New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 52 12345678910112651 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default A Dream of Quiet (IC)

In the distant south, lying in a crater nestled amid volcanic peaks, Beyond The Dreams Of Avarice, is the City of Gem.

Although the world is a harsh place, things here have been peaceful. There is little fighting amongst the nobles, fees are not harsh, and even the conflict with Paragon is lessened slightly. Everything is calm. Too calm.

Although a sidereal agent has been dispatched to investigate the strangeness, Yozi cultists preach on the corners in the glare of daylight, and plots to seize Gem's wealth continue unabated, everything is proceeding as usual. As the day draws to a close, the rich lounge in underground mansions, and the poor give thanks that the withering glare of the sun is finally retreating. The Sun Market is closing down as their shielding light fades away, while the legitimate place of business are just starting to open their doors. Crime lords scheme, slaves draw gems forth from the depths of the mountains, and children play with marbles.

Night is falling across the Jewel of the South, and the city is coming alive. In their manses and houses and discarded strawberry crates, our heroes are stirring. This is a vast, shining city. It is the last bastion of order in a world falling even further into chaos. What will the Chosen make of it?
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: A Dream of Quiet (IC)

Pyrus lovingly polishes his construct mount, talking to it in low tones, as if to a lover. His house servants have learned to stay away when he does this, it's just better for everyone. When he's finished, he mounts up and revs the engine. "Oh yeah, purr for daddy. What's that? You want to go play in the desert? But I just polished you...Oh, you're such a dirty girl. I can never say no to you, come on!" He pops a wheelie and heads out, darting through the rooms of his rented townhouse and scaring his servants, before bursting through the door and heading out onto the surface.
    "Can you do science to it?"
    "I can do science to anything."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Onyx Wing
    A figure in worn Delzahn robes exits a small alley, leaping back momentarily as some crazy guy on a magic motorcycle barrel's past.
    Really? What kind of messed up place is this that they have horse-drawn carts and magical motorcycles in the same place?
    Walking down the street, Wing slowly makes his way to the market. Always a good place to hear the latest gossip, and he just might find some work there.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

In the meantime, in a nearby park, a homeless musician plays his little makeshift mandolin. Good enough to get some money, not good enough that people find it odd that a wandering bard is so good. It's hard for a master to play below his ability, but Drake - or, rather, under this guise, Sparrow, the Haslanti bard, one of his favorite characters to perform - is certainly good enough to do so.

He raises one eye as the motorcycle goes by with its engine noise, noting it to himself - that one Dragonblood was a pretty odd one. Worth keeping an eye on. But now, his main objective were the Yozi cults. He'd been able to find out a lot, from chatting with the odd groups of hobos under the bridges. There were apparently some come prophets to the town or something, that had the cults in a bit of an uproar, and a lot more bold-faced than usual. Well, well... tonight we're going to have to make some questions.

In the meantime, he lets himself have some fun playing, and performing the charismatic fool act with complete naturality. Heh, well, I am a bit of a fool myself, eh? he thinks to himself, with a mental chuckle, as he changes the song to an improvised string rendition of a fragment of Mozart's The Magic Flute, to cheer up the crowd...
    Last edited by Drascin; 2010-12-23 at 04:52 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

As Pyrus speeds through the streets, he sings Guns n' Roses' Welcome to the Jungle. In English.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Up until an hour ago, the Green Sun Prince Perfected Crystal Orchid had been having a normal day of plotting the perfect route to ingratiate himself with House Arbani, wrapping up with the customary cackling laughter, quiet enough to pass unheard by the neighbors - though what they thought of him, he didn't particularly care anyway. After that end to a day's scheming, until a few minutes ago, the unassuming smith Harmonious Sapphire Orchid had simply been preparing for the night, and its potential customers.

A few minutes ago, however, a man rode by on a motorcycle singing in English, and so now an odd white-coated man is striding through the streets, occasionally accosting random passers-by and asking them if they saw a two-wheeled artifact driven by. His mind bubbling with possibilities, the most likely is that Raziel has snapped somehow, except that whoever this English-speaking man is, it doesn't sound like Raziel. Orchid pauses, thinking to himself, Now what am I still missing that could explain this?...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Rejoice!"

On a busy street corner near Pyrus' home-and for the moment, a certain Malefactor's lodging arrangements-a wild-haired man, eyes wide with the madness of faith, stands at a portable soapbox, one of his only posessions in the world. A pretty sad arrangement-one that his mistress Cecelyne is somewhat embarrassed over-but one he plans to transcend very soon.

