New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 47 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Silver Stars of the Eclipsing Moon

(yes)

Inside Mia's room, the group finds the cleric sitting next to a table. On the table is a large book and a basket of bread. There is also a mug of water, and five cups. "I'm glad you could come so quickly." Mia says, opening the book. "Last night, I met Baztikk in the library. The two of us stumbled over this book, and it mentions one of the symbols on the door. Listen to this."

"Michelle Ami, also known as the maiden of water is perhaps the most profilic of those who fought in the war. (...) At some point, Ami was found to always be carrying a strange blue pendant in a shape consisting of a short line over another, with another line curling itself out from the long line. No one knows what happened to this pendant, because she hid it before she died. However, on her deathbed, she said that "the key to the key is within my soul". Thus far, no one has been able to understand what she meant by it,"

"The war the book is referring too is a war during the foundation of Sotonia as a nation against werecreatures. Both I and Baztikk agree that the pendant described is very similar to one of the symbols that was inscribed on the door. I am curious as to what you think though."

2. - Top - End - #122
    Troll in the Playground

Stumbles a bit at the word "Lycanthrope" as he enters the room, but then drifts over to the table, picking up a piece of bread and some water.
    "I don't know much about history, m'afraid," Bronsk mumbles through half a mouthful of bread. "But I think the door is important somehow. I would like to come along when hyu investigate."
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

3. - Top - End - #123
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Baztikk

"Mia mentioned that the necklace itself is nowhere to be found. Since we've got so little to go on, I don't know if we need to worry ourselves about it; we might be able to get through the door without the necklace. After all, we don't even know if it's connected for certain."

He pauses to take a sip of water before continuing.

"However, that specific symbol might be important; if the door is a puzzle or summat then that symbol could be a part of the soution."
    Quote Originally Posted by My D&D Group
    "I roll a Knowledge(kobolds) check."
    "You have Knowledge(kobolds)? Even in D&D, you're a dork."

4. - Top - End - #124
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lisaa

This recent frequency of the topic of werecreatures is strange. Hmm, maybe something bad will happen, with all these rumors around ... or maybe I'm just paranoid.

Lisaa lets the words of the book sink into mind. "Hmm, the maiden of water ... a blue pendant ... this colour is often associated with water. Maybe water is the key ... maybe some of the other symbols are tied to different elements ...", she says slowly. "I don't know, just some thoughts."
    Last edited by Amiria; 2007-01-21 at 06:01 AM.
    The Countess of Mispelling hath returned !__________________________________________________ _________Behold my magnetoresistance !
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingAScarab View Post
    This isn't just any drow. This is a drow who is willing to have a good-aligned flying snake come out of her body so she can then fart rainbows.
    Outer Sphere__________________________________________________ _______________Inkatar !__________________________________________________ _______________Starship

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #125
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGirl

Sasha

Sasha smiles at the elf, oddly energetic for so early in the morning. She was many things - a werewolf, a sorceress - but most cruel and evil of all, she was a morning person. "Thoughts are good. This is why many mages and professors work in groups, thoughts multiply with one another." She recites, remembering her mentor's speech on the topic with some disdain. "I know this pendant sounds promising, but we don't have any idea where to find it, and no doubt many others have tried already... unless any of you can think of leads?"

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

"Except for the things she left behind, there doesn't seem to be anything that can give leads. There is a museum in the capital where they have most of the things they believe belonged to her... but yes, it really is odd that no one has found it before. Although water might be a clue. If not for the pendant then perhaps to the door. If blue is water, that would perhaps mean that red is fire. But what about the other colours. Brown, that might be earth. But what is left then? Air... might be purple or white but... I don't know. And what would the other three colours mean then? Ether? Void? Spirit? Those are only regional elements. Only fire, earth, water and air are considered world elements..." Mia shakes her head. "This really is a strange happening. It doesn't seem too coincidential either." Mia mumbles then quickly regains herself. "I'm thinking about the rumours. The daughters of the queen of Nephreitos, the sudden increase in sightings of werecreatures, and the Vanadis of Miklagard having godlike powers. Somehow, I feel that they are all tied to the revealing of that door."

