New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Sharn Sandbox Group 1

"My condolences, Ajar. The Devourer's hunger can be cruel." Juldun bows his head for a moment, then refocuses on the lives that are currently at stake. He reaches into his pack and pulls out the bag that Kalik had given to them a few hours ago, then spreads its contents across the table. "So, let's have a look at this map. And Kalik's "advance payment" as well. Hopefully, these things he gave us will prove useful to rescuing his two previous expeditions."

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground

Ject spreads the map across the table and taps a spot on the diagram."From the look of things, it seems we're best off making our initial descent through one of the runoff drainage shafts under Menthis Plateu. It will be a steep climb down, but it should get us fairly close to the ruins without needing to deal with miles of passageways."

3. - Top - End - #93
    Halfling in the Playground

When Ajar tells the tale of his lost family and home, Jepetta feels a sudden sense of loss herself. The reminder of her own lost home was hitting her rather hard, so she made the potentially unwise decision to simply down the rest of the drink she had previously been nursing. Another one is ordered, and she starts drinking it a bit quicker then previously. "To the abyss with the Blood..." she mutters under her breath in between swigs. When the second drink is finished, she drops her mug unceremoniously on the table and leans in to get a better look at the map. So, we need to climb down, eh? At least I have my grappling hook.

"How steep are we talking here? We need to go buy some climbing equipment, or will we be able to manage without?" She asks, making eye contact with Ject, her yellowed eyes seeming strangely focused for someone who had just had two portions of wine.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground

"It will be at least a few hundred feet. The descent should be more a matter of having enough rope than anything else. Ascent will be a different problem - the walls in those shafts have a tendency to grow moss and mold - but we can always take the long way back out."

5. - Top - End - #95
    Firbolg in the Playground

Ajar listens intently to the discussion of climbing, near and dear to his heart of hearts as it is. His fingers returning to their absentminded strumming once more.

"I can do some magic that helps get to high places. Makes a great bridge of shadows. Sad, but can only make one per sunrise. Should be helpingful to get everyone back out of the deeps again though."
    Ajar smiles his big toothless smile obviously glad to be potentially useful.

"Hiddow and me can carry rope and secure it too. Climbing I am good at."
    Last edited by unseenmage; 2013-12-15 at 07:43 PM.

6. - Top - End - #96

Jepetta listens to the others replies, nodding solemnly as she looks over the map again. "Alright, how much rope do we all got, and how much do we need? We could always go out and buy a huge spool if need be. I've got..." Jepetta thinks for a moment, her finger tapping the table in a short, staccato rhythm as she does. "Fifty feet of silk rope and a grappling hook. You all?" She asks, looking to the supposed climbing experts in particular.

7. - Top - End - #97

Ajar, grinning, nods at Japetta, "Hiddow carries twice that. No hook though. No pitons either. My hands climbs better; even if they do not hold on as good."

He runs one great flat hand across the bald dome of his head letting it come to rest with fingers wrapped about the back of his neck as he continues, "But if we are to rescue people, many people, we will need a lot more rope. And if they have equip-ment, books or devices? The people of Sharn love their devices. Will take even more rope. More hooks too. More pitons."

He pulls the hand from behind his head and lays his elbows on the table, resting his broad chin in his spindly flat hands as he does. "And if they climb badly? Falls. Breaks. My bridge magic will help. Could get everyone out if it were maybe from a building. But from the deeps? No, we may need more powerful devices than rope and hook and piton."

Returning his hands to their strumming, though his eyes never leave the map, "This could be much harder than 'falling off a log'." He fiddles with those last words to the common turn of phrase a bit, trying to put music to them, but gives it up quickly returning to the quiet strumming again instead.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

"This is already more trouble than its worth."
    At least this way we can get paid and not have to hide it from the watch.

Ject holds up a hand. "We don't have to come up the same way we go down. If ir'Tain's expeditions are still alive, reaching them quickly gives us the best chance to find them. Once we do, then we can see what our best way out looks like."

9. - Top - End - #99
    Orc in the Playground

"I don't have any rope, but I've got a potion that grants the power of flight--I bought it at the store where I first saw you two, actually," Juldun says, nodding at Ject and Ajar. "If we need to buy more rope, though, I'm certainly willing to contribute to the cost."

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground

Ject waves dismissively at the cost. "Between what I have and whatever the rest of you are carrying, we should have enough rope."

