New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Necromancer Prestige Classes

What classes would you recommend for a level 8 human Dread Necromancer?

The revised Necromancer Handbook states that that is the time you SHOULD
    Prestige Class Out, but only goes into detail on Pale Masters (which are unappealing to me) and classes that absolutely blow.

So, what classes would you recommend?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Necromancer Prestige Classes

First, you should know that the "PrC out of DN at 8th" issue is one that has fervent supporters and detractors, who are likely to weigh in here. Forewarned is forearmed.

The sort of PrC you aim for with a DN - should you hold fast to that choice - depends in large part on how your particular DN plays in combat. If he's a debuffer/fear-monger, the recommendations are going to be very different than if he's a Corpsecrafting minionmancer. If he wades right in to combat, the recommendations are going to be very different than if he typically eschews fighting, or uses a bow, or (in niche cases) prefers to use Mounted Combat.

How do you envision your DN playing, or how is your DN playing thus far? Answer that, and we'll be better equipped to give advice on which PrCs are good choices.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Dread Witch is good if you're into fear.

If you're playing a Dread Necromancer for the minion feel, which I think is the point of the class, stick with it until 20. Undead mastery is keyed off class level, and with a decent Cha a DN 20 can have several hundred HD worth of undead animated, not even touching their other control pools. When I make a DN I make it to play a minion master, so I'm one of the people Amphetryon mentioned that will advise you don't actually prestige out.

Pale Master is a solid prestige class though, what about it don't you like that wouldn't also apply to Dread Necro?
    Last edited by Zanos; 2013-10-29 at 07:46 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

i think blood magus (complete arcane) is a nice idea, but it loses 2 caster levels, needs to have died and been resurrected before and requires the feats 'great fortitude' and 'toughness'. But hey, i'm willing to do all that stuff to just be able to bloodwalk once in a while!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Griffon

I would recommend continuing the DN class...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Max Caysey View Post
    I would recommend continuing the DN class...
    Because after level 8 you pretty much get nothing new and nothing thats actually worthwhile sticking in the class.
    The DR isnt that great, to go all the way for, the Lich transformation if that is your aim is idiocracy as going Necropolitan from the earliest levels is much more rewarding and beneficial. A will save bonus.... whoopdie dooo.
    Then take Pale Master, free raising, more useful and multifunctional touch attacks, cohort and other buffs at the cost of only 1CL.
    This is pretty much the same for most of them. I can agree that going DN20 isnt necessarily bad, but you cant tell me its better than PrCing out.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Tainted Scholar would be my choice but not at lvl 8. I'd say lvl 12 since you'll have Animate Dread Warrior. Even if you choose the fear thing lvl 12 should be your jump point since you'll have Aura of Terror and you'll can build on that.

Anyway, Tainted scholar is pretty strong. Full spellcasting, spell like abilitites, very high DC's, etc plus you don't suffer for high taint.
    Other prestige classes to consider: Shadow Adept, Ultimate Magus, Wearer of Purple, lord of the dead (if you're already a necropolitan)
    Last edited by DruidAlanon; 2013-10-31 at 05:33 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

DrowGirl

Debuffer -> Shadow Adept, insane DCs, DM will throw books at you.
    I had this in practise and it will piss him off for sure XD

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Red Wizard or the alternative sources of Circle Magic are a viable alternative to DN20 for the non-apocalyptic Horde Necromancer.

Necromancer 1 / Dread Necromancer 6 / Red Wizard 5 is my favorite for the horde necromancer. Cl 40 Animate Dead and CL 40 Command Undead go a long way.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Ansem View Post
    Because after level 8 you pretty much get nothing new and nothing thats actually worthwhile sticking in the class.
    Unless you subscribe to the idea that the increased cap on undead controlling with DN only apply to DN levels. I'd ask the DM on his reading before jumping out if minionmancy is the goal.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Elderand View Post
    Unless you subscribe to the idea that the increased cap on undead controlling with DN only apply to DN levels. I'd ask the DM on his reading before jumping out if minionmancy is the goal.
    Still get plenty of HD out of the CHA modifier.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Level 12 comparision
    Necromancer 1 / Dread Necromancer 6 / Red Wizard 5
    Animate Dead: 4x40(cl)=160HD
    Command Undead: 40 undead
    vs
    Dread Necromancer 12
    Animate Dead: 12x11(cha)+4x12(cl)=132+48=180HD
    Command Undead: 12 undead

Level 14 comparision
    Necromancer 1 / Dread Necromancer 8 / Red Wizard 5
    Animate Dead: 8x11(cha)+4x40(cl)=88+160=248HD
    vs
    Dread Necromancer 14
    Animate Dead: 14x11(cha)+4x14(cl)=154+56=210HD
    Command Undead: 14 undead

Level 20 comparision
    Necromancer 1 / Dread Necromancer 14 / Red Wizard 5
    Animate Dead: 14x12(cha)+4x40(cl)=168+160=328HD
    vs
    Dread Necromancer 20
    Animate Dead: 20x12(cha)+4x20(cl)=240+80=320HD
    Command Undead: 20 undead
    Last edited by OldTrees1; 2013-10-31 at 05:39 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Well, the Dread Witch is good for fear, as well as the Tainted Scholar. If you're more adamant in the necromancer thing, I'd go with Pale Master, or Master of Shrouds if you like shades and phantasmal-undead. Do not take True Necromancer please. Strangely enough, the Sandshaper could also be a choice, since it goes kind of well with the idea of undead, because the flavor of the Sandshaper implies that the ghosts of the Pharaohs empower you. That, and you get extra spells :p.

