New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 49 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Expedition to Castle Ravenloft IC

At Brom's pronouncement, the conversation in the common room dies down. A number of people turn and blink at you, looking nonplussed. "Just like that?" one of them blurts.

The innkeeper continues cleaning glasses, seeming not to have heard what you said or noticed the reaction to it.

(Gallard's sword: Not glowing.)

2. - Top - End - #242
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Saphina stood in the common room of the inn, leaning against a wall pondering her options.

Well Saph, sure is quite a pickle you got yourself into now. You've managed to spend the last of your coin, and i doubt the keep will give you a flat on credit, AGAIN.

Maybe I could try my luck at cards, No that didn't go so well last time, besides you don't have a buy in.

The halfling's thoughts were interrupted as a group of men, adventurers from the look, entered claiming victory over some undead curse. As the room fell silent a plan began to form in the young rogues mind. "Just like that? a man sitting just in front of her asked. Saphina saw an opportunity and decided to take a chance.

"That is a good point, how can you be so sure that ALL of the cursed are gone" "they can be rather difficult to find you know." She proclaimed as she stepped away from the wall and approached the man she assumed was the leader. Looking up at the paladin she added "Lucky for you I am a master tracker, and my specialty just happens to be undead." "Seems to me you owe these nice people some sort of reassurance." Pausing for dramatic effect Saphina finally exclaims "Fine I'll take the job, but i can't work for free you'll have to share what you find, you can pay my advance to the barkeep"

Not waiting for a reply the girl grabs her bag and joins the group cheerfully making introductions. "Saphina Starshine's the name, Ranger adventurer and slayer of all things unholy." Leaning closer to the parties wizard she whispers in gnomish "wow the big guys sure got alot of shiny armor eh."
    Last edited by JohnStone; 2014-01-25 at 04:03 PM.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

"There appears to have been a central source, a powerful creature, that, once destroyed, removed the animation from the others. We must of course be cautious until we are certain, but the ones we have found so far appear to be vanquished."

He pauses, not by choice, as the miniature ranger's words flow in ceaseless stream. "Of course, we always welcome companions in the struggle against the darkness. There is likely more to be done here yet, even though the present threat appears past."

4. - Top - End - #244
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The knight eyes her with an indecipherable expression on his face. He seems to be considering something - perhaps Saphina's looks, perhaps the words she offered; maybe even her demeanor, who knows.

"Oh, we have our ways to track down the restless dead. As for you, hmm, maybe. We shall see; we are not going anywhere tonight, to tell the truth, so let's postpone the decision to the morning. The battle was taxing and we need to think about the next move."

Behind Gallard, Jonnel chuckles at Saphina's exhuberance.

Spoiler
    Show
    Detect Evil on Saphina.
    Last edited by Vetril; 2014-01-26 at 04:37 PM.

5. - Top - End - #245

Spoiler
    Show

Saphina does not read as evil.
    Last edited by Kish; 2014-01-26 at 05:48 PM.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Saphina enjoyed The bed she was given on the paladins tab. warm and soft much better than the storeroom she had begged for from the innkeep.

First thing in the morning she awoke before sunrise performing her exercises before heading out the door.

As luck would have it the gnome's room was the closest. She knocked softly, but there was no reply. "hmm you know those wizard types, probably studying or something. I shouldnt bother him.

She passed by the clerics room assuming he would be deep in prayer or meditating.

When she got to Sir Gallard's room she excitedly knocked on the door "Hey, its morning" "what do you think should we track down some clues" "maybe we could visit the graveyard or something...probably not...what do you think we should do?"
    Last edited by JohnStone; 2014-01-26 at 07:34 PM.

7. - Top - End - #247

Ivyn Nadirna

When he enters the tavern for just a split second he hopes to see the weary eyes of his former traveling companions. As if the recent events hadn't weighed enough on his soul. Somehow, the book in his pack started feeling heavier.