11. - Top - End - #101
    Orc in the Playground

"Any of you have an everburning torch?" Juldun asks. "I can see in the dark just fine, but I don't think that humans and elves can."
    Last edited by sunwukong; 2013-12-19 at 12:49 AM.

12. - Top - End - #102

Ajar looks almost startled at mention of sight. "Had forgotten the dark. Can see good in dim. Not in dark. This city, it is always so bright. There's hardly any dark to-be-found." He practically hums the last three words, strumming deep chords as he does so.

"Will have to get torches now too. Or a wand with light in it. Something. Hiddow is no bat, can't fly without sight."

13. - Top - End - #103

"I've got a lantern, and while that's not quite as good it'll serve well enough. We don't have the time to be waiting around to make one either, so unless somebody does have one we'll simply have to go without." Jepetta replies to Juldun's question. "I'm honestly a little more worried about making sure we'd have enough to eat. Rations are cheap, but I don't think we're sure of how long we're going to be down there. Plus, if there are any survivors, I wouldn't count on them having what they need for themselves to last until safety." Or, if we get trapped, for us. Jepetta thinks to herself as she sits back down.

"So, we've got our route, and we've decided on travel, done some thinking on light and food... what are we missing?" Jepetta thinks for a moment, chin in her hand as she stares at the map. "Ah, right, marching order and party roles. I'm thinking that I should take point, followed by Juldun. Ject can take the middle with the light so we don't wash out Juldun's darksight, followed by Ajar with Erika taking up the rear with that... weapon of hers. Any objections?" She asks, looking at the rest of the group, her eyes lingering on Ajar a little longer then the rest. Does he have nightsight? He said he sees fine in the dim, so I'm assuming so. He can keep a watch on our rear for the ir'Altan then, maybe play spotter.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Orc in the Playground

"I've enough food for myself for four days," Juldun responds. "Perhaps we should try to buy some more, and get plenty of lamp oil while we're at it. Your marching order sounds fine."

15. - Top - End - #105

At the mention of food Ajar reacts again, "Oh! Oh no. Some embarrassment for me. I have not foraged since I was home. Hiddow fishes good enough and Sharn has such wonderful foods... I should purchase some travel food, the hard kind. That lasts long."

His fingers stop cold and his diction improves, "I am apologies friends I must return to the market before we leave. I almost think I should go now. But am not certain that you all will not think of even more needed things."

He seems torn between putting his instrument away or remaining for the conversation.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ettin in the Playground

"Let someone who needs the light carry the lantern. I should take point. I know the area best."
    Last edited by Kyeudo; 2013-12-20 at 12:13 AM.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Barbarian in the Playground

The map is obviously very old, meticulously detailing every sewer line and tunnel all the way through Menthis Plateau down. Dimensions and structural data points litter every inch and the corner bears the stamp of the Brelish Crown Structural Authority's archives, right next to the "Do Not Remove" stamp.

If ir'Tain's location is correct, your route will take you through several descending sewer passages and a natural cave system. The ruins, if they exist, can be entered through a structural collapse drawn-in with what looks to be crayon.

The bag he gave you is fine embellished leather and contains far more space than it appears it should. Inside is a metal rod with a wrapped spiral design, five round tokens embossed with trees, and several pairs of thin goggles with blackened glass lenses.

Also, a piece of parchment:

My faithful explorer(s),

Hello! This is Kalik ir'Tain. Not literally, of course. I wrote this before I hired you (whether "you" is singular or plural). Consider the following items a downpayment for your services. You can have the rest if you survive, not that I have any doubts of that!

The metallic cyllinder is a rod of ropes. Very useful for the aspiring spelunker! The ivory discs will conjure forth a mighty tree when your need is greatest, because who can't think of a thousand uses for a tree? The goggles are my own invention, of which I am particularly proud. They will augment your vision and reverse your photsensitive ocular organs in order to grant you clear vision in even the darkest ruins. They do have the unfortunate side effect of blinding you in light, of course, but you can't make an omelet without cracking a few city districts as I always say!

Oh, and make sure you look in the pouch outside. It should keep you fed, if nothing else.

Regards,

Lord-Professor Kalik ir'Tain

Erika cracks the breech on her rifle back and begins cleaning it with a handkerchief from her pocket. "Survival is my trade, you know. I am more than capable of keeping us fed and watered. They may not be luxury inns, but caves have a certain rustic charm of their own. Do we need anything else or are we ready to depart?"