You could also take a few levels in Warlock, and pump up with Eldritch Theurge. The Nightmare spinner is sort of like the Dread Witch, but the Dread Witch is much more powerful with fear.
    MAGIC, n. An art of converting superstition into coin. There are other arts serving the same high purpose, but the discreet lexicographer does not name them.

Taken from The Devil's Dictionary

Spoiler
    Show
    My Warmage Guidebook (notice I said Guidebook, not Handbook), still in the works.

Pathfinder's Inquisitor Handbook.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    And they only speak barbarian tongues, which naturally consists of saying "bar bar bar" over and over again.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

How about an Archmage? Despite the focus on Necromancy, the Dread Necromancer does actually have enough spells from other schools to qualify for it. Arcane Reach makes your touch attacks all the more dangerous, Master of Shaping can allow your Fell Animate (Spell Name) to avoid hitting the party and who can say no to flat out increases in Spell Power?
    Why settle for being a Dread Necromancer when you could be the Arch Necromancer?
    If you feel like quoting something that I have said, you have my permission to use it. Unless it makes me look stupid.
    Gaming Laws, Fallacies And More
    My Homebrew
    Feel free to browse and comment on any of my Homebrew. I enjoy feedback.
    Love my Avatar? Well, why not check out the comic that it came from?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

Hey I have just created a level 6 tabaxi necromancer but I am a bit stuck I was just wondering could I use my 20ft of climbing speed and then double it using my Feline Agility or dose it only work on my normal movement speed and I am going to be fighting a tarrasque at the end of my campaign and I know it has a weakness to acid I was wondering would there be a way to enchant my quaterstaff and my dagger with acid but would their be a way of doing it without the acid destroying my weapons

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

Or is their any of weaknesses the tarrasque has that I could exploit or use against it my dm said we won't be going against it until we are nearer to level 20 seeing as at the moment in the campaign there is me LV7 tabaxi necromancer, LV7 tortal barberian ( beserker), LV7 warforged paladen, LV7 kenku rouge, LV7 Aarakocra gunslinger, And there are three more players but I can't remember their races and classes but our DM said that we won't be going against the tarrasque until Nearer level 20 but I won't to perper my guy now ready for the fight by finding out the monsters weaknesses and finding out if it can be killed

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

I think you've got the necromancy part down just right. thread Necromancy, at any rate :P

I suggest making a new thread with your question, and make sure you post it in the section for the right edition, as the Tabaxi that gets 'feline agility' is part of dnd 5e.

Also, I wouldn't bother preparing for a fight you'll do at level 20 when you're only level 7, unless you level multiple times each session, as getting there will normally take you 1-2 years, and the campaign might fall apart before then.
    Last edited by DeTess; 2018-11-12 at 07:07 AM.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

You should consider Dreadmaster, if you can deal with divine casting requirement. Negotiate with your DM to take Undead Leadership for the requirement as well. If you can enter that PrC, you will be an undead lord. Note that you lose level dependent benefits of Dread Necromancer such as Rebuke Undead or number of HD you can control.

If your game continues to epic, Dread Necromancer 20 is fine to grab Demilich, but I am not sure DN 20 is qualified for acquiring that template.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

Alright thanks and how would I go about making my own thread

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Walker in the waste + a level of sandshaper is sweet.

For more "classic" necromancy feel, maybe fiendblooded for spells?

Or Master of Shrouds, if you can get in and you enjoy incorporeal undead.

Though it's hard, it is possible to optimize True Necromancer, if you REALLY want to know every necromancy spell.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

He is a necromancer but he uses his necrotic spells to bring back fallen allies and to heal communitis instead of bringinger back undead and causing havoc

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

There's the Zombie Master if you're looking on third party books. It is in the Ultimate Prestige Classes Vol II; 5/5 casting (either divine or arcane), 4 times your CL in undead control, spontaneous animate dead spells, zombies created are at 50% HD and +4 profane in Strength, close range inflict spells upon your zombies, the ability to reanimate your fallen zombies with another animate dead, bolster undead.

I know it is not 1st party, but it is the closest to a "Necromancer Prestige Class" I could think off outside True Necromancer.

Edit: Whoops!
    Last edited by Yael; 2018-11-21 at 01:38 AM.
    Check out which is the Playground's favorite Dragon!

Quote Originally Posted by Ursus the Grim View Post
    "Narass, what's the scouter say about their power level?"

"**** if I know."
    >> My Extended Signature <<

Hey guys, I'm a vestige! And a spell!

Awesome avatar by Cuthalion.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Max Caysey View Post
    Well... Thats your opinion! I think that its fairly cool to become a lich. There are a lot of cool abilities and if you play in faerun, you might just want to check out all the added abilities some liches gain.
    Max... Max... You are arguing with a 5 year old post, and made by a banned user to boot.