"Yes, rejoice my brothers, my friends. For the true gods of this blasted world are returning, and they are pleased. For they see in us, in you, the suffering they have endured, usurped by their very children and imprisoned within their own souls! They have seen your suffering, and they bring an end to it. They shall bring an end to slavery, an end to poverty, and begin a new social order-one not defined by accident of birth and wealth, but of merit and wisdom! Through them, you shall no longer be the dregs of society, looked upon as nothing more than trash, but each and every shall rise to their true caste, what each and every one of us wishes to be! And all they ask from us-all they have ever wanted-is loyalty.

One may wonder why he was pretty blatantly preaching Yozi worship, let alone a version that spat in the very face of the Guild and to be frank, both his inner demon and his confidant familiar initially did the same thing. Yet Raziel had noticed something about alleyway prophets back on Earth-namely, you didn't actually listen to what they were saying unless you wanted to hear it. While Raziel was notoriously hard of perception, his general assessment of human nature in regards to evangelists was perfectly accurate-the only people that seemed to actually be paying attention to him were a group of people who looked like they had seen better days, assuming they ever had a better day to begin with.

If you wish to know more, please, take my pamphlets. If you find what lies within pleasing, please come to our meeting tomorrow at Noon, in the Sunken Bazaar. There, my friends will take your to our meeting location, where we shall reflect on the Imprisoned Saviors' teachings and their goals.
    Last edited by Leliel; 2010-12-24 at 11:38 PM.
    My Homestuck role is Thane of Space of the Land of Insanity and Frogs.

The Malkavians would be proud.

Thanks to Mokipi for the Exalted avatar!

For avatars of your own, he's on White Wolf.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfPirate

Amelia walks through the streets of Gem in a fairly random fashion, looking for anyone she recognizes from the Lap. Mainly those she tried to free, though she wouldn't complain at finding that others had gotten out on their own, either in the confusion or afterward.

It again occurs to her that she might have been faster than the people she tried to free, though that train of thought gets less likely with each passing day.

The language washes over her, and she hears...singing. Getting progressively closer. Amelia recognizes the tune, which is odd; she doesn't know many songs from this life. She tries to place it, starting to sing along under her breath to see if that helps.

"<You can taste the bright lights, But you won't get them for free, In the jungle, Welcome to the jungle>--ah, that's it!" Amelia realizes a few people started looking at her curiously and stops as she notices she just used English.

<Okay,seriously, did we all end up in Gem? Has someone done such a good job with a conspiracy that even people who are part of it don't know? It there any rhyme or reason here?>

Amelia tries to get a good look at the man singing, but only manages to see hair and a motorcycle. The motorcycle might be a help in and of itself, really.

She goes off to find Orchid.
    The three great secrets of public speaking: Hello, my name is; roll with it; thank you for your time.

crackle

9. - Top - End - #9

[Streets, near Pyrus's house on the east side of Gem]

The early risers out on the streets draw to the side as the motorcycle roars past. One man who had to jump out of the way shakes his head as he dusts off his coat. "Lunatic. Honestly, someone with a valuable machine like that screaming gibberish at the top of his lungs. Disgraceful." Another man, in long robes, nods sagely. That was certainly no mortal tongue.

[Same street, near an alleyway]

"The nobles can afford all kinds of crazy toys," comments a passerby, headed in the same direction. A woman in plain clothes leading a pack mule laden with goods of some sort. "Good evening, sir. I admit, it seems a bit unfair that some travel in such luxury while we trod along on our own feet, but that is the way of life."

[Same street, outside a smithy]

A woman is loitering. Pacing, really. In front of the shop. Well, more to the side, out of any line-of-sight from inside. Just in case Orchid sneaks back inside. Dressed in flowy white silks, and frowning slightly to herself as she plans.
    Then she catches sight of something (someone) along the street and stops, staring off into space for a good few minutes as thoughts and essence flows reorient themselves in her.

[Nearby Park]

The crowd...isn't sure what to make of this music, sounding like nothing they've heard before. A couple laugh and drift away, while a couple cheer and through a few more coins Sparrow's way. This sounds pretty cool.
    A young boy steps up as the song comes to an end. "Excuse me, but whadda ya call that song there? Funny style o music, that. Is that music from way up north, o summat?"
    A Frisbee Rainbowed Air-Catching Fun Disc goes sailing overhead, far left of its original course, and a child rushes to catch it.