The young halfling had more energy than he anticipated. And was occupying a little too much of Ivyn's personal bubble. With as much eloquence as a granate boulder, he replies in Terran with: "I hope there is no similarly lustrous cavity between your ears". He then looks in her eyes and smiles awkwardly and stammers out in Gnomish: Inddd..eed they do. A bunch of shiny toys marching in file. You should have seen them in action against the zombies. Quite heroic. Well met by the way. I'm Ivyn, and unfortunately quite exhausted. If you'll excuse me, maybe you can come by my room later for a better introduction.". He doesn't wait for a response. He doesn't say anything else other than polite chatter. As best he can, especially with the stench that follows him, he makes his way to his room, dropping off a coin with the porter.

That wasn't very nice
    He thinks to himself. Whether or not she understood is irrelevant. You know better. This is why nobody likes you. With a heavy sigh, Ivyn takes out the book and places it on the small bedside table in his modest room. Next to the book he places a vial of holy water. Just in case.

That night, Ivyn will study the book in earnest, looking for any clues as to what the priest intended to do and looking to see how far he got. He checks for rare ingredients that would be ideal places for further investigation.

Spoiler: knowledge checks
    Show
    Knowledge religion:(1d20+14)[31]
    Knowledge Arcana: (1d20+14)[23]
    Spellcraft: (1d20+14)[16]
    Decipher Script: (1d20+14)[24]
    Last edited by neoseph7; 2014-01-26 at 09:47 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #248

The night passes without incident other than the incidents party members cause each other.

(The results of Ivyn's study have been PM'd; I'd continue with "when you gather in the common room," except it sounds like at least a couple people have actions before that happens yet.)

(Gallard's sword: Not glowing at any point that he was awake to notice.)

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

Brom is out to great the dawn, welcoming any who wish to participate in a simple devotion. He returns to the inn with a determined look. "We must get to work. There are many to bury and the living to attend to as well. The sun shines, it is time to labor."

10. - Top - End - #250

WolfInSheepsClothing

Sir Gallard leaves the room he is sharing with Jonnel, and heads downstairs.
    The knight is not wearing any armor nor weapon: instead, he sports elegant, sophisticated clothes more adequate for a ball at the King's castle than for a village which just the day before was besieges by undeads.
    Gallard gestures Saphina to wait for a moment; then, he calls the innkeeper.

"Please, good man; fetch me a pole and a big white piece of fabric. White, mind you."

Jonnel arrives, carrying Gallard's sword.

"At least take your sword with you, Gallard."

"We talked about it already. I cannot; and if I will not return, my family blade will be useful to you."

Jonnel doesn't seem satisfied by the answer, but he doesn't say anything. Having settled whatever matter the two were discussing, the knight now dedicates his attention to the halfling and to his friend.

"I defer you two to Brom for today's work. I am planning to do something else, and I won't be here to help you. Still, there's one more thing I can do, before I leave."

Without waiting for a reply, Gallard walks upstairs again, and stops in front of Ivyn's room door. He knocks on it and calls the gnome.

"Ivyn. It is morning, and we have a book to destroy."

11. - Top - End - #251

Ivyn Nadirna

"Indeed." Ivyn is standing in the hallway outside his room, about to knock on Gallad's door. It's easy to miss somebody so much shorter. His eyes have a dark ring around them, his clothes wrinkled and greasy. In his hands is the book.
    I cannot help but wonder if the evil within this tome is from the words written by an evil hand or the acts described. Its proximity to evil acts over time? If you burn it will the smoke be evil? Should we douse it in holy water first?
    If you are ready to light it, I have no objections. There is however, a slight problem. This tome is incomplete. Do you think the priest is in a stable enough mental condition to discuss it? I have other questions regarding evil-undead transformations. And family members.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

Brom takes those as are willing and sets out to begin the work of finding the living and taking the dead to the cemetery for blessing and burial. He makes a note to stop in to visit the acting burgomeister's sister, to make sure she made it through the night.

13. - Top - End - #253

WolfInSheepsClothing

Gallard listens to the gnome and ponders for a minute, before replying.

