New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: War of the Silver River IC

The young man peered into the distance, following the smudges with his eyes. His lip curls slightly as his grip tenses on his axe.

Spoiler
    Show

Survival or Perception to tell how far they are/where their nest might be (Same modifier)
    (1d20+10)[21]

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Sir Flynn Merrol

"Are we going to make a run for it to some thicker trees?" Flynn asks Coal.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Wilorin scans the skies.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception: (1d20+4)[15]

EDIT: Just read the OOC thread. I guess he listens instead then
    Last edited by Alpha0010; 2013-11-27 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Fixed perception check purpose
    You see a rainbow trout!

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

Daranae Varishiam

Daranae lead her horse off the road while trying to wipe out the remaining pieces of the leaf that had fallen in her eye as she looked up. She handed the reins off to Davik once off road and double checked that her alchemical vials and components pouch were accessible.
    What a wonderful way to start a journey.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

Garren

The ranger moved as close as he could to the gaps in the trees through which he could see the shapes; though they danced about in the sky and were so blurred, he managed to discern their shapes as vaguely birdlike. There were probably six of them.

Flynn

Coal turned to Flynn, but his gaze went past him, distracted by his own thoughts. "Yes. Until the calls stop, we wait among the trees." He faced the caravan at large, and called as loud as he dared. "Leave the wagons and move to the trees! Bring the horses!"

Wilorin

The halfling strained his ears, but heard little that he hadn't before. He only noticed the fact that some of the shrieks were more faint and higher pitched that the others. His wolf was unusually stiff and alert.

Spoiler
    Show
    Apologies for the massive stretches between posts. Lot's been going on, and Thanksgiving didn't make it any easier. I'll alert you from now on if there's a reason I might not be able to post at least once every other day.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Wilko

Scratching his head,

"Perhaps we have no need to fear the wayward bird-hybrids. Though I'll keep my six sense open to any threat for."

He begins jogging back to the main caravan.

"Call I, Wilko, if you need assistance back here!"

He shouts as he rushes forward.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!
    Spoiler: Characters
    Show

7. - Top - End - #67
    Dwarf in the Playground

The soldiers and merchants remained silent for several minutes as the shrieks continued to pierce the sky, muffled slightly by the constant din of rain on leaves. They all looked at one another and to the sky through the boughs, some praying or trembling or steeled with grim resolve should the worst happen. The horses and oxen fret, but they were trained well- they did not panic outright. The only animals who seemed in complete control of themselves were the wolves bonded to two of the caravan's hangers-on.

The minutes passed slowly, until the cries slowly died down and finally vanished. A few seconds passed as people carefully left the thick of the trees and walked back to the road. Finally, when it seemed the beasts were well and truly out of earshot, Jessa slammed her fist on the side of her wagon repeatedly, cursing violently.

"This is NOT supposed to happen!" She huffed and brushed blonde hair from her face. "First the WEATHER, now THIS?! Are we going to stop and panic if we hear a frog croak?!" She turned on Coal. "Next time, we fight whatever comes our way. We can harvest talons or feathers and make the delay worthwhile, at least!"

The soldier looked angry for the very first time- his already intimidating bearing seemed to become something truly frightening. "Listen, you foolish girl," he said in a low, terrible voice, "I do not care what relationship you have with Othos. The lives of my men are infinitely more valuable than your damned profits. We fight only when our lives depend on it. And lose your temper like that again, and you'll be clapped in irons until Othos decides what to do with you. Do I make myself clear?"

The woman paled at the normally genial man's expression and backed down immediately. Embarrassed, she sulked back to the wagon's head and proceeded to brood.

The soldiers nodded with satisfaction at the exchange, while some of the merchants appeared uncomfortable. Coal approached the bulk of them, within earshot of all our strange protagonists, and spoke.

"Forgive me. I want you to know, the safety of every soul here is our top priority. If we don't make good time, then so be it. I apologize if this is an inconvenience." He bowed slightly.

8. - Top - End - #68

The young ranger, who had by this time pretty much caught up to the rear of the caravan, slides his ax back to it's ring on his belt. As he overhears the conversation, he keeps one hand on the head of the ax, holding the reins in the other.

The wolf shakes some rain off his face.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Sir Flynn Merrol

He nodded at Coal; "Good call with the griffons," he said. "I'll try to keep my eyes up, just in case they return."

Once he reassures his horse, Flynn remounts and is ready to move out.
    Last edited by shugyosha; 2013-12-03 at 12:18 AM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Wilko

"How wonderful. An event without combat. I appreciate those."

Wilko remarks, having heard about the griffons not attempting to attack them for the moment.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #71
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

Daranae Varishiam

Daranae was mostly just glad she hadn't had to fight. She had some spells which would help, certainly, but any chance to avoid paradox was good in her mind.
    Of course. I fully understand the need for caution.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Wilorin

I couldn't agree more. There are too many civilians with us to go looking for trouble.
    You see a rainbow trout!

