map doesn't want to upload to imgur for me.

Spoiler
    Show
    Illumian Dread Necromancer Lich avatar by Tinymushroom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodgruve View Post
    Really though, how effin scary would the beach be if an octopus could launch itself outta the water at a 200' move speed every 6 seconds. I'd never go to the beach again... I thought flying sharks were scary...

Blood~

14. - Top - End - #884
    Titan in the Playground

I need to continue my playthrough. I still get a giggle of how and whom I have in my dungeon
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

15. - Top - End - #885
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSerpent View Post
    So it's not much, but I started in 1066 as the Duke of Bohemia, vassal of the HRE. I quickly got myself the Kingdom, but then started having internal wars as my brothers fought for the throne. I had to hire loads of mercenaries to defeat them, and was in a tenous situation.

Then I realised that my nephew was the Byzantine Emperor and I had Elective succession and controlled all the elector titles. After naming him as my successor my character promptly then got rendered Incapable when he was whacked on the head sieging one of his brother's castles. Then he died.

From King of Bohemia to Byzantine Emperor. I then proceeded to conquer most of Croatia and Georgia before I died and the Empire passed to his child son. Said child son turned out to be really quite good.

I then consolidated my bases, conquered Rome, Alexandria and expanded my borders slightly before launching a Holy War for Jerusalem. After beating the Sejluk and Fatimid Sultanates I then conquered Jerusalem and mended the Great Schism (thanks in part due to the Brotherhood of the Holy Sepulchre - 300 gold donations OP). Currently the game is on that character's son, Kaiser Sezima II, who's in his 50s and probably about to pass the throne on to his son Kaiser Sezima III. The year is 1183, all successions are Ultimogeniture.

Not too bad for a first major-ish game! Screenshot enclosed below, the map doesn't want to upload to imgur for me.

Spoiler
    Show
    When did you lose bohemia?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

16. - Top - End - #886

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    When did you lose bohemia?
    Right after I became Byzantine Emperor the HRE decided that they wanted Bohemia. I already had trouble on my eastern borders with the Sejluks, so I let them have it because I didn't want to be the pink Byzantine meat in the middle of an HRE/Sejluk sandwich. Jokes on them now though, I'm marrying my way into a claim on the throne.
    Really though, how effin scary would the beach be if an octopus could launch itself outta the water at a 200' move speed every 6 seconds. I'd never go to the beach again... I thought flying sharks were scary...

Blood~

17. - Top - End - #887

Damn, Hungary is getting pounded in that screenshot.

Last time I played as the ERE, I weaseled into a personal union with Hungary right away. They're a great help against the Turk early on, even if they're the wrong culture and religion, and form a perfect springboard into the HRE for when you want to reunite Rome.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

18. - Top - End - #888

Damn, Hungary is getting pounded in that screenshot.

Last time I played as the ERE, I weaseled into a personal union with Hungary right away. They're a great help against the Turk early on, even if they're the wrong culture and religion, and form a perfect springboard into the HRE for when you want to reunite Rome.
    That's actually a Hungarian revolt. I'm using the fact they still have some Catholic rulers to Holy War them into the ground.

The problem is I've lost my alliance with the HRE (kid died) and I've just had to defend against the second Jihad for Egypt. I need my alliance back, but I have no-one marriageable to them.

Blood~

19. - Top - End - #889

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSerpent View Post
    I need my alliance back, but I have no-one marriageable to them.
    Time to go to some ladies' chambers and give them a good tumble.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

20. - Top - End - #890

Time to go to some ladies' chambers and give them a good tumble.
    Kaiser Sezima II 'the Chaste' does not tumble with frivolous wenches, sirrah.

Blood~

21. - Top - End - #891

And therein lies the problem.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

22. - Top - End - #892
    Ogre in the Playground

Of course this would happen when playing a merchant republic...
    One day the Kwisatz Haderach will arise.
    Last edited by ObadiahtheSlim; 2014-08-01 at 10:19 PM.

23. - Top - End - #893
    Ogre in the Playground

And I've finally done it! The Strong Genius!

24. - Top - End - #894
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Five bucks says he dies of illness before maturity, 'cause that's how CK2 works.
    ithilanor on Steam.

25. - Top - End - #895

Not Attractive, keep trying.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

26. - Top - End - #896

Well, this Rajastan game I'm on is going....mostly good. I've seen both the Seljuks and Ghangavids show up. The Seljuks conquered a fair amount of Persia before being overthrown by someone, and the Ghangavids....well, they showed up with around 80k troops in the late 900s, and as of now stole two duchies in Punjab from me. I've been able to whittle them down to 50k as compared to my (currently) ~40k troops, though it should take some time before I can steamroll them with a well-place Holy War. Year's around 1000 AD, and the only problems aside from the Ghangavids will be conquering the Dravidian Kings, seeing as Indian Subjugations only work for the same culture group.

Other Oddities: The Shia Caliphate has took the entire kingdom of Arabia from the Sunni Caliph, who has conquered most, if not all of, Greece and Anatolia (managed to keep it after a 20-year Crusade, too.) Border-wise, Everything that's not on the Indian Subcontinent is a bloody mess and a pain to look at. France has Italy, Aquitaine is relegated to the southern portion after winning it back in a Crusade awhile ago, East Francia has absorbed Lotharingia, and Central Asia is a land of Counts.

27. - Top - End - #897
    Ogre in the Playground

You wanted attractive? I added attractive. All 3 good congenital traits.

28. - Top - End - #898
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

You wanted attractive? I added attractive. All 3 good congenital traits.
    Nice. Impressive blob, too. That demense income's pretty awesome; how'd you manage that? Blanked on the fact that you're playing a republic.
    Last edited by IthilanorStPete; 2014-08-09 at 09:21 PM.
    ithilanor on Steam.

29. - Top - End - #899
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by IthilanorStPete View Post
    Nice. Impressive blob, too. That demense income's pretty awesome; how'd you manage that?
    presumably since he appears to be playing a trade republic....

Cities, Cities, and more cities.
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    teleporting Hyper Nixon solves problems with Patriotism.

30. - Top - End - #900
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Leecros View Post
    presumably since he appears to be playing a trade republic....

Cities, Cities, and more cities.
    ...er, right, I totally saw that.
    ithilanor on Steam.