New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Expedition to Castle Ravenloft IC

The holy water bottle breaks over the monster's head, two of Gallard's blows strike home, as do two of Slayer's blows. Jonnel misses cleanly, and Ashlyn is reeling.

The monster snarls, "Even if you kill me, you won't live much longer," and takes another bite out of Ashlyn.
    Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+18)[24](1d8+13)[21]

PC's turn.

(Gallard's sword: Glowing.)
    Last edited by Kish; 2014-01-10 at 06:40 PM.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Jonnel sneers as he hears the undead speak. He seems to be getting tired, now.

Gallard, on the other hand, takes a moment to answer the creature. He doesn't speak too much: just a few, solemn words pronounced as he repositions to keep the monster between him and his allies.

"The light shall never fade."

Both warriors press the attack, trying to inflict a decisive blow.

Spoiler
    Show
    Like the previous turn, Gallard and Jonnel continue flanking. Gallard also tries to interpose his person between the enemy and Ashlyn, if there is enough space.

Gallard - full attack: (1d20+14)[28], (1d10+3)[11]+(2d6)[4]; (1d20+14)[33], (1d10+3)[9]+(2d6)[7]; (1d20+9)[29], (1d10+3)[11]+(2d6)[9].

Jonnel - full attack: (1d20+8)[20], (1d10)[7]; (1d20+8)[28], (1d10)[3].

3. - Top - End - #213

If Brom moves out of the way (either back up the stairs or away from the stairs)--or, alternatively, if Gallard doesn't mind shoving Ashlyn into Brom and likely knocking both of them over--he can interpose himself between Ashlyn and the monster, the way Ashlyn interposed herself between Brom and the monster round before last.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

Brom heals Ashlyn again, then steps back to let her get clear.
    Spoiler
    Show
    dispel for cure serious (3d8+6)[13]

5. - Top - End - #215

As Gallard and Jonnel's swords slice into the monster, its voice deepens and it rumbles, nearly unintelligibly, "You...should...not...have...come...here." Then, as Gallard's sword makes one final cut, the monster abruptly collapses into thousands of tiny pieces on the floor.

Brom and Jonnel both realize they feel better. (Sickened condition is removed.) Gallard's sword flares briefly, and then fades.

(Gallard's sword: Not glowing.)

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

(Did the two turned undead fall as well, since the sword stopped glowing?)

Brom moves closer, studying the fallen creature. "From my improved condition, it would seem we have found the source of the matter. That poor man."

He pauses. "Let us ensure that no others can be tempted into such horror. Then back to the priest and the town, to ensure the threat has truly past."
    Spoiler
    Show
    I say we take 20 searching the room, maybe the church. At least take 10. Also, heal up. Brom and Ashlyn are still wounded, how is everyone else?

Brom 10/45
    remaining spells getting converted:
    (1d8+5)[10] obscuring mist
    (1d8+5)[10] shield of faith
    (2d8+6)[13]spiritual weapon
    Brom is up to 43

Give me Ashlyn's HP OOC and I can roll wands charges for her if needed
    Last edited by stack; 2014-01-14 at 08:18 AM.

7. - Top - End - #217

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    (Did the two turned undead fall as well, since the sword stopped glowing?)
    (Can't tell, they ran [or rather, the skeleton ran, the zombies shambled] off into the darkness out of sight long enough ago that you can't see them. They're apparently not within range of the sword as undead, though.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Give me Ashlyn's HP OOC and I can roll wands charges for her if needed
    Ashlyn's hit points are 31/45.

8. - Top - End - #218

WolfInSheepsClothing

Gallard leans on his sword, whereas Jonnel literally sits on the ground, leaning against the stone wall.

"I think we need to go back to that inn and take some time to rest. The village should be fine in the immediate future, but Strahd's shadow still lingers on this place."

Hearing Brom's suggestion, Jonnel stands back on his feet.

"I'll help you search the church."

The knight nods.