13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Wilko

Wilko feels like maybe he should see to Miss Jessa. He wanders over to the head and calls out to her.

"Excuse me, it is I, Wilko the Teacher. I couldn't help but notice your unhappiness. Can I do something to assist you, so you might feel better?"
    Show

14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground

Coal grimaced slightly at Wilko's disappointment and bowed a bit lower. "Were circumstances different, we might have acted differently. But this is the wisest course of action."

He turned to face the "alchemist" and the knight and nodded. "You see. Gods willing, this is all the excitement we come across on our trip." He seemed unconvinced by his own words, however, and scowled as he organized the soldiers once more.

Jessa didn't face the monk when he addressed her. "No." She fiddled with a small pendant round her neck as she stared off down the road. "He's right. It's just... frustrating. At this rate I could lose a fortune."

She turned to face Wilko. "Wait, you're the stranger who came to the office yesterday?" She looked him up and down and raised an eyebrow. "Really. You don't look like you're from around here. Have any trinkets to sell?" The notion of acquiring foreign goods seemed to bring her out of her sulk a bit.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Wilko

"I try not to carry unnecessary "trinkets" as they can easily be stolen without notice. All items on my person are needed to help me teach and/or are for combat purposes."

He pauses for a moment.

"Though my honorable Grandfather, the one who gifted me these trinkets, is a person of apparent status in the current war efforts. I could send him a letter if you are interested in items from my land."
    Show

16. - Top - End - #76

The ranger, now closely trailing the caravan, keeps an eye out for danger.

Spoiler
    Show
    Taking 10 on Perception: (20)

17. - Top - End - #77
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jessa was clearly disappointed by the monk's lack of exotic baubles. "No," she said as he mentioned sending a letter, "I'll do without. Thank you, though, for the offer." Her cold and professional bearing returned quickly and she straightened up. "Now, I think you should be off, yes? Back to whatever spot you've been assigned? Judging by the ruckus the soldiers are making, we're not staying long." She was right; the formations were quickly being rebuilt and horses and oxen prepared.

Garren looked around, searching for threats. He saw none, but he felt a sense of peace; the rain, the old trees, the smell of the woods. They called to every ranger, and he was no different.

He heard a sound to his left- a rustling in the undergrowth. Two deer, a doe and her offspring, stared back at him for a moment from only ten feet away. A full five seconds passed before they bounded off to the west.

Spoiler
    Show
    Technically, this is still "later today". Next post definitely coming tomorrow.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground

The rest of the day passed without incident, despite everyone's rattled nerves and constant vigilance. The forest continued, and the road's environs began to become hilly and rugged. The group had entered the eastmost foothills of the Gaured Mountains, which marked the southern border of the Broken Plains. Night came quietly and the caravan set itself up beneath a particularly large and sheltering oak tree. The rain continued to fall, growing steadily, and for the first time the distant rumble of thunder could be heard and faint flashes of lightning could be seen.

The weather and the close call made the first night one of mumbling frustration. Most of the soldiers were stoic about it, but some few, including Doyle and Hakun, made an attempt to be merry, for the caravan had made unexpectedly good progress.

Day 3

The third day was much like the second, for the most part. The trees grew thicker and the rain heavier, and the caravan passed the occasional traveler heading south. The canopy was the largest change; though the sky was no darker than the day before, there was the occasional use of torches midday. The boughs overhead blocked much of the silvery light. When the torches came out, the soldiers tensed and paid attention to every shadow and walked with steel drawn.

The soldiers and some of the merchants alike began to speak excitedly of Fort Kovus and the shelter and protection it would provide. It was late afternoon when the group came across a checkpoint, complete with small barracks, standing empty in the shadows of the trees.

Coal and several of the soldiers seemed confused by this. The lieutenant dismounted and banged on the building's door. Minutes passed, and there was no answer.
    Last edited by Yellow Eyes; 2013-12-08 at 10:33 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Wilko

Wandering around as he do,

"Is this common, or an anomaly? By your surface emotions, you all believe something should happen right now, but there is only inactivity."
    Show

20. - Top - End - #80

The young man paced back and forth around the checkpoint site, looking both for signs of habitation or conflict, along with signs of anyone coming or going from the site in numbers.

Spoiler
    Show

Perception: (1d20+10)[14]
    Survival: (1d20+10)[16]

21. - Top - End - #81
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Wilorin also searched the area around the checkpoint for signs of what happened.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+10)[23] Survival (I'm having trouble loading myth weavers, but I think that bonus is right)
    You see a rainbow trout!