7. - Top - End - #127
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Baztikk

"Right, so wot do we want to do then? I can't imagine us waltzing into the museum; don't think they'll 'ave much time fer us at all. I think our best shot will be opening the door, unless any of you have a better idea. And if we can't get it open, then maybe we'll find some more clues there today."

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

Bronsk smiles "Hyu know, I think he's right; unless it'z a sealing door, why not open it?"

9. - Top - End - #129

Lisaa

The elf nods at Baztikk's suggestion. "Yes, let's return to this door today. If it is opened by a riddle then me have a chance to solve it. And if not ... well, we still have a pick."

Lisaa turns to Mia "I also heard lots of those rumors recently, also about werecreatures. Did you also hear that a trading company allegedly hired a werewolf ? Anyway, as yet I can't see how the daughters of the queen of Nephreitos and the powers of the Vanadis are linked with this."
    The Countess of Mispelling hath returned !__________________________________________________ _________Behold my magnetoresistance !
    This isn't just any drow. This is a drow who is willing to have a good-aligned flying snake come out of her body so she can then fart rainbows.
    Outer Sphere__________________________________________________ _______________Inkatar !__________________________________________________ _______________Starship

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

Mia shrugs. "I've heard those rumours yes, but I'm not sure if I believe them. Wouldn't it be very dangerous for those who worked with the werewolf if it turned out he was unable to control his powers? Anyway, I can not see a direct link either, other than that it is odd, and that odd things have been happening recently. And I am unsure if it is coincidental, or if there is some underlying plot that we don't see."

11. - Top - End - #131
    Troll in the Playground

Bronsk clears his throat. "Hyu know, werewolves iz not all bad. Sure, they Are strong, and wolflike, but when hyu understand the natural world, hyu know they iz no better or worse than anyone else. The difference is power!" Bronsk smiles, as he warms to his topic "If the greengrocer iz a bad man, well, often there's little he can do; even if he murders, he can be stopped easy. A werewolf, if wicked, iz much worse, but!" the young Nord lifts a finger "they can be a powerful force for good, too." He seems to realize that he's been talking too much, and hurredly takes a drink of water, hiding behind the mug.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Baztikk

The hobgoblin is extremely careful not to give any response to Lisaa's comment.

.o0(Now 'oo was running their mouth 'bout me? Must'a been Julian...that lad can't hold his liquor. Drunk as a pixie in a beer bottle, and that's before 'ee even starts.)

"So, shall we get going? We may 'ave a long day ahead of us. And if there is something to all these rumors, we don't want to be caught out after dark."

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

"Oh yes. I'm sorry to keep you." Mia hurriedly stands up. "I can clean up here, so just go ahead. I hope that you can figure out something more today. I will try my best too. Hopefully there are someone who works here who has a bit of knowledge."

14. - Top - End - #134
    Troll in the Playground

Bronsk stands quickly, and bows awkwardly. "Thank hyu, M'lady, for your hosp- erm. Hospitalty? Hostpitalty? Erm." He blushes slightly and hurredly walks to the door, seeming anxious to leave.

15. - Top - End - #135

Lisaa

Lisaa rises smiling. "Good bye, Mia. Thank you. Lissenen ar' maska'lalaith tenna' lye omentuva.*" She picks her things up from the floor and follows Bronsk to the door.

* = "Sweet water and light laughter till next we meet"
    Last edited by Amiria; 2007-01-23 at 05:44 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #136
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Baztikk

The hobgoblin gathers his belongings and joins them as they leave. On their way out of the city, he buys a crowbar a long collapsible pole, and a high-quality magnifying glass from some street vendors.

"The glass should help me get a better look at the door...and the crowbar might help us get it open."

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

"All right all right, So I should have bought a crowbar." Bronsk makes a face as he walks out of the door.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Baztikk

Baztikk grins at the comment.

"Well, you seemed so attached to that pick, I didn't want to say anything. Besides, if you're going to threaten me with tools, we at least should each have one in case we need to duel. Would hardly be fair otherwise."