"I will also lend a hand. Oh, and that book - my opinion is that we should burn it. We should not tolerate the existance of an evil tome capable of bending the mind of good people like that priest."

9. - Top - End - #219

The zombies appear to have shambled to the edge of the room and then collapsed; the pile of bones on the other side of the room seems likely to have once been the skeleton. After you finish searching the basement, Ashlyn comments, "I somehow doubt this is still holy ground, but the only evil I can sense here now is..." Instead of finishing the sentence, she turns and glares at Ivyn.

Last edited by Kish; 2014-01-16 at 07:51 AM.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

"Now, I have not known him long, but he has proven himself a worthy companion. Now that book he claimed I would be more suspicious of. May I see it? Could you decipher anything about it?"

11. - Top - End - #221

Ivyn Nadirna

Looking behind him in the direction following Ashlyn's glare, Ivyn becomes thoroughly confused. "Huh? What evil? I don't see anything. I think your detection spell might need an alignment check."

Spoiler: Explanation for bad pun
    Show
    Italics to for emphasis on the pun. An alignment is a process where you alter the stored data a detector or sensor uses to convert a signal to another variable or control function. An alignment check is when you check the alignment data. I only wish we had something involving the numbers 5 or 7 or such so that I could make a pun off of a Prime Standard Alignment.

Ivyn will show the book he pilfered to explain the evil detection result once Ashlyn explains that he is reading evil.
    Last edited by neoseph7; 2014-01-16 at 09:16 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #222

WolfInSheepsClothing

"It's just the book. As I said, we should destroy it, before someone else falls victim of its vile lore."

13. - Top - End - #223

(Ashlyn is female.)

"Yes, the book, I know," Ashlyn says, her tone still not overly friendly. She looks at Ivyn and shakes her head, then continues in a slightly less grim tone, "I wonder how the old priest got it." She moves to the stairs.

Spoiler
    Show
    Slayer's indicated he's likely dropping out of the game; I'll reactivate or repost the recruitment thread this weekend.

14. - Top - End - #224

WolfInSheepsClothing

"Jonnel, please, prepare a small fire."

"Sure. Just give me a couple of minutes."

Gallard reaches out towards Ivyn with his hand, the palm facing up.

"Would you mind giving me the book, my friend?"

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

Brom speaks, "Let us leave this befouled cellar. We will destroy the book in the light. Perhaps I can consecrate the church one these dead things have been removed, but now let us see to the living. If nothing else the people will need to know they are safe. The priest will need us as well, I suspect it will go poorly for him if the villagers put matters together and we are not there with him. Perhaps we ought send him away immediately, for his safety."

16. - Top - End - #226

Ivyn Nadirna

"Now now. Let us not be hasty." He says clutching the book tightly to his chest. "This tome might provide useful information. It is a manual on the creation of Flesh Golems. Clearly an indicator of intent. There may be notes written in the sides. At the least there should be a section on material regents required for the ritual. Those materials will be rare and will likely only be available in a finite number of locations. Locations we can search to hunt down this... Evil.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #227

Ashlyn shakes her head at Ivyn, but doesn't speak further before ascending the stairs and leaving the cellar.

(Let me know if you're leaving the cellar or continuing the debate there.)

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

Outside, Brom looks for the fallen priest.

19. - Top - End - #229

It's night now; the fog seems to have lifted. The priest has wandered a little way away from the church, but not far. As Brom approaches, he turns to face him. "He's dead for real now, isn't he," he sighs in a resigned voice.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

Brom crosses to the man and puts a hand on his shoulder. "Yes, it is done. We will put him to rest properly in the morning, under the light of a new sun. Come, we are all tired and the townsfolk need to hear the news that they are safe. Perhaps...perhaps a full explanation can wait until the dead are buried."

21. - Top - End - #231

WolfInSheepsClothing

Sir Gallard controls the tone of his voice, but it is clear that he is angry.

"I already know where this evil comes from: Strahd. All the omens point to him - and if he is indeed responsible for the suffering of the people he should have instead protected, I will do everything in my power to bring him down."