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Sir Merrol Flynn

Once dismounted Flynn readies an arrow and moves to the nearest window. He'll walk to the side of the build if necessary and peer in.

Spoiler
    Show

don't have access to my sheet (damn fire wall at work). Yellow Eyes, if you could roll a perception and stealth (if necessary) for me I would appreciate it.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Dwarf in the Playground

Coal faced the curious warrior and nodded with concern on his face. "Yes, this post is supposed to be occupied at all times by at least three men. They all are." Two of the warriors heaved and kicked the door down together and walked in, torches and blades drawn. The barracks were dark, and those of our heroes who could see in noticed that bunks were ruffled and food was left half eaten. Smoldering embers glowed sullenly in the fireplace, and there was hardly any armor or weaponry to be seen.

Garren/Wilorin

The ranger and halfling roamed about the area, noticing several things; one, that there were old prints in the mud, slowly fading, of several creatures. They seemed to be a mix of humans or humanoids and horses. Garren noticed that the ropes tied to the horses' post had all been cut, as if whoever took them was in a hurry, and Wilorin deduced that the humanoid tracks disappeared in front of the post, but the horse tracks continued north in single file.

Flynn

The knight dashed to the building's nearest window and drew an arrow in one swift motion. He peered into the barracks and tried to keep out of sight.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception: (1d20+6)[8]
    Stealth: (1d20+4)[11]

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm back, at last. Laptop doesn't like British internet for some reason, so I'm making do with a Mac. Sorry bout the delay.

24. - Top - End - #84

The ranger, scannned the area, musing over the tracks and ropes.

Spoiler
    Show
    If the horses were stolen, where are the tracks from the garrison? If they left on foot, there should be some sign. Curious... Perhaps answers await inside.

With that, he approached the building, wolf at his side. He motioned for Heart to wait near the caravan, and guard its general area. When he saw Flynn with arrow nocked, he drew his falchion as he moved.
    Last edited by sirveaux; 2013-12-19 at 06:56 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Wilko

Wilko advances into the checkpoint. He stands out in the open area, scanning around for any signs of life.

Spoiler: Wilko's Sight
    Show
    Percetion: (1d20+14)[29]
    Show

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

OOC:
    Wow those were terrible rolls. Nice to know the dice roller hates me even through proxy. So what didn't he see.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground

Garren

Heart huffed a breath with his horsey grin and swished his tail about in a carefree manner. He was either very confident or very dim.

Garren approached the building, but didn't get far before three guards unsheathing swords approached him. The one in the middle held out a hand in a gesture of denial. "Stop! You, woodsman! Who are you, to approach this place with steel drawn? You're not part of this caravan, and you've been skulking around the scene long enough. Identify yourself."

Wilko

The monk peered into the room, held back by one of the soldiers. "Best to stay out and leave this to us, friend." He was lanky tall and slightly shaggy looking, with a battleaxe at his hip and a wooden shield on his back.

Despite this, Wilko managed to catch a solid image of the main room from the door. Two wooden chairs had been knocked over, and the small table they had stood at bore a dark stain issuing from a tipped mug on its surface. Chests at the foot of eight beds stood open, and though he could not see their bottoms they appeared to be empty. Most of the weapons and armors on the racks in the back were missing, and the rack that looked as though it was meant to hold quivers was laying on its side.

Flynn

Flynn had a feeling, when he saddled up next to the window, that the torches burning behind him would cast his silhouette into the building with stark clarity. He felt ridiculous.

He tried to peer through the window, but the rain made it difficult. He caught disjointed images of an empty and tossed room with the light of the torches held by the soldiers within.

His search was interrupted by some commotion behind him; a ranger, holding a falchion, was being confronted by three of the caravan's warriors.
    Last edited by Yellow Eyes; 2013-12-20 at 08:35 PM.

28. - Top - End - #88

The ranger looked at the guard quizzically. Then he spoke, clearly, but with the rasp of one who hadn't spoken to anyone in days.

"My name is my own, though I'd reckon you ought to ask why your man is standing at that window ready to loose an arrow into your own waystation. But it seems like you'd rather interrogate a man you've seen riding near you for days without a hint of malice. If you're in a position to turn down competent aid, so be it. "

He turned slightly back toward the caravan, awaiting the guard's next action. The wolf emitted a faint, but audible growl. The ranger flattened his left hand, and the growling ceased.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Spoiler
    Show
    So I just noticed how long it has been since the last post on the IC thread. Is everybody OK?

Sorry, just noticed I posted this here. I thought this was the OOC.

Last edited by Alpha0010; 2014-01-06 at 01:21 AM. Reason: oops!
    You see a rainbow trout!

30. - Top - End - #90

Spoiler
    Show
    Yep. Just figured everyone still had holday stuff going on. Sometimes that takes a week or so to settle down