At that, she snaps the rifle closed and grins.
    Spoiler
    Show
    ITEM GET!

1 Handy Haversack, containing the following items:
    1 Rod of Ropes
    5 Quaal’s Feather Tokens (Tree)
    5 pairs of Augmented Lenses
    1 Survival Pouch (clipped to the outside)

The augmented lenses are anti-sunglasses, allowing you to operate in full darkness at no penalty but at the cost of blindness in bright light. Darkvision allows you to avoid the blindness.

They count as party loot and thus don't affect your individual wealth by level.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Orc in the Playground

"Well," says Juldun with a laugh. "It looks like we don't have to worry about food or light, after all! Anyone want to use this backpack? It would seem that it always remains the same weight, even when it's full. I don't need it, or these lenses, myself."

The armor-clad dwarf rises to his feet ponderously. "Ject, would you care to lead the way? We'd best get going."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    If anyone is worried about encumbrance, they're welcome to use the handy haversack. Juldun's speed of 20' doesn't change no matter what his encumbrance is.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

If no one objects, I'll take the Handy Haversack. I know we technically don't have to worry about encumbrance due to our benevolent overlord, but I had my light load filled to the pound.

I'll take my token and lenses, but I won't be using the second. I've got darkvision already.

Ject leads the group out of the tavern and down one of the wide, spiraling ramps used to move bulk goods and industrial workers down to the forges in Blackbones beneath. Down here, it is always hot and the air is stale and smells of smoke. Every surface is grimy with soot and refuse collects in the corners. Those seen in the main tunnels are poor, grim, and focused on whatever task they have. Humans are a minority here - goblins and hobgoblins make up the majority of the workers.

As he leads the group through the tunnels towards Khyber's Gate and the drainage shaft that will mark their first step into Undersharn, Ject ceases to maintain control of his cloak, allowing it to hang freely and exposing the symbiont on his arm. Down here, everyone who matters already knows about his brother. The symbiont covers his arm from the elbow down, an imposing mass of barbed red-brown chitin.

20. - Top - End - #110

Accepting his own tree-disk and goggles Ajar looks to Juldun, "Maybe Hiddow can use your eye goggles maybe? He sees best in open sky."

He shrugs acceptingly at Erika's offer to forage for the group's food and takes a peek inside the pouch mentioned on the parchment just in case. Satisfied that between the two Erika and the pouch would keep Hiddow and himself fed he gladly follows along as Ject leads. Lifting the pouch, "This I can carry if is okay?"

Outside he calls down Hiddow and they stay in the air for as long as possible while following the group down and down.

Spoiler
    Show

No problems from me with Ject carrying the Haversack. Any problems with Ajar carrying the Survival Pouch?

@ Retro, as a medium creature can Hiddow fly in any space where a normal medium creature could walk via the Hover feat? If not he's definitely going to slow us down as his land speed is only 10 feet.
    Last edited by unseenmage; 2013-12-21 at 02:14 PM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Orc in the Playground

Juldun eyes the glidewing skeptically. "I don't know, these goggles are obviously designed for creatures whose eyes face forward. How will they fit him? Still, you're welcome to try," he says, handing his pair to Ajar. He slips one of the five tree-tokens into the pocket of his breeches.

When the human known as Ject let his cloak fall to reveal a forearm covered in an insect-like exoskeleton, Juldun comes to an abrupt halt. Two hundred pounds of dwarf and steel suddenly block the path of whoever is behind him. "Boldrei's mercy, what is that on your arm?" he exclaims.

Show
    Now that everyone (perhaps even Hiddow) has darkvision, Juldun doesn't need to be second in the marching order. He doesn't care where he ends up, really.

This Dragonshards suggests a DC 15 for Knowledge (History) checks pertaining to the Age of Monsters, which ended with the Daelkyr invasion. Of course, knowing about the Daelkyr in the abstract doesn't know that Juldun would recognize one of their kin if he actually saw it. But I'll roll anyways: (1d20+9)[18]

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

Ject replies without breaking stride. "My brother. He says hi."
    "Hi!"
    Last edited by Kyeudo; 2013-12-22 at 02:34 PM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Orc in the Playground

Juldun hurries after Ject. "Your brother? What in the Sovereigns' names does that mean?"

Show
    Retrokinesis, do any of the party have any idea what Ject is talking about?