[Two blocks north, one block west from Pyrus's House]

For a city where Yozi-worship is not just an odd habit but a crime punishable by gruesome death, Raziel is surprisingly correct in his estimations. His words seem to slip off of those who would be best without hearing them, and the disenchanted gather close around. Someone could point out that he was here, and they would have to come execute him, but he's not making trouble, is he?
    They do not all listen long, or even all take his pamphlets. Today, he is doing a little worse than usual with the crowd-attraction, but still fairly well. Gem has its fair share of the broken and the lost, and some are desperate enough to hear his words.
    This place, it might be noted, is not far from the park.

[Exit to the Surface at the end of Landdin Street]

The sun has just dipped below the horizon, and in the twilight people are beginning to emerge into the open air before and after Pyrus. One block along, a left turn and straight on to the edge of the city, the gates to the desert beckon...
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2010-12-25 at 09:38 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    [Streets, near Pyrus's house on the east side of Gem]

The early risers out on the streets draw to the side as the motorcycle roars past. One man who had to jump out of the way shakes his head as he dusts off his coat. "Lunatic. Honestly, someone with a valuable machine like that screaming gibberish at the top of his lungs. Disgraceful." Another man, in long robes, nods sagely. That was certainly no mortal tongue.
    The bike skids to a halt and Pyrus gets off, walking back to the lippy mortal. The bike followed at his heels on it's own. "Excuse me neighbor, I don't think I heard you correctly."
    Last edited by Rhyvurg; 2010-12-25 at 11:11 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Onyx Wing
    Ah, I don't envy them much. Going that fast, you'd miss the journey, and the lessons it brings. Though I wouldn't say no to a cart or the like. I'm T..Wing, by the way.
    He winces at using his Earth name. But still, it's nice to talk to someone, after so long in the desert.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    Satomi by Elagune

12. - Top - End - #12

[Pyrus - Landdin Street]

The man in the robes smirks and turns, taking a few steps away. The 'lippy mortal' just looks at Pyrus. "I'm sure not. I can't think of anything I said that might have given you reason to stop." His expression practically dares Pyrus to correct him, the fool.

[Onyx Wing - Further down Landdin Street]

"Ah, pretty philosophical, that. But carts are nearly natural things. I wouldn't say 'no' to one myself, if I had one at hand." She chuckles and shakes her head.
    "Pleased to meet you, Twing. Are you headed along to the sunken market too?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

[Nearby Park]

The crowd...isn't sure what to make of this music, sounding like nothing they've heard before. A couple laugh and drift away, while a couple cheer and through a few more coins Sparrow's way. This sounds pretty cool.
    A young boy steps up as the song comes to an end. "Excuse me, but whadda ya call that song there? Funny style o music, that. Is that music from way up north, o summat?"
    A Frisbee Rainbowed Air-Catching Fun Disc goes sailing overhead, far left of its original course, and a child rushes to catch it.
    "Indeed!" Sparrow answers happily, when he finishes the verse. "I come from far, far away, beyond the great Realm, and I know a lot of songs that aren't known around these parts. I'm hoping the novelty will bring some nice amount of silver on my hands - I do need to eat and such, you know!" he laughs, winking at the young man, before looking at his instrument in a bit of dislike. "Only problem is, this piece was supposed to be played by four instruments - couple winds, a string, and one percussion - so it loses a bit of its strength when I play it alone with this old thing. But, it's beautiful nonetheless, ain't it, my dearest patron?" he asks, doing a little riff on the strings.

Then, however, his ears pick up some words on the wind from a nearby street - words claimed about in magnificent tones and great volume, about Yozis and demons.

Well, time to work.

He looks back at the man, with a smile, picking up the little bowl he's used to ask for the coins and emptying it into his pocket. "But now, my dear audience, I must go for a while! The life of a fool isn't easy, you see, and it is one's calling to be there whenever something that should be mocked is happening!" he adds, doing an elaborate, flowery theater salute with his extremely attention-grabbing hat (as a decent prestidigitator, Drascin knew the trick to disguise isn't to look like someone else, but to look so attention-calling that nobody remembers your actual face and instead fixates on your trappings, and so when you change clothes nobody can associate you with your previous you. As Drake, he makes use of the knowledge greatly), and heading to the source of the declaration with a practiced happy step. Truth be told, he's all but happy right now, but he's a good actor. Thank whatever god isn't an irresponsible ass that I actually dressed the part instead of just trusting the Resplendent. Bet you a dollar there are demons afoot, and they could see through it he thinks to himself, sourly.