"Incomplete? is a part missing, or was the author unable to finish it? In the first case, we should look for the remaining part. Personally, I believe the most dangerous thing that can come from that book is knowledge. Here is how I think we should do it: the book is to be burnt in a secluded place; if you think it will make it safer, we could ask Brom to bless it beforehand. Jonnel can help you with the preparations. As for the priest, is it important? My counsel would be to forget about him - were you in his shoes, would you be willing to remember the terrible things you had done?"

14. - Top - End - #254

The innkeeper blinks uncomprehendingly as Gallard's request for a minute, then he produces a large piece of white fabric and holds it out. "For a pole, ah," he pauses, "I don't have one here, I'm afraid. Try Bildrath's Mercantile."

There are significantly fewer people gathering in the inn's common room this morning than were there when you went to bed last night. Still, Brom has no trouble gathering people to collect and bury the corpses; they seem to have gone out and observed that the undead were gone, and are acting a lot more impressed toward you than they were last night.

Ismark is not in evidence.

Last edited by Kish; 2014-01-28 at 12:46 PM.

15. - Top - End - #255

WolfInSheepsClothing

Sir Gallard accepts the fabric with gratitude, and thanks the innkeeper.

"Walk with me, Ivyn."

That said, the knight walks downstairs once again; he leaves the inn, stopping only to ask one of the peasants for directions to reach the mentioned Mercantile.

Meanwhile, Jonnel goes out with Brom, to help gathering the corpses and preparing them for burial.
    Last edited by Vetril; 2014-01-28 at 12:53 PM.

16. - Top - End - #256

Ivyn Nadirna

While normally I would point out that knowledge is uncaring, this knowledge is specifically the manipulation of flesh through corruption of the soul, as per undead animation spells. As for the priest, I wish nothing more than to let him begin his journey for redemption unmolested. Unfortuntly, the book has pages removed. And the evidence supports that the only user of this tome is the priest. It may be worth scouring the church to find the rest. I will ask to read them first, but then they must be destroyed. I'm sure you can agree that pages out of this book should not be left out to be discovered.

Spoiler
    Show
    Took some liberty with the description of both Animate Dead and its use in the construction of Flesh Golems.

Ivyn will head out to find Brom to dispose of the book.
    Last edited by neoseph7; 2014-01-28 at 12:58 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #257

Bildrath's Mercantile is directly across from the inn. There are two men working there; Gallard recognizes the younger one as one of the men who came out to rebuild the barricade last night. The older man greets Gallard with a friendly smile and introduces himself as Bildrath. He won't agree to give you a pole, but readily agrees to sell you one for three silver pieces.

Last edited by Kish; 2014-01-28 at 01:37 PM.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

Brom takes some time to carefully destroy the book, taking what precautions are necessary.
    Spoiler
    Show
    if there is a spell or something that would help, let me know. I presume burning it while its bound in a magic circle against evil would work quite thoroughly.

19. - Top - End - #259

WolfInSheepsClothing

"I fail to understand what you could possibly learn from reading such despicable things. Were it for me, the book would have been destroyed immediately."

The noble son of house Ravensgate addresses the merchant.

"That's quite an expensive pole, Bildrath. It better be of superior quality, eh?"

Gallard pays the merchant, takes his newly acquired pole, and ties the fabric he got from the innkeeper to fashion a white flag. He then returns to the inn stables, where Valiant is waiting for him.
    Riding his horse, Gallard is the living portrait of nobility. The knight goes to meet the rest of his friends.
    Once he has found Brom and Jonnel, he tells them quite simply:

"I'm going to the castle to meet the local lord. Wish me luck, my friends."
    Last edited by Vetril; 2014-01-28 at 03:09 PM.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

When I suggested going to the graveyard this is not what I meant

Saphina spent the better part of the morning helping with the task of burying the dead. She had been digging graves for hours, her back ached unaccustomed to the work. She wiped sweat from her grimy face with an equally soiled hand.

How do you get yourself into these things Saph, I mean really a girl of your talents should be living the good life by now. Like Gallard, did you see the way he was dressed, probably off to tea time with royals.

Oh well at least its work, and I'm sure these fellas will have something more interesting to do soon enough.

As she looked around the halfling realized she had dug herself quite literally into a hole, about six feet deep actually.