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

"My brother. As in family. My blood relation. I'm sure you've heard of the concept before."

25. - Top - End - #115
    Barbarian in the Playground

Erika follows the group ever downwards, rifle shouldered and taking occasional sips from her hip flask. She was far from her apartment in Upper Menthis but what were the Cogs if not a jungle of steel and fire? And it had its own beasts to hunt...

As Ject's cloak falls away she simply shrugs. "You've got something on your arm there, chap". Better to keep her knowledge of the Daelkyr's little toys to herself for now, in case he turned out to be an aberrant cultist and had to be shot.

The drainage shaft is an unassuming metal hatch on the wall, sealed with a rusted crank. Or, at least, it should be. Perhaps due to the previous expeditions, the hatch stands ajar and revealing the darkness beyond.
    Spoiler
    Show
    re: Hiddow, does he *have* Hover? If so, I don't see why not.

As for symbionts, I'll leave that up to individual player choice. Anyone with ranks in Knowledge (Dungeoneering) probably knows about them but you may have encountered them in the lower depths of Sharn and not known exactly what they were. Identifying a Daelkyr half-blood by sight alone, however, is probably much harder.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Orc in the Playground

Show
    I'm going to say that Juldun has never seen a symbiont before, and therefore doesn't know what they are.

Juldun looks to Ajar and Jepetta to see what their reactions might be. There's something about the chitinous deformity that is deeply unsettling, even if Erika ir'Tain doesn't seem to think so.

"How can...whatever that is...be your kin? The two of you aren't even the same species, are you?"
    Last edited by sunwukong; 2013-12-24 at 12:27 AM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ettin in the Playground

"You don't see the family resemblance?" Ject looks back over his shoulder questioningly.
    "Some people can be so blind at times."
    Last edited by Kyeudo; 2013-12-24 at 02:09 AM.

28. - Top - End - #118

Jepetta is, to be frank, rather unsettled by the creature on Ject's arm. While she has never seen anything quite like it before, bad memories from a time spent dead are starting to crawl to the surface. Her usually clammy, pasty white skin takes a slight tinge of green to it, not that it would be easily noticeable in the current light or lack thereof. "Ugh, it's... okay, wow, in a way, that's almost worse then the stuff the Blood was doing back home. And... you said it's your brother? What the devil was your mother then, a aberrant?" Jepetta says, trying hard to not stare at the appendage in question and not really succeeding.

Spoiler
    Show
    My apologies for Jepetta's frankness here, but lets face it, it's not exactly an unexpected response, now is it?

Also, go ahead and take the Haversack and the survival pouch you two, I've already got a haversack of my own, so its no skin off my back.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

Ject turns forward and continues walking. "It's possible. I've never met her."

30. - Top - End - #120

Ajar gladly accepts the extra set of goggles. Slipping his own goggles onto his forehead he surreptitiously slips the tree token into a secret pocket in one sleeve.
    He raises the pouch making sure everyone has a chance to see his intention to hang on to it, then ties it to his pack. Later transferring it to Hiddow's saddlebags from the weight.

Spying a refuse pile Ajar hops over and digs through it until he finds a length some string and wire tangled together. After calling down Hiddow he sets to untangling the snarl and adding a wireframe to the goggles so they will fit Hiddow's oddly shaped head.

-----------------------

Catching sight of Ject's odd arm from above Ajar notes how much more comfortable their guide seems now that he isn't hiding said arm.
    Fear starts to clog the back of his throat with a yelp but he resists the urge to sharply turn Hiddow back to the sunlight above.

He quells the fear almost completely. Quelling his fears has become more natural since he arrived in the city. 'It's not like my own appearance doesn't frighten on occasion.'

Ajar cruises Hiddow down closer and listens to the conversation eventually adding, "If my pale is accepted then is only right for me accepting one odd arm. Right?" With that he cruises off retaking his position in their marching order, from as elevated a vantage as possible.

He keeps an eye on the ceiling, knowing full well that spiders and worse hunt from the tops of passageways be it through jungle canopy or undercity stone.

Spoiler
    Show

@Retro
    Y'know, I did pick up Hover for Hiddow with this very thing in mind. Glad to know it works that way.

Any trouble with Hiddow wearing the goggles? If so, I figure Ajar's efforts to tie them on him can just fail.
    Last edited by unseenmage; 2013-12-24 at 05:57 PM.