And so, he arrives, and listens for a bit. He takes a pamphlet, and reads it.

And then, still in his fool role, raises a hand from under his huge hat. "Now, excuse my daring, sir, but, you know, I'm just a wandering bard, and all I know are the folktales and stories, but" he starts defusing the situation with a bit of bumbling, "but aren't these great gods you mention in these pamphlets - good printing, by the way - the ones who create demons? You know, the things that escape every now and then and go around eating people? It's just, sir, I like my flesh - it's been with me for so long I don't know what I'd do if it was gone! Well, actually, I think I'd scream, on second thought, but you get what I mean" he says, joking and acting a bit afraid.

Indeed, to all appearances this man is just a passing fool, one of the many, many idiots in the city of Gem. But, as it's well know, it's always been the role of fools in every court to say in jest the truths that nobody dared tell the king, and it does make the people around a bit less enthusiastic - nobody likes the prospect of demons eating their face, after all!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Raziel chuckles. He had encountered hecklers before, and, he often found their arguments easily demolished, by the simple fact that there were more demons then erymanthoi.

"Ah, I see you believe the lies of the Usurpers. Well, I hardly blame you...but..."

Suddenly, Raziel's "grandiose" voice dies out, replaced by a note of puzzlement. He tilts his head and raises an eyebrow in confusion at the oddly-dressed man before him. Besides the strange clothing-it looked more like well-kept stage props (he should have known, being an actor in a different life) then actual clothing-he also seems to have been a bit oblivious to the climate, what with the hat and all.

"Excuse me, sir, but if you don't pardon my asking, your hat appears to be rather hot. If you don't mind my asking, why do you wear that thing in the desert?"

This wasn't actually suspicion-Raziel tended to be rather blunt if he didn't catch himself. He honestly was wondering what was up with the hat.
    Last edited by Leliel; 2010-12-26 at 11:49 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Well, this also works Drake thinks, a bit surprised. Point is defusing the speech first thing, and then seeing about the guy himself.

This was really such a useful hat. The Jägermonsters would be proud.

"Well, you see, these are but the tool of my trade! I am a musician, a storyteller, and a jester by profession, my good spokesman. Since I left the service of my noble Dynast patrons years ago to walk the roads instead, the very bread I eat each day depends on my ability to be obvious and bring merriment, be it with my word or my appearance!" he says, doing a small hop and saluting elaborately with said hat, with a smirk. "And I have found that there is nothing that will predispose an audience to sympathy as well as a merry performer with a truly, wonderfully outrageous Nice Hat" he winks, his obvious mischievous demeanour causing some stifled laughter around the audience.
    Last edited by Drascin; 2010-12-26 at 12:15 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

If it wasn't Raziel who was a victim of the sudden topic change, he'd probably be laughing too.

Instead, he briefly curses in English, muttering something about TV Tropes and the members thereof, just before he goes back to the debate.

"Yes, yes, tools of the trade, amateur acting, and all that. Getting back to the point...

...Why are you staring at me? Is it that odd to hear someone curse in a native tongue? <Not that I would be suprised, what with that hat being a one-person heatwave to the brain...>

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

[Onyx Wing - Further down Landdin Street]

"Ah, pretty philosophical, that. But carts are nearly natural things. I wouldn't say 'no' to one myself, if I had one at hand." She chuckles and shakes her head.
    "Pleased to meet you, Twing. Are you headed along to the sunken market too?"
    Ah, just Wing. And yeah, I'm going that way. Always found the markets are the best place to hear the local rumors. Plus, well, I find my self somewhat bereft of funds at the moment, so I was hoping to find some employment.
    Satomi by Elagune

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

[Pyrus - Landdin Street]

The man in the robes smirks and turns, taking a few steps away. The 'lippy mortal' just looks at Pyrus. "I'm sure not. I can't think of anything I said that might have given you reason to stop." His expression practically dares Pyrus to correct him, the fool.
    Pyrus grabs his collar and casually lifts him off the ground with one hand. "You're quite the disrespectful mortal aren't you?"

19. - Top - End - #19

[Drascin - Park]

The man nods. "Yeah, beautiful. It truly is." When the flourish comes, he tosses a few extra coins to the man, before continuing on his way. That was a pleasant diversion to start the day, but there are things to be done.