The hobgoblin makes a face back at Bronsk, very happily surprised at how well they are getting along.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGirl

Sasha

"Now, a duel would be an interesting change of pace..." Sasha replies with a smirk. She was so excited to be going back to the strange door... "If your crowbar and pick don't work, I can try some of my master's scrolls on the door as well."

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

Mia smiles and sends the group on their way with well wishes and blessings. The group travels up to the door, and arrives as the sun is nearing her highest position in the sky. There doesn't appear to have been any changes to the door, or to the surrounding area.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Baztikk

"Right, before we do anything, I'd like to take a close look at the door. Someone puts a door out in the wilderness, they're liable to protect it with some sort of wards or traps or summat, right? I'll take a good close look at it, see if I can find anything along those lines."

Drawing the magnifying glass from his belt, Baztikk proceeds to meticulously go over every inch of the door, looking for gas nozzles, acid sprayers, spikes, and any other sort of nasty surprise.

((OOC: Search, taking 20. Total check result: 28))

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

Baztikk carefully searches the door for any unpleasant surprises there might be. He discovers that the door is protected by several magical guards that are triggered when someone tries to open the door. After an even closer search, he finds that the spells progress in a circle, so that once a spell goes of, the next spell will prepare itself and trigger should the attempts to break through continue. Unfortunately, he is unable to dechiper which spells will go off, due to his lack of training in spellcraft. He also notices that the holes next to the symbols work not only as a lock, but also as a puzzle. Each key will activate and deactivate some traps, and only when all traps are deactivated will the door open.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Baztikk

The hobgoblin explains his findings to the group, and then sits back for a moment to examine the entire situation.

"There could be some very nasty surprises here...I don't think that my crowbar will do us much good at all."

((OOC: So are the holes keyholes that require a specific key, or are they just triggered by putting something in them?))

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

Bronsk paces around the room, looking thoughtful. "Why would anyone add a puzzle as a door lock? It makez no sense! Keys, yes. Traps, yes. But a puzzle? A puzzle only can mean zat whoever built the door wanted it to be opened much later by people she didn't know. Unless we also need a key, a riddle iz no safeguard!"

25. - Top - End - #145
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGirl

Sasha

Sasha stands back respectfully as Baztikk scrutinizes the strange door. She knows as well as anyone that, sometimes, people need no distractions in order to figure out something. "This is an item of great magic, I think." She says aloud to Bronsk, smiling as she approaches the door and places a hand on it. "Magic is not an easy thing for us... mortals to understand. Baztikk, is there any way I can help you with this?"

26. - Top - End - #146
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Baztikk

"Bronsk makes a good point. Puzzles are meant to be solved, and that means there must be clues. Maybe we should start with that symbol that Mia found in the book. It seems that it must be an important part of the puzzle."

27. - Top - End - #147
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Baztikk

The hobgoblin explains in detail where the magical traps seem to be located.

"Sasha, I have no skill in deciphering what kind of spells might be cast. Perhaps you can identify them?"

28. - Top - End - #148

Lisaa

"It sounds like powerful and dangerous magic. The safest way to open it is to solve its puzzle.", says Mirage and stares at the coloured symbols on the door and muses. "The yellow and the blue look very different from the others and the red is the only one which has an arrow ..."

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #149
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGirl

Sasha

Sasha listens intently as Baztikk explains the trap. "Interesting... let's see what's been put up here." Turning her eyes to the door, Sasha steps so her toes are almost touching the wall, and places her hands against the stone as she examines the magical trigger and the spells that lie beneath. She can almost feel the arcane energy of the door, but she focuses her effort, trying to tell what the magic was set forth for...

Spellcraft - (1d20+10)[14]

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

Unfortunately, she find herself unable to comprehend even the simplest of the wards. She only manages to identify that the door is enchanted so as to resist being dispelled by the spell "dispel magic".

(You can put things into the keyhole. But if it isn't the correct key, the door will sense it as an attempt on intrusion and activate a trap. Trying to pick the lock requires a difficult sleight of hand check along with a disable device check.)