"Um, Brom are you there..." "Jonnel..." "Oh Great just Great!"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    OOC... I hope Saphina isn't to disruptive to an otherwise greatly played game, i don't plan on being a complete nuisance (too much). I just wanted to set the stage.

That said I heard something about SEARCHING a church, i wonder if someone might come along looking for our stranded halfling.
    Last edited by JohnStone; 2014-01-28 at 07:03 PM.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

Brom reaches a hand down to help haul his new companion out. He gives a chuckle, "Enthusiastic, aren't we?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    I also mentioned visiting the Burgomaster's house. Anything happen there?

22. - Top - End - #262

The book burns as easily as any nonmagical book; the smoke from it smells kind of thick and greasy...but not so much that you can be certain it's not just your imagination.

(Now I need to know who's going where when. If I understand correctly, directly after burning the book Gallard is setting off for the castle alone and without his sword, Brom, Saphira, and Jonnel are going to bury corpses and then to the burgomaster's mansion or possibly in reverse order, and Ivyn ?)
    Last edited by Kish; 2014-01-29 at 07:31 AM.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Well Saphina only heard a bit of the conversation, but would like to join Ivyn in searching the church for the lost pages. I was hoping Ivyn would request help or something. As far as the burgomeisters house, I guess we would have stopped there on the way to the graveyard (perhaps saph and jonnel went ahead while the cleric went in?)

24. - Top - End - #264

(The burgomaster's house isn't on the way to the graveyard, but let me know if you're splitting into three groups. In the interests of not getting bogged down, if I don't see a clear consensus that you are doing so by tomorrow, I'll proceed with the next turn on the

everyone burns the book

-> Brom/Ivyn/Saphina/Jonnel dig graves -> Brom/Ivyn/Saphina/Jonnel go to the burgomaster's mansion

-> Gallard goes to the castle

chain of events.)
    Last edited by Kish; 2014-01-30 at 10:01 AM.

25. - Top - End - #265

(Gallard's subthread is being taken to PM until it's concluded. For the rest of you:)

An aged and dilapidated mansion squats behind a rusting iron fence, but the gates have been twisted open--one lies torn from its hinges, while the other swings crazily in the wind, screeching and clanging with mindless repetition. The house beyond is marked by claws, fires, and ominous stains. Every window is barred, every door barricaded.

The time is about noon. It's still sunny; you think you might see a hint of the fog returning, but that could just be in your minds. Having been all through the town gathering bodies, you can tell that the burgomaster's mansion is, unsurprisingly, the largest building here.

(Gallard's sword which Jonnel has: Not glowing.)

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

Brom approaches the house cautiously. He raps on the door and calls out, "Is anyone inside? The threat appears to be past and we seek those in need of aid."

27. - Top - End - #267

After a minute, you hear the sound of the door being unbarred. A beautiful, haunted-looking young woman opens the door. "Hello," she greets you softly. "I'm Ireena."

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

Brom bows cordially. "I am Brom Sunborn, servant of Pelor. These are my companions. We met your brother yesterday. We have since dispatched the immediate cause of the plague and are seeking out survivors, to lend aid as needed and spread the word that it is safe. We are also tending to those who have passed. Are you injured in any way? Your home appears to have been attacked viscously."

29. - Top - End - #269

"Come in." She stands aside from the door. "They didn't get inside. It wasn't just the last week's zombies--I don't know how much my brother told you, though he did tell me about heroes who had dealt with the zombie plague."

The well-furnished mansion shows considerable wear, though the holy symbols hung in every room of the house draw attention from the soiled divans and ratty carpets. A man's body in burgomaster's robes lies in state in the front room.

Last edited by Kish; 2014-01-31 at 08:39 AM.

30. - Top - End - #270

WolfInSheepsClothing

Jonnel gives a respectful nod to the woman as he approaches. The warrior is carrying two swords on his side today, an uncommon sight.

"That would be us, Ireena - even though not all of us are here. Is that your father? My condolences, I'm told he was a good man."
    Last edited by Vetril; 2014-01-31 at 11:13 AM.