[Preacher's Corner]

A few people draw away. Some part of them knew the same stories, yes, but to hear someone outright say, 'demons' changes things. It is not a thing to say out loud here, and they really shouldn't be seen by this madman anyway. There were other ways. They are not that desperate, are they? And he - hat...? At least one passerby stops to admire the ridiculous garment. It is quite something, no?

"Justwing? That's a nice name. What sort of work are you looking for? Maybe the mercenary market would be a better place for you?" She winks, Wing is his name clearly enough. "As for rumors, maybe. I find somewhere that people are more relaxed tends to give you more to hear. Markets are for business, after all." Not for talking.

[Pyrus - Landdin Street]

He struggles for a moment before he realizes it's hopeless. He's only got so much strength, and even a mere Terrestrial can easily quash that.
    "Only to those of you demons who don't deserve my regard." He manages a short laugh.
    The robed man heads off at a quick walk. Most people give the two a wide radius, although one or two stand to watch the confrontation.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2010-12-27 at 07:29 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

He struggles for a moment before he realizes it's hopeless. He's only got so much strength, and even a mere Terrestrial can easily quash that.
    "Only to those of you demons who don't deserve my regard." He manages a short laugh.
    The robed man heads off at a quick walk. Most people give the two a wide radius, although one or two stand to watch the confrontation.
    As the white-coated man catches up with the halted rider, he reaches out to catch hold of a not-quite-fleeing mortal for a moment, and asks if the rider here is the same one who was singing strangely earlier. Releasing the mortal without particularly caring about the answer, he continues to watch the progressing scene dispassionately, eyes flashing green as Orchid scrutinizes the more-important dragon-blooded, adding more data to his observations.

Spoiler
    Show
    Just a basic Perception+Awareness roll to notice things about the mortal and Pyrus. Pyrus also gets the Insignificant Embers Intuition treatment, so I know that he's a dragonblood, what aspect, and his Essence... And, if he notices the green flash, he knows that something is up with me, too. 2 personal motes, if it matters, leaving me 14 more.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

"As Bill Pardy would put it, my easygoing nature is being sorely f***ing tested. Were you born this stupid, or did you have to study up?"

Spoiler
    Show
    That's a Slither reference, BTW.

22. - Top - End - #22

[Pyrus and Orchid - Landdin Street]

He shakes his head slightly. "Nah. Being right just comes naturally to me." The mortal is mortal, somewhat strong-looking, with darkly tanned skin and short hair, light grey and red clothing, and looks by now totally calm. Pyrus...looks and is how Pyrus is.
    The robed man nods and mumbles something affirmative as he leaves the scene.
    One of the folk watching the dragonblood notices a green flash and looks curiously at Orchid.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

"You do know it's legal for me to kill you, right? But, I'm not going to. Death is to easy. When you're dead, you can no longer be made to suffer. So how about I tie you to my bike and road-haul you till you're nothing but a pelvis wearing a belt?"

24. - Top - End - #24

[Pyrus and Orchid - Landdin Street]

"Yeah. I know. Enjoy it while you can; your people won't be around long, and then we'll see." He shrugs. "You better have a strong rope."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Orchid glances at the man who looks curiously at him, but it doesn't matter much whether he saw or not; no mortal could recognize him anyway if he wished to be disguised instead. Turning back to Pyrus, however, it sounds like this particular twice-Usuper is quite nasty enough, and yet... He was singing in English, so he can't be allowed to simply leave like that. Perhaps something that he can use to bring Pyrus back later... And the Defiler has an interesting idea.

"Hey, friend, no need to do that to one of my slaves." He turns to the mortal, and adds at more length, "And as for you... I'm offering to buy you as a slave, and I think it'd be in your best interests to accept if you value your life. Some hard labor might even knock sense into you, if your utter lack of it hasn't already killed your chances." He turns back to Pyrus, and smiles with overconfidence, lest the next part not work... "That acceptable punishment, sir? Of course, I wouldn't blame your wanting to still use the motorcycle either... Or did I get the name of your wonderful artifact wrong?" He says motorcycle in English - Flametongue lacks the appropriate word, after all. Hopefully, Pyrus will understand... and everyone will add two and two together and think he's just a stupid stranger trying to show off magical knowledge to the Dynast like a proper sycophant.
    Last edited by aetherialDawn; 2010-12-27 at 11:06 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

\
    [Preacher's Corner]

A few people draw away. Some part of them knew the same stories, yes, but to hear someone outright say, 'demons' changes things. It is not a thing to say out loud here, and they really shouldn't be seen by this madman anyway. There were other ways. They are not that desperate, are they? And he - hat...? At least one passerby stops to admire the ridiculous garment. It is quite something, no?
    Raziel scoffs and starts picking up his soapbox.