Calming himself down, the knight continues:

"That foul book drove a good man insane; that's a sufficient reason to destroy it. Please, Ivyn: I don't want to risk losing it and thus waste a good chance to rid the world of such infernal lore. I'd prefer not to force you, but it is something that has to be done for the good of everyone."
    Last edited by Vetril; 2014-01-19 at 08:51 PM.

22. - Top - End - #232

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    Brom crosses to the man and puts a hand on his shoulder. "Yes, it is done. We will put him to rest properly in the morning, under the light of a new sun. Come, we are all tired and the townsfolk need to hear the news that they are safe. Perhaps...perhaps a full explanation can wait until the dead are buried."
    "Thank you. You've been...much kinder than I deserved."

Ashlyn looks at the priest for a few seconds, then says just, "Hmm." Then she looks at Brom and says, "So is your plan to go back to the inn now? I think the others are still downstairs arguing."

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

"They will follow presently. The book will be dealt with, but we need not squabble over it now, not when there are people in sore need of good news." He takes Ashlyn aside, "Good lady, I will need your help. I fear the reaction of the villagers when they find out the priests...failing. I would prefer to set him on the road to redemption rather than see him hung by a mob, though he did commit crimes punishable by law, at least in any jurisdiction I know. Would you be willing to take him from here, to a friend of mine that can help him atone?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    willing to head to the inn after this. Not sure if you planned on using the lady paladin after this, thought it would be a neat way to tie things up.

24. - Top - End - #234

She considers for a minute, then nods. "That's probably a good idea."

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

"Thank you for your aid. May the shining one light your way."

Turning back to the priest, "The lady will conduct you to an old friend of mine, not far from here. He will help you on the difficult road ahead." He scribbles a name and a brief introduction on a paper, handing it to the priest.
    Last edited by stack; 2014-01-22 at 12:24 PM.

26. - Top - End - #236

Ashlyn and the priest walk away down the road.

(And now, it really is your move, Ivyn.)
    Last edited by Kish; 2014-01-22 at 01:39 PM.

27. - Top - End - #237

Ivyn Nadirna

"This book is evil. And it must be destroyed. I won't argue those points. Just not now. Give me a day to study it, within your supervision even. If Evil should start to taint me, I would want someone to stop me. I don't want you to suspend your suspicions.
    "Furthermore, Sir Gallad, there are no shortages of brash decisions made on behalf of "the good of people" that led to bloodshed. If Strahd is indeed our villain, then there is the matter of how he manipulated our good priest at question. If his intentions were to have a golem fabricated, then this tome will have clues to his next targets. This puzzle needs more pieces. Please allow me some research."
    Ivyn will carefully wrap the book in cloth and keep it in his sack, away from perishable food. Then leave the desecrated church and follow the rest to town, unless stopped.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #238

The walk back to the inn passes without incident, though you see a number of corpses lying sprawled in the street, as though they abruptly collapsed. The night is clear and cold; you hear owls hooting in the distance.

The inn's common room still holds a number of people, but of those you previously spoke to, only the innkeeper is still there.

29. - Top - End - #239

WolfInSheepsClothing

Onn the way back, Gallard and Jonnel debate what to do with the book that Ivyn stubbornly refuses to parte from.

"Consider a compromise, Gallard. I don't like the idea of letting such a thing alone for more than the necessary time it takes to start a fire, but that gnome is a mage, after all. Maybe he is right, that's all I am saying."

"I fear his motivations are merely egoistic, my friend. I'll give him time until tomorrow, but then I will see that the book is destroyed. That's as far as I am willing to go. There's the inn."
    Last edited by Vetril; 2014-01-24 at 08:29 AM.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

To Gallard, "We will all be vigilant. I will also let the matter rest till morning."

Brom enters the inn and removes his helm. "The foul curse of undeath has been lifted from your town. The streets appear empty, though caution would remains wise. We must spread the news and see if any remain in their homes in need of our aid."