"All right, I can tell when I've lost. I don't know who you are, but don't think you'll be able to find my brothers-I've been here a lot longer than you, and I have some powerful friends."

"...And you still haven't stopped staring at me. Stop it. You're starting to spook me."
    Last edited by Leliel; 2010-12-27 at 11:09 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Pyrus opens his mouth to reply to the mortal, then does a double take at the newcomer. "Wait...motor what?" He switches to English. "Watchoo talkin' about Willis?"

28. - Top - End - #28
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfPirate

Amelia notes some commotion as she wanders around, looking for Orchid. Hm. Show-off singing in English on motorcycle, now a commotion. Two and two is... Ah. And I don't have to worry about finding Orchid.

She stands slightly off to one side, no closer than the circle, but close enough to see what's going on

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyvurg View Post
    Pyrus opens his mouth to reply to the mortal, then does a double take at the newcomer. "Wait...motor what?" He switches to English. "Watchoo talkin' about Willis?"
    ...Well. This should draw some attention. If another of us is here, anyway. Amelia looks around at anyone else paying attention to the English-speaker and memorizes faces. Being seen at one such occasion is nothing much, but seeing any repeats could be useful. And this fellow doesn't seem like the subtle type. Ah, patterns.

Amelia waits for the commotion to die down so she can talk to Orchid. And hopefully, the stranger. Interesting, to meet someone who speaks English but isn't related. A nice story-piece to add to her repertoire.
    Last edited by LauWren; 2010-12-28 at 02:26 AM.
    The three great secrets of public speaking: Hello, my name is; roll with it; thank you for your time.

crackle

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leliel View Post
    If it wasn't Raziel who was a victim of the sudden topic change, he'd probably be laughing too.

Instead, he briefly curses in English, muttering something about TV Tropes and the members thereof, just before he goes back to the debate.

"Yes, yes, tools of the trade, amateur acting, and all that. Getting back to the point...

...Why are you staring at me? Is it that odd to hear someone curse in a native tongue? <Not that I would be suprised, what with that hat being a one-person heatwave to the brain...>
    Now, you have to give to Drake - he recovers quickly. He'd stood still for a second as he heard the TVTropes reference under the other man's breath, utterly dumbfounded - but he recovers quickly, his mind racing now.

"Oh, no, my good man. It is, however, to hear you using such language. I have to say, I consider myself quite the cunning linguist, and I can speak several language families easily - comes with the job, you see" he smiles, playful. "But that is quite an odd one. And one that I have heard before - though the person who spoke it refused to reveal where it is from. It seems to be quite the mystery! And given that I gain my sustenance with stories, I am sure you'll understand my curiosity. Could I be so bold as to ask if you could tell me where it hails from?"

Twisty words, yet not a single lie. That was really goddamn circuitous, me Drake thinks to himself. Should have just gone with a standard lie. Why do I keep trying to be witty when I'm anything but?

Well, at least people seem to be dispersing. Good. That at least is a minor success. But now he has a bigger mystery on his hands...

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyvurg View Post
    Orchid makes a slight strangling noise, which is several steps less obvious than bursting out laughing in the middle of the street. He coughs and manages to reclaim a little dignity, before repeating, "Am I incorrect sir? I only know a few of the technical names, from serving a Dynast once before..." More misleading kissing-up. He's not looking for a job, however... "<Motorcycle, and shall we ditch the crowd?> If I'm wrong, perhaps I could ask you to correct me while we negotiate?..." He glances at the mortal, who has proven more useful than expected already, and more suspicious. Honestly, he has no use or desire for slavery, but it's a great excuse to separate Pyrus from the observers and discourage anyone from drawing too much attention.

Melodies Within Fog 'tugs' gently at Orchid's mind, and simply conveys Amelia is here, receiving a mental nod in return. Neither knows what to do with that yet... But it's comforting to Orchid to know that his sister is at his back. Hopefully she'll understand that the slavery thing is a trick, since he doesn't want to have to try and explain that to a former Laplander.